Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Love those Mars mugs

Giant coffee time here

Flowers seen on our Morning walk

Today’s fun
Frankie’s

3 Rum Scum

:)

hang10tiki thank you, he was really happy with his surprise anniversary gift from his wife. Is that a large cup? Is it the one you painted or did Janelle paint this one?

hang10tiki sunny out. Was it a later walk. I'm used to your sunrises.

hang10tiki is Frankie's so dark inside that the flashes must make seeing the décor possible?

Thank you for keeping my thread alive as I take it slow leading up to the Wish List and next crawl mug.

================================

A while back I showed the Easter Island bowl with the Moai and volcanos. Well I glazed it again and here's how it went.

I had layered white Pingo on top of black Pingo glaze. All the white went away. So I started over.

This time I glazed white under-glaze on top of the already fired black Pingo. Most still disappeared so in the future I will do it again. Meanwhile Dan said I like it just fine and took off with the bowl. I've made 3 huge bowls, Dan has taken 3 of them!

At least they look and feel like stone. Wendy

Every time I open the kiln I am surprised by what worked and what will need more glazing.

I just took these out. A Tiki Bob bowl

with a matching mug.

Same carving and same inside glazing. However they have areas where the glaze is too thin. Especially around the rim of the bowl. Unfortunately it will be months and more months before I will have thing to glaze again. OH WELL.

I have actually been working on Wish List #8. I had some people that have been waiting a year so I did their five projects first. They are done and ship out tomorrow. I will start to share those projects soon.

Wendy

HAPPY HALLOWEEN. Be safe there are Zombies out there. Cheers from Wendy and Dan for 2017

Three rubber bands make me the scariest of all. See how worried the girl over my shoulder looks?

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2017 8:09 AM

Happy Halloween to you, too, Cousin It and Dan.

Yikes - glad you weren't injured in that crash!

Happy Halloween!

(This isn't my dog, but I wish it were!)

Looks like another spooky Cevola Day

The wife saw the best costume ever
A little kid visiting at a retirement home
Dressed like a resident

Our turn

Hamo I resemble that remark! I miss John Aston and the cast of the Adams Family.

bamalamalu I hope you had a wonderful Halloween.

hang10tiki Dan is so wonderful to comply with my requests. He really would rather stay home and play music.
You two are so cute.

==========================

As soon as Wish List #7 finished I actually went to work (very slowly) on Wish List #8. I picked out some projects that were requested just after #7 closed or that I was in the mood to do. All five are done and shipped and it's time to start sharing.

This is for Owen Wright.

I made one on Wish List #7 that had texture on the coconut and that wasn't what he really desired. So it's the first Wish on #8 finished.

This is one of the hardest to glaze projects. So many colors (3 to 4 layers for each one) and so many odd angles to reach. I start with the backs of the heads doing the hair.

Next I do the inside and rim with white under-glaze. Then when it is dry I do the clear over glaze.

Once this is dry I do the outside of the coconut with a self glossing under-glaze like Duncan Concepts.

I choose a color the same as the coconut but with speckles. This is one of the hard to reach areas. 3 layers drying between each one.

I start the skin. One layer.

Second layer.

3rd and 4th layer. They must completely dry between. So I move on to other areas during the drying times.

Starting the next hula girl.

After a week of working on this project it is drying and then it is glazed.

Here it is finished.

The faces are painted on using Liquitex Glossies and 24 hours later they are baked for 45 minutes at 325 degrees in my home oven.

Looking into the insides. Using white under=glaze really makes this glow white.

I do like to glaze the bottoms.

He was very happy with this one and it's on the way to New York. It's so big and heavy that shipping costs were almost $70 dollars.

Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Those coconut colors pop
Inside and out
Awesome

hang10tiki thank you for the visit, if only it were to our home. Tomorrow I will post another finished Wish List #8 project. I'm going slowly and it's working out really well.

The second Wish on Wish List #8 is done.

Altering through the addition of clay, carving and drying then bisque firing.

I put a ball as a brace to hold the soft arms, hands and mug in place until they firm up.

Glazing the mug. Three layers of glaze for each color.

Out of the kiln and ready to tattoo the arm.

Taken by Fred Ferrer once it arrived at his home.

Another wish fulfilled! Wendy

Good one

Somebody tell this guy that
Smoking is bad for you

C
cy posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2017 9:42 AM

Great new works Wendy!

hang10tiki that's Frankie's tiki that's smoking. It is bad for you. I had two women I worked one who smoked and one who worked where there was smoking. The first one died before retiring and the second one right after. Now Dan and I have a friend and a relative who have COPD one is 40 years old. Gasping for breath is horrible. My wish is for everyone to stop.

CY thanks for the visit. It always reminds me to go check out your work. Wow that is one tall tiki pole, good job.

=========================

The third Wish for Wish List #8 is for Andreus Gibson. He wanted a Tiki Bob with the design of his favorite carpet as his body. He also requested hands and feet and a small Tiki Bob in one of those hands.

This is the carpet.

To be able to add little feet to Tiki Bob I had to make him taller. I sacrificed a mug to cut off the bottom and to add it to this one.

After the added clay has firmed up it needs to be carved down until this area is the same thickness as the other areas. If this isn't done it will most likely crack as it dries.

I use a piece of paper to mark the design on the clay and then I go back and carve with with a stick that I've sanded to the right size. I did that to the end of a wooden skewer to make a square and that I pressed into the clay.

I did the design where it fit around the mug.

The little shoes were fun to do.

I did my best to match the colors of his photo.

Three layers going around all the carving took a very long time.

First layer.

Third layer. Dry them between each layer. Out in the wind works well.

Time t fill in the indentations.

All done.

Time for the clear glaze.

After firing this is how it looked.

It's good to have a few projects done ahead of time and there are a few more to show. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-11-04 19:21 ]

Wendy; thank you for so much making this mug for me! It is unbelievably perfect in every way. Last night I went out with it in Portland Oregon to Hale Pele, and the entire staff and most of the customers were enmored with it and wanted your info! The bartender even made me a Mai Tai in it and gave the teeny-tiny Bob a sprig of mint! I got some pictures in the bar and then some today with the actual carpet that used to be at Portland Airport!

Great Mug

This look is classic

I'm laughing so hard at her expression! Also happy Blue Bob was christened at Hale Pele--every tiki mug should be so lucky!

DixonAlibi thank you so much for including me in this fun. I love hearing that the mug was well received. The photos are wonderful.

hang10tiki thank you for the blown up photo. I put it on fb too. It's really funny.

Prikli Pear hang10tiki has all the tricks for making the best out of photos.

=============================

Jason T. Smith wanted his bar logo to be made as a white faced Tiki Bob.

I did my best to get the details onto a Tiki Bob face.

Done and ready to dry.

After bisque firing it was time to glaze him.

I always do white under-glaze on Bob faces and then clear over that.

Dan noticed that upside down it had another tiki face.

Done.

The last of the early made wishes is for David Nelms aka Chippy. He is thinking of the day he will retire and wanted a mug to have for that occasion. He drew a picture and I asked him for a photo of his favorite Hawaiian shirt. Here are some of the steps.

He and his wife.

Here is his drawing.

I have to make the bottom of the mug taller so I can do the shirt so I sacrifice a mug and cut off it's bottom.

I add it to the mug that I'm working on.

I add clay so that it all ties together. (from prior posts you can see how I have to clean out the inside of this piece later on).

Glasses, shirt

and lei.

Done and ready to dry.

After bisque firing it's time to glaze the mug.

Here's his shirt and

here is the finished mug.

Five wishes have been finished and shipped. I also did a couple of unclaimed mugs that I'll share soon.

Cheers, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2017 8:55 PM

I love all your Tiki Bobs; they turn out amazing. Some of that is the genius of his initial design, but mostly it’s your incredible talent. I’m starting to dream about my own Bob for Wish List 9....

Chippys shirt is awesome

Hamo thank you. I love doing Tiki Bob alterations. It's really fun work as you'll see in the next couple of days.

hang10tiki I've been looking at Gallery and Tiki Carving and you've been as busy as I have been. Great work too.

========================

I had some room left over when I made the five wishes so I made a couple of Tiki Bobettes.
Here is the start of the first one.

I cast two mugs and cut one up.

I stick them together and

build up the clay so that they are now one.

I made flowers around her head.

Then I started on the hula skirt.

Close up.

I added arms and hands.

All done and posing. Time to let her dry.

I'm always ready to do another Tiki Bob. The Wish List sends me in many directions. Wendy

Here is the second Tiki Bobette the sexy version.

I make a mess while working and I clean up with many paper towels. I don't want clay dust going through the pipes in my home.

I thought I was finished.

I even took a close up. Then I remembered I needed to do the texture on the body.

All done and posing.

With a flash and

without a flash.

One day I will count how many Tiki Bob's and Bobette's I've made. Wendy

After a month of drying inside and out of a plastic bag the Bobette's were bisque fired, scrubbed and ready to glaze.

Three layers of every glaze color with them drying in between. I have been able to save up photos to show weeks of work at one time. It's not fast and easy like the photos show.

They also dry completely before firing. Cheers, Wendy

Sooooooo cute
Are lady Bobs sold ??

hang10tiki here are the finished Tiki Bobette's. They are for sale $200 each plus shipping. They are 11 inches tall.
I believe they have sold. They did.

=======================================

It's always fun and scary to open the kiln. The ladies were just fine and ready to leave home.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-11-13 08:29 ]

Wow! I'm not the biggest fan of Tiki Bob, but those Bobettes are out of this world! Kudos, Wendy. They're outstanding.

Lovely lil lady Bobs

Prikli Pear I must be doing something right because I often hear that when posting Tiki Bobs. He needs to stick around since he was the first tiki mug invented.

hang10tiki 11 inches tall. They may be the tallest lady Bobs out there! They appreciate the compliment!

=================

Well friend even though I've been posting projects Dan and I have actually been on the Big Island of Hawaii for 10 days.
I will now start to post my favorite photos. I did make some videos and those are on facebook.

Day one.

We are staying 5 days at the Fairmont Orchid on the Kona Coast and then we will travel to Hilo for 5 days.

I chose this hotel because it has the most beautiful grounds of any hotel on the Kona side. If you don't stay here you can always come here to just walk around and have a meal. That's what we have done in the past. There is a large free self parking area on the left just as you see the hotel entrance. The grounds have many man made waterfalls.

Our garden view room actually had a view of the ocean. See the light blue spot in the center of the screen? Are room was perfectly located.

They have a lagoon with sea turtles swimming with you.

More soon, Wendy

Ha! I've got nothing against Bob personally. I appreciate his place in history and acknowledge his significance. His aesthetic just doesn't do much for me (I understand there are others far more intense in their dislike). While I may be indifferent to Bob, the same cannot be said for your Bobbettes. They are really cool. The personal touches you've added are sublime.

Envious of your Hawiian getaway. The Wife and I have long had Hawaii on our short list of vacation destinations, but haven't quite made it out there yet.

Prikli Pear thank you again. I just love comments. Living in Texas you are right in the middle when it comes to airfare to the Carribean or Hawaii and it takes long enough just from California. For you California or Florida would be a wonderful trip without such a long time in a plane. We were so lucky this time only one plane was an hour late to depart and it didn't effect our time getting home. our last time there it was an 8 hour delay because the food truck ran into the plane and the dent had to be checked by an inspector. We used our $200 we are sorry airline money on these tickets. It was only good for a year so we had a good excuse to hurry back to a Hawaiian Island. Can't pass up free money.

======================

This will be a catch up post. First I took more photos of the Tiki Bobette's. They shipped out today.

=====================

We received a wonderful gift in the mail today from Debbie-Eyman-Whitehead clear from the state of Washington. She is part of the Sacramento Ohana. She and her husband attend the Sacramento Crawl each year.

Inside the box Dan found an entire wardrobe of Hawaiian shirts. He had so much fun hanging them around the dining-room table. When he was done he came and got me to view all the terrific shirts. It will be such fun to see him wear them. Thank you so much Debbie that was an over the top gift. He says they all fit him just right.

All I can say is WOW!

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-11-13 18:47 ]

Hawaii- awesome, can’t wait for all the pics
Lady Bobs- looks Kool, love the skirts
Aloha Shirts- score

hang10tiki in my best Elvis voice, "thank you very much".

===========================

Day two on the Big Island of Hawaii at the Fairmont Orchid.

The first event of the day is the breakfast that came with our room. Also we paid for four nights and got one free and breakfast came with the free room too.

This was so over the top that breakfast became an event to look forward to. This photo shows some of the hot food areas.

The Deli area.

The fruit area and the first fruit is Dragon Fruit that I now love.

Cheese and crackers and goodies in the jars. The bright red lumps were spiced Macadamia nuts that were wonderful. I never was able to find them to buy elsewhere on the island.

The salad and yogurt bar.

Donuts. I never did try one because there were so many other things to try.

Roasted vegetables, pastries and oatmeal.

Dan loved this so much he didn't want to leave the resort. Behind him is the crepe station

where they made custom to order crepes using

all of these fillers.

After a lot of different choices we

were back at our table. My breakfast was perfect.

The view spectacular.

This shows the restaurant as we left to start our day.

It was a dream come true to stay at this very special place.

The day was just beginning. Cheers, Wendy

What a lovely resort, and what a lovely bunch of Tiki Bobs (and Bobettes) there. Once I figured out that Bobs are supposed to look like a carved palm tree, that's when it clicked and I kinda' like them now :)

Now I’m starving

Amazing resort, Wendy! Wow, my mouth's watering just looking at that buffet spread!

The Wife and I don't have the opportunity for much in the way of getaways with the kids, but Hawaii's on the short list for a future anniversary. We're going to try and make a quick trip to DisneyWorld in the spring, and this is the first time that we'll go knowing about Trader Sam's! We try to take a cruise every few years out of Galveston, and have gotten to see much of the Caribbean that way. Jamaica made the biggest impression (we hired a guide to take us to non-tourist destinations, which were equal parts heartbreaking and inspirational). Smith Cove in Grand Cayman was absolutely sublime. We also love Mayan ruins, and Uxmal was simply overwhelming, Tulum is as beautiful as the images suggest, Xunantunich mysterious... all fantastic. I wish I'd paid more attention in Spanish class back in the day, because we'd love to spend an extended time down there. The Wife's a professional photographer, so that's taken us down there on occasion to the Dominican Republic as well for destination weddings. Not as glamorous as it sounds, but it's a neat way to see different parts of the world.

hang10tiki there was even more I didn't photograph. The juice bar where I mixed my own POG each morning.

Prikli Pear Dan majored in Spanish and Italian in college. When we traveled almost everyone spoke English, even in Spain and Italy. I love travel Dan loves to stay home. I'm lucky he lets me drag him places. I like your story.

=================

Kona is the dry side of The Big Island. To find a tropical paradise you need only to tour each hotel. That is how on a prior trip I found this one.

After breakfast on Day two we decided to explore the grounds of the hotel to see if it were the same as we remembered from 12 years ago. It was even better.

It was pretty funny to see the yoga class underway in the turtle lagoon.

Inset into the foliage were many outdoor spa areas. I talked Dan into a photo in a deserted one.

A tree house spa area.

We were able to do our tour without anyone around because it was so early in the morning. However during the 5 days we were there was had many walks alone and everyone was this beautiful. This is why I picked this hotel the Fairmont Orchid.

Cheers, Wendy

Dan-0 looks so comfortable in the hut
And I see he was working out on vacation too

Wendy,

Beautiful pictures. I'm going to the big island next year and I am going to look into staying there.

hang10tiki next I hope he works on that face!

MaukaHale that hotel for the Kona side and another one for the Hilo side. The 2 hour drive back and forth is too hard so splitting the time is a good idea. You'll see in the rest of my photos.

====================

I just finished posting and accidentally erased all of my post. I'm starting over again.

Day two continued with a 1 mile trip to a new shopping area that wasn't there on our last trip 12 years ago.

You can imagine our surprise to find this huge tiki art gallery.

Not only that the owner is the person to start the first annual Tiki Festival with all of our friends art!

So after a few photos

outside we ventured in and

we found Kozy there and had a great visit.

We found the art of Big Toe,

Robert Jimenez and

Rober Jimenez in a second room.

Then a wall of little lost tiki Ken Ruzic. Just a WOW all around.

When we left him we first used a 2 for 1 coupon and road on 9 4D rides. That saved us $20/ They were great and the best one was Penguin Express because it also had comedy. We both had a great time with these bumpy rides.

Then we went to the Tommy Bahama store and I found a shot glass with a gold peanut mug on it for $8. When we bought it they gave us a coupon to use in the restaurant upstairs.

Time for a late lunch with a beautiful view

over the tops of all the trees.

Dan's just so cute.

We used the coupon on a $19.50 coconut shrimp appetizer.

I fell in love with the crab salad. So for the next three days we asked for a coupon and took it upstairs for a late lunch. We just have a nut bar for dinner, that's our routine.

Kozy not only has a tiki gallery each night he puts on his master magician show.

His show is jaw dropping and fun.

It is in the gallery and you are allowed to bring your own drinks. He supplies cold water which was just what we wanted.

The magic is up close and personal and couldn't be better.

I had the honor of being in a small part of his show.

After a long and over the top fun day we went back to the hotel for the night. Cheers, Wendy

PS watch the posts on fb for updates on the Tiki Festival by these artists. We were sad to have just missed the event.

Day three of our trip to the Big Island of Hawaii. 11/03/17

We left our hotel and drove South through the lava fields past Kona and onto

The Place Of Refuge. If you killed someone and ran fast enough to get hear you were home free and would not be punished.

The most famous angle for these two tikis. The crack up and disintegrate so they are re-done often but always in these styles.

Time for a few photos of Dan.

We stopped at a shopping center just before the Hilton and found a locked up carvers shop. These were outside

so we got a couple of photos.

Then it was time to return to our hotel for the night.

I'm ready to relax and read for the evening here at home, good night, Wendy 

Awesome trip pics
Thanks for posting
Looks fun

Need trip
Hawaii calling
Must go soon

Looking forward to tomorrow!

EnchantedTikiGoth so sorry I missed your post and just found it. That's really interesting about Tiki Bob and the coconut tree. I have made many Tiki Bobs with an enhances coconut tree body. I had only heard that he was based on a classic African mask with a white face. Must be both because of his white face and coconut rings around the body. No matter what he's in the history of tiki forever.

hang10tiki I already want to go back. This trip we used the "I'm sorry Hawaiian Airlines" coupons they gave us after the 8 hour delay on a prior trip. Next trip will be to Oahu most likely in 2019.

MaukaHale I will start todays post right now. Be back in a little while.

Here goes Day 4 on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Every morning starts with this excellent breakfast with garden and ocean views. There is another restaurant even closer to the ocean that is open for dinner. We think lunch is the best meal of the day so we never ate there. Live music too.

We went back to the room and found this moth on our balcony. We also have Gecko's.

Today we headed North to Hawi and other small towns to see if they had changed.

The small businesses were much the same but our favorite hippy restaurant was now gone.

A few more photos and then

we left the town and went home via a new faster road that

cut across rather than down and around. So many better roads now. Very windy but many great views.

On Kauai there is a famous tree tunnel. There are many more on the Big Island but this one was just two walls of trees.

Back home we stopped for lunch at Tommy Bahama's and used another coupon. What a treat.

They had a pumpkin decorating contest. Dan thought he looked like this warrior pumpkin.

I thought this one was out of the box!

Day 4 ended with relaxation and more walks around the grounds. 6 days to go.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-11-18 09:50 ]

Love all the pics
And
Cheers from Frankie’s

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-11-19 06:30 ]

Vegas walk
Not Hawaii

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies