Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

SWIZ - Mugs 'n' Stuff....yep! More lamps (and some pendants).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 455 replies

S

Here ya go tikiskip. Still working on ceramics occasionally. Here's a selection of older pieces and a few new designs in no particular order.

The last of the Bombardier Ellistay mugs.

A couple of new designs in the Bombardier Ellistay 'series'. These two designs were taken from the Kona Kai apartments, not the Kona Pali like the original mug.

B.E. Kona

B.E. Kai

Some Pa'akiki shot glasses and then a few different bowls using Pa'akiki as 'feet'.

Sergeant Bonehead.

J.D.M. (John Doe Moai)

Another mug based on a carving which stood in front of the now defunct Hawaiian Isle in Florida. Still deciding on a name.

Lieutenant Marqative and Lieutenant Posquesan. (You work it out).

And if you didn't see it in the swizzle thread i've had some custom swizzle sticks made.

I now have an Etsy store. Some of this stuff is listed there, some of it has sold and others are still to be added.

Cheers
swiz

[ Edited by: swizzle 2017-09-13 03:57 ]

H

Beautiful work.

Freekin wicked bruddah
Awesome

Good time to put those over on Gallery or have you? I just said to Dan that I hadn't heard from you in a long time. I hope your parents are doing well. It's fun to re-visit your art. I hope you will be able to do more in the future. We've missed you, Wendy

Knock out stuff &
lots of it.
Thanks.

C
cy posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2017 7:56 AM

Excellent Swiz!

T

Wrote this post right after you posted these.
After a day went by and no hits.
You have got a few since then and that is something.

Swizz man these are awesome!
Some of the glazing is way cool and very unique.

Keep doing ceramics Swizz!

Have seen many tiki art types give up or not post as much and that is too bad as some of them
Are doing great new stuff like yours here.

Seeing great tiki art stuff posted on TC get almost no feedback while some other ok or let’s face it not so good tiki “art” get tons of feedback drives the newer or flat out ignored tiki art people away.
I think it is a big part of what is killing TC and driving down participation on TC.
And others here have said this as well.

Thanks for posting these as they are new and way cool if shipping were not so high from Australia that and the freeze out from the tiki syndicate not promoting you, your mugs would be even more popular and looked for than they are now.

When I was buying ITV mugs nobody really was buying them NOW people really want those mugs and there are not tons of them cranked out so they are rare and have value.

Don’t let the Tiki syndicate beat you down.
One day the people pulling the strings will be gone and that is when the cream will rise to the top and all tiki art will need to stand or fall on its own.

You will be dead, but hey it’s something.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-09-15 05:05 ]

T

On 2017-09-13 03:53, swizzle wrote:

This glaze and technique is very cool, and It's the one I was talking about in my PM to you.

That one would work.

Great stuff Swiz!!

Hey Swizzle will you be making any more of your coconut Tiki Bob's because I have a friend who would like to get one from you. Please let me know, Wendy

S

Thanks all.

My latest design. A lot of work and highly impractical but i'm very happy with it.

I like it.

Oh, I LOVE that one! That is fantastic.

H

Love your latest piece, you are such an original, love how you come up with new designs every time.

S

Thank you Will, bamalamalu and hiltiki.

Strong work SwiZ

H

Great concept.

S

Thanks hiltiki.

A mixed bag of results with this weeks firing which included a bit of glaze experimenting including the centre and right skull which i think turned out great.

And these Tangata Manu's i had issues with in their first firing so i had to try to salvage them, and although they both still do have a couple of minor flaws (which you might not even notice unless i pointed them out), i'm very happy with the results.

The flower is there on this one to hide what is the worst of the problems i had (a section of the foot broke off) but even though the repair job i did was successful and not really that noticeable at all, the hibiscus completely covers it and also adds a whole new element to the piece which i think looks great and really makes it pop.

I have always loved this bird. You have done such an excellent sculpt and a hard one too. I'm impressed that you could make this work. Beautiful. Wendy

H

Now this is a beauty and I want one.

Me too! Nice job on the camouflage.

Outstanding

S

Thanks Wendy. This design certainly wasn't without any challenges and after all the time i had put into it i was determined to make it work.

Thanks hiltiki and bamalamalu. I'm not making many of these at all so if you are interested in one then message me and let me know.

==========================================================================

Recently i had a mug collapse in the mold but instead of scrapping it i thought i'd salvage the face and turned it into this. All these pics were taken outside and the second pic was taken as it was starting to get dark outside and the third when it was completely dark. Obviously in a room it's going to need some other ambient light around it to still be able to see the entire thing properly. I had no idea how well the blue light was going show but i'm pretty happy with the result.

swizzle now that's a happy collapse. It was meant to be. Did id collapse due to the glug glug factor? It took me about five Tiki Crate mugs before I learned the cause. Miss you, Wendy

H

Nice one.

Clean look

Nice save on the collapsed mug - makes for cool mood lighting!

LooOOvEE it!!

This is what I like to see new different type stuff.
Man if I had a kiln.

I would make tiki toilet paper covers, tiki tissue boxes, tiki candle sticks, tiki drink muddlers, tiki speaker stands, tiki book ends, tiki shelves, tiki lights, tiki cuff links, tiki bird feeders, tiki pots for plants, tiki plates platters, tiki cigarette holders, tiki buttons, tiki telephone, tiki bottle opener, tiki cap catcher for the tiki bottle opener, tiki ice bucket, tiki bucket for all that bar crap like spoons ect.

We all have mugs coming out our a$$.

Dam anything but more mugs.

PS I do like your mugs too.

H

Oooh, look at these beauties that I got.

And look at this beauty I got!

Sometimes it pays to ask (or: sometimes when you ask, you get to pay! :) ) The cost of shipping from Australia? Worth every penny!

This baby arrived a few days ago and I couldn't be happier.

S

Thanks for the comments everyone and thanks for the photos hiltiki and bamalamalu.

==================================================================================

Here's my latest mug for one of my most favourite bars here in Melbourne, the Gin Palace, and the drink for this mug will be their gin zombie which is awesome. I'm working on some test glazes at the moment however it will most likely be purple inside and out as that's the bars colour along with gold which i'm going to try to incorporate into it somehow but we'll see.

This is the carving it is based on, found outside the tourism office in Papeete, Tahiti.

Yo SwiZ
That’s awesome
Makes me want to visit Tahiti and the Gin Palace
He came out great
Can’t wait to see the colors bring him to life

Cheers

H

Your work is always unique and perfectly executed, great job.

I love the design! I can't wait to see how you choose to glaze them.

S

Thanks for the comments hang10, Hilda and Pidders.

I did a small glaze firing not long after my last post but only these two mugs turned out ok. The others have been touched up and are back in the kiln (along with several other 1/1's) waiting for me to fill it with the mugs that will be going to the bar. Just waiting for some better weather so i can get outside and spray them.

Keeping this one for myself.

Gave this one to the manager of the bar, who requested the mugs, as a gift. First time i've used that gold glaze and i'm really loving it.

And here's a new design i whipped up within a week (not including waiting time for the mold to dry). I came up with the idea and then drew it up, sculpted it and made the mold in about 5 days. Can't see that ever happening again. :lol: Certainly not the most practical shape for cocktails but i seem to making a habit of designing mugs like that.

This is the first one from the mold and still needs to be bisque fired. I'm looking forward to playing around with this design and adding various embellishments.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2018 3:04 AM

Good stuff. GROG like.

The Moai came out great
Kool colors sir

Like the new design too:
The SwiZ Hook

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-03-18 07:40 ]

You are such a great artist. Those are both wonderful accomplishments as is the bird. I'm so happy to see you posting and sharing. I really enjoy seeing what you are up too. Wendy

I'm loving all of your work, but the new design is stunning! I see essences of a hook, flowers, dolphins and a lot of other things. IMO that is the essence of great art. Thanks for letting us see it!

That hook mug is awesome and very original!

Love both!

Love both!

S

Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

============================================

Here's the first run of custom versions of the Gin Palace moai. A few of these were fired with those pictured in my previous post but had be touched up because of some glaze flaws but thankfully the issues were fixed.

All of these have sold except for this first one pictured. Send me a message if you'd be interested in it.

And this is the final colour for the mugs that will be used in the bar. I actually mixed a blue and red glaze to get this purple and there are a few that are a slightly different shade but the bar preferred this version. This glaze has given me a lot of grief with everything needing to be fired twice and then some still needing to be fired again. Hopefully they'll work after a third firing.

Fish hooks will be bisque fired in the next day or two and then i'm just waiting for some glaze to arrive so i can get started on them.

Cheers
swizzle

SwiZ- awesome
Love that color
Now, just have to get to the bar
:)

H

Great color and design.

Absolutely killing it, Swiz - those are fantastic. That gold glaze one for the manager is a stunner.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2018 5:26 AM

Gin palace mugs are looking great Swiz, great to see you still knocking out nice work.

Dan has stopped collecting and is just enjoying what he has so it's really hard to see you making such wonderful mugs. You are a wonderful ceramic artist. Wendy

S

Thank you to those of you above who like my work enough to take the time to comment. It is much appreciated.

===============================================================================

Last night Kustom Lane gallery here in Melbourne had the opening for their Big Kahuna Tiki Art Exhibition showcasing the work of 21 Australian and international artists. Here are the pieces that i submitted. Happy to say that 2 of the 3 pieces have sold. The wall hanging with the shells sold prior to the event and that's not the best photo unfortunately. That's actually a crackle glaze.

These are just variations of the piece i posted not to long ago but without the added light.

And a Witco style hibiscus which received a lot of great feedback on social media. I'll definitely have to make some more of these.

A pic from the gallery.

Cheers
swiz

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 455 replies