Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

hang10tiki Tiki Wahini already told me she wants a whole set. Whew, not all in the same Wish List though.

That's a wonderful photo. I wish there was a set of them in California.

========================

Each year I have things that Mahalo Tiki buys and sells at Tiki Oasis. I never know what I'll have for him until Dan looks over each piece. This one is in the kiln right now.

I have also finished glazing the entire Wish List and will be showing the rest of the pieces each day. It's been a lot of very gun work. Cheers, Wendy

I had a triple post so now I'm adding photos to each place.

I made this Bloody Maori for Dan this Wish List. He works for tikis.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-26 08:28 ]

I made this Ren Clark back from the dead mug for someone on the Wish List but he wanted one closer to the original. So Dan gave up his which was the first one I'd made and was an AP and he took this one in it's place. He's a sweetheart.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-26 08:31 ]

I loooooooooooove the weathered Disneyland one - that is awesome.

Wendy, the lime wheel you glazed looks amazing! Keep up the great work!

Hang10, what did you think of Tiki Ti? You didn't tell me you were going or I would have told you to get an Ooga Booga :)

Aloha Treg
Crap, sorry,
when I asked u what drinks u like at Tiki Ti
I forgot to tell u I was going

Next time

Hi Wendy
Dig your severed head mugs
When people come to my bar
It's always a hit

The texture and glaze on the Disney mug looks FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing all your hard work, and don't forget to rest your wrist sometimes too :)

HopeChest, Piddersthecat thank you. I was super happy that it came out like I'd hoped. Some mugs just work out and some take a year of tweaking. HopeChest your mug is being glazed a fourth time and then back in the kiln )=: I'm learning a lot about my glazes and how they react to each other.

lunavideogames What's a lime wheel? Is it like a Doorkey? My sister was so sad to find out that wasn't a pet related to a Donkey. Oh you mean on the Fruity Tiki Bob bowl! That whole bowl came out without any tweaking. You just never know. Same with the Disney tiki.

Hang10tiki that's so fun to hear. These "babies" leave home and never write.

===============================

Wish List #7 for luanvideogames

So many photos and so little time. It took a couple of hours just to get them edited down to these. But I think I'll have to put them up in phases as the day goes by.

First phase was posted when I did the sculpts. Then the firing. Then washing. Next phase is glazing and here comes da photos.

So many colors for four mugs each with a variation.

lunavideogames picked colors for the first three saving the last mug to be decided on later. They are bright like the title on Star Wars because these mugs represent Jaba The Hut and Leah. Am I still spelling that wrong?

I was not smart when sculpting. The hair rolls under and I have to glaze it and the skin.

I did the 3 layers on the hair and then scrubbed it off the skin. Then I did 5 layers on the skin but still had to go back and touch up the hair where it was touched. So much labor to glaze these mugs. I even used toothpicks and skewers to reach areas between the tiki and the mermaid.

Polynesian Paddy built a sand beach near the creek in his backyard. I bet this goes into Tiki Magazine. He's drinking from one of my mugs!

The finished mugs after firing.

The last mug is the most like Jaba with a tail.

All done and ready to head to San Diego. Wendy

Wow
Those are huge
Awesome
Can't wait to see them in person

3 Rum Scum

Cheers

Wendy, they look so great! Thanks for taking the time and effort to bring my vision of my home bar mug to life! I love seeing the step by step!

Maybe if we do some more in the future you could adjust the hair to make the glazing process easier? Anything to help it go smoothly for you, I am ok with :)

PS: Yes, the lime wheel is what they refer to the lime garnish you put on the older project as.

Well well well
Looks who ended up as swap partners
Awesome

:)

Our niece is in town
She wanted to go one of those pottery places
Where u glaZe one of their stock pieces
Hmmmmmmm
What to do
I know

lunavideogames your wish is my command. Does that make sense? They look even better in person.

lunavideogames I have ordered diet colas with lime but that's as far as my bar skills go.

hang10tiki I love my new swap tiki and the guy who made it! The Tiki Bob coffee cup is so cute. Good job.

I am so lucky to have so many tiki buddies. You all bring joy into my life.

===========================

I have lots yet to share but I only have one wish left to make and it's another Black Velvet painting. Then the Wish List is done. Well not really I made a mug set for a wedding and the wife to be broke the one for the husband. I have to start from scratch. I'll be making some things to go with it to keep my kiln filled.

============================

The past two weeks I've also glazed and fired a whole bunch of things for Mahalo Tiki. He buys my art and sells it at his booth at Tiki Oasis. Dan wanted some of the things I made but I said he had to trade. So he searched his collection and did some swaping. It was hard because he only has my best stuff in his collection.

Here are some of the things that are going to Oasis.

Before it was all packed up.

These are made for hanging on the wall.

A one of a kind King's Goblet coconut mug.

#5 Rapa Nui mug.

An AP Ren Clark tribute mug.

I did three glaze test Tiki Bob's. I wanted to see how layering the glazes would work out.

Just having fun but Nelson will see if anyone likes them enough to hand over some bucks.

I did two Cat Tiki Bob's front and back.

I remembered a couple more mugs and 30 prints of the Black Velvet Disney painting I did for Psycho Tiki D.

Nelson came and carted it all away.

I will be at the Artists reception at 1Pm on Saturday at Tiki Oasis. Stop by and say hi.

Cheers, Wendy

Wish List #7 getting closer to the end!!!

This was made as a wish for one fellow but is ending up in the hands of another Ken McCormick.
I will make another for the first wisher with an "ovoid" shaped coconut.

Can I really do this???

Glazing is so messy. First I did the inside of the mug.

After the coconut was dry I covered it with plastic wrap so that I wouldn't get drips on it while I glazed the girls and their hair.

So many colors and so many layers.

This was a really hard project.

I used CN glaze so I could do some designs on the clothing.

I love a bright white coconut meat so I always use arctic white under glaze and

then coat it with clear.

Looks like I didn't wash her elbow after the bisque fire. The dust made the glaze crawl.

If I have to touch up one spot I look for any other areas I can improve on and do them as well. Time to do a 2nd firing.

All done and posing.

I even did the bottoms!

This took a week to get it done. You just can't tell from the photos. Wendy

Dig that 3 Wahine coconut

Went to Dave n busters today
Whaaaaaaaat
They serve pain killers

Then I saw a life size
Rock'em
Sock'em
Robots

Dan-0 vs Dan-0

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-08-02 18:44 ]

P
Philot posted on Thu, Aug 3, 2017 8:50 AM

Fantastic detail work on the 3 hula girl goblet, wow!

hang10tiki so glad, thank you. We have every photoshopped picture you have done of us on TC. We also have those from lunavideogames and Tiki Ano and everyone else. We love them. You keep us all entertained.

==========================

Wish List #7 Remember the KZap cat for Bullet that failed. Well I used the same jar of glaze and had this mug fail too. I had thought the problems were from dust but sometimes glaze just goes bad.

This wish is for HopeChest. He gets to have it for the price of shipping. It will do well on display. Here are all the steps that failed. What made it fail was hard design to glaze, my bad choices, bad glaze. Learn from my mistakes.

This mug was made to match this matchbook. I picked two glazes that were close.

I painted 3 layers of gold glaze on the mug and let it dry.

Then I scraped it off all the raised areas including the grass.

Then I wiped down all the areas with a wet paper towel.

All done with the gold.

Once all the 3 layers of gold were applied it was time to start on the green glaze.

Glazing around lettering is the hardest part of any project. I spent an hour to do one layer. It would need 2 or 3 more.

All of a sudden I had a bright idea (it will not go well). Why not glaze it green and then use this dental tool to

remove the green down to the layers of gold.

It looked really good. CN glazes are supposed to stay put so I thought this was a home run.

First firing in the kiln and the green and gold glaze over the entire mug had run together.

The gold glaze had also skipped in numerous place. Far worse than if it was from dust particles.

Second glazing and the bad glaze jar that was thrown out

after it still didn't work.

Third glazing with new glaze.

Still blending and not acceptable. If I make something like this in the future I'll use Duncan CC glazes not CN glazes.

After the third firing didn't work I decided to just fine tune it with Liquitex enamel paint. I mixed the color to match as close as I could get it.

Baked in the oven 325 degrees for 45 minutes.

Dan just finished boxing it for shipment. It will go out today. Wendy

PS there are still more wishes to show

Phew - I'm all caught up on your progress again. I don't know how you do it all; very impressive, as always.

Can't wait to see the all goodies for sale in person next week. I'm going to have to start checking the couch cushions for change! (Though I'm sure someone is going to snap up that Rapi Nui mug before I can get to it.)

Bummer about the bad GlaZe
Sorry

With great shock value I received a phone call from the Crowne Plaza. We were on the waiting list for a room. They had one for us. So we will be there at the hotel until Sunday morning. We leave about 4 am on Sunday morning. I hope you will all stop us to say hi. You see our photos all the time you'll have to tell us who you are. Especially hang10tiki!

bamalamalu I'm going to make those in requested colors on the next Wish List. I'm so happy you like it.

hang10tiki no kidding but I GOT A ROOM!!! Nothing will get me down now.

================================

My tiki career began when Dan would ask me to repair or paint a tiki mug he had found in the wild. This has never stopped. He found the one on the left. I used the one on the right as a guide.

All done.

================================

One of Dan's Wish List #7 bowls.

Out of the kiln and with her face painted on.

Good night, Wendy

M

Good night!

Great fix on the surfer girls mug
Like Dan-0s prize

You got a room
AWESOME
See you soon
I'll have your Art Swap Tiki in hand
Speaking of art swap
Look what came today

Wendy- this is huge
Love it
It's outstanding
Thank you soooooooooooooo much

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-08-04 19:30 ]

Ooh, I'm happy to hear about possible additional Rapa Nui mugs; that gives me more time to save up! Owning a house really puts a damper on buying fun stuff sometimes.

Hope we get to say Hello to you next week. We'll keep an eye out!

Bam- see you guys soon too

MaukaHale (=:

hang10tiki I'm so happy that you have it, like it and that I can visit it in the future!

bamalamalu cool, I hope you'll say hi.

hang10tiki (=:

===========================

I still haven't shown the last of the Wish List but with Tiki Oasis just around the corner I need to show the Black Velvet and matching mug that will be part of the art show / sale.

It is called I SPY U and that is just because Oasis is International Espionage themed and the Disneyland Tikis look like they are staring at U!

I have changed it up from last years version. This is the one from 2016.

Loki Tiki and his wife Lori purchased my painting with mug.

My inspiration.

Now onto Tiki Oasis 2017 and I SPY U

To get the shapes right I cut out a pattern that I can fill in.

Once I have the heads down I removed the pattern.

Black Velvet requires many layers. It is easier to paint if you have a bright light on the painting while working. A fan on yourself helps with the bright lights heating up the room.

Once these are well started, not finished, it's time to place the plants.

Flowers are a joy to paint.

This is a Disney bird.

I just choose plants that will fit into the spaces.

Plant after plant.

After a few weeks I'm done.

Here is how I have the finished painting with the mug ready to hang at Tiki Oasis 17.

We will be at the Artist's Reception on Saturday at 1 PM. This takes place where the art is hung in the foyer.

See you there, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-08-06 10:45 ]

T

Wow!!! Been MIA for a while, just popped back a few days back to write on the Art Swap page- Jon, thx for the reminder!

Wendy, my mouth is permanently open- maybe it will close by the time I see you this week! Amazing work all around- the aged Enchanted Tiki Room mug is amazing (the finish, as you may know I'm not a huge Disney patron), Treg's mugs are nuts and can't wait to see them in person.

Always impressed, and love reading everyone's comments as well!

Okay, back to work- Tiki Ari has been loving the Palm Tree Bear Beanie Baby- I took a few photos recently and will post them soon.

Safe travels down south! :)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Wendy
That painting is off the hook stunning
Wow
:o

L

On 2017-08-06 10:32, danlovestikis wrote:
Here is how I have the finished painting with the mug ready to hang at Tiki Oasis 17.

We will be at the Artist's Reception on Saturday at 1 PM. This takes place where the art is hung in the foyer.

See you there, Wendy

Wow, well I might have to have the matched set Wendy!!!

Tiki Ano it's always fun when you pop in here. Is once a month too much to ask??? You sure have been busy. I've seen the photos on fb. You are a mogul!

hang10tiki you must be counting down the days until Tiki Oasis 17? Can't think of what else it could be. I'm counting the days because we get your Swap tiki. You better not forget it. I'm so happy that you like this painting and that doing a series is working out. I have two more so far. One to show soon and one that will be the last project for Wish List #7.

AH Loki Tiki that's the ultimate compliment. Your foliage ends like the one for this year but the frame hid it.

We got up at 4 am this morning so this is it for today. I hope to see some of you at the end of this week. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-08-07 16:03 ]

Nice guess
But

Happy birthday Wendy
Have fun and see you soon

Hugs

hang10tiki with all those birthdays I must be close to 100!!! Thank you so much for helping me celebrate being here to have fun with all you tiki buddies. Love, Wendy

OH NO! The page flipped. I take it all back...

Wish List #7 The Mermaid Bumatay Fish Bowl. These can be ordered on the next Wish List. I made this for Dan for all the work he does that leaves me to work on my art.

Poor photos but that's all I took. The glaze can be whatever a person orders. Wendy

It's ok
I can post em again

Happy BDay Wendy

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-08-08 10:34 ]

And
Great bowl

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY!!!

:) :) :)

See you soon!

C
cy posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2017 1:27 PM

Love the bowl and colors Wendy, Happy Birthday, be seeing you later this week!

hang10tiki at my age I would never have thought of that but I bet Dan you would take the hint!!! Thank you I feel much better now.

Glad you like the bowl.

lunavideogames thank you. We will see you soon too.

cy looking forward to walking through your forest of tikis.

Well guys I've been hug deprived and I'm going to make up for it so prepare yourselves!!! Wendy

Wish List #7 This Tiki Bobbette is for Dan.

Glazing.

All done and posing.

I sure do love to alter Bobs. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-08-09 10:29 ]

Wish List #7 goes on and on....

Another couple of mugs for Dan. These were experimental mugs and they worked out. I will do this style again in the future.

What I did was take a spike and to stir the clay. What I feared was that I was introducing air pockets that would explode in the kiln either with bisque firing or after glazing. But it all worked out.

After finishing the first Tiki Bob I decided to do a PNG version.

I very carefully ran glaze into the stirred clay designs.

Here's how they turned out.

Wendy

Wow! Those are impressively innovative and/or creative (pick whichever descriptor you prefer), Wendy! That is a tremendous amount of detail packed into a compact space. I'll wager these become quite popular. I'm also in love with your bowl a few entries earlier, but that goes without saying!

Getting paid in tikis sure does have its benefits. The Bobs and Bobbette look fantastic!

Thanks for sharing!

Finally am caught up on all of your updates. That bowl for Dan is AMAZING - that colour palette is outstanding.

SOOOOO sorry my mug was such a hassle!! :( It looks great above my desk, though!!

Score Dan-0
What's the texture feel like in those mugs?

See you soon

Prikli Pear Oh, but please do say! This is the really fun part for me. Thank you.

Piddersthecat you are welcome. Dan is always searching for something to snag.

HopeChest if it works for you it works for me. I learned a lot.

hang10tiki gosh I should have felt them long enough to remember. He ran off with them too fast. I don't even know what room they are in.

============================

We are at Tiki Oasis. The few days before it started have been very quiet and peaceful. That is about to end.

We were at a wonderful family reunion so we just had to travel from Santa Barbara to San Diego. Most of the trip was easy but a few times it looked like this.

We left at 4am and got to the hotel at 8am. Of course our room wasn't ready until 2PM. So we went to Old Town to Dan's favorite restaurant Café Coyote.

After that we drove to Ocean Beach to Newport Street to the big antique mall. I found the best ever mid-century cat.

Going to Tiki Mans booth is an absolute must.

He has so many tikis and they are all marked on sale 20% off right now.

Tuesday was August 8th my birthday. Dan took me to the Bali Hai.

At the end of our lunch they brought me a delicious desert.

Our fun is going to thrift stores looking for record albums for Dan.

This is the view outside our hotel room at the Crowne Plaza. We were on the waiting list and they called just before we left.

On this day of record hunting we found a Martin Denny album we didn't know existed.

When we left the shop it looked like all the white PT cruiser owners had the same shopping idea.

The outside stage decorations are going up.

And the inside decorations are up and perfect. Good job TikiLand.

Today we were off to the home of lunavideogames aka Treg. This is his home bar.

I love the washer/drier disguises.

We delived his mug order. These are based on Star Wars with Jaba the Hut and Leia (I had to look that up).

He calls the mug Tiki the Hut.

I was so honored by the fact that Tuvara Tiki, Heather and hang10tiki all showed up wearing my necklaces. How kind was that? Very!

hang10tiki brought my treasure Swap tiki. Wow how impressive is this. He carved the eyes and mouth deep enough to have the darker center wood show up. Beautiful. It is based on a Kon Tiki Ports mug. I love it.

But not for long. Dan showed up to take it away.

lunavideogames aka Treg and Brandon worked magic in the bar using fresh mint.

Meg a contestant for Miss Tiki Oasis showed up. If voting is still open she would love to have your vote.

Tonight starts at the Bali Hai but we already are in our room for the night. We don't want to lose our parking space. There are not enough for everyone staying at the hotel. That is because they use part of the parking lot for a wonderful car show. Something for everyone here.

Say hi if you see us. Tomorrow the art show begins at 10 am it is always fun to see where my art has been hung.

Cheer, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies