Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Wow, Wendy! Just when I think you folks can't get any cooler, you trot out something amazing like the Jungle Music Room. That space is fantastic. Dan really knows how to make his mark!

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 6:32 PM

Such cool pictures Wendy! I have had the honor of visiting the jungle room, complete with waterfalls, lightening, and a tiki umbrella holder full of machetes to hack your way through! I brought my own insect repellent.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 11:57 PM

I had the great honor of sitting in that peacock chair. But I missed the jungle cats, and I didn't see the mysterious lighting, so I guess I'd better make a return visit....

Aloha
The green room looks good
Hope Dan-0s fingers are ok

Quick trip for wife’s B-day

Leaving Vegas

Good view of the new stadium under construction

Guess where?

Prikli Pear, thank you from Dan. I like to read comments here out loud for him. It is fun to hang there now. Before it had little seating and too many fragile items.

cy you forgot to leave the machete so you'll have to bring it back on your next trip South.

Hamo you are always welcome here so please do return.

hang10tiki would that be the space needle in Seattle, Washington? You should have brought her here. We have been making molds for the past two days she could have been put to work! Happy Birthday to Sew Tiki.

===========================

I need some rest and then I'll post again. Wendy

Yes it is
:)

Then

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-01-13 20:04 ]

Wowoowowowowoowowoow. How old is this place? Are those manta rays in the water? Is that part of the bar? Did you get to keep the cup with the handle, it's great. But above all else your wife is beautiful! We know her birthday is wonderful because she has you.

You must have spent all night to load those photos and we all thank you so much. I've never seen this place posted. How did you find it? I noticed the African masks that inspired Tiki Bob's face. Cool.

I love it when you post your trips even when no tiki shows up but this trip is over the top tiki.

Keep on having fun, Wendy

When we travel I always look up the area on critiki
Saw this one a while back but had not visited it
Had to see in on this Seattle trip
Not sure what tile animals are on the bottom of the pool
And yes, I bought the mug

Here’s the critiki post

Humuhumu’s description:

North Shore Lagoon is part of McMenamins Anderson School complex, and opened on October 15, 2015. The Anderson School is no longer a school. It opened in 1931 as Bothell Junior High School, and now lives on as a collection of attractions: a hotel, a brewery, a movie theater, restaurants, bars, and with the North Shore Lagoon, a swimming pool and tiki bar.
The tiki bar is decorated in traditional style, with lots of bamboo, distressed wood and driftwood, and pufferfish, bamboo and tapa cloth lamps. The soundtrack includes Exotica classics. The tiki bar overlooks the swimming pool. There is an extensive spirits list, including over 80 rums. The tropical cocktails are made with the classic recipes, including a Mai Tai, Zombie and Suffering Bastard.
If you'd like to swim in the pool, it is open to non-hotel guests for 2-hour open swims during the day; at the very beginning and end of the day swimming in the pool is for hotel guests only.

Another great place I’ve been wanting to visit

10.00 for 4 lil samples of their products
It was awesome

Also
A bar right next door

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-01-14 19:56 ]

We hit a bunch of antique stores
First out of state trip we didn’t bring anything back
:(

Wanted these 4 items
But
To big to bring back on the airplane

Witco
Not sure what it is
Hmmmm
Maybe a seahorse??!!??

A great black velvet by Eddie Joe Martin (Hawaii)

Two more cool black velvet paintings

Again
Would have got them all if we drove

Oh well
Someone will score them

Driving around
Saw a pie shop
Had to stop

Marionberry and strawberry rhubarb pie

Was awesome

More pics tomorrow

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 10:26 PM

H10, Happy Belated Birthday to the missus.

My sister used to live in Seattle and had a coworker who attended Anderson School. North Shore looks better than I'd imagined.

And thanks to my sister, Woodinville bourbon is one of my father's favorites.

Hamo- thanx, I’ll pass it on
Sounds like you need a visit :)
Great whiskey and rye

W- more pics

More to come

Last of the pics

hang10tiki I really feel like you took us along on the trip. This was really a fun ride. I always wanted to go to the fish market. We were in bumper to bumper traffic with road construction. We missed our exit so we just kept on going and headed back to Oregon. Now I feel like we went. Was the chowder good? I think you showed Sew Tiki a really great time for her birthday. You sure showed us one too.

==============================

When Dan began the downsizing of his tiki collection he decided after the first garage sale that he would keep his salt and pepper collection. There was one set we sold to a friend that I miss. Dan's fine. But there's another story to share soon. Here are the last of the downsizing photo series. These show the Salt and Pepper collection as of today.

It's so much fun to go on tiki hunts. It's been a joy for 24 years for us. We still keep an eye out just in case something shows up. Have fun always, Wendy

It was fun
Funny, had clam chowder every day
It was awesome

Hope Dan-0 is ok?!?!?!?!?

Love the SnP collection
I thought I had a lot
You guys have a ton

What was the one SnP set you sold?

Cheers

Double post

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-01-15 20:20 ]

hang10tiki that sounds like a lot of clam chowder. I like it too. Here's what I've done to help Dan's salt and pepper collection be more complete.

============================

The shaker set that Dan sold was his purple and orange Harvey's set. Only Rugby Matt has one that I know of besides the one we sold.
Here's what I've done. PS Hammo I will get to your post soon.

Here's how we displayed them in Dan's collection before the sale.

I didn't take a photo of the backside so I requested photos from Rugby Matt and he sent these.

I needed to see the backside and he supplied a good photo.

I have always wanted to reproduce these because they are so rare and cute. Now was the time to get it done and it worked out really well. I started by making a block of sculpter's clay. Romo number two.

Then I began to cut out the design.

Now I began to build the body and

once that was done the

head.

Then I fashioned the ears, arms and legs.

Next I started on the backside.

I built it up and then

I couldn't resist adding Dan's butt. I did his butt once

before on the Coral Reef mug.

I made the bottom indented because it will have a cork.

Then I did the detailing on the front.

I'm so happy to be working on a project I've dreamed of for so long. Eakem Bookem made a mug of this sneaky tiki that was great, I'm glad I got to these before any one else.

I will make a run of them so if you want one let me know. Wendy

hang10tiki the gum wall is beautiful and disease ridden! There is a tree at Great America just like that. Same condition.

========================

I forgot to post these photos. Our dining room during the downsize has been decorated and re-decorated. It is now a Tiki Bob room.

There is only one original left in Dan's collection. I made some, there is one by Bosko and one by GROG. I will eventually add some more of mine.

Cheers, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2019 10:22 PM

Well, no one will mistake your version for the original....

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2019 10:29 PM

H10, the last time I was in Seattle was five years ago with my parents, visiting my sister when she lived there. Did you make it to Seattle Center? Dad had gone to the World's Fair as a kid, and one day of the trip just he and I rode the monorail and went up the Space Needle. The revolving restaurant wasn't open, but the elevator operator let us off for a quick look. Not tiki, but still great.

W- love the new SnP
I’ve never seen the originals in person
And the back side made me laugh

A Bob room
Now I’m jealous

Hamo- did not make it there this trip
But did go several years ago
Great view from the top

Cheers

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-01-17 11:17 ]

Hamo it's wonderful to have a model right here in my home. He also modeled for the Maori Head I made with the tongue out.

hang10tiki W- love the new SnP
I’ve never seen the originals in person ...come for a visit and I'll ask Dan if he can show you then! You did mean the butt didn't you?

=======================================

Now it was time to make the mold.

I found a board to put the shaker on and then I put some blocks around it. Wait a minute I don't have a box that is this small!

So I went and got a plastic container to use as the mold box. I put the blocks in place.

then I covered the blocks with clay and made a dam too.

We mixed a small batch of plaster and then

poured in in to the container.

After it had turned warm and set up I removed enough clay that I could take it all out of the plastic container.

I then removed all of the clay and blocks.

I chisel away any plaster that isn't a tight fit to the sculpture. That will keep the mold lines, that have to be cleaned off, smaller.

One mold piece done, two more to go. What do I have that will work for the next box? Cliff hanger. Cheers, Wendy

Yes his rear end

Put me down for a set please

Will you be making him into shot glasses too?

hang10tiki I put you on the list. As a shot glass collector I should have though of that. I bet I could convert it. Thank you for the idea.

===========================

More steps for making the Harvey shaker mold.

Dan found a shipping box of the right size to use for the next mold piece.

I put in the blocks and covered them with clay, sorry missed that photo. Then I painted on the mold soap, missed that photo too.

We were making a huge mold at the same time so I lost track of what photos I needed to take. So we poured in the plaster and let it set up.

Then I removed the clay and the blocks.

Two pieces are done and now I need to prep to do the last piece.

I trimmed the mold to make the connection with the sculpt tight. I don't want any sharp edges that will break off.

I cleaned off the crumbs and then I did the mold soap, three times wiping off the excess between, before setting it up for the pouring of the plaster.

One day I will show the steps for the bigger project. Cheers, Wendy

It’s coming along well

Great sunrise here today

Those shakers are looking really great.

I'd love to get a set, if you're planning a run.

edit: I had a bizarre thought, would you consider doing a shaker with 4-5 large holes for doing a 'flaming cinnamon' garnish on drinks?

[ Edited by: Sandbartender 2019-01-19 08:00 ]

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jan 19, 2019 11:43 PM

I like the idea of a shot glass. You could also turn it into a flaming rum reservoir like your smaller Tiki Bobs.

hang10tiki where are more photos? I can tell that yesterday you two were still in Seattle. Or is that the Stratosphere?

Sandbartender I put you on the list. I did one set with 4 and 5 holes. I'll make them larger if possible and then the bizarre cinnamon can fit in both. One shaker for each end of the bar, no fighting. Should work for coffee too. Should I put a C on the backs? It's fun to hear new ideas.

Hamo that works too. So many projects and just one pair of hands. I'll just keep on putting one hand in front of the next, mucking clay!

=================================

Now it's time to pour the last piece of the mold for the Harvey's shakers. I will need a hole at the bottom of each shaker for a cork and also a hole through the plaster in which to pour the slip.

I am again using a cardboard box as my mold box. I use clay to seal it so that it will not leak. I then put a stick right where the cork will go at the bottom of the shaker. I will hold it in place while Dan pours in the liquid plaster.

He does this very nicely. He's a wonderful helper.

Once the plaster is firming up I can let go of the stick.

It is at this time we notice that the box is leaking and that plaster is coming out the sides. I just plugged it at the bottom with dry paper towels. This works because the plaster is setting up. You can also put a plastic garbage bag into the box to catch these leaks.

Now it's time to twist the stick so that it isn't caught by the plaster. Also I'm going to keep it firmly set to the clay sculpt while I rotate the top to

make the opening into the mold larger. I will have to clean this each time I pour a mold so larger is better.

Once the plaster is warm and firm I can remove the box to see where the leak took the plaster.

Most of it suck on the box. The part that stuck on my mold was soft enough to chisel off easily. No problem at all.

I use crayons and mark the mold for easy assembly.

Now it's time to open the mold.

It came apart easily and the sculpt came out without a problem. No undercuts locking it in.

Now it will need to dry for 2 or 3 weeks before use. This sets up the plaster. If you start too soon the mold will crumble.

Thank you for watching, Wendy

PS Dan just said to me, "I'm going to go dump now". If you are a ceramicist you know that means he'll pour out the excess slip because the cast has enough that has firmed up.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-01-20 08:39 ]

Looks fantastic!

Thanks for putting me on the list.

A "C" on the back of the cinnamon shaker would be just fine. You could also do an "N" for nutmeg. :wink: but that one would definitely need smaller holes.

Sandbartender as the clay dries the entire little tiki shrinks and so do the holes. Then when I glaze I have to be careful to keep the holes open. I have to hope they turn out an appropriate size. The best part is a finger can always cover over some of the holes to stop anything from coming out if the holes are too large. I will give this a shot.

HARVEY'S SHAKERS one mold one half of a set poured each day.

It took two weeks of 24/7 fans blowing on the mold pieces to get it to dry. Every day those pieces were rotated so the air hit a different side. Now it is ready to have the slip poured in for the first cast.

For small molds I add a funnel so that I don't have to keep topping off the mold. Think IV bag. Keeping the mold full to the top with slip will ensure that the cast is even in thickness.

During this time I am also pouring the Sacramento Crawl mug for 2019 (to be shared in the future). At 45 minutes when the shaker needs to be emptied the crawl mug needs a top off. I made the mold thick so that it has a good amount at the top. Even still it needs more.

A match made in heaven. We use the left overs in the funnel for the shaker to top off the crawl mug mold.

Clear to the top. This is just enough to finish off it's casting time.

The opening to the shaker mold is very small. I use a scooper to remove the slip.

I scrap it down until I get to the plaster. Then very slowly so the opening doesn't glug glug collapsing the cast we empty the mold.

We leave it upside down for at least 4 hours then it's time to open the cast. It is OK to leave it overnight if you need to. The mold opened easily.

The little guy came out without catching anywhere.

The first few out of the mold will have plaster stuck on them but it will easily clean off.

The bottom is ready for a cork.

These will dry over a few weeks and then be sanded. Any imperfections you see here will be removed.

Here is the front.

Top.

I've been casting one per day for around three weeks, same for the crawl mug.

See how adorable this is. Dan's a great model.

It's like an army of minions! These are just so cute. I'm happy that I'm making them while working on the Wish List #8. New projects to be posted very soon.

I've been giving away the heads that I made in 2006. Jacoby came to pick up his.

Making tikis and meeting people who share this interest have given us a truly great life. Thank you everyone, Wendy and Dan

Wendy
Yes that sunrise pic was here in Vegas

Love the SnP army

Busy busy
Cheers

Jon

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 21, 2019 8:49 PM

Looking good. And thanks for the Crawl mug tease....

Those shakers are looking fantastic!

Any thoughts on the glazes? Are you planning orange/purple like the originals, or going for something more organic?

hang10tiki glad you are home and safe. I've never seen the space needle in Seattle up close so it was hard to tell. It is a little army.

Hamo you are welcome, here too.

Sandbartender I would like to match the original colors if possible. Then I may also match the mug which has a deeper purple. It's all fun. I might even super carve a set.

I am finally back to the Wish List #8. This project is for Hammo. He wants a hula girl bowl with a 1940's twist. He supplied a lot of photos that were a great help. Some were of my past projects that he liked and wanted incorporated into his design.

I cast three girls and then cleaned off the mold lines on the sides, bottoms

and shoulder areas.

When dry they will be sanded but for now they were ready for a tummy tuck.

He wanted his girls to be more upright. I removed some clay from the abdomen.

I put a layer of sticky clay in place to glue the area closed. I massaged her lover back so that it would stretch as I bent her forward. I've done this many times in the past. I should have sculpted her upright rather than leaning back.

Now that's much better.

The three are now upright and cleaned up and ready to attach to the bowl.

More tomorrow, Wendy

Ok
Now that’s an army

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2019 10:31 PM

Well, yesterday it was a tease; today there's nothing left to the imagination....

hnag10tiki are you tempted to enlist?

Hammo I'm posting a whole lot of photos after two days of losing my internet. Here are many days worth of steps in making your bowl.

This is the bowl I will trim to make it work for this Wish List #8 project.

I cut off the top and then cleaned off the mold lines.

Then I pressed in the sides to make the nooks for the hula girls.

I used sticky clay (slip mixed with trimmed clay) to stick them in place. I used a wet brush to remove the excess clay that squeezed out from behind the girls.

Once in place it's time to start on their outfits. I won't be able to work on the bottoms until the bowl is firm.

Here I am adding layers of tea leaves.

Then I started a lei.

On a different girl I added a coconut top.

On the third girl I added a sarong dress.

When the clay has firmed up days later I fine tune what has been added.

More detail is added.

Then for the grass hula skirt I began to carve.

Then I use a wire brush for further detail.

Next I refined the lei.

Hammo requested a band of tapa around the bowl and here is the start of this detail.

Dan tightened our cables and now the computer is working. Such a relief. Cheers, Wendy

Not my wish-list-item, but holy-moley, I sort of wish it was!

This is looking amazing! I can't wait to see it get to the glazing stage.

Great detail
Awesome Wendy

Sandbartender glazing will be so hard that I'm happy there is a break before that time. So many nooks and crannies.

hang10tiki I do so love to play with clay just like you love to work with your wood.

Wish List #8 the 1940's Hula Girl Bowl for Hammo is finished being sculpted. Now it will slowly dry for weeks in and out of a plastic bag and hour at a time.

A week later I was able to support it with a towel and turn it over so I could fine tune the bottom.

It was still moist enough to press in some additional clay where needed and then I sanded it with water on a paper towel.

Now I will move on to another project. I love comments, Wendy

Ham will love this I’m guessing

The times they are a-changing! I have begun to mentor Mahalo Tiki aka Nelson Parker and his gal Leah in the art of mold making. I am currently producing the 2019 Sacramento Crawl mug. Duane Orzol and Marlene Cross have agreed that Nelson is a good choice to produce the 2020 mug. As of this next crawl I will have made them for 10 years. It's time to pass the torch. I will then work on my Wish Lists, black velvet paintings and other small projects. This is a necessary change since I have developed carpal tunnel. I remember the surgery well from the last time and I'm hoping that cutting back will help me recover and avoid surgery on the opposite side. Making the crawl mug has been a joy. I will be there to help until he is ready to be on his own. Please Cheer him on.

Here are photos of the day of mentoring.

Over a year ago Nelson brought me his design for a Tiki Bomb mug. I did this sculpt. Now it has come in handy because I will teach him how to do a mold on his own art piece.

It will have a wick coming out of the top piece. It has a base so that it will not roll off of the table.

On the backside there is a warning symbol, it will also have an opening for the drink.

At the end of the day they had their mold. It needs to dry first and then Nelson and Leah will be producing their first mug.

Please cheer them on.

I will release photos of my 2019 Sacramento Crawl mug closer to summer. Cheers, Wendy

Passing the crawling tiki torch

hang10tiki thank you for the picture. I used it on facebook for my announcement. He'll take it over for 2020 and then I'll just do my own projects and the Wish List. No deadlines ever again!!! I am working on the 2019 crawl mug every day.

Progress Report for Wish List #8. I have finished a Hula Girl Green Coconut Goblet for MAE.

I've shown the steps so many times that I'm skipping most of them. Here is how it turned out.

One wish at a time but some take a week while others a day. This was a week. Cheers, Wendy

A Wendy classic

Viva La Hula Girls!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies