Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

PiddersthecatThank you, it's cool that you are inspired to do some restoration projects. If you can post before and after photos here.

lunavideogames happy new years. I like Dan to teach me new things. He is my go to guy for all things history related around the world and then languages were his major in college. So I'm open to helpful information. I would love to see you but Tiki Oasis is a sure thing at the least.

Philot I can picture that but oh the work involved.

=======================================

It's time for some Catch Up photos that I've scored from facebook or taken myself.

I thought it was fun running into this place with Dan.

He found a wonderful album at Goodwill.

Bob Fourbearz did this with one of my mugs.

I made the wedding mugs that are on the table.

Bullet's collection on this shelf and

on this one too. I like visiting here!

Mark Sellers and

Mark Sellers

Patrick Hyde.

Trace Stark

Wren Werner

Every day something fun comes up. When they tag my name I get to see it and to collect their photos!

Cheers, Wendy

More catch up photos. A few more days and I'll be back to posting projects. My tax man wants everything right away.

Dan found a German Hawaiian album. If you listened to it without knowing you wouldn't be able to tell it was Hawaiian. At least they tried.

All of my artistic talent came from my mother. She gave me all the supplies a kid could want from clay to razor blades. She would prep them with tape so that I could hold on while cutting. She even gave me matches. No she wasn't trying to get rid of me she just taught me how to use them and this was before kindergarten.

I was thrilled when I found a razor blade charm for my bracelet. I showed it to Dan's best friend who is a policeman and he laughed like crazy. Asking him why he said Wendy that charm doesn't represent artwork. To me it always will.

Cheers as always, Wendy

Rumor has it that Leroy Brown carries a razor in his shoe!

Prikli Pear is he the badest cat in the whole damn town?

===============================

Wish List #8 progress report.

Roger Scott decided that his wish would be for one of the Bumatay bowls with a request it look like his wife June. So this is the 7th of these bowls for this Wish List #8.

He sent these photos to use for his bowl.

I cast and cleaned a bowl.

I cast and cleaned four Bumatay Fish.

Out of the mold the mermaid is not complete.

I must build an air bubble free part of the middle tail and then the end of the tail.

I over build and then cut it to shape and smooth it.

I hand build a tails end and attach it.

Once the tail is competed and the mermaid is cleaned of mold lines it is time to add her hair.

Like the picture it will be wavy and curly.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the bowl so air can escape from inside the mermaid. Then I attach her over the hole with sticky clay.

Next I use sticky clay to attach the four fish.

The fish are open at the top so to close them I make

a patty of clay and attach it. Then I cut off the excess and

smooth it into shape and placement.

After the bowl has sat under plastic for a day or two I sharpen up the lines.

The using a wire brush I fine tune the Bumatay fish.

The sculpting is completed.

These bowls take about a week to make one. That's why I jumped ahead an started casting in June and working in October. I'm sneaky!

Thank you for the visit. Wendy

I have some of the Sacramento Crawl mugs from 2017 for sale. $85 plus shipping or PU.

These two Tahitian Tikis were my models for the mug. The restaurant was Tahiti. One of my favorite places to eat in the 60's.

This is how the mug turned out.

Here are photos of one mug after I recurved all the detail. My mold wasn't good enough so I carved every mug over again. That's how I got the carpal tunnel this past year. However I'm going slower and recovering well.

If you want one send me a message or post here. Thank you, Wendy

Back from vacation
And got up to date on the Wendy post

pics as u requested

Off to San Fran to meet up with family

Day 1
Smugglers cove and Pagan Idol

Look who we saw at Smugglers

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-01-11 06:19 ]

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 10, 2018 10:46 PM

I traveled to tropical Iowa last week so didn’t make much progress on previous pages, but I’m now up to 536, when the media descended on you. I also went back to view the videos and read the newspaper article, since I think that was about the time I first discovered your thread.

As for catching up on recent posts, the mermaid bowls are great. Also, I would love a puffer fish necklace if you have any available.

Day 2

Fun in SF
Saw a Tiki Bob painting in a non-Tiki-Bar
Hit several great local bars
And “the” Tonga Room

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-01-11 06:46 ]

Day 3
Trader Vic’s Emeryville
And the Tonga Room
(The reason we stay at the Fairmont hotel)

Day 4
Lots of walking the city
Good food
Shopping
Touristy stuff
And off to the airport for the 2nd 1/2 of the trip
:)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-01-11 06:44 ]

hang10tiki Terrific photos. So many of these places we have never been to but maybe we will one day. We are looking forward to the second half of Janelle's birthday excursion.

Hamo I have cast some puffers that are not claimed. I will be glazing them during this Wish List. For something this simple I will add your name. What color would you like it to be? You can go to the Gallery page and find those I've done before if you need a reference.

I'll be back later when I figure out what to post next. Cheers, Wendy

PS I never vote for myself for Cool and Current so there are readers out there who do this for me. I appreciate you all and thank you very much. I wish I knew who you were. It was such fun to be #1 on the list today.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-11 09:10 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-11 21:14 ]

Day 5

Off to San Diego
Checked into our hotel “The Catamaran”
Relaxed
Then hit our two favorite breweries

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 5:52 PM

H10, last August I took the train from Denver to Emeryville, got off and walked to TV’s. It was a great experience. I’m jealous that you were there recently. I love the shot you got of Vic’s photo.

On 2018-01-11 09:07, danlovestikis wrote:
Hamo I have cast some puffers that are not claimed. I will be glazing them during this Wish List. For something this simple I will add your name. What color would you like it to be? You can go to the Gallery page and find those I've done before if you need a reference.

Thanks! Good thing I’m almost caught up on past pages here; then I can move on to your Gallery thread. I’ll let you know soon about a color.

Page 541: Thrifting and Mars Attacks mugs. I’ve gotten to pages I saw when you first posted them, but I’m going to keep going to enjoy them again.

Hamo- cheers

Day 6

Long walks
Good coffee
Lil beer
And this hotel is awesome

Cheers

Hamo that's a fun story. I very much want to take a driving trip through Colorado and to see some of the small towns and fun towns. My nephew and his family went to Aspin to ski during the holidays. However their street in Montecito, Olive Mill Road is the one that had the horrific mud slide that wiped out 100 homes and killed 17 with another dozen still missing. So they are unable to return home so they are continuing their time in Aspin. Their home was spared because it sat back from the road but their street and the highway are closed. Three bodies were found in their driveway. We are all so lucky they were not home because they walk everywhere on that street.

Thank you for all the time you are spending looking at my pages. It's fun to know that you are seeing my progression from a want-to-be tiki artist to being accepted as one. I love this special niche in the art world.

hang10tiki thank you so much for these photos. Are there any more? It's a vacation for me when you post and I get to just enjoy your trips or walks in the morning. I'm keeping an eye on your carving thread. You too have become a tiki carver and we love the pieces of yours we have in our home.

I just finished posting and found your post right above. Such a cool place is it on the drive to the Bali Hai?

================================

I have been working on the Wish List #8 and on the Sacramento Crawl mug for 2018 every single day. I will be back to posting soon.
Meanwhile here are a couple of photos I took today.

Today we drove to the city of Lincoln. Because Vampiress RN said the Gypsy Chic sale was open and fun to go to. First we stopped at the Salt Mine thrift store for Dan to look at records. He found a Martin Denny where someone had scratched out the eyes and made them scary.

Then we went to the Gypsy sale and found re-purposed items for sale. It was a fun walk but they didn't make a sale. I did have an 80 year old man flirt with me and he even did a little dance. I pointed out my husband. Someday I'll start wearing a wedding ring. It just doesn't go well with clay work.

Then we went to a cat rescue store where Dan found CD's. Dan's hearing is acute so he loves music. I see well so I love art.

Then it was on to Thunder Valley for the buffet lunch. I told Dan I was going to add pineapple to the vanilla ice cream for desert. Imagine my surprise when out of the spicket (sp?) came pineapple Dole Whip. I still added some fresh pineapple. So fun to find a favorite Hawaiian treat in our area.

On the way home we stopped to buy peanuts. I've been shipping so much recently that we ran out. Dan does all the heavy lifting for me!

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-12 18:57 ]

That’s funny
We were posting at the same time

Love those pics of u guys

Day 7

More coffee and long walks
Hotel pics
Then off to the Grass Skirt

Cheers

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 1:38 PM

Page 560: Trip report from your foggy East Coast cruise to Canada. In Halifax, “I just listened and wondered if he had on underpants.”

Last day

Just relaxed

The goods brought home:
Mug
Mug
Shot
Shot
SnP

Hamo no wind that day so I never found out! Wow, you'll remember more of my posts than I do. This has been so much fun thank you.

hang10tiki now that you have returned home I have to go to work posting again. I hope your next vacation is soon, I like taking breaks when you are posting. In fact whenever you finish a carving you should post it here. Thank you for all the fun.

=========================

It's time for a progress report on Wish List #8. I have continued to work on projects and the next crawl mug. My garage is so full that I have now started on the first of many black velvet wishes. But first I will catch up on the clay projects to be posted.

This Goblet #3 is for Mary Ann Edwards. Dan asked me to make one of these for him years ago but I didn't think I could make it work. When requested on the Wish List I decided to figure out how to do it. Now I've made three and this is just the start as you will see in future posts. Dan still doesn't have one.

To start off I clean up a coconut base and let it firm up for a couple of hours outside of the plastic bag. Then when it is firm enough to hold it's shape sitting with the opening at the top I turn it over and do the cutting.

The cast for the hula girl leans backwards too far to support the coconut so

I have to cut out part of the stomach and to seal her sitting upright. For each girl I add a skirt, hair and maybe a lei.

One done and

Two done. I decided on tea leaves for this girl.

The hula rockets!

All sitting upright. I wait a couple of day until the stomach surgery is healed.

Next I use sticky clay to seal them together and then I build hair between them.

Top view as all the hair has been added and the base is ready for the coconut.

One last side view.

I add a bit of sticky clay to the coconut bottom and then I gently but firmly press it into place.

Once in place I have to smooth the attachment with a brush or fingers. I even remove some clay to round the heads.

Here are a just a whole lot of photos. The mug will dry under plastic for a couple of months.

As hard as these are to sculpt the glazing is the hardest part. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-20 18:34 ]

My pleasure

Wow
That’s a great looking Wahine coconut bowl

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 15, 2018 10:48 PM

I’m very sorry to hear about your nephew’s neighborhood and especially the neighbors who died. I hope his family can return home soon. I also hope you and Dan can visit Colorado; lots of great sights to see, and a few tiki people to hug.

Lots of glazing on Page 569, including a bunch of Bobs, and some finished pieces, including the Steven Crane Swap mug.

hang10tiki and since some wishers mentioned they wanted a goblet I made three more. Now I just need to tag names to them from the Wish List. I'm happy you like it.

Hamo my nephew is fortunate that he and his family were not home. They still cannot return so they have left Colorado for New York. I don't want them to return until all the winter rains are over. There could be a next time. There is a flat area in front of at 3000 foot high mountain that is fast turning into a cliff.

I checked out the page you mention and it brought me back to 14 hour days of glazing. Horrors I can't do that any more. I was looking at your Wish last night. I am excited that there are so many good one this year.

======================================

Wish List #8 continues with the next Goblet #4 for Jay Robinson.

To make beads I roll out a snake and place it. Then I chop out the bead and then I round the edges with a wet brush.

I try to change each goblet in some way. Example do I part the grass skirt on the

left or right.

For this skirt I added a fringe.

Again showing the addition of clay to make more hair and the support for the coconut.

Top view.

I put sticky clay on the coconuts bottom as well at the support top.

Done and ready to fine tune the clay that squished out when the coconut was pressed on.

This one will have a brown coconut on top. I carved the detail and added the 3 dents.

Then I used a wet brush so smooth all the sharp edges.

All done and ready for inspection.

Two more to go. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-20 18:36 ]

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 7:22 PM

Page 579: Repairing Dan’s Islander mugs after opening and immediately closing Wish List #8.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 11:29 PM

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 6:56 PM

Page 597: Hula Girl goblet, and GROG reappears.

Well, looks like I’m all caught up. Started on Page 1 some time at the beginning of December, so it took about eight weeks. Now to check out your Gallery pages to look at glaze ideas for that puffer necklace. Then what will I do with my time? Maybe I’ll start all over again.

I hope you post some more progress soon. I need more tikis; how about Dan? :)

HowZ my favorite Caveman?????

hang10tiki it was very nice of you to use a handsome photo of GROG for this fun photo.

Hamo it was a shock to have so many orders come in so fast. Most were from facebook but they are still the same tiki friends that I made though Tiki Central. I love TC much more than fb but both are great for art.

GROG He is so cute. I like the sharing of the one ear. I so happy that you checked in just in time to see hang10tikis post.

Hamo I will miss you posts and updates. As requested here is another project. See below.

hang10tiki Thank you for engaging GROG. I wish he were here more.

===========================================

I am still using up pieces that I cast for Wish List #8 but are starting to dry. So I made Goblets. Here is #5 being made for Nelson Osorio (four for this Wish List) of 6 total.

For this girl I am doing tea leaves but having them lie in a different way.

All in place and

fine tuned.

For this girl I wanted to add a lei that went clear into her lap. To start the flowers I did discs.

Then I remembered that I hadn't sat her up. To support the goblet she has to be straight up. So I cut out a wedge at her stomach and through the lei.

All repaired she is now in the right posture.

Next I added clay to make hair between the girls and to build the platform for the top piece.

I pressed the goblet into place and fine tuned the hair at attachment.

I cast every piece very thick. I want my art to last and be sturdy. But also for this one I wanted to do deep carving.

Here is the first cut.

All done and ready for inspection.

Thank you all for keeping me going like the Energizer Bunny.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-20 18:33 ]

Ohhhhhhh
Best coconut yet

This is odd
Going through some old slides from Hawaii
From the 1960’s I think
I found these a while back
I was looking at one
When I thought I saw something
Or someone
I zoomed in on it with a magnifying glass
Took a snap shot at that size
So it’s onlt 1/4 of the original size
And bammmmm
Grog
He has not changed a bit
That caveman looks great for being 95 years old

hang10tiki I think it's just a goblet top and not a coconut but now I have to take another look to decide.

hang10tiki imagine that. He's like MadDogMike's Mr. Tiki who just shows up all over the world.

The last of the Hula Girl Goblets. This is Goblet #6 for Eric Alred.

It takes casting four pieces to do a Goblet. The first is the coconut. It goes from this

to this with some carving and cleaning.

Then I start by making the girls sit up straight and then adding the lower skirt.

I decided that for this one each skirt would be Hawaiian fabric which will be fun to glaze.

Then I put the heads together and build the base for the coconut.

Goblet #6 done and posing.

Now all the pieces I cast for the Wish List Goblets has been used and it's onto other projects. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-20 18:31 ]

I see
This one is a coconut
I see the the three germination pores.

Lots of work goes into a few photos
Love em Wendy

Again
Thanks for all you do
And thanks for letting us enjoy the ride along side you

hang10tiki you help keep my thread here going so I'm am very thankful of our friendship. The compliments are accepted with a blush.

=========================

Wish List #8 my garage tables are full so I need to continue to dry the pieces that are made and to do Black Velvet Painting for awhile.

This first one is for Loki Tiki and it is based on Disneyland. I had help from Jackie his child, just look at the talent shown in the drawing done as a guide for me. I referred to it over and over again.

Next I outlined the tree.

Then it was time to start the many layers of the face "skin". If I were an airbrush artist this would go much faster. As it is I have to do many layers with them drying in-between.

Time to be brave and to just put brush to velvet.

It slowly begins to look better.

Another one. I save my paint that I mixed in old 35mm film containers. If I had to keep mixing the paint it would never match perfectly.

Every area of this painting will have touchups throughout the work.

While the paint is still wet you can use a needle to draw lines for detail.

Even these plants will be painted over many times before being completed.

It's good to have one area done but there's so much more to do. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 7:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your step by step process for both ceramics and paintings. I like this particular painting, a sort of cousin to your other Disney velvets.

I’ve looked though all of your Gallery pages, which was quick compared to the these pages, and found some examples of your puffer fish. I really like the colors that look like the puffer is lit up and glowing. For my necklace, I’m torn between the three colors I’ve circled below, though I’m leaning toward the blue. You can surprise me.

Awesome

Hamo, the blue glaze has glitter in it that sparkles in the sun? Does that help you decide on that one?

hang10tiki the top photo is the one I used for the painting. You have a good eye.

============================

The Black Velvet painting continues for Loki Tiki with the upside down tiki.

I also added more layers of color to the plants.

Now I added more plants behind the tiki.

I love to use plastic lids for my paintings. I use a second one for a cover. When the paints dry up I flip them over and use the over sides.

It's coming together! Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 9:31 PM

On 2018-01-22 06:46, danlovestikis wrote:
Hamo, the blue glaze has glitter in it that sparkles in the sun? Does that help you decide on that one?

That sounds cool. Anything like that in the orange glaze? I’ve whittled it down to between those two colors now. I might have to flip a coin.

NGENDEI
One of my favorites

Hamo yes I have a shimmer orange glaze as well as the light blue and many other colors too.

hang10tiki is NGENDEI the name of the upside down tiki?

===================================

Wish List #8 continues with the Black Velvet painting for Loki Tiki.

More steps. Time to do Jose!

Some of my is very old and has become thick and stringy. So I add some water and use a skewer to stir it until it is again usable.

Jose is a parrot. Here is another example showing some of the layering it takes to do BV paintings.

I again used a needle to add the feather effect on the chest.

The layering goes on for days as I fine tune him. Next I used a card so that I can get a line straight.

Got it.

Time for the addition of a tail. It's never this fast there are always many layers.

Here's how it's coming along.

Time to add his nameplate.

Another spot done.

Painting is fun and it doesn't take as much space as ceramics. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-01-23 07:49 ]

Who knew that there were so many layers involved in painting a parrot! Ok I'm sure that people who paint things know, but I don't fit in that category :)

I think it looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the steps, so people like me can understand the amount of work that goes into your art. It certainly adds to my appreciation of your obvious ability and talent!

Have a great day!

Yep

Ngendei: from Fiji, he is the creator of all the gods.
He’s also got a big job as balancer of the whole world.
That pressure combined with the torment he suffers from Pele
it’s no wonder there’s an earthquake every time he moves.

Piddersthecat thank you so much. I appreciate comments so much.

hang10tiki good to know! He is so off balance in the painting maybe that's what Loki Tiki was thinking about.

=============================

Wish List #8 here are some more steps on Loki Tiki's Black Velvet Painting.

When doing these I am working front to back which is just the opposite of doing a painting on canvas. I keep looking to see if I can improve what I've already done.

So here I brightened up some of the leaves so that there are more that are closer and some lower that are in the shadows.

Nothing has changed in the painting accept that I used a flash when taking the photo. How your painting displays is all up to how much light is shining on it.

I printed out a photo of the next tiki to be painted. I move it around to find the best place for it. Then I outlined it with brown paint.

Next I filled in the outline and then I

left it to dry.

Here we go again with mapping out where the details go and

then layer by layer

getting it done.

Then to add depth I added bushes behind the tiki.

It's getting close to the end. Cheers, Wendy

Wish List #8 the Black Velvet for Loki Tiki is finished unless he needs a tweak!

After getting it this far it's time to add some leaves to the tree.

The leaves that are in the front are more bright than those in the back. I was able to cover the smudge under the left wing with a leaf.

Next I Used a made for ceramcis glittle paint to add stars to the background. Since the glitter dries in different positions as you walk past the painting they turn on and off as if the stars are twinkling.

Close up.

No flash just room light.

With a flash.

Now I need to see if this Wish is finished and if I can ship. Cheers, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2018 11:10 PM

Wendy, this velvet turned out great (and I like the frame, too). It reminds me of sitting in the Tiki Room grotto at night, enjoying a Dole Whip while waiting for the next show to start, when the drums begin to beat and the tikis come alive.

Now, as for the color of that puffer fish necklace, let’s go with the blue glaze. I was looking at some of Doug Horne’s art yesterday, which always seems to include a blue puffer fish, so I’m considering that a sign to go with my initial instinct.

Hamo that was fun to read. Blue glitter it will be.

Wish List #8 this Black Velvet is for Tiki Wahini aka Lynn L. Bloom. It took one week to paint.

She had three requests that it be small and contain Rosita and the horney tiki.

Rosita from the Enchanted Tiki Hut

I call this one the horney tiki. He is a slit drum.

I like to put three tikis into each painting. Odd numbers always work out to be the best. I start with the cone tiki and

then I surround the base with a plant. An art instructor once told me that every painting he ever put pink into sold.

Next I put the horney tiki into the background.

Once he was done I put a plant in front of him.

It is so easy to get off track with a decorated tiki so again I printed out a photo in the right size and started to paint.

I'll stop here for today's post. Tomorrow the rest of the photos will appear.

Thank you always, Wendy

The new painting looks great so far (as usual)!

Tiki is the best thing for making me feel better...this is my drive to work this morning. That's more than 8 inches of snow, and it just keeps coming... I'll use your art to keep me thinking a little more tropical and a lot more exotic! Have a great (non-snowy) day!

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 9:39 PM

On 2018-01-26 08:51, Piddersthecat wrote:

Ah, perfect tiki weather.

Wendy, I like how this painting is shaping up, too.

Say, where’s Hang10 been lately? Must be on another trip somewhere....

Piddersthecat I live near Sacramento, CA and I was born there too. So I've only seen snow here twice in my lifetime. Getting caught in snow is exciting! On the other hand I really don't like to be cold. I feel sad for you to drive in this.

Once in the middle of June we left the sun at the bottom of the mountains and drove to see Crater Lake. Before we got there the sun went away and we had this without chains in our car.

Happy at the top that we could see the lake.

Dan stayed in the car while I jumped up and down to play in the snow.

Once was enough and we were so happy to make it back down the mountain.

Hamo

I don't know where he is but Frankie's and his wife keep him busy.

Glad you both like my latest painting thank you so much.

======================================

Wish List #8 here's are the steps that finished the Black Velvet Wish.

I finished adding more plants and

now it was time to add the bird.

Done.

I added a Bird Of Paradise and then the stars.

I wish I could show how they twinkle as you walk past the painting.

Time to frame this painting. With the frame it is 9 by 9 inches. The smallest BV I've ever done.

Here are my final photos with and without a flash.

I wish you all a great weekend. Wendy

Wish List #8 still has more orders for black velvet paintings so it was time to prep some more for use. I search for frames in thrift stores they have to be $20 or less for me to buy them and to pass them on with my paintings for free. I have fun searching.

Here are the steps. I did 10 this time.

First I removed all the art from the frames. If one side is smooth then I keep it to use. If it's not then I sue it to cut a new piece of cardboard. Here I lay it all out and then cut around each backing.

I set up what I needed in the hallway.

I iron after spraying with water. I only iron the side that is not velvet in texture.

Next I put the backing down and then I use painters tape to tape one side. I stretch the velvet tight and then tape the other side.

I trim the sides to make it less thick when taped.

I flip it over and put a piece of tape along the edge at each end.

Then I flip it over again and tape it down.

When I do the painting I will cover this back with cardboard and then I use strapping tape to hold that in place.

This is how it will look when I have a painting in place. This now goes into storage until I'm ready.

Every day the clay projects are uncovered for a few hours and then covered again. There are a few pieces that are beginning to dry and some that have a long way yet to go.

Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies