Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Phoenix Area (mostly vintage) Bars and Restaurants

Pages: 1 9 replies

M

Here is the start of a list I am working on. I have NEVER been to the places with ??? . Any feedback appreciated on those places. Some I picked because of the name or a photo I found. Thanks, Bruce

CODE- (R) is restaurant (B) is bar. (R/B) Means both bar and restaurant are worth checking out!

Phoenix and neighboring area ;
(R/B) Hula's Modern Tiki, 7213 E 1st Ave. Scottsdale (480)970-4852 hulasmoderntiki.com

(R/B) Hula's Modern Tiki 4700 N Central Ave. (602) 265-8454 http://www.hulasmoderntiki.com/
(B) Bikini Lounge 1502 Grand Ave (602) 252-0472 DIVE Vintage Tiki decor. No fancy drinks! Very DIVEY! NOTE-The current owners have made some improvements and are working on the drinks and decor!
(R/B)Durant's 2611 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ (602) 264-5967 c. 1950 Classic Steakhouse! Dress up! http://www.durantsaz.com/
(B) ??? Seven Seas Cocktail Lounge 4412 S Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ (602) 276-9973
(B) ??? Bullock's Country Attitudes (what a name!) 2601 W Bethany Home Rd, (602) 433-9303
(B) ??? Recovery Room (great name!) 2027 W Bethany Home Rd, Phoenix, (602) 246-6456

(R) MacAlpineā€™s Soda Fountain & Antiques 2303 N 7th St
(602) 262-5545

(R/B) ??? Hi-Liter Cocktail Lounge (great name) 4716 N 12th St, (602) 234-0128 c1962 STRIP CLUB and restaurant. http://hiliterclubaz.com/content/ I named it only to warn you!

And instead of adding more posts, if you could go back to your original and add your additions by editing you post. That way, one could print up this thread when they travel. Thanks!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2016-06-19 16:08 ]

M

any new places to go?

The Bread Fruit and Rum Bar

The Undertow is also not to be missed.

3620 E. Indian School Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85018
http://www.undertowphx.com/

Text (602)753-6504 for reservations. (You'll need them.)

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2017-07-26 16:12 ]

I just came across this topic. I'm a Phoenix area native and have been writing blog reviews for my tiki business Tiki Republic on the side(www.tikirepublic.com). I also work for a major commercial airline so I get to travel. I've used the benefits to document tiki bars and eateries that reach far beyond Phoenix. I was just getting ready to post the link to a review that I just completed for Dirty Dick in Paris, France.

Here's the link, enjoy

https://tikirepublic.wordpress.com/category/undertow-phoenix-az/

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2018-01-18 08:13 ]

Headed out to Phoenix tomorrow for meetings throughout the remainder of the week and looking forward to enjoying a few of these places. Let me know if there have been any major changes to scene out there since the prior posts.

-Snapper

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 9:56 PM

Welcome to Tiki Central, Snapper. Please report back after your trip, and introduce yourself to everybody over at this thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6&forum=1&4206

I visited the Undertow on Saturday before I left town and had a great time. Since it was Saturday I used opentable to make a res at 4:00 when it opened hoping to get a spot in front of a bartender's station. I would highly recommend using this app instead of doing a walk-in. They do 90 minute sittings with your reservations. We got lucky and sat in front of Libby's station. She has been with Undertow since it opened and was very knowledgeable about the drinks and their method.

Libby at Work on our first drink.

I brought two fellows along with me to introduce them to Tiki and have some fun. I started with a Mallory's Treasure (18 y/o Aged Agricole Rhum (Rhum J.M I believe), Japanese Whiskey (Suntory Whisky Tori), Sherry, Amaro, Palm Sugar and Orange Bitters). The presentation was worthy of the ingredients. It comes to you in Mallory's own treasure chest (back lit and smoking). The smoking does impart a hint of additional flavor to the drink by coming into contact with the empty crystal glass and your ice cube, but it doesn't overdo it. The drink itself is in a stoppered glass decanter.

Still image from a video of the Mallory's Treasure

I've listed the remainder of the cocktails we had at the bottom of this post with a few more pics. I enjoyed talking briefly with Jason Asher from Barter & Shake who was dutifully managing the reservations, seating, and the entire experience for that matter. The sound and sensory experience greatly enhanced everything for the two tiki-neophytes who joined me. We especially enjoyed the multi-media presentation through the ship portals surrounding the bar. Their images were tied to the lighting and sounds of the bar. Everyone in the place quieted down a bit during the gunfight with a neighboring junk and during rough seas (you have to be there to completely understand it). They have a very creative menu that is in its second iteration. It speaks well of Jason and his staff's commitment to the renewing the experience of visiting. It is WELL WORTH the stop if you are in Phoenix. Do a deep dive like we did and try several things. We put Libby in the driver's seat for our last three drinks and we weren't disappointed.

Foreground - Folks enjoying a 'Spoils of War' while a bartender is lit from a 'Mallory's Treasure' in the background. Sorry for the rotation. Couldn't get this pic right for some reason.

While there we also enjoyed:

• Batten & Brace (Pineapple Infused Rum, Mezcal, Herbal Liqueur, Lemon, Orgeat, Mint and Pineapple)
  • Hempen Halter (Pineapple Infused Rum, Batavia Arrack, Swedish Punch, Coconut Liqueur, Lemon Oleo Saccharum and bitters)
  • First Mates Delight (Butter Washed 12 y/o Nicaraguan Rum, Blend of Aged and Island Rums, Allspice Dram, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Don's #2 Mix and spices). I think this was a previous winner at Tiki Oasis.
  • The Smoking Cannon (Bourbon, Aged Barbadian Rum, French Amer, Sherry, Pineapple and bitters - served with a cinnamon smoke)
  • Smuggled Goods (Macadamia Nut Infused Overproof Aged Jamaican Rum, Mezcal, Sherry, Allspice Dram, Orgeat & Lime)
  • Hoist the Black (Aged Nicaraguan Rum, Pineapple Infused Rum, Lemon, Molasses and Peach)
  • Heart of a Sailor (Macadamia Nut Infused Overproof Aged Jamaican Rum, Aged Guyanese Rum, Creole Shrubb, Peach Liqueur, Sherry and Passion Fruit Bitters).

There are plenty of other great things to explore on their menu. I started working on a Macadamia Nut Infused Rum for my home bar this morning. I've labeled it simply as 'Undertow' to bring back some great memories from this trip.

My intrepid tiki-tasting crew...

-Snapper

[ Edited by: Snapper_RIW 2018-01-22 12:29 ]

Great review. Was considering a smash-and-grab Phoenix trip next month in order to catch a couple of Spring Training games - the Undertow makes the idea that much more appealing.

Great trip report, Snapper! I am excited to visit Undertow in a couple months. We'll have one full day to explore Phoenix. The bar/restaurant list up top is pretty old. Anyone wanna share the latest and greatest? What are the must see spots for eating, drinking, shopping, exploring, etc?

Pages: 1 9 replies