Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

so what (if any) brands of beer are Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

drinking a Red Horse beer right now...

MN

Pure Hoppyness, Pliny the Younger & Sculpin? :)

No! There is no beer that is tiki. However, the beers discussed are usually Primo, Hinano and beers made by Kona Brewing Co. & Maui Brewing Co.
Erik the Red

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-02-10 06:19 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 9:08 PM

If anything it would be Primo or Longboard (Island Lager). Really though, Tiki = lounge culture and lounge culture = mixed cocktails.

IMHO, a gin martini is more "Tiki" than a beer is.

Yes, IF a beer could be Tiki, Primo and Hinano...

....and:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37080&forum=10

W
Weitz posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 10:53 PM

I spent a whole nine weeks in Mo'orea drinking only Hinano, as it was the only thing available (besides Tabu beer, which is more expensive, rarer, and had a tiki on the bottle). Let me tell you, you get sick of that beer. It's like a watery, shitty lager after it being the only cheap alcohol available.
bleeeghgh.
The cool thing is that on Tahiti/Moorea, you can buy in bulk in returnable deposit bottles.

Tiki Beer, really??
Ok.... I guess I'd have to say Primo.

I did find something though..

G

I know beer isn't really tiki but I drank mostly PBR at the bar that introduced me to tiki.

gabbahey

P

Mahina from Rapa Nui has a moai on the label.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2011-02-10 09:29 ]

I've always daydreamed that if I ever ran a tiki bar, the beer selections would be the bottled Kona line, the canned Maui line, and then just Primo on tap.

On 2011-02-09 20:58, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

A wee bit of a hijack here: how does someone from San Diego know about Pliny the Younger? People up here go nuts for it's once a year release (last Friday).

Anyhow, I think of generic asian/indo lagers like Bintang.

MMMMMmmmmmmm....... Beeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, was the question who wants a beer? I'll take a cold one please.

On 2011-02-10 09:58, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

On 2011-02-09 20:58, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

A wee bit of a hijack here: how does someone from San Diego know about Pliny the Younger? People up here go nuts for it's once a year release (last Friday).

Anyhow, I think of generic asian/indo lagers like Bintang.

Russian River distributes Pliny all over the country... Damnation, too... and Temptation, Consecration, a couple others.

I can get them easily here in Denver, but I miss Santa Rosa. Not only for Russian River, but also that restaurant Flavor, with all the Moonlight beers on tap. Damn, I miss Moonlight beer. And then, of course the Sweet Spot with all the Lagunitas on tap, Third Street Aleworks, Bear Republic up in Healdsburg... oh great, now I'm gettin' all homesick. Thanks a lot.

I'm gonna go downtown this afternoon to Great Divide and drown my sorrows.

A

Not tiki, but Karl Strauss has some surf-themed beers:

http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Brews/OurBeer/Start.html

speaking of Asian/Indo lagers, here's one my neighborhood chinese grocery used to carry, could be Tiki:

On 2011-02-10 09:58, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

Drive on down Jingleheimer. A cask gets tapped Sat. @ 4pm! Drooool!! :) :P

On 2011-02-10 13:01, arriano wrote:
Not tiki, but Karl Strauss has some surf-themed beers:

http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Brews/OurBeer/Start.html

trying to mix surf n tiki,
your really pushing things around here.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

o.k., no idea what brand, but the tap looks good.
I'll take it.

Mahalo,
HT

Russian River distributes Pliny all over the country... Damnation, too... and Temptation, Consecration, a couple others.

I can get them easily here in Denver, but I miss Santa Rosa. Not only for Russian River, but also that restaurant Flavor, with all the Moonlight beers on tap. Damn, I miss Moonlight beer. And then, of course the Sweet Spot with all the Lagunitas on tap, Third Street Aleworks, Bear Republic up in Healdsburg... oh great, now I'm gettin' all homesick. Thanks a lot.

I'm gonna go downtown this afternoon to Great Divide and drown my sorrows.

I had no idea that they distributed that far; Good for them. Moonlight's Death and Taxes is by far my favorite beer. It's been really fun to be a short bike ride from all of these great beer dispensaries. : ) Anyhow, if you're ever back in Santa Rosa....

Drive on down Jingleheimer. A cask gets tapped Sat. @ 4pm! Drooool!! :) :P

Woo hoo! Let me grab my board, too!

I rode my bike by the brewery on Thursday and there was still a line outside. Grrrr. Last year, everyone filled up growlers and the beer was gone within seconds. Apparently, some folks were selling them on ebay. Only pints this year.

Good thing I stopped by Falling Rock last night and learned that the Younger will be making it's appearance some time next week. WOO-HOO.

And, I kinda mis-spoke earlier about being able to "easily" get the Pliny... at that point, I had read the initial post too fast and thought you were talking about the Elder, which is really easy to get around here. The Younger, though, of course, is available for only about the half hour it's on before it's all sucked dry. Or sooner. Last year, FR's two kegs blew in a whopping 20 minutes. Craziness.

while not Tiki, I'm fond of Kona's beers. They're Hawaiian, like Primo.
http://www.konabrewingco.com/

W

San Miguel,because it goes with a Pacific island lifestyle. Especially on days you're out of Tanduay.

Did you say San Miguel? Featured here at the Willows Restaurant in Hawaii.

And, they had there own Beer Lounge at the New York World's Fair

DC

and, bringing things full circle, I am drinking another Red Horse (7% abv), which is brewed in the Philippines by San Miguel...

W

Now it's official: San Miguel is the Official Imported Beer of Tiki(R). That's a great little ad, where did you find it?

Now to find the Official Domestic Beer of Tiki(R).

No longer available, unfortunately...

CN

Sometimes I think it is where and how the beer is served that can make it Tiki. Take Schlitz for instance, not a Tiki beer in any-body's eyes. But, when served like this, it evokes a certain South Sea splendor.

Or Miller, you know, the High Life. When served by a young pretty urbanite with a backdrop of PNG primitive art it screams TIKI!

DC

DC, I was thinking about the "Champagne of Beers" & Schlitz. Those are the beers from the era of when tiki was booming. I would love to know what regional beers were served in old tiki establishment. Like Minhas for instance. I wonder if The Fireside serve Minhas.
Erik the Red

Or Miller, you know, the High Life. When served by a young pretty urbanite with a backdrop of PNG primitive art it screams TIKI!

DC

Actually, that carving looks like a Kanak doorpost carving from New Caledonia. Apart from the bright red paint, it looks authentic too. Great find!

CN

NEW MAUI BEER ALERT
Yesterday, at Freshcraft in Denver, I had the newest addition to the Maui canned line.
It is called Mana Wheat, and if ever there were a tiki beer, this is it.
Low-hopped, crisp and clean wheat beer brewed with MAUI GOLD PINEAPPLES.
Delicious.
I was reading up on it and it says it's been around since 2009, but this is the first time I've seen or heard of the cans here on the mainland.

Hmm. I've seen it a few times lately but have been afraid to try it - I feel like it could either be really good or really awful (I expected to like the Kona Wailua Wheat with passion fruit, but thought it was vile.) Now that's been declared delicious, I'll have to give it a try.

Yeah, that Kona wheat is pretty awful.
This, though, is really tasty.
Nice and quenching.
Can't wait to have it on a hot summer day.

I think the Kona here out East is actually brewed in New Hampshire or somesuch.

G

What beer is tiki? That one on the left.

From the Milton Brewery in Cambridge, UK.

less than 4% abv?! that ain't beer, that's tea!

A few more Tahitian beer entries with some nice labels.

DC

saw some Primo Island Lager in a hole in the wall beer shop this morning, was going to try it but saw that it was brewed in california (not Hawaii), so took a pass.

For drinking your Tiki beer....

DC

G

Short,Simple Answer: None
Alternate(conflicting/contradictory/controversial)Answer...
http://www.heavytaste.com/2011/03/maui-coconut-porter.html

A

Came across information for these beers today:

http://www.butchersbrewing.com/#brews-tab

Not sure what a "Hawaiian Style Pale Ale" is supposed to be, and I'm afraid to know how pork is involved.

S

san moo has my vote as one.....plus there was a good market for US beer in the PTO given how much was shipped in during ww2 for use by our guys....i think at one point the island of Mog Mog, a large R&R spot, had the largest pile of empty bottles and cans in the world....so Miller or Schlitz would not be out of the question..as has been stated, i think it's more the surroundings than the beer..

[ Edited by: savoy6 2011-07-03 01:01 ]

saw this in Surf Guitar 101 tonight,

not tiki but surf

http://swellbeer.com.au/

Maybe not Tiki, but I just came from BevMo & this year's batch of Kona Koko Brown is out!

saw this in the liquor store today, from OBP:

another possible entry, beers from Cocoa Beach Brewing Co.:

On 2012-01-13 18:21, bamalamalu wrote:
Maybe not Tiki, but I just came from BevMo & this year's batch of Kona Koko Brown is out!

I'm drinking one right now. Pretty good! The toasted coconut aftertaste is nice.

Pages: 1 2 94 replies