Name:The Outrigger
Type:bar
Street:4th St. and 5th Ave.
City:Rochester
State:MN
Zip: 55902
Phone:

Description:
I found this image a long time ago and have not been able to find any info on the location. I believe it was located inside of the Tropic Lanes bowling alley. Anyone have anything on this place? The image in the upper left corner rings a bell but I can't pin it down.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-11-28 16:14 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2010-11-29 22:12 ]

Trav,

Nice ad. I have the matchbook featuring the Outrigger Lounge and the Elbo Room.

The Tropic Bowl was actually located in Rochester, Minnesota.

They used the Tiki from the Waikiki Room located in the Hotel Nicolet in Minneapolis for the matchbook cover design.

DC

Here's a link where you can order a Tropic Bowl / Elbo Room t-shirt.

Looks like they don't have them in XL or XXL sizes so I'm out! :lol:

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2010-11-28 12:50 ]

Nice, Thanks!

On May 1, 2000 the Rochester city council adopted Resolution No. 265-00 authorizing the sale of the Tropic Bowl property for $500,000.

Thanks for the input guys. I never made the Minnesota connection. I have read someplace that the location has been torn down and a couple of box stores are now on the former site. Would be great to find some pictures of the place.

Another matchbook style from the Tropic Bowl.

That sign looked pretty cool.

DC

G
GailMN posted on Mon, May 4, 2015 4:54 PM

Hey everyone-just signed in to answer any questions about the Tropic in Rochester, MN

I hate to say it, but there was nothing great about the place. The Outrigger was the bar that was
there and it was pretty plain. All the college kids went there and drank and danced and made a mess of the place.
It was flooded out once-I don't think it was the same after that. Pretty run down.
I will look and see if I can find some pictures for you. They built a school and a senior home where it was.
I will be back...

N

https://www.reddit.com/r/rochestermn/comments/98wx2g/tropic_bowl/

[ Edited by: nixols 2018-09-17 15:44 ]

[ Edited by: nixols 2018-09-17 15:45 ]

A very cool discovery indeed. That logo tiki mask is just awesome. Thanks for doing the research and posting the image! Every little bit of information helps fill in the story.

C

Here's a cool satin jacket from eBay:

[ Edited by: Cavemoai 2018-11-07 12:20 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies