Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

The Tiki Bob's with the Maori Design are really fantastic. Great interpretations of a classic design.

I gave plenty of sexy lingerie for Valentines days over the years but never a bust developer :lol: Glad you picked out something you liked.

You going to use that clamp on Dan?

Z

Go-go gadget Wendy! It's a parade of awesomeness!

Hi Monkeyman, Maori is my favorite too.
MDM I would take a tool over "woman stuff" any day, poor Dan!
Chuck Tatum is Tiki - would you?
ZeroTiki - thank you. Will there be a swap this year?

Progress Report

Since I've started sanding I found one that had bottom air bubbles so I made it my glaze test mug and I'm repairing it as shown here. There are several ways to do repairs. I'm trying this patch which in the past worked wonders. MadDogMike told me about it. Sharing tips makes this thread so much fun and helpful. Overfill several times because as it dries it shrinks.

I've finished the 4 Bumatay's for Roge's resin lamps. So I decided to pour 4 more and to make a bowl. I did a bowl sculpt and mold last year so I'm using it again to make this one.

I now have 22 of the Zombie Torch fine tuned. I sand when they feel dry all the way through. I hope to pour again today. It's raining now so it takes a bit longer between casts.

I had them all wrapped up so they wouldn't dry until I got to them.

I also have started on the 4 Tiki Bob specials. They are all poured and waiting to be carved and sculpted.

Here are the 4 I finished fine tuning yesterday. Of course I do it again when I sand them.

So my goals for today are to give Dan tikis for his Valentine. To have him help me pour ceramics. To take Dan out to lunch. To start carving the Tiki Bobs and to do some sanding on the Zombie Torches. To use the tool on Dan...just kidding Chuck!

Cheers, Wendy

Kinda slacking off today, eh? Happy V Day!

HA!

Wendy, Happy Velentine's Day!!!

That clamp gives new meaning to Love Hurts.. :D

Hope you and Dan had a great day...

Aloha

Sounds like an Enjoyable Valentine's Day!
Hugs to you both,lovers!
:)

Holler Waller my sister lived in Burp Holler in Oregon above Junction City. Every time I read your TC name I think of her. Here's more of our "slacking" from today!

CT is T yeah HA!

Beachbumz, I love "My" War God valentine. Thanks for being one of my Valentines for the day.

Little Lost Tiki you are always my valentine, we send hugs back your way

Well we plan to work hard and make molds tomorrow so I'm posting my Progress Report tonight for tomorrow morning

Dan and I took turns and got the 18 Zombie Torch mugs in the shed sanded and fine tuned. We hope to clean them with the air compressor tomorrow and load them into the first level of the kiln.

Of the four I cleaned up last night 1 had the glug glug problem. I didn't find it until today when the mugs were firm enough to turn over. So another one for the glaze test Wendy owns it group. Even when you are careful this is easy to do.

I took the bowl I'll use for the Bumatay out of the mold and it had a hole.

It didn't matter because that part was being cut off.

Dipping the cutting tool in water repeatedly helps it move through easily.

The bowl always looks bad until it's carved and sanded. I did see those dents and filled them in with clay.

I've started my Tiki Bob orders. Here's the first one.

Front of the Fu Manchu Bob for Tiki Tom D.

Back of the mug.

Close up of the Que/Cue (braided pony tail)?

We poured five molds. So minus the glug mug I now have 23 in progress.

There is lots to do tomorrow. See ya, Wendy

. . . queue :)

T

Wow, Wendy... that is one creative Bob!!! Loving it...

-Tom

I love watching the progression of your projects and your attention to details is truly a joy to see. I can't wait to see how these zombies advance.

Thank you so much for sharing your skills and knowledge.

Love the Chu! :lol:
Can't wait to see what else you are cooking up :wink:

C

Hi Wendy, I love your thread, is so fun! full of creativity, generosity, friends and even an example of what a great couple looks like, you guys are amazing, I love to watch how you are friends and have fun together making cool things, Thanks for shearing (the love tool to use on Dan made me laugh!) I'm having fun with you guys thanks for letting me :)

K

Wow, Wendy! I didn't even like Tiki Bob mugs until I saw your work. You converted me!

Thank you Blue Kahuna, I hope I can remember queue in the future.
TikiTomD a few more details on your mug today I'm so happy you like it.
littegiles the details are the most fun. For years making molds stopped me from making my own ceramics. Babalu and a fellow in Wheatland named Mike (he's at the beginning of my thread) saved me from being frustrated for life. It feels so good to share what I've learned.
MadDogMike send me a good photo of your cannibal tiki and a photo of you with your goatee. I need a reference for an art project.
Clarita that was such a nice note. Thank you. I tell Dan every day how lucky I am to have him. I really couldn't do this alone. Molds are so heavy.

Progress Report:

Today was a great day. We made a mold for a sombrero and I think it worked just fine. Like the mold for the Bumatay it is also a 1 piece mold. Here are the steps.

Torbor64 had one of my South of the Boarder Bobs but the sombrero was so heavy that when he went out he used a Made in Mexico cloth and cardboard version.

I found one just like his and covered it in clay.

The top was completely covered.

For a mold you can't have undercuts.

I put clay all the way around the hat. I made it perpendicular to the bottom so that the hat wouldn't be trapped in plaster.

I used a tool to dent the clay to make it like a straw hat.

I did it over the edge too even though some of the clay once cast will be cut away.

In the box I used clay snakes to stop leaks.

Our work area all set up.

After the plaster became hot I took the mold apart and rasped the sides.

I flipped it over.

I removed enough clay to take out the hat. I don't leave the clay because it will harden as it dries making it more difficult to remove.

I was really happy to see the detail for the straw style sombrero was all there.

This is The South of the Boarder Bob who will wear the Sombrero and be owned by The Blue Kahuna.

I did more work on TikiTomD's Fu Manchu Mug. I still have to fine tune the bottom writing which says Toasting Dr. Funk.

More detail on the facial hair.

More hair detail on the back.

When this dries more I'll carve the letters better.

At the end of the day my sweetheart helps me clean up.

Over and Out and ready to rest. Thanks for popping in. I stole that line from MadDogMike. Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Been off line for a while
Moving back to Vegas
Love the Wendy show
Blue n green bobs, I'm in...

I'm lovin' it! No fair hitting me with tiki awesomeness first thing in the morning, I haven't had my coffee yet! :) just kidding! Looks fab Wendy!

I think I just sprained my screen-scrolling fingers trying to see everything. It's always fun.

W

I'm enthralled by the mold making process, it is a work of art in itself.

The sombrero will be amazing!

Well it looks like I woke up to some of my favorite guys writing notes.

hang10tiki thank you for reminding me that it was you who sent me the note requesting that I make these. Without that request who knows if I'd have gotten around to these.

The Blue Kahuna your sombrero will be the first out of the mold. I have to wait until it dries out before I pour. You mention coffee well Dan never works with me before he drinks his so our work day mostly begins at 9 am. Yesterday was the exception and he brought his coffee into the garage.

Professor G and WestADad the carving will begin today on your mugs. I'm so happy my photos are appreciated.

The only person who has a Bob ordered and hasn't checked in today is TikiTomD and he had a rocket to blast off.

Drying in the kitchen last night.

Thank you for all the joyful notes, Wendy

Wendy,

Your talent is boundless and I can't believe how far this has taken you to.

Remember I wanted a Tiki Bob bowl.

Thanks,

PTD

Hi Duane, I guess we had better get those molds out and get to pouring! Dan had reminded me but I knew where you were. God Bless, Wendy

Psycho Tiki D (Duane), Thank you for the bowl order. I had a bowl poured and it became yours.

There are always glitches to clean up.

I wet the sponge and spin it against the rough spots.

It even fits under the lip.

Nice and smooth. When it is put together with the small Bob's and dry it is also sanded.

Even though we had cleaned up for the morning we started again and poured your small Bobs. The bowl is just the right size for three Bob's. Do you like these colors? If you come over you could pick any color on my wall of tests.

The Bob's are poured.

Progress Report:

All of the mugs that had been sanded and were almost dry have been dusted with the air compressor and loaded into the kin along with four Bumatay for the resin lamps.

These were brought out to dry further and to wait to be sanded. You can see here the difference in height as they shrink as they dry. Even those in the kiln are still in need of further drying before firing. Even with my huge kiln I found they are too tall for two layers. I had to move the one mug to the top shelf to make room for the last tall one on the bottom. I can bisque fire with them lying on their sides but when I glaze it will be one layer each time.

I worked on the South of the Boarder Bob for The Blue Kahuna last night. Using these two tools I made the rings look like a palm tree.

The Body is done!

Now I need the sombrero mold to dry so I can do the hat. I had it out in the sun all day yesterday and I'll do that again today.

Now I went to work to make a hat for the Fu Man Chu mug for TikiTomD

I formed the top of the hat and made rings.

The smallest ring will fit into the mug so that it won't fall off. I have to do this twice.

I use slip to glue it into place and then tools to smooth it into one piece.

Next I do this again for the larger ring.

I'm copying a hat I found on-line.

Next ring attached to the first and I'll clean it up.

The next Bobs were dry enough for me to smooth them with tools and water.

I cleaned up four and put them aside without covers for the night. By tonight they will be ready to be carved for Professor G, WestADad and hang10tiki

So next up for us is to open all the molds (8) that were poured yesterday and to clean them up. I need to pour another bowl. The tonight I'll carve Bob's.

So that's it for the Wendy and Dan show for today! What are my Nielsen Ratings?

Cheers, Wendy

I want to share this web page. America in space. Thank you TikiTomD for showing us this site. Launch later today. Check the site and watch it live.
http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av030/status.html

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-17 08:36 ]

Gosh Wendy, I think the ratings are through the roof!! Love what you did for the new hat on Fu (or is that Chu??). Thanks for sharing the next installment.

So did I read right that all the glazed Torch mugs will have to be fired in one layer? Ouch. That's a tall mug!

Can't wait to see the next episode.

Hi littlegiles, it is a tall mug. It will shrink some when it is fired. Right now with the flame they are around 14 inches tall and weigh around 4 pounds. Some is water weight that will change as the water evaporates. I have stilts that are perfect for the first layer but when I put in the shelves the mugs were too close to the kiln lid to make it work. I'll have plenty of Bob's to go on the top layer so I'll still have a full load when I fire. My breaks over now it is back to work.
Thanks for stopping by, Wendy

With all that amazing work, How much time a day to you actually put in to it?
Do you sleep at all?

Hi Chuck, I'm on my second break of the day. We work for a 2 to 4 hours then at 11 we go someplace for lunch. Today we went for the salad bar at Round Table Pizza. Then we come back by noon and do the next step. Today it was pour out the bowl mold and open up eight molds and do minor clean up of the tikis and wrap them up until I can get to them. That took another three hours.

Now I'm taking a short break and then I'll carve on the 3 Bob's until 5 PM. Then we will make dinner here. Then I'll carve until 8 PM. Then it's time for a shower and either reading, TV or my Spanish Lesson on Rosetta Stone. If anyone had any doubt about RS I think it is wonderful and fun.

We usually go to sleep by 10 or 11 PM. Then tomorrow it all starts again. All this work ends in wonderful fun once we start to glaze. It just takes a very long time to get to that point. We try to do this at least 6 days a week. This is not a job this is my hobby that Dan helps with so that he gets tikis from my projects. Gecko said ceramics plus his job made for a 100+ hour work week. It's so true. I wouldn't change anything.

Thanks for asking, Wendy

That is true devotion & your work is better for it.

Normally I'd offer you my services as a labor representative, but since you and Dan have worked it all out . . . :)

I have to tell you, when I read the latest progress report, I have the same great (goofy in a good way) smile as Bob! Fantastic watching this and just couldn't be more pleased, excited and eager to touch the final product . . . and drink from!

Thanks Wendy, just incredible to watch and vicariously participate!

On 2012-02-17 08:23, danlovestikis wrote:

Another great episode, Wendy. It had drama, comedy, ceramics . . . really everything you could want in the feel-good Tiki story of the year.

It's a darn good thing you two retired so you could be full-time muggers!!! Awesome sharing of your work Wendy...you are quite the talent.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki it sure is nice to be able to picture you as I write. Practice really does make it get better. I had major problems today so I just now stopped working. In the end it will all work out into fun ceramics. Photos tomorrow. I swear I could be known for inventing glitches more than delivering art.

The Big Kahuna hour note made me smile a goofy smile. I'm so happy you like what you see.

Professor G not only is the next Dan and Wendy show in the morning your mug is next on my list to make. Thank you so much for the Nielsen rating!

Vamp I miss you so much. I'm sure happy that the 25th is just around the corner. I swear I'll take time off to play. Oh and Dan too, I'll let him off.

Soon there will be another artist joining us with clay works. I was asked what my favorite clay tools are so since a photo is worth a thousand words...

Sometimes these come in package groups sometimes not. I use many of those sponges and i just keep them in a jar of water. The yellow handled tool is a label scraper I got on line.

These work well with wet or dry clay.

These are wood working tools that I got at a wood working shop not a ceramic shop.

I try to show the tools as I use them for my projects. So every tool should be in a photo on these pages.

I hope this helps. In the end I've bought just about every clay tool there is but I always end up using these.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for your tool pics! Excited to run back to the supply store tomorrow. Hoping i've not bit off more then I can chew here. Your thread has been very inspiring and is often the highlight of my TC day :)
With any luck I'll have some pics of my own to post soon :D

[ Edited by: whoseyrtiki 2012-02-17 23:54 ]

T

The Fu Bob mug hat (or Gua Pi Mao, originating from the Ming dynasty but becoming popular only during the Qing dynasty) is awesome! Here's a version of it from the China History Forum...

It's been two long days with no joy on the Atlas V rocket launch due to bad weather and upper level winds. But John Glenn (now 91 years old) and his wife visited us in the launch control center for the first launch attempt. He and Scott Carpenter are in town for the 50th anniversary of manned orbital launches. John was one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts (truly the "right stuff") and was the first American to orbit the earth. It's fitting that he was there, as an Atlas rocket launched his Friendship 7 capsule into orbit on February 20, 1962. He and Scott Carpenter are the last living members of the original Mercury 7. John was also the oldest person to fly in space, when he flew aboard the Space Shuttle Orbiter Discovery at age 77.

-Tom

whoseyrtiki I'm so glad the photos will help. Picture your project in your head and then when you look at tools think about whether each will help you achieve your goal. I have a dozen kitchen tools that I use on and off. Even a fork.

Psycho Tiki D I have all the parts now to make your bowl. After I get some other Super Bob's done I'll be working on yours.

Major Glitch: This is what happens when the slip is too thick but you still leave it in your mold for the same amount of time.

When I opened the mold the cast was thick mush in the bottom three inches of the mug.

I couldn't scoop it out from the top so I cut out the bottom and removed it all from there.

By keeping the mugs in their molds the outside kept its shape.

I emptied out all three.

I aimed a fan at the inside of these mugs to dry them out. A few hours later I was able to use a tool to smooth the insides.

I will have fun thinking up something to do with these Bob's so that it is not lost labor.

Next I opened the 2 poured Zombie Torch mugs and found that they were OK. It takes a lot of slip to pour so many and these must have been poured with slip that was just right. 23 poured so far. We will pour again tomorrow when the molds have dried longer.

Next up the Fu Manchu Chu hat.

If your clay is too thick it will crack as it dries or is bisque fired. I use tools to remove as much clay as possible.

The smooth hat is fine.

I like texture better so I scratched a design into the clay.

I rounded the head to fit into the hat. I also added back the hair detail where I had removed it.

I added the straw hole to the back.

Now I'll watch to see that as it dries it still fits.

I've almost finished the Super Carved for WestADad. I need guidance. The carving is NOT finished.

I used this book for reference.

A couple of the designs I liked for the mug.

I spin the turntable as I make a cut.

To get the lines straight I used a bendable ruler.

Is it West A Dad or WestADad?

I can put this name in that rectangles at the base of the mug or just carve those decoratively and put your name on the very bottom of the mug with mine. Which shall it be?

Note to buyers. If anything I do is not to your liking please let me know. I am willing to start over on your piece. I want everyone happy at all times.
Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-18 10:25 ]

W

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for all the great new pictures, I love watching the progress. Fantastic!

You can carve WestADad anywhere you like on my mug, it will be great I'm sure.

Have a great weekend!

Chris

Lookin good

Progress Report:

WestADad your mug is finished being carved. I put your name on the bottom. I asked Dan and he said that if you ever wanted to sell it having your name on the bottom wouldn't be an issue but on the outside it would. So I'm putting all names on the mug bottoms and I hope that's OK.

Professor G your palm trees are on. To do this I use lots of water then I wrap it for a day or two do that the water content equalizes and the trees stick well. OK?

hang10tiki I've started yours. The front is finished but I still have the back to do. OK?

By 9 AM we will be back in the garage pouring mugs again. I'm just waiting on Dan to finish his coffee. He loves coffee.

Cheers, Wendy

I am possibly the least giggly human on the planet. Nevertheless, when I saw my palm trees, out of sheer joy, I emitted 1 (one) giggle. Perhaps 2 (two).

Professor G I had a rum giggle last night ... :)

S

I hate Bob, but your Super Carved Bobs are fantastic Wendy. Could i be swayed?

Wendy your super carved tiki for WestADad is sooooooooooo cool. I just adore all your work. You are my idol. I swear. I'm really loving those palm trees too. Both of those mugs are SO my style!!!

One day I shall have a mug of yours. One day!

:)
Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2012-02-19 16:21 ]

W

WOW! I don't even know what to say that hasn't been said already. Fantastic art from a fantastic lady!

I can't hardly wait for the next progress update.

Thank you so much Wendy!

Wendy
Wow
I can't wait
Love love love it
Now I have to put a rush on my new TIKI BAR (currently in the building process) so I'll have a place to show off BOB on the Wendy shelf.......
Hope BOB likes Vegas

aMaZiNg Wendy!! I just love how nice and clean your carves are, ALL OF THEM!!
Bob never looked so good..:wink:

Hi Everyone, I love getting up to a bunch of notes. Thank you all so much.

Professor G I'm so happy that your Island Tiki Bob brings out the giggles.

The Blue Kahuna rum giggles? How about sombrero giggles check the photos.

Swizzle wow a convert. It is his history that makes me fond of him.

LoriLovesTikis these craft threads are so fun that I know what you mean. Don't just stay on page one. Look back and check out all the artists. You'll end up with a very long list of favorites and lots of helpful hints. Your first tikis surpassed my first.

WestADad Ahhh, thank you for all your nice comments. I'm sending you a PM.

hang10tiki let us all know here on my thread when you start posting your new tiki bar on the tiki bar thread.

Beachbumz I think that your work is always to clean and wonderful. I need to check your thread to see your newest projects.

Progress Report:

Yesterday I got up to begin on this table full of projects.

But first we went to the garage and I put all these molds together.

We poured and set them upside down to continue draining. I have 25 Zombie Torches poured. Those in the kiln are still drying. They must be completely dry or the water in them will boil and explode in the kiln. Air bubbles in the clay also explode. You never know what you'll find when you open the kiln.

The Blue Kahuna's sombrero mold felt dry so we began the pour of the slip.

Slowly we filled it to the top.

It sat for 1.5 hours and was then emptied.

When it is dry enough I'll remove it and see if it is thick enough.

hang10tiki your Tiki Bob is done being carved. Now it needs to dry.

Along with each of the Bob's I continue to clean up all the Zombie Torches. I did two yesterday. Two more are coming out of the molds today.

Psycho Tiki D's bowl step by step. This tool is good for cutting holes.

I just pressed straight down.

I kept cutting away clay until the small Bob fit.

I then smeared on a lot of sticky slip that I had semi dried.

I pressed the tiki into that mess and began to fill in from the back. One air bubble and the tiki will blow off in the kiln.

It's smoothed but when it is all dried it will be sanded even flatter.

Look at that smile! Three Tiki Bobs on this bowl.

This is my little work station in front of the TV. I caught up on Top Chef and Storage Wars yesterday.

Professor G here's the front of your Island Tiki Bob.

Today I'll start on the back.

Thanks for popping in and keeping me inspired to keep working these long days. I worked 8 AM until 10 PM yesterday and I enjoyed every minute. Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies