Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Moai Madness Tonga Hut art show July 9th--thanks for coming

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies

Ooooh! That's a great idea!

L

Looking forward to what will be my first of hopefully many opportunities to show some of my paintings and be a part of such a cool group of artists at the beloved Tonga Hut.
Moai Madness!!!
8"x16"
acrylic paint on canvas
http://www.amy-swenson.com/tiki-themes-for-sale.php

Amy.(Lushgirl)

That is a great looking piece of art. Always good to se some new people representing the tiki nation.

W

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2011 10:52 AM

That loks great, Amy. We're looking forward to having your art in the show.

Artists, you only have three more weeks before the show, so get you butts going on your art if you're going to finish in time for July 9. We'll also be doing the online art show again the day after (July 10) for you out-of-towners and anybody else who wants to show off their Moai art.

Here's mine

'Moai Fink'
Acrylic on found board.

Hope you like.

Lots of good stuff there. You guys and gals have mucho talent.
Here is a project I am working on, Hut Lamp. Added my tiny Moai
with his bigbro. Have fun.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2011 12:33 PM

Yay! Starting to see some nice art. Gonna be a good show.

On 2011-06-26, The Tiki Central Times reported:

Grand Member Charged with Depiction of a Moai in an Unstoic-like Manner –
Fraternal Order of Moai Vows to Retaliate

Tiki Central member MadDog Mike of “15 miles from Mexico, 60 miles from Arizona, and 100 feet from Hell” has been indicted for his portrayal of a drunken Moai with his mug entitled “Party Like It’s 1399”. MadDog states he was inspired by the similarities between the Moai topknot and a lampshade, he further stated “Somebody had to do it, might as well be me”. The mug was created for GROG’s upcoming Moai Madness show, authorities refused to comment when asked if GROG would be charged as a co-conspirator…

Got some cleanup to do as it dries (funny how you notice the flaws more in the photos than you do in real life). I should be able to get it dried and glazed in time for the online show July 10th.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 25, 2011 5:15 PM

GROG plead the 5th. If worse come to worse, GROG turn state's evidence on MadDoggy.

Awesome mug idea. You're right, somebody had to do it.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-06-25 17:16 ]

On 2011-06-21 19:15, Matt Reese wrote:
Here's mine

'Moai Fink'
Acrylic on found board.

Hope you like.

I DIGG IT!

MDM you are just too cute and so is your moai. Wendy

Everyone's art looks great! Looking forward to this event!
Here's my lantern. A different Moai image on each side.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2011 9:10 AM

Excellent job, Krisdrama.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2011 4:26 PM

Moai's Birth by GROG for the Moai Madness art show July 9th at the Tonga Hut. Hopefully not too many rocks will blow off the mug when GROG fire it.

Terrific art showing up on this thread. Grog you are the master Moai maker. The lantern is super cool. All the paintings and drawing just inspired me to get to work. I can use my right hand for painting but not clay so I with the bowl finished I'm now working on this painting. Robb Hamel, HELP! Wendy

Looks fun! Are there any spots left open?

Done. Wendy

Looks like a fun show! Wish I could be there in person....

I'll be listing these 2 painting in the online sale:

Sunset Moai and Maoi Ukulele

T

Stuff's looking great for the show. I should be able to post some sneak peeks of my piece later this week.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 10:50 PM

Progress shots from today. Did a "slab-built" Moai Mug. You roll the clay flat, cut out the pieces and then attach them all together. (Easier said then done)

Some pieces put together.

Starting to look like a Moai.

On go the ears.

Added the nose, and decided to leave off the mouth and nostrils, because GROG like the simplicity of the form.

It's all about the "lines" of the form.
[

Cleaned up and finished. Now hopefully it will make it through the firing without blowing up or cracking.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-06-28 01:35 ]

L

That's beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person!

L

I love seeing all the pictures being posted, they're so inspiring! great job everyone!
here's my latest...
Vintage Moai Mug
8"x16"
acrylic paint, straw and swizzle stick (stuck in pocket)on old Hawaiian shirt

Nice mug Grogster

Very cool Moai Mug Grog!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 7:26 PM

Thank you. GROG glad ya'll like it. It one of GROG favorite hand-built mugs GROG make so far. GROG really like the simplicity of form and the lines of it. Maybe it won't sell and GROG will get to keep it! More likely it'll crack in the kiln and GROG will HAVE to keep it.

Very cool art coming up here. LushGirl, I love yours - it would make an awesome shirt with a real swizzle in the pocket

Wow Grog, I really enjoyed seeing how you made the moai mug. What tool do you use for the inside seam of the last side?

I've done one more black velvet painting for the on-line show.

I'm really enjoying all the fine art on this thread. zerostreet we did night and day on Easter Island. How Fun, Wendy

Wendy! Yes, very cool work! The little guy you painted on the shirt there reminded me that I forgot about another Moai painting I have! This one will be up for sale as well.

Still touching this one up. zerostreet he has such personality. Wendy

That's great Wendy, made me smile. Obviously aliens also had an influence on the art of the Marquesans

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 30, 2011 11:27 AM

!

That is so super freakin unreal how you can make my painting smile. I just love it.
I'm glad everyone got the meaning. The moai has the same color eyes but it doesn't show up here. Thank you Grog it's a joy to see what you can do.

MadDogMike, yep the islanders were just making monuments to their friends from the sky. Cheers, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 12:23 AM

Little Photoshop piece GROG did months ago just fooling around. Wanted it to kind of look like paint by number art. Drawn with a mouse. (GROG really need to hook up GROG' Cintiq!)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-07-01 00:29 ]

I can't get my mouse to move that steady. You have amazing control, that's a great picture. Hugs, Wendy

GROG you are indeed the mouse master!

Mike,

It's all in his evil plan to conquer the world.

Bear

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 9:04 PM

It's good to have a friend named "BEN".

Well, then GROG should be okay... Unless GROG lets SOCRATES get beaten to death, gets a girlfriend, and tries to get rid of all his rodent pals. BEN wouldn't like that.

Bear

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2011-07-01 23:12 ]

T

Awesome artwork going on here! I miss the Tonga Hut and am looking forward to this! Grog, can I hang you're artwork for you! Ha ha! Poor Grog always taking care of everyone! I'm bringing a tar ball I found on the beach that looks exactly like a moai. Also a rusty tin can and piece of driftwood that look like moai I found on beach. Not sure if I should bring the toast with the burnt image of moai on it? Also, I have a grain of sand that when looked at through my special bamboo microscope, it looks just like moai... no tricks or nothing!

My last painting for the show. This has been a really fun ride. Grog's comedy adds so much, thank you, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2011 9:31 PM

Tony, leave the toast (or eat it), but the tar ball, tin can and driftwood sound pretty interesting. GROG looking forward to seeing those. :wink:

[ Edited by: grog 2011-07-04 12:02 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2011 9:31 PM

And nice job there, Wendy.

Thank you Grog, each one has taught me something. The show will be fun wish I could be there. Having an on-line show makes my day...July 10th is almost here,
Wendy

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2011 2:07 AM

Artists (and anybody else who'd like to help), be sure and help promote the show on Facebook, Myspace, your blog, and or website. Tell people at work. Invite your friends and tell them to invite their friends.

Here's the flier:

G

Here are the pieces I will be putting up at the big event.

This guy is a lamp.

Here is a rustic carving.

See you all at the hut.

L

On 2011-06-26 08:32, Krisdrama wrote:
Everyone's art looks great! Looking forward to this event!
Here's my lantern. A different Moai image on each side.

I keep going back to the picture of this lamp, can't wait to see it in person!

L

On 2011-06-28 21:21, MadDogMike wrote:
Very cool art coming up here. LushGirl, I love yours - it would make an awesome shirt with a real swizzle in the pocket

Thanks MadDogMike, if you bring me a shirt I'd be happy to paint one on it for you

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies