Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

My first Tiki from Yorkshire England

Pages: 1 44 replies

This is my first attempt at carving my own Tiki, it took me over 4 weeks using only chisels, the wood used is pine.

It stands around 4-5ft and will guard the entrance to my forth coming Tiki bar/Surf bar to be built in my shed.

I look forward to your comments.

I am already planning my next design and can't wait to get started.

All the best Tiki Steve!

M

First?

Welcome to TC Steve. Thats an awesome first carve my friend.

Tiki Bar should be interesting as well.

Thanks for sharing and welcome again.

Mahalo

McTiki

M

Welcome aboard and that's a great first carving,well planned out, good carving,burned nicely,love the grain. Good job, dude.

That's terrific. If you have step by step photos you should open a thread on the carving page. Then all the carvers will write you lots of messages. I did my first wooden tiki last year and it was fun to read the comments. Did you use a blow tourch to darken the deep areas? Wendy

Cheers guys!

I've added further photos of my work in progress on the Tiki carving post!

!

lovely!

That's your FIRST attempt?
Dude, that's REALLY good!
Well done!

Where in Yorkshire are you Steve?

I'm down in South Yorkshire - Sheffield to be exact...

Cheers,

Joe.

Z

That is brilliant...especialy for a first time!
~Zero

Just finished my latest carving!

I found a very dry Sycamore stump and decided to carve an Easter Island head.

Photos to be added shortly as it is now finished with mahoganny stain and wax finish.

DUM DUM!

Z

brilliant!

My second Tiki finished with Mahogany stain & waxed.

My wood carvings so far!

Z

That shade of stain is perfect. Nicely done!
~Zero

they both look awesome! very impressive for your first carvings :)

Beautiful finish on the Moai. I like the way the wood grain shows up in the tiki smile- shows the depth of the cuts. Nice work all around!

That wood grain effect on the teeth of your first tiki is amazing. Excellent job on both!

HJ

Hip! Good looking Tiki and Moai.

Yours was inspiring; am in process of drying a couple pieces of pine to try first Tiki carving, this winter.

[ Edited by: bananamansl 2011-12-11 02:18 ]

20CM Maoi for my Tiki Bar!

Not yet sanded or stained.

Considering painting it in fluorescent paint to glow up under my black light.

Named 'Gabe' after Sylvester Stalone in Cliffhanger.

Carved with palm chisels, finished with Oak wood stain.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2013 3:26 PM

Good stuff. GROG like.

H

Very nice I like it too.

That was your first? Wow! It is great! How I wish I could do that great on my first tiki too.

My brother and I were planning to make one. We want to add it in our tropical inspired backyard. We already have some tiki torches in it which we have got last year from http://www.buytikitorches.com and we think having those tiki faces will add more beauty in our yard. Hope we can do as good as yours. :)

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - Fixed link - 2013-02-21 20:23 ]

Well, aint' you freakin' hip! Fine, fine work.

Tiki in England! You go, Dude!

My latest Tiki.

Sanded and oiled.

Good stuff

Jon

D

yo brah, nice work! I posted one of my latest carvings here and I have gotten a lot of recommendations to take it deeper! I am not excited about it but I broke out the chisels and have started to retool my entire carving.

I had an ideal for adding some tattoo style etcings to the face. I do have plenty of experience with refinishing furniture never with a wax finish, only stain and french polish. I don't want stain to absorb very deep I want it to sit on top so I can carve with exacto knife and show lighter grain below.
Could you take a second and tell me about the wax finish on ur moi? Looks fantastic
very nice satiny finish. Edges and curves get easily lost in gloss. I am quick study so only need the nuts and bolts of what to do to save typing. Thanks

D

yo brah, nice work! I posted one of my latest carvings here and I have gotten a lot of recommendations to take it deeper! I am not excited about it but I broke out the chisels and have started to retool my entire carving.

I had an ideal for adding some tattoo style etcings to the face. I do have plenty of experience with refinishing furniture never with a wax finish, only stain and french polish. I don't want stain to absorb very deep I want it to sit on top so I can carve with exacto knife and show lighter grain below.
Could you take a second and tell me about the wax finish on ur moi? Looks fantastic
very nice satiny finish. Edges and curves get easily lost in gloss. I am quick study so only need the nuts and bolts of what to do to save typing. Thanks

Dermdude,

I fine sanded the remaining chisel marks then coated the Moai with Mahogany wood stain. The wax finish was added with a lint free cloth, 2-3 coats then buffed. Unfortunately now riddled with wood worm! Cheers.

Really nice. And thats from a Lancastrian.

Thanks for the comments.

First carve of 2014! Almost finished.

P

I must ask what was the stain you used for that mahogany red? Brand and colour? It was your tikis that got me into carving my own, I'm using 1 inch dowel at the moment as I'm in a flat but next month I'll have a garden and shed to do he same size as yourself!

I used 'Colron Refined Wood Dye Deep Mahogany'. Finished with 'Colron Finishing Wax'. It's in quarantine at the moment getting treated for woodworm. Cheers.

P

Thanks dude, I'm using the same exsept I used the refined beeswax, I'm guessing that's where I went wrong, sorry to hear about your tiki

Now for the stain!

Impressed with my & Flexcut palm chisels.

Wooo that moai came out great

Working on a new Moai! It's been a while. Larger scale, so been using chainsaw, angle grinder, Flexcut Sculpting chisels! Good fun so far!

BB

Love the scowl!

Latest Moai sanded & ready for oiling! More pics to follow.

Finished!

Love your carving B man! And your surf bar! And that Australian fern tree is beautiful! I bought my dad 1 for his birthday a while back and be time I went home it was on the compost heap! He said it had died! I spied it under a bush on its side not long ago when I visited my parents! Wonder if I can bring it back to life!

Thanks for the comments! Tree Ferns are awesome. I've had 2 for the last 5 years. I live in Yorkshire UK so need to winter them from severe frost, other than this, seem hardy & have coped well. The key to success, is to water frequently(don't hold back) directly into the crown & apply some feed(if potted) once you start to get fronds in the Spring. Give them a chance to root(if potted), this can take some time, so ensure you stake them. Also, due to cost per ft, avoid burying too much of the base, if you sit them on top of the soil & stake them well, eventually the root ball will bind the soil & you can remove the stakes. Over the last couple of years I've noticed the crowns on both ferns have narrowed resulting in shorter thronds. This seems to be a common problem if they don't receive enough water during the year. Learn as you go! Good luck!

BS

Thanks for the advice. Il see how I get on! Hopefully it can be brought back from the dead! Fingers crossed!

Yes yes, very nice work! Love the reduction of form. Very cool.
J

Pages: 1 44 replies