Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - The repaired mug goes to La Mariana on Oahu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,811 replies

Wow, Wendy! That Mars Attacks mug is downright INSANE! Simply drawing and painting all that detail would be challenging--I can't fathom sculpting it as well. Bravo!

I'm also taken with the passion fruit mug. I'm kind of a nut for passiflora. Can't wait to see it completed!

They all look fab! ...but I could love hula bob like a child...that brings you drinks...and doesn't require attention only admiration :) Can you tell I don't have children lol

Yet again thanks for sharing and making me smile. Keep resting the hand and have a great weekend!

Prikli Pear and Piddersthecat two names that start with a P. How about that! With such nice comments as yours it will be hard for me to give this hobby up. I really just beam when I read these. Thank you both very much.

=========================

Update on Wish List #7

This very tall Tiki Bob bowl is for David Nelms aka Chippy.

It has a removable small Tiki Bob made on top to hold a flaming rum sugar cube.

I didn't center it too well for the photo.

Here I removed it to show the spotted interior.

======================

A lot of different glaze colors for this mermaid Robyn's mug.

Duncan CN glazes can be layered just like regular paint.

After touch ups and a second firing the mug is done and it's time for a whole bunch of photos.

=======================

The next two mermaid statues are for Robyn and HB Tiki.

I've tried to make the first mermaid look like Robyn. I made her favorite hair adornment with seahorse to make it work.

I've sure had a lot of fun projects this year and we are not done yet. There are so many to go I am shocked that I'm getting them all done. One day at a time.

Cheers, Wendy

Man what a great page
Awesome colors Wendy
They alll look great...

Nice! I love how everything turned out.

It's funny, for some reason that King Diamond mug came to mind the other day; fun to see it all finished. Let alone doing the actual art work - I'm still having trouble just coming up with an idea as creative as all the wish list folks!

hang10tiki each time you pop up here it's like a visit with my friend. I was working on your mug last night. It needed some tiki tweaks and a second firing. Thank you for checking out my art and for the nice comments.

bamalamalu I enjoy looking at all the items on the Wish List too. I no longer have the space to keep them for a group photo. Posting on Gallery is as close as it gets. Thank you for your message.

Wish List #7 A Cat Gone Bad. This mug was designed by Bullet aka kingstiedye. When it came out of the kiln after glazing it had a whole lot of glaze skips. So I started re-glazing it. I heard a loud POP! I looked and it had cracked 2 mm's on the necklace. Maybe it's still OK. So I fired it. It came out looking the same but still had glaze skips. So I re-glazed it today. When the glaze dried and I looked the crack was now from the necklace to the bottom of the mug. Horrors, so much work gone. I have it in the kiln again just to finish the glaze off. It can be displayed but not drunk from. It becomes a free mug.

Bullet came over to pick out the colors of glaze with me advising. In the end they were off.

You can see I carved the right numbers here, 98.5 but then I saw another picture and changed it to other numbers 93.3. The carving was correct. This mug is cursed!

Out of the kiln.

All the glaze skips.

Te second glazing.

The crack.

I didn't take photos of the third glazing. In two days it will be back out of the kiln, hopefully in one piece.

Wendy

Meow

T

Wendy, what a creation, bummer about the crack and the skips. :(

hang10tiki what noise will you make for a shark?

TikiAno I've had one other mug crack after the person had picked it up. I am making it over again because it's a special occasion mug. Bullet may just live with his which is now free.

==========================

Wish List #7 update. Shark Attack, this one really bit me!

I glazed inside the drink compartment and then inside the mouth. Glaze went all over the girl too. No way to avoid it.

I cleaned her up.

I glazed the gums, teeth and her hair which is a different red color.

I did the sharks eyes and nose and then her body color.

I was trying to get my brush behind her and I managed to break her loose. Well that enabled me to glaze her backside.

Then I used more glaze to glue her in place. Firing will make that permanent. I even did her blue flower.

Done and posing.

The Wish List brings me many challenges. Cheers, Wendy

No noise
Be very very quiet
:)

Cats definitely have personalities just like the mug. Too bad about the crack and skips, but that guy looks great no matter what!

I think it was Bob Ross who used the phrase "happy accidents"...the girl coming loose was your happy accident of the day.

Happy Monday!

hang10tiki I once had shark meat for a meal and it was like roast beef rather than fish.

Piddersthecat there are always mugs that don't make it all the way. I am hoping that in the end the shark doesn't join the cat. It did make glazing work out better and I like photo ops like that. I'll remember that, "happy accident".

==================================

Wish List #7 continues on with Diver Down for Theo Stool. Friend him on facebook and watch his adventures.

This mug required patience because there were so many surfaces to glaze. It took a few days.

I figured that I would stop here and fire it and then finish it off after that. You can always add glaze and re-fire but you can't remove glaze if it's too thick.

Wendy

That's awesome

Diver down - WAY Cool

hang10tiki ahhh, I live for those remarks! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Holler Waller thank you too. When I'm asked what I will make I always say anything because one time I made a Mayan Temple of the Jaguar in a bowl held by three Jaguars. So I mention your wish often.

================================

Wish List #7 contines on with Jen Tirri's Horror totem pole.

When I was asked to do this mug I wondered if I could make any of these characters look right. Since I haven't seen these movies you will have to decide.

Glazing has been the second challenge. One face and weapon at a time.

First I did Freddie's whole face blood red.

I wiped off the extra red glaze from the areas that will need to be flesh colored.

Then I covered the whole face in pale flesh glaze.

I did his gloved weapon hand.

I carved the flesh color glaze back off to reveal the blood red glaze that was underneath.

It will look completely different once it fires. Wendy

Wow I forgot about this mug
Can't wait to see it post kiln

This last handful of mugs is just unreal...MAN.

hang10tiki I am so far behind with photos that many I show here are already at their new homes. Yours will be the same. But it's fine to post them when they arrive and then I still post the steps later on.

HopeChest as I said to hang10tiki, he'll have his mug way before I post the in-progress photos and the same for you. Your mug is cooling in the kiln and by Saturday morning I will be able to remove it and to check it out. The letting on yours was a killer to do and my fingers are crossed it turns out.

=============================

Wish List #7 continues with some of the HUGE Maori lamps. These are not wired so the buyer has a project to finish them off.

Here they are:

I do projects according on how much room is in the kiln and how tall the piece is. So in addition to the two wished for lamps I did one extra.

Each lamp has a removable lid. This makes putting in all the lamp works easier.

This wish is for Dr. Tiki Mojo aka Whylee Raven aka Dave and Eva.

Then it was time to do the extra special lamp for Jeffery Bannow. His is one that I hand built and added on designs to the side and then carved them. He request the color of burgundy. I found a glaze called dark wine.

When all three were finished I put them outside to dry. If your glaze is on too thick and cracks it will separate making big glaze skips. So it's better to keep your glaze watered down and to do more layers. These had three each drying in between each layer.

Once dry I could put the lids on to carry then into the kiln shed. But if I fired them this way they would be glued on permanently

Now I have all the projects that needed touch ups as well as those newly glazed ready to load into the kiln.

Loaded and

ready to fire. But there's still more to load.

When I went to put two more shelves into the kiln one was going to be too close to the thermal couple.

So I took every thing out of the kiln and worked until I could to the second layer with the shelf further away.

This group of photos end on 6/24/17. I have many more to post coming up soon, cheers, Wendy

Those r huge.........

T

HOLY. MOLY.

Just caught up from the past few days. Love the newest (or not so new??) Wish List pieces.

If anyone doesn't know, the amount of work Wendy puts into glazing each piece is enormous. Her attention to detail on these, especially the latest ones posted, jeez, Louise, I'm glad you glazed it and not me!

Can't wait to see these glaze fired. :)

Wow.

hang10tiki and heavy. I cast them extra thick so they will hold a large shade without a problem.

TikiAno ah, thank you. From one fellow ceramicist to another, I know we wish for one coat glaze!

It is no fun to open a jar of glaze you need and to find it dried out. If you leave any lumps they become glaze skips.

I save all my large jars so that when I have to do this I can transfer the reconstituted glaze into one of them.

Wish List #7 this is for Bulkmar Abdoberman a facebook friend.

He requested a three breasted version of my Hot Tub Hula Girls but in a grey caldron.

He requested glitter black and there is a glaze called a shimmer that is like that requested color.

So many colors means so much work. I open and close many jars a day.

Time will tell if I got it right. Wendy

Wow
That's a lot of colors for 1 mug
It's Wendy cool :)

Well well well
Got home from work last night
and saw a giant box in the kitchen...
Could it be?
Yep

Dang Wendy
These came out AWESOME
Couldn't be happier
U are a Tiki Goddess
Thanks soooooo much

1st pic is my inspiration
Just wish he was still standing
All that's left are his feet
So sad

Thanks again Wendy
You nailed em both

Here is all that's left now :(

So thanks for bringing him back to life :)

hang10tiki you sure know how to make a girl happy. Your photos are so good I'm going to put them on my gallery page. I'm so happy I made your wishes come true. Not everyone has had that happen so the tiki gods were watching over you. Thank you so much for letting me make these for you.

Wish List #7 progress report. This is for Tiki Wahini (that's spelled how she likes it). She requested a Stud in a cannibal pot just like the one I made for Geoffrey Mathison. Here it is glazed.

He is about to vomit because a head just floated to the top of the pot. Soon that will be the least of his problems.

It sure is fun sharing what I do with all of you. Thank you for stopping by, Wendy

For hang10tiki one day late and a dollar short but the sentiment is the same. I hope all your wishes come true.

Wish List #7 is trucking along one project at a time. Here are a few that have finished or are in progress.

These three Mosaic Tiki Bob's are super hard to glaze. Three layers and all the craved areas, whew I need to only do these in one color.

The first one is for Shann Shann Singer on fb.

I think I'll post and then do the next set. Wendy

Wish List #7 one of these is for Wendell Spence and the second on will be for sale.

Glazing these is so hard. Not just three layers but all the designs and where to put each color because of space issues.

But I got it done and they looked great and then I fired them...

The glaze looked like one layer in some areas and there were

a hundred glaze skips on each mug.

So I got out all the colors and re-glazed the mugs and fired them again.

This time around I found only one glaze skip and it was glazed and fired a third time. Now they are done.

Ok time for another post! Wendy

Another Wish in progress.

This Hot Tub Hula Girl really is in hot water...a cannibal pot!

I did touch ups on Bullet's aka kingstiedyes KZAP Cat. So after another firing it looks like this.

One by one the projects are being done. That rhymes! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-15 10:41 ]

Thanks Wendy
Had a great day
(Wasn't at work :) )

Those are some colorful Bobs

Cheers

hang10tiki that's really nice for a birthday. One year Dan talked to my boss and scheduled my birthday off without me knowing it. I got up at 5 am and then he surprised me. We had a super fun day. I look forward to any photos you would like to share.

==================================

Wish List #7 catch up photos. These I believe haven't been shown before. I've been skipping around. I even ship before the person sees what their wish looks like. I must be insane! So far no complaints.

Opening the kiln is so much fun but then I start seeing all the touch ups that need to be done. You just say "oh well" and get to work.

In addition to touch ups I do new wishes so I'll have the kiln filled.

The first lamp that is the tallest is for sale for $250 plus shipping but you have to wire it. The top comes off. The Wine colored lamp was made for Jeffery Bannow and the last lamp was for Dr. Tiki Mojo.

My new Rapa Nui alphabet mug. The one on the right with the rocky top and purple interior is for sale. $75 plus shipping.

This was the largest group of wishes before I started shipping.

One of the carved cracks became a real one. The first glazing didn't seal it.

For the second one I used this decorative glaze as a sealer and then poured in the glaze on the inside a second time.

I did a few touch ups to make the skull scarier too.

I touched up Robyne's mug.

I touched up Jeff Bannow's mug. I shipped it already I hope he has it.

So many touchups to make them right. It's worth it.

I dried them out in the heat.

Another kiln load.

Time to close the lid and turn it on.

Gecko'z once told me he had glazed and fired a mug 6 times to get it perfect. He is a master glazer.

Wish List #7 working on the Zombie Torch mugs.

Wish List #7 more mugs glazed.

I know I'm tired when I keep over-filling the jars.

Ok, after doing it a second time I took a break.

I had orders for four Zombie Torches with flames on this Wish List.

Three layers each and it was time to clean their bottoms and let them dry.

Thank you for stopping by, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-18 18:36 ]

Love those finished photos
Great colors

Wow...I missed a bunch of updates. Everything looks fantastic, so many great colours!

hang10tiki and Piddersthecat perceiving color is the greatest miracle. Unless you are Dan the music man who would say it's music.

==============================

Wish List #7 here are the Zombie Torches for Wendell, Mondo-by-the-bay and Donovan.

Hand painted with enamel and baked in the house oven to set the paint. They can't be washed with hot water.

Wish List #7 is winding down. So it's time to start posting the black velvet photos.

Jen Tirre's Tower of Horror.

Frankoma bowls for Caren, Karen, Laura, Reg and one extra

Examples.

Diver Down for Theo Stool

Shark Attack for Jamie Sterling.

Passion Fruit with wave for Jeffrey Bannow

It's fun to have shipped off wishes to so many people. Now it's catch up time for photos. Wendy

Yay! The happy accident worked. As always, they look great against the black velvet!

Thanks for sharing!

More Wish List #7 finished projects.

Shann Shann Singer's Fruity Tiki Bob bowl.

This was a really tough one to glaze. So many nooks and crannies.

Aster doing all of the brown for the coconut and Tiki Bob's I lined up all the colors for the fruit.

Lime.

Took at this there is a glaze for banana's and I had a jar!

Just when I was going to glaze the banana I looked up and saw that my TV show Ink Master had a guy biting into a banana. What are the chances, they don't usually eat something on this show. I LOVE coincidences!

Done.

All finished and out of the kiln. NO retouching needed. I'm so happy.

=============================

This is the wish of Barb Lawrence. Really it's not a good idea to bath in a cannibal pot!

===============================================

Rapa Nui alphabet mugs.

This one is for TikiTNT.

One for Monty and one for Tiki Oasis. It will be on the table owned by Mahalo Tiki.

===================================

This wish came with detailed instructions. Antonio Abdo knew what he wanted and it was fun to do.

I'm having a blast making all these wishes come true. Wendy

Wish List #7.

This mug is for RVictor right here on Tiki Central. He drew a wonderful picture that I just copied.

Thank goodness for turn tables. I go round and round, especially because it's three layers of every color.

To make the red really stand out I add red crystals to the red glaze.

Since I had a few skips to re-glaze I just touched up the whole mug.

After the 2nd firing it was done and ready for photos.

103 degrees today. I loaded the kiln and had to watch out that drips from my forehead didn't hit the ceramics!

So another load will be out on Tuesday. Wendy

Wow
Totally awesome page
U are killing it

R

Love it. Your such a dear to make these ideas realities for us!

hang10tiki I love comments but I've found that the more I get the faster the page flips. I'd rather have shorter pages and more comments. I have all the projects together on the Gallery Page. No steps just finished projects. Thank you for all your comments every one is appreciated greatly.

RVICTOR I get to make things I'd never dreamed of via the Wish List. So I have to say thank you to all the Wishers as well. I'm so happy you like it. Shipping today.

==============================

Wish List #7 for Tiki Wahini Lynn L. Bloom.

Out of the kiln The Dead or Alive Stew.

Hers is the second one I have made. The first was for Geoffrey Mattison.

![](http://tikiroom
.com/uploads/251/597556ac.jpg)
Off to another project. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-24 18:20 ]

He so hungry

Aloha

Recent Tiki Ti road trip

Cheers

And Phoenix

Had fun Tiki hunting :)

hang10tiki those were really fun photos. Did you see one of my Hot Tub Hula Girls there on the shelf behind the bar? We haven't been there yet.

=================================

Wish List #7 This Disneyland tiki was made into the mug for Tiki Wahini. Yep she got two wishes this time around.

I had a photo for reference. It was taken either by hang10tiki or Tiki Hula.

First I covered it with grey glaze and then I did the black on top of that.

Then it was time for colored glaze.

All done and ready to fire after it dries completely.

Out of the kiln and posing.

Another wish fulfilled. Wendy

Dang
Missed it
The bar was full
So we had to sit at a table

Love the new mug

Imagine the entire set
I'm just sayin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10811 replies