Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Queen Palm Root Ball in the Oven

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

Great work! Those would go over big here on the left coast too!

That's Sharp!

A
amate posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2011 8:14 AM

That is one handsome tiki!

K

Thanks Capt'n Jack, Chuck and Amate for dropping in and for your comps.

finally got some stain on my last tiki which I am calling JoJo.

These guy are rad,maybe you could throw in some drums and start a whole
band series!Cheers Watango

I really like it - but - I have to give you a "Carve Deeper".

Me like,
A lot...
Great detail
Keep on rockin

Jon (hang10tiki)

K

Watango, thanks man. I have wanted to do one with a drum because I play percussion, but my guitar playing buds keep twisting my arm for the Ukulele tiki. Maybe after New Years I can get to making one with a drum. Hope your trip to the Big Island is one filled with much amazing coolness.

Tom, thanks a whole heap man! I hear ya on carving deeper especially in the upper body area of this one. I really appreciate your critique because it helps me to refine and improve my carving. It also helps to see those pics of those awesome Pepper Grinders and other amazing peices your doing to help me see where I need to improve on representing the features of tiki anatomy.

Jon, Thanks for you comps and stopping by all the way from the Cali

G
Grimbo posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2012 4:07 AM

Great tikis, I especially like the square Marquesan. Ahh the carvers on TC are so damn inspirational. :)
Thanks for posting! :)

Your work is fantastic. I like all of them. Each has some crisp detail. The guy with the ukelele is my favorite.

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2012 7:21 PM

Thanks Grimbo and Grand Poobah for dropping by.

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2012 7:29 PM

I haven't had time to carve but I have been working on a few projects that involve tiki in the design.
Here is a T-shirt design I did company in Hawaii.

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2012 7:41 PM

I haven't had the time to carve in between designing and trying to find work, but someone wanted a Ukulele tiki like one I had carved before. So sorry to post another Ukulele on you, but this is all I have had time to do of late.
Start

3/4 of the way

Finish

Very nice! That's some great carving ....

M

Beautiful carve Keylo!

The finish is extra nice too.

Mahalo

McTiki

P

I like the details & different colors...

Very nicely done!

Damn that whole "dayjob" thing. Its always gettin in the way of serious stuff!

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2012 8:13 AM

Capt'n Jack, McTiki, Jeff - thanks for droppin in and for your compliments on the tiki.

Tom - yeah, if I could just kick that nasty habit of having to eat, I wouldn't have to work.

C

Cool carve I like!

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2012 9:37 PM

Thanks Clarita, i have seen some really cool musicians doing a duet over on your thread as well.

C

:)

Nice work, your personal style comes through.
G

S

Some very clean tight well stained thought out tikis my friend.
Where do i order the T-shirt from?

K

SS, thanks man for your words of encouragement to this chisel grommet. You sure you don't have anti-freeze running through your veins? You, Surfintiki and Lake are the Cold Core for sure! I put my foot in the water somewhere near Heceta Head Lighthouse, and fortunately was able to hobble back to the truck for an emergency de-icing. Needless to say, I didn't get in the water till I hit Cambria, CA. Crazy Shirts will put that design into production sometime this summer, not exactly sure when. mahalo

the uke holding TiKi is great! love the carve, the stain,.... beautiful !

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Apr 19, 2012 8:24 AM

Thanks Skoo, hope all is good out in Cali

C
cy posted on Thu, Jun 27, 2013 7:41 AM

Anything new from Keylo?

Sweet job. I like your style.

BT

awesomesauce

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Jan 21, 2016 9:44 PM

I fell off the edge of the world as far as carving tikis was concerned. I am trying to climb back up the cliff. Heres a tiki I carved for a friends dad. He wanted their family name "Haynes" and Ohana on the tiki somewhere. I figured Ohana should be something highly valued and worth protecting so I used the idea of a Chief/Warrior. Heres my take on "Chief Ohana Haynes"

Very Cool!

Super duper Tiki!

Some really nice and imaginative carvings on this thread Keylo. Last one is very cool.

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Feb 4, 2016 9:29 PM

Tuga and For The Love thanks for dropping with those words. Conga thanks too. Its always inspirational looking thru your amazing work.

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Apr 18, 2016 8:58 PM

A few years back I tried a experiment at carving a tiki on the fly with no plan. I didn't like the way it came out, so I sat him in the corner for a few millennia. A while back I decided to give him an extreme makeover. I was carving some design elements on the side of his jaw and when I stepped back I thought it looked like the number 68. So I decided to continue with the 68 theme on the other side and his back. With his elongated spiny snozzle and I decided to call him Ooga 68.

C
cy posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2016 8:02 AM

Killer Kool Keylo.

H

Ooga looks good.

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2016 9:25 AM

Thanks Cy and Hiltiki

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2016 9:43 AM

I got a call this morning from a friend who took out an sickly Queen Palm, so with the trusty Ranger I went and scooped it up.
I welcome any advice on drying this Royal Root Ball out, drop a line. Mahalo

Some like queen palm some don't.
Some times it dries & some times it rots.
I think I'd split it down the middle to
give it the best chance to dry.
Then carve 2 masks.
Every one will really like them.

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2016 8:56 PM

Thanks Will. Never have carved on a Queen, but have seen a lot of them die up this way, and they go quick. Drive around and see them bend in half like they have no core.
Appreciate the advice, sounds like a good plan.

Don't wait. I like Will's idea. When palms die the roots will continue to pump water to the rest of the tree - that's why if they stay in the ground they rot and bend in half. Don't wait for it to dry. Start carving and it will dry out.

K
Keylo posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2016 6:31 PM

Thanks for dropping by Aloha. This blimey log is pretty wet, It was dripping water the whole time I was cutting thru to take off the head. So you say carve away? I up for giving it a shot. Thanks.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies