Name:The Luau
Type:restaurant
Street:6738 La Jolla Blvd
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

I picked up a menu at the recent paper show from The Luau restaurant located in La Jolla.

The food choices.

The address is now the Su Casa Mexican Restaurant that advertises as being established in 1967 - so the Luau didn't last long.

The amazing thing about this one was the blatant rip-off of the imagery from Steve Crane's Luau restaurant located in Beverly Hills.

I have also seen a drink menu and matchbook from the La Jolla Luau (just missed the drink menu at the paper show).

Lets play the "What's Different?" game on the menu covers.

Maybe Bosko knows a little more about this one?

DC

Holly Shit!
I've been to that Su Casa about 4 times in 20 years.
Good to know.
thanks for the post, and what it is now.

Jeff(btd)

These slides sold on ebay a few weeks ago. First time I've ever seen an image of this sign. Also check out the La Jolla Palms Motel building in the background.

What a great, classic sign!

Amazingly cool sign Shaker, totally Googie yet Polynesian Pop as well, the current building doesn't look very different (Basically) from the menu illustrations, who knows what wonders lied within?

T

Wow! What a great sign! But it looks a little odd, like the shape is upside down or something... It forms an A-frame shape if it's flipped over... sort of the way the menu graphics look Luau-ish, but are knock offs... maybe the the proprietors were in such a hurry to rip off Steve Crane's Luau they didn't take the time to work out all the nuances!

Very cool, none the less... hope more images surface of this place!

A

I see there's a plan to tear down the building and replace it with an apartment building.

http://www.lajollalight.com/news/local-news/sdljl-la-jolla-cpa-ok-su-casa-project-2016jan14-story.html

Typical

Pages: 1 6 replies