Name:Aloha
Type:restaurant
Street:3727 SW 8th Street
City:Coral Gables
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The obscure Tiki establishment for today is the Aloha Restaurant located in Coral Gables, Florida. All I have to go on are images of this old matchbook I clipped years ago.

Great volcano art. I like the pineapple eyes too.

Another research job for our Florida field agent Tiki Tom D

DC

T

DC, here's a finding to place the Aloha in time...

The Miami News June 15, 1958

-Tom

T

The news archives I could locate on the Aloha Restaurant span from early 1958 to the middle of 1965. The exotic graphics of the matchbook cover beckon, but if you expected tiki drinks to go with that Polynesian pu-pu platter, you'd be sorely disappointed, as this place apparently did not have a liquor license. In fact, the earliest archival record I could find indicates that city officials voted to deny the Aloha even a beer and wine license...

The Miami News January 21, 1958

This had to have made for a marginal existence, compared to its magnificent neighbor, the Luau in Miami Beach, which shared billing adjacent to it in the Miami dining guides. Here's an early ad for the Aloha...

The Miami News July 27, 1958

Between the ad above and the last archival record I could locate of its existence (below), the Aloha surfaced for a relatively few club meetings in print...

The Miami News June 4, 1965

-Tom

Thanks Tom. A disappointing history given the matchbook graphics.

I did find this ad listing with a Tiki on it.

DC

P

Thought I should add the Menu

I spotted another menu from the Aloha Restaurant in Coral Gables. It looks like the finally got a liquor license as they sold beer, wine and Japanese Sake.

DC

Oops

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2019-12-09 15:52 ]

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2019-12-09 15:59 ]

Menu image with the story on the food.

DC

Pages: 1 8 replies