Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Oceanic Arts on HGTV

Pages: 1 26 replies

I caught part of a show tonight that had 3 designers submit plans for a guys 50s/60s Tiki backyard makeover. Came out pretty good except I liked the A-frame Tiki bar design from the other designer. They made a trip to Oceanic Arts to pick out materials and supplies.....Anyone else see it? Will it be shown again?

M

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the show. But I did see the final result of the design work and it looked pretty nifty. I did notice that there were a couple of carved Bosko masks and a sign on the outside of the house. Also, portions of the bar were constructed from Bosko items. Lots of other nice touches but I would have preferred to see even more tiki. Wish I had seen the Oceanic Arts portion of the show. Please post if anyone hears of a repeat date.

ModMana :drink:

The show is called Landscapers Challenge. It was on twice yesterday. Usually at 5:00 p.m. west coast and again at 8:00 on the west coast. Showed a little of Oceanic Arts and the final looked good.

We're in luck. HGTV is rebroadcasting the show today and tomorrow.

Click Here For Showtime

BTW - the dude's got a budget of $20,000 to build this backyard tiki bar. If I had that kind of money to build a bar, I'd hire Chiki Tiki Diablo to carve all the tikis and Bamboo Ben to build the bar!

Here's an Episode Summary -- Where did all the money go?

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-30 08:51 ]

I bet most of that budget went into resurfacing the concrete around the pool and the pool itself! I looked into the same type of work for my pool area, quotes were like this: Concrete deck texture & staining - $7350; plaster pool resurfacing - $6500!! I opted for $100 in concrete stain and a couple days of sweat equity... the pool will just have to wait a few more years.

I guess most of us TC'ers like the do-it-yourself approach, and $20k would go an extremely long way for us!

:tiki:

D

I liked the end results, especially the fire feature. But I really would have like to have seen the A frame hut done! Wasn't the lamp he ended up with, the same lamp that was being talked about here a few days ago?
I guess with a budget of 20G's, a 300 dollar lamp is nothing.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-30 10:06 ]

M

Hey, they should have called The JungleTrader!

And Bamboo Ben!

And Chiki!

And Al!

And...oh, nevermind. He'll never know how good it could have been.

Still, it's a LOT nicer than my backyard, so who am I to throw stones.

-martin

I didn't get to see the episode, but I was at Oceanic Arts yesterday and Bob was pretty intrigued with the project and the whole HGTV operation. They have a few articles and photos about the program at the front desk and they can give you the whole scoop on the project. Another fun reason to visit OA!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

It's funny, I have talked and talked about OA and how bad I want to go see the place, no one I know is interested or cared to go investigate with me, they couldn't have cared less about Oceanic Arts...yesterday, some friends of mine saw the Landscapers Challenge show on HGTV and all of a sudden they wanted to know why I have never mentioned this great and interesting placeto them. :roll:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-30 16:43 ]

E

On 2003-05-30 08:44, PolynesianPop wrote:
We're in luck. HGTV is rebroadcasting the show today and tomorrow.

Thanx for the heads-up PolyPop, I just snuck into the living room where Mrs. emspace and baby are snoozing and set up timer record just in time.

But yeah, it ain't that impressive for $20K. Gawd, what I could do with that...I do like the longboard as a bar though.

emspace.

T

I will have to try and catch it. I usually pass on that show, and watch extreme homes and house hunters. (keep waiting to see someone turned down). I unfortunately only caught the last minute of the show, and was hoping to catch the west coast feed later last night.

Any of you TC ers out there who have connections with HGTV or a similer show and get me on the air will get a free, portable, one of a kind, signed, Bamboo Ben tiki bar!

Hey Ben, just contact them at HGTV.com and then give me the bar. I'll be down to pick it up in 2 weeks. Thanks Ben, you're a swell guy.

It will be on again today!

June 01, 2003 1:30 PM EST

Cheers,

KT

I caught the show by accident; it was coming on TV just as I got home from work today.The house belonged to a guy named Doug Micheals----I wonder if he posts here? I've forgotten the designer's name---Jeff something, I think it started with a "B". The end result was pretty cool! Even my wife (who is not a tiki-phile) was impressed-----maybe there's hope for a home tiki bar afterall.....

I saw this episode on Thursday night. I thought that the garden and the lanscaping was really good but you can tell that the designer just did a basic research of tiki. One pufferfish lamp in the bar? Where's the clutter from the ceiling? I also thought that the surfboard bar top was a little cheesy too. Surfing really doesn't have anything to do with tiki. Overall though, I think the landscaping was the aspect that impressed me the most.

I love all of us critiquing this poor guy's house.

T

On 2003-06-01 14:30, Luckydesigns wrote:

...critiquing this poor guy's house.

When they're paying over 20 Grand to get the work do they aren't that poor.

I finally caught this episode today and I have to agree with Lucky-D. The landscaping and flagstone around the pool looked cool but the bar was sorely lacking. Absolutely no clutter and worse off -- no mana.

The back of the house was painted bright colors ala a Mexican Cantina (blue, green, orange, etc.) because the designer thought it would really make the place feel more Polynesian -- huh? I don't get that one!

Overall, it looked OK but I really think the 3rd designer who proposed the Thatch Roofed A-frame had the best proposal. His sketches hit the look right on the nose.

MB
Mrs. B posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2003 9:56 PM

Have to report, Bamboo Ben was so disgusted with the entire job, he could care less about the final "look" and/or "finished product." Didn't even care to watch the rest of the show.
"Idiots" I think he mumbled.
And, I have to agree. Some "designers" think they can jump into the scene and do an "oh so fantastic 'tiki' job," when in fact, they really don't know what the hell they are talking about....no roots here, no feeling, just a quick job...and lousy to boot.
I think Laney's photos rule over this pad...did you have 20k Laney?

Aloha!

MB

On 2003-05-30 11:50, DawnTiki wrote:
It's funny, I have talked and talked about OA and how bad I want to go see the place, no one I know is interested or cared to go investigate with me, they couldn't have cared less about Oceanic Arts...yesterday, some friends of mine saw the Landscapers Challenge show on HGTV and all of a sudden they wanted to know why I have never mentioned this great and interesting place

The "Bamboo Man" was there on Saturday and Bob was 50 people deep....one "blip" on a show always works....he said they haven't been that busy in 47 years. It was crazy at OA once again. I say, "All the power to them, they've earned it, they've worked it plenty!!!"
Cheers Bob and Leroy!!!
Alooooooha!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-30 16:43 ]

I agree Mrs. Boo, when I saw pictures of Laney's backyard, I thought it was better too. The way that the designer laid out and designed the grounds was very professional though. If you remove that from the 'tiki thing', and let someone who really knows what it's all about come in and do the bar and the tikis, it would be way more successful.

I could see how Ben would be pissed that they some how overlooked him for that job.

After reading all of the chat, I finally got to see the show. If you listen carefully you will hear tehm comment that the owner agreed to chip in extra "more than the original 20k" because of the tile in the pool. I thought that the guy was getting alot of work done for the 20k. The tiki hut was lacking, but hell "why not just keep adding stuff?" I don't think that the typical killer tiki bar was put together over night. Once all of the hardscape and plants are in, adding the tiki stuff is easy. That's just my opinion, of course. It looked to me like out of the 20K+ spent, maybe 3k was spent on the bar. I wanted to know where the killer totems that were on both ends of the bar, in original drawing were? I also thought that the use of fire was very cool,and I hope taht someday I will be able to have somethong like that.

I also happen to think that while surfing may not be tiki, it is the sport of Hawaiian Royalty, and that makes it cool in my book!

Cheers,

KT

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.