Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies

Those look great...adds some classy ambiance!!!

T

Thank you for visiting and for your feedback, hiltiki and Marlene!

TikiSkip is extraordinarily talented in his craft and also very generous. He made a gift of this custom tray to the Blowfish Bar...

Mahalo nui loa, Skip!

-Tom

Anything else to share? Wendy

Mele Kalikimaka, Wendy!

Well, there are always things to share. Pat and I just had a big party at the Blowfish Bar in honor of the Hawaiian Inn Polynesian show cast and their families from Daytona Beach, Florida. In planning this, we wanted to do something a bit different than Luau fare and Polynesian music, as that is what those folks do all the time. So we decided on Cajun food and a live Caribbean steel drum band for entertainment. Here’s the party invitation…

We served rum cocktails using the recipes in Beachbum Berry Remixed. Here were the featured drinks…

The Planter’s Punch was Stephen Remsberg’s recipe on page 212 of Remixed… that is a really good cocktail.

We had beautiful weather the day of the party… moderate temperatures in the 70s, very slight breeze, and mostly clear skies, although fog rolled in off the ocean and made it look like a scene out of “Brigadoon” until near sunset, when it finally cleared. Nani Maka and Randy Avon, both from Fort Lauderdale, arrived in the morning, having overnighted it at a nearby motel. Randy made us Bloody Marys for breakfast using his original recipe, and Nani snapped this photo of me near our mural…

Photo credit: Nani Maka Maloney

The photos of the party that follow were made by our guests, as I was too busy enjoying everyone and everything.

Mark Woods, our bartender, arrived early to start preparing for the onslaught of approximately 60 guests…

Photo credit: Vicki Owens

He was later joined by his lovely assistant, Shelly Britt…

Photo credit: Chris Kridler / ChrisKridler.com

As guests arrived, folks migrated just outside the bar to the deck of our beach house… On the left you can see the corner of a large dining tent I had set up at ground level…

View of beach house looking south…

The Caribbean Crew Steel Drum Band from Orlando set up near the base of our deck spiral stairway. The crowd loved them as they played a variety of traditional reggae, calypso and soca, as well as special requests. Here are (left to right) Ritchie, Ronny and Trevor setting up to play…

In the next two photos are Wailana McFall and her daughter, Tiana. Wailana is the executive hula girl of the Hawaiian Inn Polynesian show and Taina recently joined as a performer. Here they are, two Polynesian dancers, dancing to a Caribbean beat…

The expressive Tikis along the fence were brought by Ed Volonnino of Ed’s Heads in Melbourne, Florida. Ed and the late Wayne Coombs of Mai Tiki in Cocoa Beach were, in their youth, very unfriendly competitors. As they aged and mellowed, both became good friends and frequently spent time together discussing life, the universe and everything. Here is Ed at the party, with two of his other Heads…

Here is Ed’s lovely wife, Christina…

Pat and I made Ahi Poke (marinated sashimi-grade tuna) as an appetizer for the party… it was a big hit. The Hawaiians present claimed it was better than the “locals” made, but they were likely just being overly gracious in their compliments…

Here’s Pat, hostess of the party…

And here I am with the renowned TikiHardBop (George Jenkins)…

The DeTiki family of Justin and Sarah (Tiki-Troll) Tanner and son, Hank, from Ormond Beach are ascending the spiral stairway to the deck…

In this photo are Kim Barkman (left) and Phillip and Ann Haire…

Bobby Avon, son of Randy Avon and grandson of Pualani Mossman Avon, on left, chatting with Phillip Haire…

Tiki Mike, Metikigal (Christina Jordan) and Bill Surfacabra from the Space Coast…

Nani Maka Maloney from Fort Lauderdale and Phillip Haire from Satellite Beach, Florida…

Ed Volonnino brought along a Tiki chess game he acquired from the estate of Wayne Coombs. The chess pieces were carved by Crazy Al.

Photo credit: Christina Jordan

Tamara Hollingsworth, Tiki Mike’s wife…

Photo credit: Tiki Mike

In the next photo, Tamara and Wailana are standing in our remodeled guest bathroom. Note that the mirror frame on the left above the sink was carved by Bosko Hrnjak…

Shelf for Tiki mugs above bathroom cabinet…

Apologies to TornadoTiki (Chris Kridler) for the posterior view (blame it on Tiki Mike)…

Randy Avon is on the right…

Note Wendy mugs on the bar shelves…

Meanwhile, back on the deck…

Our son, Tommy, participating in the limbo contest…

Two former performers of the Yankee Clipper Polynesian Room were reunited at the party, Prince Faalia on the left with a ukulele instead of the Samoan knives he used to perform with, and the still gorgeous Nani Maka Maloney on the right…

Photo credit: Nani Maka Maloney

Sunset reflected in the sky over the Atlantic Ocean, as viewed from the beach house deck…

-Tom

:)
Wow
Someone knows how to throw a party
AWESOME
Thanks for the sharing the photos
Love your place

Jon

hang10tiki beat me to all the lines I wanted to say. So I 2nd that. You are living the dream. Wendy

What a great-looking party! Jealous.

Tom, the pad really looks great and the party looks like it was a fantastic success. I hope all is well with you and your family.

T

Jon, Wendy, Destro100 and Trav, greatly appreciate you visiting the thread and posting comments. Trav, all is well with us… hope the same is true for you! You must be really enjoying that basement bar of yours right now, given the Midwestern winter under way.

Our friends in Tiki, DeTiki and Tiki-Troll, allowed me to purchase one of the pair of freestanding Tikis they acquired from the closing sale of Julian’s Dining Room & Lounge in Ormond Beach, Florida… reference this Tiki Central thread. The one I acquired formerly welcomed customers as they checked in at the hostess station prior to being seated for cocktails and dinner…

In its new home at the Blowfish Bar, it occupies a place of honor in front of the mural inspired by Julian’s, where it may continue to welcome guests…

-Tom

That's a really nice style. Wendy

Great pictures...good to put names to them...bridges the gap. Your party looked totally fantastic...had to be in such an awesome setting.

You know how to throw one heck of a party! Well done!

T

Mahalo, Marlene & LoriLovesTiki. That was one fun party… great guests and entertainment, along with fine cocktails and outstanding food.

Wendy, I wish we knew who carved the Julian’s Tikis…

The latest art edition to the Blowfish Bar is this limited edition print by Miles Thompson, the “Wahine Trio,” rich in Tiki iconography…

-Tom

H

Wow, this is nice. Miles is one of my favorite artists on TC. Your place looks great.

T

Tom your place and parties look awesome!
I'm so happy to have my lights in such a great environment
surrounded by such great artists.
Thanks again!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

T

Hiltiki, thank you… Miles is a terrific artist.

Skip, your lights are themselves works of art… we are grateful to have them spicing up the décor of our home and bar. Pat and I wish you and your family, as well as the rest of the TC Ohana, a very Happy New Year!!!

-Tom

I love this place
:)

That's adorable. Wendy

T

Newest addition to the Blowfish Bar: Uncle Trav's Trader's Hut miniature, flanked by Skipper Kent's Moai salt and pepper shakers... Amazing detail, Trav!

-Tom

That's awesome...............

That is a beautiful piece by Miles! Looks great on your wall Tom!

T

Been a while since I've visited here... appreciate the feedback, Jon and Robert!

The newest addition at the Blowfish Bar is the awesome Mai-Kai Mug of Tiki Diablo (Danny Gallardo)...

Last weekend, the Blowfish Bar happily hosted some of our Space Coast friends, Phillip and Ann Haire, along with their daughter, Maile...

-Tom

Aloha TikiTomD

Five things: One, is that Nani Maka Maloney, at your Christmas party, the same as the actress Nani Maka in the now cult tiki movie classic Pagan Island?

from a Florida tourist weekly you provided on another thread

frame from Pagan Island

Two, what happened to the gorgeous mural from Julian’s Dining Room, is it still there? Love your homage to it in the Blowfish Bar.

Three, love also that little hut. Tell me it's background. Is it a remodel of the model from page 2 of this thread.

Four, here are three Miguel Covarrubias works from the web that I like. I know you were researching him. You have great art in the Blowfish that I would love to also own but my favorite is late 20s to early 40s Art Deco works from or about Polynesia. Miguel is from that period and here are three examples of his work that would fit in any tiki bar.

Finally five, This art in the Blowfish is, at some distance, my view from my roof. Need to build a second floor! At one end of Kaneohe Bay is Chinaman's Hat, the little island you see in this print, but the proper name for it is Mokoli'i which in Hawaiian legend is the piece of the dragon's tail that the goddess and younger sister of Pele, Hi'iaka killed. At the other end of Kaneohe bay is Coconut Island (Moku o Lo'e), the original Gilligan's Island.

We, on TC, are all connected by some degree. :)

Matt

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-07-30 04:19 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-07-30 04:21 ]

Aloha, Matt!

1. Yes, Nani Maka Maloney is one and the same as Princess Nani Maka starring in the movie, Pagan Island. Nani, along with Puanani "Greta" Kanemura (later to be Mrs. Bob Van Dorpe), was the original Mai-Kai Mystery Girl. The movie itself was filmed in Miami, with the underwater scenes filmed at the Miami Seaquarium. Bunny Yeager, famous pin-up model and photographer, selected the cast. Nani was one of Bunny Yeager's models.

2. I believe the mural remains at Julian's, but the property is still for sale, despite a newspaper article some time ago indicating a buyer who planned to rename it and keep it as a restaurant. The mural is definitely in jeopardy. Last weekend I drove by Julian's, and the for-sale sign now sports a "Reduced" price sign (no price stated) :(

3. The little hut is one of several I was fortunate enough to acquire from Tiki Central's master miniature hut maker, uncle trav... here is a Tiki Central link to his creations.

4. Love the works of Miguel Covarrubias, particularly the examples you cited... I don't personally have any of his original art.

5. Awesome that you have such a view! We acquired that painting decades ago from the artist in Waikiki along the Honolulu Zoo fence.

Totally agree, we on this forum are all connected to some degree, and that is a good thing... I have learned much here, contributed a few things, and found new friends and interests through Tiki Central.

Mahalo, Matt, for your visit. Please come back :)

-Tom

I hadn't looked at the bar section in awhile so I stopped by and Wow, when I saw your posts I was so very happy. The art is fabulous and the history so wonderful to read. Thank you TikiTomD for a fun ride. Wendy

Thanks Tom for your quick and helpful replies.

Your, got a lot in common, fellow tiki guy, Matt

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-07-30 15:27 ]

T

Wendy, so nice to hear from you! As you can probably see from the photos, your Zombie Village torch mug and Fu-Bob mug are front and center on mug shelves at the Blowfish Bar... and it was great to see your work featured in Sven's magnificent new book, Tiki Pop! Congratulations! Best wishes to you and Dan.

-Tom

Aloha Tom
Like the new photos

Jon

T

Aloha, Jon! Mahalo!

Latest art addition to the Blowfish Bar is this wonderful original by Miles Thompson, who titled it "blackhearty"...

Rich in iconography, it looks like it arises from a chance meeting of Herman Melville and Robert Louis Stevenson on some remote Polynesian isle, where they regale one another with stories beneath a super moon while sharing a bottle of rum...

-Tom

Thar be booty

H

Tom, your latest Miles painting is outstanding.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies