Name:Luau Room
Type:restaurant
Street:3500 Airline Hwy @ Shrewsbury Rd
City:New Orleans
State:LA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I can assume this is one of the Dobb's House locations as the name is much like the original Luau in ATL, and the known Luau Room in KY, plus, they owned the airline food concession and it is located on Airline Hwy.

Note the Mai-Kai's "Black Magic" on the menu. Have you seen it on any other menu besides the Bora Bora in SF?

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-12-20 16:52 ]

[ Edited by: swanky 2011-12-21 08:25 ]

Swanky,

I had seen that menu a while back and posted it with this matchbook under by Cajun Tiki thread.

I don't think that this one was a Dobb's House place. Different font and graphics, and a New Orleans location was never listed on the menus that had all of the City's listed.

This place deserves a little more research, Tiki Revival style.

DC

S

DC,

You may be right and I am getting ahead of myself. I saw the address and name and put them together.

I saved that menu ages ago for some reason. I was sifting through a decade of images last night and noticed the Black Magic and looked further.

I think there was a Poly Pop place opened in Louisiana in one of the Dinkler hotels. I am remembering Charles...something. They had the first Atlanta "Luau", but proximity and name do not make a real match...

On 2011-12-21 08:28, Swanky wrote:

I think there was a Poly Pop place opened in Louisiana in one of the Dinkler hotels. I am remembering Charles...something. They had the first Atlanta "Luau", but proximity and name do not make a real match...

That would be the Outrigger at the Sheraton Charles Hotel. I posted some photos of the exterior on my Cajun Tiki thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29982&forum=5&start=45&hilite=cajun

DC

S

On 2011-12-27 09:54, Dustycajun wrote:

On 2011-12-21 08:28, Swanky wrote:

That would be the Outrigger at the Sheraton Charles Hotel. I posted some photos of the exterior on my Cajun Tiki thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29982&forum=5&start=45&hilite=cajun

DC

It was a Dinkler at some time. But then I see the Andrew Johnson here in Knoxville was too. No tiki bar there. Dinkler put a bar in the Nashville Dinkler and opened the Luau. Maybe, just maybe he put this Outrigger in?

The article says they bough it tin 1958 and sold it to Sheraton in 1959. That's the time when they opened the Luau in ATL and sold it at a huge profit.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-12-27 10:09 ]

S

The Wiki says Crane formed his partnership with Sheraton in 1958. The other restaurants in Sheratons were Kon Tikis, and only the Beverly Hills was a Luau. But maybe this was the first of that partnership and it was opened as a Luau? Total conjecture...

S

Okay, bear with me here DC...

The font there is exactly the font used for the Dinkler Luau, and the art is pretty similarly made.

Pages: 1 6 replies