Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Waikiki, Washington, DC (restaurant)

Pages: 1 4 replies

Name:The Waikiki
Type:restaurant
Street:14 F St NW
City:Washington
State:DC
Zip:20001
Phone:

Description:
Initial Date of Registration: 2/4/1959
became one of the D.C. locations of the Luau Hut http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32449&forum=2

source of iconic marked tiki mugs (thanks Beachbumz)

matchbook courtesy Dustycajun

more threads: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29780&forum=1

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2011-02-17 20:21 ]

T

Here's some detailed pictures of the Waikiki Tiki mug with all the original cold paint still intact.

[ Edited by: Tattoo 2012-11-12 10:00 ]

T

A business card...

There sure doesn't seem to be much info from this place. I would love to see a menu or postcard or just any pictures. This seems to be a very mysterious place to me.

Tattoo,

So, you got that business card, nice!

Here is a better scan of the matchbook.

A mystery indeed

DC

all we know so far is what is in the luau hut thread:

On 2010-07-31 06:33, LuauHut wrote:

On 2010-06-04 13:50, Dustycajun wrote:
I was doing a little research on the internet came across this fuzzy picture of a matchbook from the Waikiki restaurant located in Washington DC. The matchbook has the same lettering used on the two custom mugs also from the Waikiki.

The location listed for the Waikiki is 14 F Street NW, which is the same location as the second Luau Hut restaurant!

Or Got Rum posted that Waikiki business license was initiated in 1959, so the Waikiki must have preceded the Luau Hut. Maybe Moon Kim's daughter (LuauHut) can provide some info on this development.

DC

Here's what I was able to find out: the Waikiki restaurant occupied the same F Street bldg just before it was purchased for the second Luau Hut. A lot of the furnishings from the Waikiki were re-used, but also a lot of changes and additions were made to give it the Luau Hut style.

You guys do amazing research!

Pages: 1 4 replies