Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Bob art show at the Tonga Hut March 27 starting at 4pm.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies

Damn Mike, that's awesome as hell.

L

Mike that looks great so far! Are you going to make a ceramic swizzle in the shape of Fay Wray?

Mike...another winner!
:)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 28, 2011 4:29 PM

Yay! Just got back from a week in Tennessee (brother got married). Now GROG gotta get going on doing some Bob stuff (besides finishing up some previous customer orders.)

MDM, that Bob Kong is looking good. GROG also looking forward to seeing MP's Bobatay Mug finished up. TikiMan77, nice drawings, now get to painting! Pour Perry pour. Wendy's kicking some booty, too. Thanks for including the Pop Tiki of Colorado Bob carvings. GROG looked for those, but couldn't find 'em. The Tiki Bub stuff is fun. too.

And remember people, if you're too far away to make it into the Tonga Hut Bob show, we'll be doing the online show starting March 28.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-02-28 17:58 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2011 10:17 AM

Today is the 1st of March, so that means you've got 26 days to get some Bob art done for the Tiki Bob art show, so artists get crackin'. And those of of you already well on teir way, keep up the good work. GROG looking forward to what all the artists come up with.

Grog, me want be in show but me not too bright. Me started two projects today but made them on table and the bowl is stuck there. Maybe when more dry they will let go?

My first ceramic bowl. I did everything with Dan right down to making the molds. I show the steps on my crafts thread.

In 1981 we went to Mazatlan. So Dan suggested I make this guy who was in a show. His name is Tiki Roberto.

Bottom right shows Dan and I dancing.

On another trip that year I ran into Kong and now MadDogMike is making Bob Kong with one of my casts. How fun is that?

So wish me luck that the bowl comes loose! Thanks Grog your the best, Wendy

LT

On 2011-03-01 14:40, danlovestikis wrote:

Will there be a matching rooster decanter...?

I would leave that up to MadDogMike! Wendy

¡Viva Tiki Roberto!

T

Wow! Great stuff in the works form everybody so far!

Here are a few of the pieces I'm creating for the show.

I wanted to do a mug based on the actual Tiki Bob that still stands in front of the old location:

The proportions were a little off for what I want to do with it, so I sculpted another one that's better proportioned, taller and thinner:

I made a Moai Bob pendant a while ago, and I always wanted to make it into a mug, so this was the perfect opportunity:

And this is the Flaming Primordial Tiki Bob Bowl! The Bob in the center has a chamber on top for 151. The bowl is surrounded by half-formed Bobs rising from the primordial ooze.

I have a couple more ideas that I need to get started, but I need to get these finished up too!

I'm really looking forward to this show!
Mahalos Grog for organizing!

Tobunga, I'm going to have to jazz up my Bob bowl now that I've seen
your super-bowl. Great job on every one of your Bob's. This is going to be a really fun show. Wendy

Eric you've been busy! Great ceramic sculpts.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 12:49 AM

That's funny Tobunga. Doing a mug that was like the carving that still stands in front of the old Tiki Bob location was an idea GROG had also. Now GROG glad GROG not start it.

We need to make a mold of yours and cast it. (That's what GROG was going to do). It will end up being a little smaller than the original sculpt, so hopefully yours not too small.

GROG excited to see what everybody is doing. We need more 2-D artists getting involved, too.

GROG check Ocea Otica's blog, and the sculpt for the Zombie Bob looks pretty killer.

[ Edited by: grog 2011-03-03 01:05 ]

T

Hey Wendy and Mike! I’m still getting my sea legs in the wonderful world of ceramics, so your encouraging words are appreciated!

Wendy, what about making fire chambers on the tops of the three Bob’s heads? Bowls are always more fun when you can set them on fire!

Ernie, the mug is about 10 inches tall. Do you think that’s big enough to make a mold? That sounds like an awesome idea!

I’m also planning to do a couple of wall-hanging pieces, including a couple of drawings, but I wanted to get the ceramic stuff going first, since they have such a long process to completion.

T

On 2011-03-03 00:49, GROG wrote:
We need more 2-D artists getting involved, too.

I'm on it, Senor! I should have a sneak peak shortly...

All of the pieces so far look fantastic. Kudos to everyone!

T

Drawing the actual "Bobs" on the watercolor paper of My wife's, and will be onto Painting them by tomorrow. Since I'm not really a painter, doing it all in watercolor pencils first, and then gonna try some other stuff. will post Images of it as I go later.

T

Started drawing it this afternoon. Had to stop writing a script on the computer that I've been working on what seems like Forever, so while I had the time today, and with the clock ticking down till the show, I got to work on the Bob's. I didn't want to do them Exactly like the sketches from the page before. Not really used to working at this size of paper, so a little more planning went into this version, and I'm actually quite happy with how It's come out.

The First version after fleshing out all the details. Wasn't really happy with how "KNOW NO" Bob came out, so I put it all aside adn thought about what I wanted and how to do it. Luckily though, my wife grabbed the board, paper and pencil and erased his eyes and part of his Mouth.

the Final outcome with his Eyes Changed, and the smile on his mouth.

Closeup shot of him and "SEE NO" Bob.

Even closer shot of "HEAR NO" and "SPEAK NO" Bobs. Couldn't avoid "SEE NO" here either, so a closer shot of him as well.

Again, taken with my cell phone tonight. hopefully you can get a sence of what I'm going for. With any luck, I can have it all done by tomorrow tonight. I'll keep ya all posted.

[ Edited by: TiKiMaN77 2011-03-03 22:03 ]

Looks good TikiMan, can't wait for some colors to bring it to life!

Here's my only progress in the past few days :lol:

I think Notch is doing a recon mission and will be building HotRod Bob for the show

On 2011-02-05 21:09, NOTCH wrote:

What a wonderful photo of Notch.

I started thinking about tikis that blow up in the kiln or glazes that flake off and ruin the work. Too much thinking but it got me working harder. I've made enough Bobs now that some should be fine for the show. None of these are finished they are still drying. But here is how they look as of this morning.
Cheers, Wendy

Super carved Bob, Tiki Roberto, Peacenik Bob, Shriner Bob, Tiki Bob Bowl

I made the Shriner Bob to match the Shriner hat on our family room tiki.

Almost forgot Decanter Bob

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-03-05 16:40 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 12:48 PM

Holy crap you've been busy. You make GROG look bad! GROG waiting for mold to dry so GROG can start casting. Your stuff is looking great Wendy. GROG hope they all come out with no glaze or firing problems.

O

On 2011-03-05 11:50, MadDogMike wrote:
I think Notch is doing a recon mission and will be building HotRod Bob for the show

On 2011-02-05 21:09, NOTCH wrote:

i finished the Notch-o Bob for the show

On 2011-03-06 05:27, OceaOtica wrote:
i finished the Notch-o Bob for the show

Wax?

Wendy, that decanter and carved wood lookin Bob are fantastic!
MDM, started collab mugs with a few folks that traded hands at teh Tiki Mugs book signing in 2008 (?). Finally getting around to finishing them; so for the show will have a Notch Roberto Loco I modified to make a Notcho-o Bob. Great seeing all this work come together! Back to it, between the Bob show, shrinkie dinks head show and Monsterpalooza gots me hands full

OceaOtica, Two Roberto's in one show, must be a junior in there somewhere! So glad you like my Bob's. I look forward to seeing yours, Wendy

T

I know it's not much but here's a sneak peek at my Tiki Bob piece for the show...

Love it Tabor! :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2011 9:58 AM

All right Tobor!! Looking good.

GROG think GROG mold dry enough to finally start pouring some greenware. Probably be firing the day before the show, as usual.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2011 5:05 PM

[ Edited by: grog 2011-03-08 19:29 ]

Oh Grog, I can hardly wait to see your in progress photos. The last few days I carved and sanded the Bobs. Right now they are in the kiln and the bisque fire is heating up. Fingers Crossed. (: Wendy

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2011 5:17 PM

Yay Wendy! GROG will be bisque firing tonight also, but just some Bob Shots and Salt&Pepper Shakers, some Moai mugs with Topknot lids for some orders, and some mugs and bowls Tobunga brought over to be fired.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-08 17:46 ]

T

Just FYI....I don't think Marty Lush will be there for this.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2011 5:48 PM

What?!!

Crap!

Now GROG gotta change the flier.

T

the Colors so far.

Almost done. Just have to go back to the art store tomorrow and pick up a New Paint Pen. turns out the one I bought today was opened already, and now is Dried up. Just have to Ink a few more pieces on here tomorrow afternoon, and decide what I want to do for the background.

With nothing to do while the kiln cools I pulled out a painting in progress and turned it into a Tiki Bob painting. Can you guess who it is? The clothes are his own. I'm doing this from a photo I took of him at Oasis. That's the hint. If you recognize yourself don't give it away! Cheers, Wendy

Next step - arms and hands

That's a picture of ME from Oasis!!!
(Not the guy with the Tiki Bob mugs, the one over his right shoulder :lol: )

L

TikiMann77 I love the speak no evil Bob with the zipper mouth the best.

The show concept is a great one Grog...going to try to road trip down for this one if I can.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2011 11:29 AM

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-10 15:13 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2011 3:15 PM

DJ Audrey providing the tunes.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 12, 2011 11:40 PM

Today.... GROG innocently trying to make some nice art for the Tiki Bob show. But instead, GROG earned a spot in hell!! Spurred on by some unseen force, GROG unknowingly brought forth to this world the Spawn of Satan! Granted, right now it's still just a rough sculpt, but it is sculpted. There are plenty of ways that it may not make it to the art show. GROG could drop it, or GROG could break it while doing the cleanup carving on it. The glazing could go badly and GROG may have to take a hammer to it. But our only true hope, and the only way to completely destroy it's evil spirit, is that it blows up in the kiln. We can only pray that this happens.

May the world, and God, one day be able to forgive GROG for what GROG has done.

Out of clay and forged by the hands of GROG......"Cutesy" Bob has arrived.

Lol, whatever form the Spawn takes, I have a feeling I want one. Can't wait to see it Ernie!!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 14, 2011 6:33 PM

Behold the EVIL that is.........CUTESY BOB!!

If you hate Tiki Bob because he is too cute, well GROG ramped the cuteness level even higher and "Cutesy Bob" was the result. May the world forgive GROG for what GROG hath brung forth.

Tis an evil ting you done, Grog!

B

On 2011-03-14 18:33, GROG wrote:

If you hate Tiki Bob because he is too cute, well GROG ramped the cuteness level even higher and "Cutesy Bob" was the result. May the world forgive GROG for what GROG hath brung forth.

GROG on Fire! Babalu like!!

T

Awesome, Grog! 'Nuff Said!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 14, 2011 10:27 PM

On 2011-03-14 19:05, Big Kahuna wrote:
Tis an evil ting you done, Grog!

Yes, GROG so ashamed.

On 2011-03-14 19:08, Babalu wrote:
GROG on Fire! Babalu like!!

Are you saying GROG going to burn in hell for what GROG has done?
GROG glad you like, Babalu. You're one sick puppy!

On 2011-03-14 19:43, Tobor64 wrote:
Awesome, Grog! 'Nuff Said!

Thanks Tobor, GROG look forward to seeing your Bob art. The sneak peek looks good.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-14 22:28 ]

LT

On 2011-03-14 18:33, GROG wrote:

He does look a bit like a Disney character... :)

Disney + Tiki = Cash in, Man!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies