Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - The repaired mug goes to La Mariana on Oahu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,811 replies

Hi Wendy
Great to see (and hug you)
Hi Dan-0
Glad you like the swap carving
Great talking with you at Treg's
His home bar mugs are awesome
I can't believe how much fun I had yesterday
And that was only Thursday
Cheers

1st stop before Treg's

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-08-11 08:17 ]

Bali Hai

Look who
Beach Bum Berry

False Idol

Back to Treg's

Cheers

hang10tiki you are so wonderful. Tikis and photos what more could anyone want. Well your friendship for sure. Thank you for sharing. LOVE the Tiki and the tiki gift.

===========================

This is part of the Wish that failed.

The wish involved making this tiki and putting inside the Kava Kava man that eventually became a lamp for CY.

I put the tiki into a coconut bathing or cooking pot. Now that it has bisque fired it is time to fill it up with glaze and let it sit 30 seconds and poured it out.

Then I touched up the fluid line to make it sharp.

This will be brown when fired.

I glazed the tiki grey.

I did the flames.

All done and posing.

He wasn't meant to look like this but Dan liked it and ran away with it. I'm about to stop paying him for awhile!

Cheers, Wendy

FRIDAY AT TIKI OASIS 17 SAN DIEGO

The people are what makes it special for me. I love hugs and smiles.

I still have never met this guy human face to face. He is so creative in his heads. I would like to see them all at once.

Theo Stool aka Les on fb.

Cathi our own Ohana.

Marina the fire eating mermaid makes each event very special.

Just before the art show opened I got to see where it was hung.

Caliente Tiki's one and only Rory.

Ken Ruzic aka little lost tiki.

Big Toe just escaped prison but didn't have enough time to put on his running shoes.

Doug Horne is so tall he stooped and I went on my tippy toes for this photo.

Karen aka Mondo-By-The-Bay brought me the gift of a Hukilau shot glass for my collection. Thank you so much Karen.

Tiki Bob came a long way to play, one coast to the next.

Cy and his wife will be running his carved tiki booth.

Jonnie Velore and his wife are vending tomorrow.

Rob Hawes from Maui and Jason Shefflow. Mugs and lamps.

Rikki Filijan and her husband purchased my black velvet painting and mug.

Dan and some friends having fun.

Atomic Chick and her husband Fabio with their friend.

My art on Mahalo Tikis table.

He buys art that I make for him during the year and brings it to sell. I don't have to be at a table but I'm still represented.

Eric October selling his wares.

Norm Daniels, Dotty and Moai Mike.

Dan and our home grown Bullet.

Back to our room to rest from all the hugs. There's always something going on below. Earlier it was Shag holding court.

I hope you have fun seeing these photos, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-08-11 18:09 ]

Lots of Wendy hugs today

Today's pics

The rest of Friday's pics

Mornin
My 1st stop this morning

Off for coffee
:)

hang10tiki it's so much fun that your photos are so different from mine. I don't go out after dark. Thank you for sharing.

We stayed in the usual quiet side of the hotel. It is located away from the main stage and the entertainment. However we had room parties in our area so as usual there was a live band above our room and another one outside our door. They played so loud our beds vibrated until 2 am this morning.

Here's some photos from Friday and this morning. Yep we got up at 6:30 am showered and had a buffet breakfast at the Islands.

Dan loves to shop at Elliot's booth. He found some wonderful records and CD's.

I visit my painting, it's hard to say goodbye to it. I will do more of these on order, each original. With or without a mug. This one was $400 with the mug.

Big Toe in the Shriner's cap and a friend hammed it up for me.

I found Tiki Ano. A joyful reunion.

After little sleep Dan work up with a pot of coffee. A woke up with a piece of See's candy I had in my room.

The fun begins again with the outdoor vendors setting up their booths. They open at 10 am and it will be time for more photos.

I am not looking forward to tonight's noise but it is part of the deal if you stay at the Crowne Plaza.

Cheers, Wendy

Mornin
Here's mine from this am

hang10tiki thank you so much for sharing your Tiki Oasis Adventure. Please keep them coming.

Here is Dan's and my adventure.

The outdoor vending started and there was already lines at booths.

Chippy is a dear friend so it was fun to see him at

Tiki Tony's booth.

Tiki King from Felton was there with jewelry but I didn't see any of his famous ukulele's.

Smoking Tiki.

Gecko'z South Sea Arts. He came with his art, his

wife Alie and his son Kainoa.

A stop at this booth was a must.

CY is here!!! He's one of my hug bunnies. He is surrounded by his art forest.

Notch from South Bay is there but not selling mugs this year.

We stumbled upon the Cabana Outfit runway show.

At the car show Danielle Mann was watching her husband have his head shaved.

Bowana is here. The amount of cool art is overwhelming.

Time to leave for the art reception. Cheers, Wendy

More

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-08-12 16:04 ]

hang10tiki I LOVE your photos and all my tiki buddies. We are leaving at 4 am in the morning with a 3:30am wake up call. So I'm going to bed now at 6 PM to see if I can get any sleep before the real party noise starts up.

This was the best Oasis ever. I truly got to see so many people that I love and I got to make a whole bunch of new friends.

It is hard to leave. I will post the rest of my photos in a couple of days. Our drive is 10 hours long plus more time for meals. So we'll be very tired.

hang10tiki I hope you can keep this going, your photos are wonderful. Wendy

Great to see you guys
Safe travels

We were on 5 North by 4 am and made it home in record time 2 PM. I'm ready to go to bed and then back to work tomorrow!

What a great time spent with all my tiki buddies. I love these visits. Wendy

TIKI OASIS 17 THE ART SHOW. WE ALL SHOW UP TO POSE FOR PHOTOS. But first it was time to say hi to friends.

Go Go was bursting with joy to meet Daniel Mann. I'm glad I could capture the rapture in this photo.

Bullet, Dan, Woo Hoo and Soccer Tiki with his famous tongue.

MadDogMike

MadDogMike looking mad with little lost tiki aka Ken Ruzic. Look in the background for Woody and hang10tiki.

Tiki Ano and MadDogMike making their swap of art.

Time for the artists to line up. I just love being in these photos.

Afterwards I met Daniel Watson with his art piece.

Swen and I. He asked for a back rub and hang10tiki caught it in one of his photos. We have been friends a long time. Yep both guys.

Swanky. His book on the Mai Kai is wonderful to read.

John Moulder aks Ekem Bookem.

Big Toe.

We were asked to line up again so that Miss Tiki Oasis 17 could be in the photo.

Norm Daniels and I together with our art.

SHAG signing autographs.

We tried to have lunch at the HUNTER with Bullet but it was closed at lunch time so Bullet went back to Buzzy's and we went to the Islands and got to enjoy lunch with Scott and Brenda.

We were sitting near Dough Dohr and I got to meet him. We've been facebook friends but face to face is so much fun.

As we were leaving the hotel we ran into Mitch Tobias. He photographed out home in the past and we hadn't talked in a long time. He is in a band. Do you know the name?

The last walkabout. Dan stayed in the room to pack but I wanted one last chance to say hello and goodbye to friends.

I missed Gecko this time around. Alie and Kainoa.

The pool was still the active spot.

I had a long and lovely conversation with this gentleman but I've forgotten his name. Help?
He just contacted me through fb his name is Robert Mitchell. Another great guy for our tiki ohana!

In the background is Marina the fireeating mermaid.

Tiki AL.

I said to Bridgette Crawford lets look sexy. Well I think I will never be a pinup!

My first time meeting Eric the Red.

Farewell to Mary until we meet up back home.

Tiki Diablo.

Bamboo Ben.

Bosco.

First time meeting Roger Scott and his wife who is from the Solomon Islands. How cool is that?!

We finshed packing the car and were on the road home by 4 am. Sunday morning. We missed all the LA traffic.

We were so fortunate to have a wonderful family reunion and then a great Tiki Oasis. Our car went to critical overheating on the ride home. We had two hours yet to go but turning off the air conditioner and using the wind to cool us we made it home. So very lucky.

I will be back to work tomorrow but today we have a summer party with the rest of our family here in Sacramento.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-08-22 19:21 ]

Now THAT looks like one wicked weekend!

Ack! Condolences on the car overheating, Wendy! That can quickly put a damper on a great weekend. I used to have a PT Cruiser as well, and the cooling fan going out was a common problem with those vehicles, I am given to understand. Like you, I managed to nurse it along with the AC off when moving fast enough on the highway. Here's hoping for a quick fix!

HopeChest I collect hugs and my collection grew huge this past week.

Prikli Pear my husband and I thank you so much for the information. Both times it set off the warning bell was when we went off the freeway for gas and then for food. So your story fits our symptoms. We are taking it in hopefully tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

WISH LIST #7 continues towards the end.

This Black Velvet Painting was the wish of Jeffery Bannow here on Tiki Central.

I print photos of the tikis in the best size for the velvet I will be working on.

Then I begin with each tiki.

I like to tip a tiki in each painting to give it movement.

I use the cut out template to outline the shape and then I go from there.

So many little lines of paint to go over and over again.

Once all the tikis have been blocked out with the first layers of paint I

can begin to paint the plants.

One at a time. These I like to complete

with all the layers of paint before moving on to the next.

This is very much like planning out a garden to grow into a beautiful place.

While doing the garden every so often I return to add more layers to the tikis. Here I added more orange.

I have made prints of each painting so that I make sure each one is different. I've done 2 for Tiki Oasis and 2 for the Wish List. I have one to do for Geoffrey Ramirez and that will end this Wish List #7.

I used a different Disney bird for this one since there was room and I try to change each picture.

I found a black bamboo frame. I once saw black bamboo growing on the island of Kauai. It's beautiful.

I sure would like to see where this has been hung. Hint Hint.

May I now say
Wendy's black velvets are awesome in the photos
However
Pictures do not do them justice
In person they are 10 x better
Just incredible Wendy
Incredible

And now I bow down before you Wendy
We went to one of those
Pick a piece of pottery n glaZe it
Wow
Not easy
U rock

Think I'll stick to carving

Cheers

hang10tiki those are adorable. It's fun that you had this bonding experience with Bob!

Dan has placed your swap tiki and

the gift you brought to us at Tiki Oasis.

Thank you so much for both.

Wish List #7 the hardest project both in making it and in glazing it. This was made for Nelson Osorio.

I start by getting some of the glazes out.

I autographed the bottom and I will glaze over this to make it permanent. It is an under-glaze pencil.

Nelson requested pint fading into yellow for the inside of the bowl.

I tried to do this by blending the colors with my fingers. I glazed the outside of the bowl.

Risky, I hope it works. I glazed a blue green water around the mermaid.

Three layers for each with drying time between meant this took an entire day.

After it dried overnight I started again.

It wasn't easy reaching all the places needing glaze. I just kept at it.

After the mermaid was glazed I

Moved on to do the hair. Each girl has a different color. Same with the eyes.

Now it was time to do the skin. I do 4 to five layers with Duncan CN glazes.

Doing the girls I raised the bowl to eye level to save my back.

I did the shirts and added designs such as pineapples and

palm trees.

Now it dries and fires.

I had two tiny glaze skips so it fired twice but here it is all done and even shipped off.

I'm so happy to have started the very last wish. It is for Gregory Ramirez and it is a black velvet in my Disney series.
It's gone very well.

Cheers, Wendy

I also keep an eye on facebook. I happened to run into the tiki exhibit at the Moshier Community Art Center put up by Kristina Worrell. I was thrilled to see that one of my Hot Tub Hula Girls was in the glass case. Kristina admitted that he covered the bare parts so that it could be displayed!

This was such fun to find. Wendy

Great place for your Tiki
Lots of work on that bowl
Wow
Like that tiki showcase

Haven't seen any cookie pics lately:-)

Cheers

hang10tiki me too!

=======================

WISH LIST #7 IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED WITH THIS LAST WISH COMPLETED JUST AN HOUR AGO. This black velvet has been painted for Gregory Ramirez. He is one of my Sacramento Ohana so I may not have to ship it and the mug.

Here are some of the steps from start to finish.

=================================

I started pouring "parts" for the Wish List in June 2016. I started the Wish List #7 the Monday after the Sacramento Crawl. I have finished August 20, 2017 and that includes the 75 mugs for the crawl this October.

This week I will open the Wish List #8 for a couple of days for orders so that I can work on the binder and gathering information. I have begun to cast the "parts".

Cheers, Wendy

Great painting

#7 in the books
Here comes # 8
Let the next adventure begin

I finally had a chance to catch up on all the Tiki Oasis pictures - thanks for sharing them. Lots of good shots and it's fun to see the actual people behind the names I read here all the time. Just sad that I never managed to run into all you guys. Loved seeing all the art in person, though.

Congratulations on finishing Wish List #7 - so much work! Take at least a little bit of time off before diving into the next one, you deserve it.

Cheers!

I finally had a chance to catch up on all the Tiki Oasis pictures - thanks for sharing them. Lots of good shots and it's fun to see the actual people behind the names I read here all the time. Just sad that I never managed to run into all you guys. Loved seeing all the art in person, though.

Congratulations on finishing Wish List #7 - so much work! Take at least a little bit of time off before diving into the next one, you deserve it.

Cheers!

hang10tiki it is fun to be playing each day. I cleaned out a closet so I could organize all the frames I've been hoarding for the black velvets. Each morning at 7 am we cast parts and each evening I wrap them up to save for when I start again. It always feels good to get a head start. Thank you.

bamalamalu thank you too. I am taking it easy.

bamalamalu oh no you have caught the dreaded double post from GROG! I wish we had met too.

Oh now that reminded me that GROG wasn't at Tiki Oasis this year. What a bummer.

Here is what the end of the Wish List looks like before and after.

The bisque ware on the dining room table as the bisqued projects acumulated.

How the dining room looks now.

The kitchen counter covered with glaze for months as I worked on projects.

How it looked a week ago.

How it looks now as I cast parts for one kiln load. A person broke the mug I made for them that was to be a gift. So to make one mug I have to make enough to make firing the kiln not so expensive. I will share these extra projects soon.

A hallway table loaded with the crawl mugs. They are now boxed and ready for the crawl.

Another table in the hallway with finished projects waiting to be shipped.

How the hallway looks right now.

The nook filled with glaze just like the kitchen while I worked on projects.

How it looks today.

It feels great to have finished and to be playing and resting up. I will take orders starting tomorrow morning and it will close on Friday at midnight.

Thank you, Wendy

PS you can do it here or by PM

Thank you to those who vote to keep me on the Cool and Current list. I wish I knew who you were so I could say thank you.

Sincerely, Wendy

Nice before and after shots

WISH LIST #8 IS OPEN FOR ORDERS UNTIL MIDNIGHT FRIDAY 8/25/17. Here is how it works.

I am one person with a helpful husband who works for his tiki wishes. Ceramics take a long time to sculpt, dry, fire, glaze and to fire again. That is if all goes well. I do have failures. I try to make each project that I accept but sometimes it isn't possible. No payment if it doesn't work out.

I do not do deadlines and becasue of this I do not take money until the art is finished and ready to ship. I will post photos on facebood and TikiCentral.com under "other crafts" as the work progresses. I work on what I feel like working on each day so you can't guess when your project will start.

I need to have easy access to you for questions so that I get it right. I will ask for drawings and helpful photos.

There is a difference between this year and the past years. I have developed carpal tunnel in my left hand. I've already had the surgery on the right hand so I know what it is like. I have seen the surgeon and he thinks if I take it easy I can get well. So this will slow down this Wish List. He says that 8 hours a day is all I should do.

So for now you may hold a spot with just a request. I am scheduling myself to start at the end of this year but I may do some preliminary work between now and then.

I try to make this fun for all of us. It is fine to ask questions and I hope you'll make comments. I thank you all for making my dream come true to be a tiki artist. Wendy

Wendy,

Please hold a spot open for me. I have a couple of ideas.

Thanks,

Duane

PTD I added you to the list.

WISH LIST #8 IS CLOSED. The response tonight has been overwhelming. The number of orders is double that of Wish List #7 and I have to follow doctors orders.

Thank you all who signed up. I will post a list of names once I have it all sorted out. Then you will know if you are on there or if I made any mistakes.

Wendy

Someone's in high demand

Cheers

Wendy, your work is amazing and everyone knows it!

Make those wishes come true :)

WOW! The Wish List has officially reached blink-and-you-miss-it status.
Congrats to Wendy and everyone who got a coveted spot!

You're going to need to get a whole team of elves to help make the magic this year. :)

Mornin W
This work me up this morning

No walk today
:(

hang10tiki could be half will drop off after discussing their projects. I already had to cancel a Thor's Hammer mug.

lunavideogames Ah, thank you.

bamalamalu I sure didn't expect it to happen so fast. People will drop off and some will convince me to add them on. It always works out.

hang10tiki those are WOW photos. It's hard to stop when you get such great shots. I've tried in the past but always missed getting them. Do you have a fast shutter speed on a camera or was your cell phone doing such a great job?

=====================================

I'm making some on spec projects that I will be sharing soon. It's fun having some restful time. Thank you all for writing notes. Wendy

On 2017-08-22 23:00, danlovestikis wrote:

WISH LIST #8 IS CLOSED. The response tonight has been overwhelming. The number of orders is double that of Wish List #7 and I have to follow doctors orders.

Great news for you Wendy! Glad you are getting the popularity / recognition you deserve. Bad news for me as I missed out this time around though. Hope to get in next year.

I've got some photos coming soon of your lovely creations, at home in my tiki bar. Sorry for the delay - life has been intervening.

Just iphone
Took movies
When lightening showed up
I just paused movie and took a screen shot pic

Jeff Bannow you are on it!

hang10tiki good to know. I am going to try it next time something fun comes up. Thank you.

===========================

It's time for catch up with our down time adventours.

Polynesian Paddy recently made the move from Southern California to Northern California. To lighten his load he gave Dan all these records. Dan has gone through each one and those he has kept have been put aside to listen to before he places them into his record collection. Thank you Chuck and Barbara you made his day.

We are constantly looking for albums for Dan.

We found these in Roseville.

We try to tie in the hunt with work. Here we are buying slip for Wish List #8.

We found this in Yuba City.

We even found some tiki mugs.

I'm resting up and then it's back to work.

Cheers, Wendy

Today I spent a few hours making the Wish List #8 with all the names of wishers. You may now send me your instructions if you haven't already done so. I will start to contact each person in the future to confirm or cancel. Thank you.

These are the three Islander Stockton CA mugs Dan found.

I restored the paint for him.

Dan found a perfect place for me to display my mid-century cat collection. I found the largest on our trip to Tiki Oasis this year. It was such a wonderful trip.

Cheers, Wendy

Good job on the mugs
Like that cat lineup
Cheers

Saw this today
Made me laugh out loud

this one made me thirsty

(Same name as my favorite beer)

hang10tiki those are some fish that don't make me hungry at all. Fun photos though.

I'm slowly getting some drawings and ideas from those with Wishes. I'm printing photos and filling up the binder. It helps me to organize and to start pouring all the parts I will need to work with on Wish List #8.

I have a bunch of orders for the Hot Tub Hula Girls so this is how I can pour 3 girls a day. The funnels hold slip so I don't have to come out and top them off every 10 minutes. It is always good to figure out a way to make it easier.

Suring this down time I keep running into things to repair. This Wish will be remade for the wisher on the next Wish List. I noticed some crazing on the arm. To make sure that the glaze wasn't about to pop off I used a needle to check. Well it did pop off.

When this happens it is sometimes because the clay has turned to chalk. It will not glaze again. So I had to repair it.

I started by filling up the areas with enamel that I mixed to match the skin.

After it had dried overnight I did flower designs so that the repair would not show.

I reduced the cost of this mug from $160 to $60 and showed the photos to the wisher. She passed and I

then showed it to another person who was happy to take it at the reduced price. Such a bummer when this happens.

I am working each day just not as hard. I will have projects to show each day. I hope you'll all stop by and look at what I have to share. Thank you, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10811 replies