Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Weekender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's Feb 18-20

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

Pretty sure the place you are thinking of was called Huey's, now unfortunately closed.
Jonathan / Tiki-atari

So what is the plan - are most of you guys booking for the early dinner on Saturday? Let me know. I'm not sure if I'm joining Friday night but want to plan for Saturday.

Mahalo!

T-K,
I'm going out stag Fri night, and my wife Allison and I will both escape the bonds of parenthood Sat night for dinner and drinks. (Any idea whens about that dinner might be? Regardless save us some seats with this crew)

As to Saturday during the day, I'm not sure yet.

Atari

DC

I've heard from many locals that they will be in for one night or the other (some both - I love you Die Hards!!!), but not too many locals have committed to a potential Saturday night dinner.

No matter what others do, I figure that the 18-ish of us coming in from way-otta town are definitely doing dinner Saturday night. I was thinking 6:30 or 7. (I still intend to hit the bar at 5 pm)

If moving dinner a little either way will gather more people, we can do that - so if it matters to you, please chime in now.

Now for those who will come for dinner, would you like something arranged via Trader Vic's at a set price (other than drinks), or given the number of people, shall I just reserve enough tables to cover the number we expect and people eat as they please and each table takes care of their own bill.

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2011 6:47 PM

I'll be doing Dinner Saturday night, but will want to order whatever I want off the menu & plan on separate checks that individuals are responsible for taking care of themselves.

I know the other option may be easier for the restaurant, but I don't get to Atlanta often will want to pick out my own food from all available :D Let's just make sure we've got space available for an early dinner Saturday night - your timing sounds good to me, JJ.

I can't waaaaaait!!!!
Yippee!!
:) :) :D

My suggestion is that we set a suggested time for dinner so that everyone who can make it at that time gather and share a large table or tables within close proximity with each individual or couple being responsible for their own checks. I also think it would be best to select from the entire menu rather than rely on a meal choice selected by the restaurant. We may have vegetarians in the group or those like me who only eat seafood. Those pre-planned menus rarely consider things like that. Those who choose to eat earlier or later will not feel locked in, and those who want to eat elsewhere can always join us after dinner for drinks.
Personally, Trevor and I plan to do some running around in Atlanta Saturday followed by dinner and drinks with the group at Vics Saturday night. We can plan for whatever time everyone else wants to meet, and we would be happy to share a table. We will stick around for as late as I can convince him to keep on visiting and drinking! :)

C

On 2011-02-09 12:39, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
We will stick around for as late as I can convince him to keep on visiting and drinking! :)

Ya mean until they close the doors & kick us out so the staff can get some rest? :wink:

On 2011-02-09 12:39, SouthBamaTiki wrote:
My suggestion is that we set a suggested time for dinner so that everyone who can make it at that time gather and share a large table or tables within close proximity with each individual or couple being responsible for their own checks. I also think it would be best to select from the entire menu rather than rely on a meal choice selected by the restaurant. We may have vegetarians in the group or those like me who only eat seafood. Those pre-planned menus rarely consider things like that. Those who choose to eat earlier or later will not feel locked in, and those who want to eat elsewhere can always join us after dinner for drinks.
Personally, Trevor and I plan to do some running around in Atlanta Saturday followed by dinner and drinks with the group at Vics Saturday night. We can plan for whatever time everyone else wants to meet, and we would be happy to share a table. We will stick around for as late as I can convince him to keep on visiting and drinking! :)

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Well I know a trend when I see one. Along with some emails I have gotten, let's forget any idea of any kind of semi-catered dinner, and stick to something which lets people order from the menu and everyone be responsible for their own bill.

For now, let's call it 7 pm. This will allow the sightseers to head back to the hotel, freshen up and put on their Aloha wear. It should also give locals unhurried time to make it in.

Mind you, I will be at the bar the moment they unlock the rum, so da party doesn't have to wait til 7! I've never been to the Atlanta TV, and I intend to make the most of it. So if you are around, come on down!

I'm putting down a names that have replied here, or to me by email about dinner.
If I've accidentally jumped the gun, please reply, quote the list and take your name off.
(and if I missed you, sorry! Please quote and add your name)

I know that there are more people than this, but I wanted to err on the low side for the moment. Some of the people in or near Atlanta are deciding Friday vs Saturday like Tiki Kiliki, and I'll let them add their names. Based on the list so far, I plan to make a reservation for 24 and will adjust up during the beginning of the week.

Also, this list is for dinner on Saturday night, there are others who will be coming just for drinks and fun over the course of the evening.

jwtiki (+2)
SouthBamaTiki (+1)
croe67
TikiAtari (+1)
TikiGAP (+1)
Sabina
OakTiki
Formikahini (+?)
Blacklagoon (+1)
FenrixTiki (+1)
Hep (+1)
Alex
Melissa

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-12 12:45 ]

UPDATE:
For those looking for a little "Wildsville" action,
Derek Yaniger will be with us at Trader Vic's on Saturday night.

My Vegas gig got moved to April...so I'm like, insville, Daddy-O!
See you on Saturday, man...

Derek

We've added more names for Saturday night's dinner.
(if you would like to join in for dinner, please post and copy/add to the list)

Twenty-four now confirmed:
jwtiki (+2)
SouthBamaTiki (+1)
croe67
TikiAtari (+1)
TikiGAP (+1)
Gooneybird (+3)
Sabina
OakTiki
Formikahini (+?)
Blacklagoon (+1)
FenrixTiki (+1) whoops, I had them listed twice in the previous post
Hep (+1)
Tiki Kiliki

The very happy folks to host us at Trader Vic's have very generously offered up $5.40 Mai Tais for our group on both Friday and Saturday night!!!

One catch, you have to be specially identified as being part of our shindig to get the special.

Thanks to a very special donation from a friend of ours who has a button making machine, I will have 40 "Tiki Weekender" 2 1/4 inch buttons to hand out for those who make it out on Friday and Saturday night.

This weekend keeps getting better and better, the only thing it is missing is YOU!

See you in Atlanta soon!
jwtiki (aka JJ Tiki)

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-14 16:13 ]

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-14 16:14 ]

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-14 17:33 ]

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-15 12:29 ]

Looks like I'll be bringing about 10 or 12 locals for drinks on Friday after work, our usual neighborhood Happy Hour taken on the road to Trader Vics!

I will be arriving at some point Saturday and having dinner and cocktail with everyone. Please add me to the reservation as 1 person. Mahalo!

Yay TikiKiliki!! I'll save ya a seat with Trevor and me.
J, ya better save me one of those buttons! :)
Really can't wait to see those I know and meet new friends.

Well, we shall all be partying like it's 1944 soon!

Can't thank the board enough for the many who plan to join in and the many great suggestions for things to do when you don't have a Mai Tai in hand.

You'll find me in the bar each night starting at 5 pm. For those who have confirmed ahead of time and let me know you are definitely coming, I promise that I will make sure that there is a button for you. I think we will be covered, but I have a Plan B to cover all possibilities.

For anyone who doesn't already have it, or may need it, PM me and I will forward you my cell number.

Be sure to let Trader Vic's know how much you appreciate their special support for a fun weekend. They've giving us two nights of $5.40 Mai Tais (gotta find me and get a button!), providing us with a very nice function room for dinner Saturday night, and even are throwing in some nice leis (save the jokes for Friday) in to keep things festive. Up the ante by strutting out in your Aloha wear.

No matter the setting, people make the party, and it looks like we've got a hell of a time ahead of us!

Aloha, I can't wait to meet you all at Trader Vic's Atlanta!!!

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-17 09:02 ]

Friday night was awesome! Great to meet a few new ohana. Looking forward to Saturday night's festivities.

It was a hell of a kickoff for the weekend. The drinks were great and the company was even better. So glad to meet in person the folks we had shared posts with through the tiki or rum boards.

But the fun has just begun...by tonight all of the distance travelers will be here and we are expecting even more people tonight than last night. Dinner tonight for 25-30 at 7 pm in the Tonga room, and another evening of fun and great company in the lounge.

(btw, if those who got pins last night plan to come again tonight, please try to remember to bring them with you - that would be a big help!)

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2011-02-19 09:54 ]

Good time Friday night, thanks JJ for putting it all together.

I hate that I missed this, I just flew back in from Vegas so I needed the rest. If there are any future Tiki events in Atlanta please let me know--I wanta join in the fun. I wish we had more Tiki events in Atlanta.

C

WOW!!!!

That was one hell of a weekend.

As I'm sitting at the Atlanta airport waiting to board my plane home, I am already missing the comfy home of Trader Vic's Atlanta! It was great seeing everyone & chatting with so many locals, too - thanks a bunch for coming out & adding to the FUN!

Looking forward to seeing you all again!!

Had so much fun Friday night, I had to go back Saturday! Here are some random pics from the event... (camera phone= my excuse for poor quality... sorry.)

All of the cocktails we sampled were tasty and the food was also very good. It's great to report that TV Atlanta is closing in on 40 and still going strong.

It was wonderful to see so many out of town ohana. Hope to see you again soon!

C

Here are a few of my pictures as well for your viewing enjoyment :D

Thanks so much for putting this together, J! It was a blast! It was very nice meeting everyone Saturday evening, and the highlight of the night was definitely having Derek show up. Vanessa, who I believe is the manager, was so welcoming and helpful. Mahalo to her for the Valentine's Day glasses! We really need to make this an annual event!

The Tiki Weekender was a hell of a time. There was a great mix of people combined with excellent drinks and the setting of a museum quality tiki palace - the Atlanta Trader Vic's.

Friday night started off slowly. A few of the out of towners were not able to make it in until later in the evening and some not until Saturday. At 6:10 I wondered if I had over estimated the number of local Ohana coming. Very soon the bar was packed with Tiki Weekenders, the local Ohana came in strong and in waves over the evening ready to mix and party. Eventually we had all but two of the 17 pilgrims from out of town. Papalennon brought in about 12 happy hour friends with him. The best estimate was that Friday night saw right around 50 tikiphiles joining in on the fun over the course of the evening. Thanks to the very cooperative people at Trader Vic's our party enjoyed $5 Mai Tais and provided us with their very best bartenders for the night. They did not disappoint. I finally had the opportunity to compare the regular Mai Tai versus the made from scratch Mai Tai. Even the regular is good, but the from scratch is great. One can only wonder how off the chart it must have been back in the day when Vic's had the 17 year old Wray and Nephew rums and the Coruba to use.

As if the evening couldn't get better, TikiGAP and Julie opened up their room for a midnight after-party with 1934 Zombies that cruised till 2 am and most participants having no idea how they got back to their rooms!!! (fyi, I made the mistake of going back to my room before this after-hours soiree and fell asleep where I sat - missing it completely :| )

Saturday had many people in full recovery mode and others adventurous enough to check out the sights of the city. I went out with ExoticSabina and OakTiki for some classic diner action and a rum trek. One of the great things about being away from home is that you almost always will find rums you will not find at home or at prices which surprise you. I found a few bargains and Sabina and Mike found a few boxes of rums worth carting back to Maryland.

On Saturday night we had close to 30 for dinner at Trader Vic's. After which we returned to the bar to meet up with a combination of repeat offenders from the night before and folks who had not made it to Friday night. Everyone spent the evening draining the bar and comparing notes about their daytrips and naps.

There are way too many to thank by name, but mahalos to the many local Ohana who either attended or put up excellent suggestions on additional Atlanta spots to hit. (I even managed to hit both the Majestic and the Silver Skillet) Special thanks to the several local Ohana who came out both nights. You were excellent ambassadors of Atlanta and to the Aloha Spirit.

Thanks to the many friends and fellows who came in from the four corners to share the weekend and the rum.

Thanks to Trader Vic's who still does it up royal and manages to stay true to the ideals for which the Ghost of Vic Bergeron would proud to see.

Thanks to Derek Yaniger and Ed Hamilton for making it down on Saturday. You both had many here who appreciate your work.

It was a great time and the only thing I can think of that would have made it better was if Trader Vic's was open for lunch or Sundays. I spent every minute I could at TV's and cannot wait to get back, with or without a group. (but groups are much more fun!)

Pages: 1 2 71 replies