Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Canoe House Honolulu,Hi, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 10 replies

N

Name:The Canoe House Honolulu,Hi
Type:restaurant
Street:1777 Ala Moana Boulevard
City:Honolulu
State:HI
Zip:96815
Phone:

Description:
I first heard about this place from that Arthur Lyman lp titled Arthur Lyman Today’s Greatest Hits with the Barney West tiki guarding the place but have found very little information on it then stumbled on this episode of Hawaii 5-0 titled The Last Eden where a night club singer performs there and unless these are elaborate sets I hit gold.

Cool poster in the background

First during these fisticuffs you can see some tikis on the wall of the Ilikai entrance leading into the bar.

Enter McGarrett with those green ceramic designs on the bamboo door.

Tapa and bamboo

Woman at the bar and tiki mask

Nice bar with tiki on the side, turtle shell wall décor and a freestanding tiki in grass skirt.

They had tiki mugs in the form of a pineapple design and red bowls too.

Here’s a nice view of the stage with exotica instruments, Arthur must have been off that day.

Today it’s known as Canoe’s, you're on your own.

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2011-10-03 16:23 ]

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2011-10-03 16:24 ]

Aloha,

Great screen grabs

...And then, there's this BIG metal Fella who was at the Canoe House!

I used this in my presentation "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii."

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-07 12:36 ]

Great find Naugatiki. Pretty cool to see the Arthur Lyman poster in that screen grab. No way that was a set.

DC

Wow, that must be one of the most Tiki environment-heavy episodes of 5-0! Can anybody post that cocktail menu that is visible on the back bar shelf?

N

On 2011-10-04 01:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, that must be one of the most Tiki environment-heavy episodes of 5-0! Can anybody post that cocktail menu that is visible on the back bar shelf?

Unfortunately, the director didn't go to the Orson Wells school of deep focus and that picture is about as good as it gets, but I'm hoping one day it will be on bly ray for better resolution.

A

Great catch naugatiki! This is great because it answers a question I was wondering about from another Five-0 episode where they used the same place. I made a bunch of captures from that other episode a while ago, but didn't get around to posting them, so this is a good time to do it.

These are from the episode "One Born Every Minute" from season 6, originally aired in 1974. Funny because that episode had a bunch of scenes at the Ilikai, but didn't let on that these scenes were in the Canoe House. Here we go...

Michael Strong as the unwitting dupe of some con artists, enters the Canoe House through those same gates McGarrett used above. He's an expressive guy.

Same tapa as above.

Making his way to the table.

Nice shot of tiki, thatch, moustache, bamboo, and legs.

Fast forward to a later meeting back at the same place, where the game is on.

First Mr. Plaid excuses himself to make a phone call, and we get to see that same bar.

There's that turtle shell on the wall.

Pay phones and a very well focused pineapple.

Looking back from the pineapple. Our man still hasn't caught on. Barfly also dispassionately shares his gaze at the camera.

Now it's the girl's turn. Excusing herself for the powder room, her urgency goes up dramatically once she hits the gates. And just for confirmation on the location - I didn't see it before, but the sign in the background clearly says, "Aloha, welcome to the Ilikai!"

Getting a slight hint of suspicion.

Maybe one more sip of water and they'll come back.

Damn, where'd they go?

It's finally sinking in.

Now this last shot shows the part that threw me off, because he ran outside and passed a conspicuous sign for the Tahitian. If they're gonna film at the Canoe House, why pretend it's somewhere else?

Not that it's an unusual practice to freely swap interiors and exteriors. In fact, the same episode ends up with a scene where they enter the Canlis restaurant exterior, but then go to a totally definitely non-Canlis dining area, beachside. Anyway, it's all part of why I love watching the original Five-O!

-Randy

It's finally sinking in.

Now this last shot shows the part that threw me off, because he ran outside and passed a conspicuous sign for the Tahitian. If they're gonna film at the Canoe House, why pretend it's somewhere else?

Not that it's an unusual practice to freely swap interiors and exteriors. In fact, the same episode ends up with a scene where they enter the Canlis restaurant exterior, but then go to a totally definitely non-Canlis dining area, beachside. Anyway, it's all part of why I love watching the original Five-O!

-Randy

Sad they they showed 2 entrances to the Canoe House but not the one with the Barney West tiki.

It's also funny that they named the club The Tahitian while The Tahitian Lanai is next door, the art dept must have been under a quick deadline. The singer of the club has his own poster similar to the Lyman one.

[ Edited by leevigraham on 2022-05-16 14:40:13 ]

On 2011-10-04 01:15, bigbrotiki wrote:

I don't have that one, but I did pick up this cool little fold out drink menu from the Ilikai.

It featured the four lounges at the hotel: The Top of the I, the Canoe House, the Honk Kong Junk and the Fountain Lanai.

Here is the illustrated drink menu from the Canoe House. It looks like the definitely used Tiki mugs.

The back side of the drink menu.

Really great find from Naugatiki on the images from this.

DC

Here is an old ad with Arthur Lyman and his group at the Canoe House.

DC

There was an I Dream of Jeannie episode filmed at the Canoe House too, with more mug images (sorry for the low res).

Interestingly, the scene begins with a shot of the exterior sign for Duke Kahanamoku's...

Duke's sign

...but it is clearly filmed in the Canoe House, as seen from the interior and this shot of the menu.

Menu

There are great shots of LaTour Hawaii bowls.

LaTour Bowls1

Also what appears to be the LaTour Kumu's Tiki (the brown one), used at other Ilikai restaurants, including the Pier 7 coffee house...

Blue Bamboo

as well as some other mugs that may not yet be accounted for...

And here's one more ad for the Arthur Lyman Group, from 1967:

IMG_1675

Pages: 1 10 replies