Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Trade Winds, South Lake Tahoe, CA (motel)

Pages: 1 4 replies

Name:Trade Winds
Type:motel
Street:Friday and Cedar
City:South Lake Tahoe
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

Ok here is a new location that has eluded the Tiki radar for all these years - the Trade Winds Motel located at stateline in South Lake Tahoe.

I just got this oversized postcard showing the awesome sign, building exterior, pool area and 60's mod room.

Close up of the Trade Winds sign with the palm tree and Tiki. The building had nice A-frame features with stylized outrigger beams. Also some mod panels that were repeated in the room.

The pool area with some great old cars and one of the motel rooms.

Always great to find these hidden gems.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2011-01-08 06:35 ]

Here is a picture of the Trade Winds now as the Blue Lake Inn.

Compare it to DC's postcard to see one of the outriggers is still intact.

The backside did not receive as much renovation as the front.

Compare the pool to DC's postard.

[ Edited by: abstractiki 2011-01-08 08:31 ]

Abstract,

Thanks for re-posting those photos of the motel from the great white out of 2011.

It seems as though the Trade Winds in South Lake Tahoe was related in style, architecture, signage and postcard layout to the Tropics Inn located in Reno, Nevada.

DC

You're welcome DC, there is definitely some some connection. I like the Tropics architecture and sign even more than the Tradewinds.

Naturally they ruined the place with "renovations" over the years. Here is a more recent pic. Now it's the Crest Inn. Note some of the outriggers are now cut off.

[ Edited by: abstractiki 2011-01-22 09:20 ]

I was up in Tahoe this summer and stopped by to visit this place. I found two more outrigger beams still intact on the north side of the building. Every thing else is pretty much the same as in the previous pics.

Pages: 1 4 replies