Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TIKISKIP : How to make tiki light, Lamp 101

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 205 replies

T

Got one more thing, these designer panels as they are sometimes called.

Found these lately and they had the info tag still on them.
might help one find these online or elsewhere one day.

These are great for making tiki lights.
I cut these plastic sheets with a Dremel round cut off disk.
This stuff cracks and breaks with ease so take care with them.

See them here....
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dremel+round+cut+off+disk&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY5Lv4s_rhAhUO7awKHaYCB7EQsxgILg&biw=1229&bih=578&dpr=1.56

You often see these in Witco lights.

T

Well this is cool...

170 plastic Decorator Panels in 19 groovy patterns — New Old Stock for sale in Austin
https://retrorenovation.com/2012/05/07/170-new-old-stock-plastic-decorator-panels-in-19-patterns-discovered-and-for-sale/

Those are really cool. Wish I could stumble on a find like that.

T

Yeah these are cool.
And I passed up like five or more of these, the ones that were so so colors.
This article says they are worth $150.00 to $200.00 bucks each.

Ya can't pay that and make lights from them.
Got an idea of how to use one of these.

This part is wild too....
: Yikes: In 1985, two brothers — who co-own the Manchester Products business with their mother — hire a killer to murder their parents… The “Ninja Murders.”]

On 2019-05-02 07:34, tikiskip wrote:
This part is wild too....
: Yikes: In 1985, two brothers — who co-own the Manchester Products business with their mother — hire a killer to murder their parents… The “Ninja Murders.”]

Interesting case. Even had a Made-For-TV movie done about it. "Bloodlines: Murder in the Family" The trials took over 10 years.

On 2019-05-01 06:14, tikiskip wrote:

You often see these in Witco lights.

Ha! We had a bunch of that stuff set into the walls of our deck (which was VERY rotted out) when we bought this house. Sadly it was too chalky and weathered to be of much use.
It's a pity that stuff is so expensive, the amberish one on the bottom would definitely make for some cool lamp panels

T

Here is my latest tiki lights, well two of them.

Mostly rehabs of old cool lights.

The first one needed cleaning and rewire.
This light can also be a St Patrick's day light too with a quick hat change.
Going to do this with all my lights now.

The second one came with no shade, thought I could find one on TC as there is a lot of shade here.
But found this awesome cork shade at the good ol thrift store.

It is so paper thin, the light shines through the spots where there is no cork, so cool.

I still need to find a few plate coral shells for the Mushrooms on the base.
I have seen one of these lamps with a HUGE coral shell as the lamp shade.
They can get very dirty and this one did not look good.

The second lamp is from the Mushroom lamp co
in Ohio.

AND it had one of those touch the base and the light goes on switches, this had a date of 1987 on it, man what fun I had back then in my 69" T- Bird.

T

Big plate coral like this.

H

Oh my DAYS - my missus would absolutely flip over one of those mushroom lamps. I need to see if I can secretly find one for her.

T

"I need to see if I can secretly find one for her."

See these a lot in Ohio but that might be cuz they were made here.
Passed on a really big one that was $50.00 bucks the shade was really dirty.

The one I showed here was not that pricy $10.00 bucks?
Put more than that into the fix up.

But you can find them cheap If you keep looking.

Find it odd that I don't see more natural lights made from things in nature in tiki bars.

Looks like the trend is going more towards plastic and cartoony type tiki lights and other tiki décor.

In the 50s 60s you would see lots of homemade type of stuff being made and even sold in Hawaii for souvenirs Shell lights and lights made of coconuts.

Have NEVER seen the Coconut type light in any tiki bars I have been to.

For me the natural stuff is where it's at.

T
T

Nice work - I can't decide whether that mushroom lamp is cool in a weird way, or weird in a cool way! :lol:

T

looks like it should smell like pot, kinda like a black velvet Rastafarian poster.

It's organic, all made from nature type $hit.
The 60s were more of that homemade dolt yourself from nature décor style.

The time when yer frig was Sun burst or avocado in color.

Not tiki in the truest since but would fit into your tiki bar right next to that Fezed Chimp.

T

On 2019-05-15 13:06, tikiskip wrote:
Not tiki in the truest since but would fit into your tiki bar right next to that Fezed Chimp.

Bahahah! Yes!

T

That should be truest sense Skip.
Spelling narc.

oh and Harvest gold that was the 60s color I was thinking about.

Ok so I have had two people just this week ask me about how to cover paint or use clear glass for a tiki bar light.

For me I don't buy or use clear glass, I tell ya I don't even buy glass that is flashed or painted with a color because it will come off or at best fade and scratch.
Since I am selling most of the lights I make I can't sell a light that at some point in time is going to have these problems.

Now plastic that is a colored plastic is fine as it will hold it's color over time, in fact I like plastic most of the time better than glass as it can be more sturdy than glass times.

It is easy to bump and break glass and if you cut a hole in glass it many times has small cracks that form in the cut area that over time become bigger cracks.

So what to do about clear glass, don't buy it, there are so many other choices that you really can avoid clear glass.

OR I have not tried any of this but covering the glass with a paper or tissue that is colored or even tapa might work.
Adding a colored light bulb after this might help as well you would need to do tests.

So good luck with the clear glass let us know if you find something that works.

Or make life easy and use stuff that just works with no problems from the start.

So I did look back and see that I did at one time do this..
These are tapa over clear glass.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Aug 27, 2019 8:54 PM

Great lights there, Skip. Do you remember how you affixed the tapa? Spray adhesive? Mod Podge?

T

Good ol Elmer's glue.
I buy it by the gallon.

Remember Tapa is wood really, just pounded really flat.
Don't know what to do with that tapa globe thing.

Tying it into a float would not work so well I think.

That tapa globe would be cool in a big shell like a pearl.

On 2019-08-22 10:01, tikiskip wrote:
Ok so I have had two people just this week ask me about how to cover paint or use clear glass for a tiki bar light.

For me I don't buy or use clear glass, I tell ya I don't even buy glass that is flashed or painted with a color because it will come off or at best fade and scratch.
Since I am selling most of the lights I make I can't sell a light that at some point in time is going to have these problems.

Now plastic that is a colored plastic is fine as it will hold it's color over time, in fact I like plastic most of the time better than glass as it can be more sturdy than glass times.

It is easy to bump and break glass and if you cut a hole in glass it many times has small cracks that form in the cut area that over time become bigger cracks.

So what to do about clear glass, don't buy it, there are so many other choices that you really can avoid clear glass.

OR I have not tried any of this but covering the glass with a paper or tissue that is colored or even tapa might work.
Adding a colored light bulb after this might help as well you would need to do tests.

So good luck with the clear glass let us know if you find something that works.

Or make life easy and use stuff that just works with no problems from the start.

Thanks for the “ADVICES” skip. I have painted clear glass before but it’s not easy and I ended up washing my last attempt off!
The most successful way I found was to warm up the glass and the paint then pour the paint inside the glass ball and keep turning it until you have it all covered! But then you must keep turning and keep turning until you have let enough excess run out so it will dry without policing but cover without running! It’s not an easy balancing act! I had never even thought about using plastic! So simple yet so effective! They is why you are the master builder skip! Keep up the good work.

RIP Franco Columbu

T

You know you got me thinking about those lights that have those little plastic beads glued on the whole surface that looks good in fact I have a very large float light from the Kahiki that is done that way.

It is my favorite Float light, well other than the Blowfish in a float light that's the top.

But really I pass on so many great globes or even the ones that are kinda in a diamond shape those are really cool.
But you can find really great items to make lights from why pick stuff that is a pain in the a$$.

Maybe we just have a better selection here than others do.

I should do a post on what I look for when looking for tiki light parts.
But then that is half of the battle.

Often times I do shy away from telling where I get some tiki light making supplies.

It's in my book though.
Along with mussing's about the wonderful tiki people I have met along the way.

How cool would it be to find an old book by Trader Vic saying what a dork Steve Crane was.

Good luck!

The plastic bead light things you mention? I have an inking what you mean! If it’s the same I think I made my first ever float light out of a battery operated 1 when I built my first tiki bar back in Cyprus! Il post a pic if I get a chance. You say you have a book skip???? I would be interested to know more about this!

T

Ha!
It's a one of a kind that will be found long after I'm dead in about two years.
So nothing in print.
I have a book with all of my past sales, ideas, how too, with guides for how to tie floats that sort of thing, and places where I get my stuff.

On 2019-09-16 16:41, tikiskip wrote:
Ha!
It's a one of a kind that will be found long after I'm dead in about two years.
So nothing in print.
I have a book with all of my past sales, ideas, how too, with guides for how to tie floats that sort of thing, and places where I get my stuff.

I seriously think you could publish a book! I would certainly be interested in owing it! I think it could be up there with the must have tiki classics like svens books and smugglers cove!

T

Well thank you for that, I would need Grog to spell and grammar check for me.

I do have a lot of things I have learned over the years that I would like to show somebody before I hit The "Dead Thread"

Even have a small how to on the Franks cane and rush website on how to bend rattan I think it was.
Damn my way is better than the way they had, didn't even show them the good stuff.

I do get a lot of PMs with questions, some of them from people who make and sell lights!
Like more lights than I do, how stupid is that.

Going to start giving advice and the free stuff to people who in the past have supported me, after sending something to a guy who I get the felling does not, I'm a sucker that way.

Try to give away a few lights every year to people around the globe, it is also a way to get my lights seen in other parts of the world and a good will type of thing.

They are my small ones, but damn the shipping these days.

Thanks again, do show any lights you make.

Sure thing skip. Iv been hitting charity shops this week in Manchester buying up any coloured glass I can find and think will make a good light! I think I’m going to have to borrow some inspiration from yourself! Il let you know how it goes!

T

Saw you were having problems posting pics BIG SMOOTH , hope you fix that so we can see what you make.

And just saw a reference to this Facebook tiki light making group online.
Some cool stuff and good ideas on there so check it out.
Am not a member of that group mostly because I don't do Facebook, too bad as I see a lot of unanswered questions that I could help with.

Many times the answer is....
Franks cane and rush.
lots of the time light makers don't want you to know the suppliers of tiki light making stuff and the names of said stuff.

Posting a link here so I don't forget about it.

Facebook tiki light making group....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/322135038215217/

Oh cool thanks skip. Yes I’m Having trouble with pics! I only really use my phone! I would like to post some pics. I got quite a good haul of stuff while I was home in Manchester! And I managed to get some rope off a ship wreck I found in Loch Ness up in Scotland! I’d love to incorporate it in to a lamp! My tiki bar is pretty small with a low roof so I can only really make small lifts to go in it! Oh I managed to get a really cool small vintage Japanese fish trap that I plan to make a light out off! Hopefully il be able to post some pics at some point!

Ok so with some help from Hamo Iv finally figured out how to post pictures from my iPhone! Not the easiest! But I think Iv got It!

Still can’t get the orientation rite!! Must try harder!
But that is a foot I netted the other night.

T

Looks like you have four loops on the bottom ring, when your squares start stretching and getting wide like you have here you need more of those loops at the bottom, I would say like at least ten for a 1 inch square.

Not bad for yer first one though.

Thanx for posting

On 2019-09-24 15:35, tikiskip wrote:
Looks like you have four loops on the bottom ring, when your squares start stretching and getting wide like you have here you need more of those loops at the bottom, I would say like at least ten for a 1 inch square.

Not bad for yer first one though.

Thanx for posting

Thanks skip. It was quite a thick Fibrous string and it was late at night so I just went with 4 lines off the bottom loop. And I actually tied small bits of twine around cross sections rather than knot it! But I have a lot so to do som I’m sure I’m get better! As they say practice makes perfect!

On 2019-09-16 03:47, tikiskip wrote:
You know you got me thinking about those lights that have those little plastic beads glued on the whole surface that looks good in fact I have a very large float light from the Kahiki that is done that way.

It is my favorite Float light, well other than the Blowfish in a float light that's the top.

But really I pass on so many great globes or even the ones that are kinda in a diamond shape those are really cool.
But you can find really great items to make lights from why pick stuff that is a pain in the a$$.

Maybe we just have a better selection here than others do.

I should do a post on what I look for when looking for tiki light parts.
But then that is half of the battle.

Often times I do shy away from telling where I get some tiki light making supplies.

It's in my book though.
Along with mussing's about the wonderful tiki people I have met along the way.

How cool would it be to find an old book by Trader Vic saying what a dork Steve Crane was.

Good luck!

Hey skip is this the sort of thing you meant?

T

Yes, yes that's it.
Did you tie those?

Looks great!

Yes I made that a few years back when I lived in Cyprus. I think it cost like a euro! It’s about the size of a softball and runs off 3 watch battery’s and changes colour. Wish I had bought more!

T

Been some time since I have made a new light.
Got a new computer and damn why do they need to totally change EVERYTHING and the way things work.
The changes most of the time are not better and mostly involve them shoving there brand name crap programs at us.

Here are two new ones and some of the tool of the trade as I see it.

Almost done just need to do some rope work on the one light.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2019-10-12 16:20 ]

Ok rope work done.
I needed to make a way to close the round light so I made three looped rope closers and added Wangi bamboo posts to hook onto.
This light is really easy to get into to change the light, only three loops to undo and your in.
The bottom ropes are for looks only.

It has a few tapa accents on it inside and out and comes with a chain and pulley on the end.
Will adjust the chain to the size need for the bar it goes to if instructed to do so.
C7 Christmas type light bulb and has a paper lining that lets the light filter through the many gaps in the rattan weaving and has a soft low light glow.

Never seen a light like this, it is made from an old rattan box I found long ago.

This round light reminds me of a box that a Headhunter might use to carry his prized trophy head in.

The Headhunter trophy box light.....

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2019-10-15 11:12 ]

C
cy posted on Wed, Oct 16, 2019 8:41 AM

Looks great skip, I'm happy to see you are making new lights!

Superb work skip! Love your work as always! You can really see how much effort you put in to your lamps! Glad to see some new stuff from you looking to seeing more.

BB

Very cool!

T

Thank you everybody.

So I said two lights and here is number two.
It is a basket light with a c7 Christmas type bulb.
This one also has Tapa inside and out.

This light also comes with an adjustable chain and a pully on the end it too can be adjusted to the needs of your bar.

Since this thread is called "TIKISKIP : How to make tiki light, Lamp 101"
I could have put it into my lights thread, "Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light"
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18485&forum=18&893
Where I put all my lights I have made and done repairs on.

BUT here's the lesson part, on these lights after fixing many over the years I have found that they can be very fragile as they are really made of paper and thin rattan or bamboo.

SOOO to fix this fragility a bit I add white glue, shellac, and even clear spray coatings.
This not only helps give these lights an old look but it also gives them strength.
You also get a lot more of a water resistant light.

Resistant, not water proof.
But even in damp places like a basement or outdoor building you get moisture in the air, this helps against that.

So here it is....

Tiki bar basket light.

*•..(¯•..¤(¯*•.(¯•..¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤..•*´¯)

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Let Tikiskip light up your Halloween¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

That's lovely, Skip!

Damn fine creations Skip. I took your advise on using amber shellac many years ago for my projects. My miniature huts are made of paper, card stock and many many tiny pieces of bamboo. Not the sturdiest building materials for sure. The amber shellac not only gives the work a warm vintage glow but locks everything up tight as a drum. I haven’t made anything in a long time but your thread always inspires. Maybe I’ll get the urge to build again when I’m snowed in this winter. Keep the pics and tips coming!

Here’s one of my mini huts.

T

Damn those are so cool.
I always wanted to send you a small tied float for the point of the roof.

So did you ever think of flaming those shingles on the edges.
That too would give a variation of color that would make those pop I think.

Have also used watercolor paints to give some color to the edges of tiki things too, at times a combo of burn and water color works.

You need to do tests.

Your huts look great!

Make more.

"There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember uncle trav, time is short, and suddenly, you're not here anymore."

Sound advice skip! I get most of my lamp making tips from you. Love the basket light! I only wish my bar were bigger and the roof were higher so I could fill it with lights! Keep building mate love seeing your work.

T

Thank you!

"I only wish my bar were bigger and the roof were higher so I could fill it with lights!"

In that case you need to use the corners and put lights there as they won't hit yer head.
Plus what about Sconce lights on the walls.
Up lights on your tiki, and even behind your tiki.

Or even picture lights on your tiki art.

The two questions I get is do you have a large float light.
And I have low ceilings and need small lights so they don't get in the way.
This is why I make a lot of small and mid size lights.

That and shipping costs.

Tiki bars have to have a bunch of lights.

Good luck with your bar.

Thanks skip. I’m in the process of making lamps at the moment! I think Iv finally cracked the whole paining glass thing! And cracked some glass in the process! I mixed food colouring with PVA glue! pour it inside what you want to paint then swirl it round and let the excess drain out! Then put your glass in the oven. I found an amazing vase that would have made a perfect ships lantern type light! But it was clear! So I painted it red. The colour was perfect, the level of tint was spot on! So I put it in the oven and it cracked! Absolutely ruined! I persevered and managed to paint some jars! So Trial and error must Prevail! Some turned out ok! Il see how it goes!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 205 replies