Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Name For Tiki Restaurant

Pages: 1 18 replies

Ok, it looks like everyone is on the name game. I have one. What should we call a new restaurant/bar located on a Polynesian island. It will have tiki's, Mai Tai's, Po po platters, music and dinner. What would a good name be? I thought Pacific Andy's but it was shot down.

E

How about the Zimba Room? It doesn't mean anything, but the letter "Z" is exotic, and I found it in a James Ellroy book.

Pu Pu Place?

Pineapple Pokopo's?

You are here.

S
sungod posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2003 9:14 PM

Mai Tai Heaven?

Pacific Andy~

May I ask what is wrong with the name "Pacific Andy's", and who shot the name down, and what was your reasoning to accept another persons opinion for that not being a good name?

Honestly, I like Pacific Andy's too...any chance of renegotiation?

Considering you are in Tahiti, the need to imply polynesian in the name of your restaurant name does not seem as important as it might be here. In the US you need to name it in such a way that patrons will know exactly what type of restaurant it is. We have cheeseburger joints, Italian, Chinese, etc. In Tahiti, you don't have to pretend that you are in Tahiti because you are ...... In Tahiti.

Are there any notable geographic names that you could tie into the restaurant name? A name of a nearby mountain, or bay, or tribe. Is there a common expression in Tahitian like Aloha?

Da Monkeyman

All the birds sing words and the flowers croon, in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room. (Disneyland)

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-06-05 23:05 ]

DZ

On 2003-06-05 20:38, emspace wrote:
It doesn't mean anything, but the letter "Z" is exotic...

Really? Oh, well, Z-Girl and I thank you very much then...

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2003 3:27 AM

Aloha Papeete,

I would call my bar "Da Puka"

I love my puka shell lei dats why. plus puka means hole here on Hawaii....da wattering hole, da place fo suck em up cuz.

aloha

How about "Eat at Joe's"

I suggest you ask TikiBars or BigBroTiki for their opinions since they appear to exercise mind control over this forum...

Maybe they would consent to your use of:
"Pacific Sven's"
or,
"Pacific James'"

(Those shameless self-promoters!)

E

On 2003-06-05 23:44, Doctor Z wrote:

On 2003-06-05 20:38, emspace wrote:
It doesn't mean anything, but the letter "Z" is exotic...

Really? Oh, well, Z-Girl and I thank you very much then...

My pleazure!

emzpace.

Thanks for some good ideas. The reason my idea got shot down was I am not the owner or putting up the cash ola. They will have a PA Mai Tai thou. It still amazes me that they dont make a good Mai Tai in Tahiti. If you have any other good ones let me or us know. All input is welcomed. Also anyone here anymore about the restaurant Tahiti in the Fairfax area? Is it gone?

TB

Ok, it looks like everyone is on the name game. I have one. What should we call a new restaurant/bar located on a Polynesian island.

Well I'm always looking for a little something different...but how about this one for a name

(The) Face of the Wave.

It's a surfers term but I've always liked this title for a tiki bar that could get away with out needing to be blantant about what it is. As I stated with MonkeyMan I only ask that a toast be given to the Tiki Baron or that I get invited to check it out at some point either will suffice. Good luck.

MM

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-06-09 19:15 ]

Well when it opens I will let everyone know. It could be a great TC party in Tahiti. Since I am poor you will need to pay for your own airfare and hotels but hell you will be in Tahiti.

I like South Pacific Andy's.

Regarding Tahiti/the Tiki Lounge, horrors!

It is closed as the owners are looking to sale. It was (and hopefully will be again) my favorite tiki bar.

I heard it was for sale - Do you have there contact info? I may have an interested party.
You can email me at [email protected]
Thanks

hey Andy...Which island in Tahiti will it be in? Papeete, Moorea or Bora Bora? I agree though that you don't have to emphasize Tiki or Polynesia since you're already there. But I'm assuming that most of your clientel will be mostly Americans, some French, and some Japanese. How about, "The Maeva Room"

Just a suggestion.

I like that one - It will be on Tahiti.

Pages: 1 18 replies