Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Nostalgic Food & Beverages

Pages: 1 2 86 replies

Quisp actually is available again!

I was able to find it in Boston when it first came back a bunch of years ago. I haven't seen it around anywhere lately (I've been in San Diego for years), but apparantly it is still out there, so keep looking.

If all else fails, you can order from Quaker's online store:

http://quakeroats.elsstore.com/view/category/209-quisp/
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/more-products-from-quaker/content/cereals/quisp.aspx

I miss the original McDonald's "Filet-O-Fish"

When it was made from real Cod, 1963 to late 70s, Again it was fresh cooked & not microwaved
Then they switched to Pollock

Then in 1981 they switched to New Zealand Hoki, which is almost fished out now
Now they are back to a combo of Pollock, Hoki & God knows what?

But when it was Cod it was pretty good, I don't eat at McDonald's anymore, Sooo..

Hoki...

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-23 18:37 ]

I was wondering about the fillet o fish. I used to love it 'back in the day' now it tastes... just weird.

Wow, I loved Space Sticks! Tonga Tom, post those pics of the pirate-themed tv dinners you showed me at The Hut on Sunday...please. I loved those too. I remember western ones as well. Long live Farrell's and their jawbreakers.

I don't miss fish sticks, Something we all had at one time or another.

If you had a parent that was in the Military, Marine Corp for me
then you ate S.O.S. or Shit on a Shingle as a kid, Chipped Beef or Hamburger
in gravy served on toast, maybe with an egg.

My grandmother called it Graveyard Stew

Chuck Tatum is Tiki, you can get flavored coke at Sonic drive-ins and Dairy Queen (if you are fortunate to have one or both). I understand that they won't taste exactly like they used to (nothing does anymore), but those are the only chains I have found that offer those options (not including any local mom and pop owned soda fountains).

Currently, you can get Mars bars at Wal-Mart and maybe a few gas stations, but WM is the only place I have seen them and if I hadn't ducked in to get batteries for my camera I wouldn't have known they were back. The picture you posted is the re-release of the Mars bar. Tonga Tom is right, Sinkers almond pretty much took the Mars spot, but to doesn't taste like a Mars bar. I wish they would bring back Bar-None candy bars.

If you are lucky enough to find them, you can get Dr. Pepper with sugar. They used to be bottled in a little bottling company in Dublin, TX. But recently the corporate hammer took that from them. Sad, they were one of the last glass bottling facility I have seen. I have read that the Dr. Pepper company still plan on selling the DP with sugar, but not through that small bottling plant. They have been brewing the DP with sugar for years and shipping it to the bottling plant for packaging. Corporate greed at it's finest. I had head the Dublin facility solid out of all remaining stock the day it was announced. I tried the "Dublin" Dr. Pepper hot through a percolator when my throat was sore, it helped.

Now if you want Dr. Pepper, Coke, or Pepsi with sugar you have to be lucky enough to get some of the limited editions that get released now and then or ones from Mexico. Pepsi does sell "Pepsi Throwback" in my part of the state (TX) along with "throwback" Mt. Dew. I'm not a huge soda drinker these days, but the Pepsi Throwback makes a good quick rum and cola or cuba libre for guests or a easy drink.

I miss how Long John Silvers used to look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wafflewhiffer/4187142188/in/photostream

My wife and I have stopped in to the local one recently and while they still used the original building, it's stripped down and combined (with of all things) A&W root beer and hot dogs (WTH!?).

I remember when I was a kid that they used to have a treasure chest full of prises. I wish I could get one for my home.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/2844075787/

This guy has a really good photo collection of food and drink products from the good ol' days:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wafflewhiffer/

Although it has banned in the US forever I have fond memories of the artificial liquid sweetener Sucarly that was filled with rat tumor growing cyclamates. It didn’t taste like sugar the way Taco Bell doesn’t taste like Mexican food but I realy miss that sickeningly sweet concentrated rush and Splenda just won't do it.

A great place in LA to get hard to find sodas and hard to find candy is Galco's

http://www.sodapopstop.com/

The site sucks, but the market should not be missed. Their selection of soda is incredible.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2012-01-27 18:10 ]

Beemans Gum

I grew up around small Airports,Skydivers & Pilots so this super strong (Pepsin flavored) gum was everywhere
I got to like it & still find it now & then.

It was featured in the movies "The Right Stuff" & "The Rocketeer"

Lance,

You can get Beemans and Black Jack gums plus other old favorite candy type goodies, like bubble gum cigarettes, through the Galco's link above as well.

A pilgrimage may be in order.

Bear

Hey Bear, Can you lend me a stick of Beeman's
I'll pay ya back later.

On 2012-01-22 23:18, JOHN-O wrote:
An Okie Dog would be pretty easy to reproduce...

Two hot dogs on a flour tortilla, covered with chili and pastrami and wrapped up like a burrito.

Although I never tried.

Weren't the two hot dogs wrapped in the pastrami? Then smothered in chili and cheese and then all surrounded in a tortilla (and then wrapped in an enigma)?

I had one once. It was memorable.I was surprised that they had an "A" rating.

On 2012-01-22 23:46, JOHN-O wrote:
I remember after Little League, we would eat at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. I was only familiar with the one in Rosemead, I never realized at the time it was a chain.

Interestingly enough that Rosemead location is now home to one of the most popular Chinese restaurants in So Ca. Many people just refer to it as "The Chinese restaurant that used to be Farrell's". Ha Ha. It's a good way to identify people who spent their Wonder Years in the SGV.

Anyway Farrell's had this giant ice cream concoction that had to be carried out by two people called The Zoo. Or was it the Pig's Trough, I forget.

I'm pretty sure I ate at the Farrel's at the International Market Place in Honolulu back in 1982. It was a memorable place and Mr. Phillip Roberts confirmed that it was indeed there at the time.

On 2012-01-23 12:31, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
What happened to "Mars Bars" I read that they are back,but have not seen one in years...

I'd be willing to trade Mars bars for other food items. We got 'em here.
Do you have Frankenberry?

I think Count Chocula & Frankenberry were finally killed by the denizens
of Cerealvania :lol:

"Okie Dogs" had the worst food, I usually stuck to the "Ugly Fry's" so greasy and served
in a brown paper bag that just soaked up the grease.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-03-06 10:36 ]

:music: If you think it butter, but it's not...it's Chiffon :music:

Remember, it isn't nice to fool Mother Nature

G
Gavin posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2012 11:51 AM

"Okie Dogs" had the worst food, I usually stuck to the "Ugly Fry's" so greasy and served

I actually ate an Oki Dog......once. Ha ha.
Hung out there a lot, late. Didn't eat much. After the Starwood usually.

So anyway, I have been meaning to mention:
Growing up in Costa Mesa in the 70's when there were still two strip clubs in town there was also a place that hopefully some of you may remember. it was Pink's Drugstore. It was located on Newport a few doors down from Goathill Tavern where (I think) Ticket Shack eventually was. Right where Harbor hits Newport.
It was owned by a former Costa Mesa mayor named Pinkney, or Pinkey and it was his hobby which was a recreation of an old fifties Soda Shop like you see in the movies.
Place was awesome for a little kid. He dressed up the part and actually he and his wife worked behind the counter and sold Sarsparillas, and Flavored cokes which he made himself, like a bartender. He also maintained a large penny candy rack which he operated obviously at a loss because it was just fun for him to let us little kids come in and pick out maybe twenty-five cents worth of candy. When those candies Bottle Caps came out he gave them away to us for free and told us they sucked and he couldn't charge for them. The long bar he bought and it was a killer vintage beauty. We would sit at the counter and he would make us...what are those flavored sodas called?..Parfaits? No not Parfaits....umm? Can't remember.
He also of course made huge Banana Splits and Hot Fudge Sundaes for like 50 cents. Place was by the Mesa Theater sort of and in my neighborhood. A block down was a strip club.
Quite a fond memory. It was a true blast from the past which had no business existing in that time and place, and yet...
Crap! What do they call those flavored sodas?

On 2012-03-06 11:51, Gavin wrote:

I actually ate an Oki Dog......once. Ha ha.
Hung out there a lot, late. Didn't eat much. After the Starwood usually.

So anyway, I have been meaning to mention:
Growing up in Costa Mesa in the 70's when there were still two strip clubs in town there was also a place that hopefully some of you may remember. it was Pink's Drugstore. It was located on Newport a few doors down from Goathill Tavern where (I think) Ticket Shack eventually was. Right where Harbor hits Newport.
It was owned by a former Costa Mesa mayor named Pinkney, or Pinkey and it was his hobby which was a recreation of an old fifties Soda Shop like you see in the movies.
Place was awesome for a little kid. He dressed up the part and actually he and his wife worked behind the counter and sold Sarsparillas, and Flavored cokes which he made himself, like a bartender. He also maintained a large penny candy rack which he operated obviously at a loss because it was just fun for him to let us little kids come in and pick out maybe twenty-five cents worth of candy. When those candies Bottle Caps came out he gave them away to us for free and told us they sucked and he couldn't charge for them. The long bar he bought and it was a killer vintage beauty. We would sit at the counter and he would make us...what are those flavored sodas called?..Parfaits? No not Parfaits....umm? Can't remember.
He also of course made huge Banana Splits and Hot Fudge Sundaes for like 50 cents. Place was by the Mesa Theater sort of and in my neighborhood. A block down was a strip club.
Quite a fond memory. It was a true blast from the past which had no business existing in that time and place, and yet...
Crap! What do they call those flavored sodas?

Was it a Phosphate ?

G
Gavin posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2012 12:07 PM

On 2012-03-06 11:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Was it a Phosphate ?

Yes! exactly. Thank you, that was driving me nuts.
a frikkin phosphate. I even remember him telling me what it was.
(Appreciate the recall I owe you an Oki Dog for jarring my memory on that fine little morsel from hell.)

On 2012-03-06 08:49, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I'd be willing to trade Mars bars for other food items. We got 'em here.
Do you have Frankenberry?

On 2012-03-06 10:30, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I think Count Chocula & Frankenberry were finally killed by the denizens
of Cerealvania :lol:

Local market had Frankenberry, Count Chocula, & Booberry this past Fall around Halloween time, bought one of each. My son eased off on his cereal intake for some reason, so we still have a factory sealed box of Frankenberry on top of the fridge with a "better if used by" date of 13JUN2012. He'd better get busy again, or I'll have to sell it to Slacks Ferret for an insane profit.

Bear

N

Don't forget the other cereals in this mad monster party, fruit brute and yummy mummy.

On 2012-03-06 01:25, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey Bear, Can you lend me a stick of Beeman's
I'll pay ya back later.

Sure thing. Just don't screw the pooch and become a smoking hole in the ground so you can welsh out on me.

Bear

I have zero memories of Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy cereals,Did these make it to California?

Bear: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wanted 'The Thing" cereal with shape shifting fruit bites
but General Mills never responded to my letters :cry: :cry: :cry:

W

Oh man look at that Datsun 510!!

AF

"I made a pig of myself" more than a couple of times at the HB location just south of the 405 on Beach Blvd.

G
Gavin posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2012 8:03 AM

We used to go to the one on Beach Blvd.
and eat the Zoo.
Farrell's are actually coming back now. I haven't been but my cousins celebrated a baby birthday party there the other week. They're in Mission Viejo and Brea and a few others in California. Also in Hawaii.

For all you Retro Hounds, Farrell's Locations are:

In SoCal

Downtown BREA
215 S Brea Blvd
Brea, CA 92821

MISSION VIEJO
799 The Shops Blvd
The Shops at Mission Viejo
Mission Viejo, CA 92691

RANCHO CUCAMONGA
10742 Foothill Blvd
Terra Vista Town Center Shopping Center
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

SANTA CLARITA
21516 Golden Triangle Road
Santa Clarita, CA 91350

Hawaii

at Pearlridge Shopping Center
98-1005 Moanalua Road, Space # 884
Aiea, HI 96701

http://www.farrellsusa.com/index.php

Edited: Fixed a mistake, Thanks Loki-Tiki!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-03-07 09:28 ]

I used to go to a Farrels in San Jose when I was a kid.
as much as I would love to go now, the thought of Ice Cream kinda turns my stomach now, ah the joys of getting older and being lactose intolerant.

Jeff(btd)

8T

Kings Food Host and their awesome "cheese frenchie"

TK

"FIZZIES" and they are back.

http://www.fizzies.com/

Ahhhhhh...fizzles!!!

Has anyone tried those make-at-home cotton candy machines? I wonder if they work well...might be fun.
http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Electrics-PCM-805-Sugar-Free-Cotton/dp/B003FA0KN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331476322&sr=8-1

AF

On 2012-01-22 16:27, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2012-01-20 23:23, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Here is one from 1970 to 1988 & located mainly in Southern California

Naugles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugles

This was a Punk Rock institution in the mid to late 70s, It was one of the only places open late at that time
It was fast Mexican food that was actually pretty good, very fresh and the Burritos were huge
they where called Macho Burritos (Taco Bell bought them out in 1988 & kept the title "Macho" on the menu, but not the size of the food)

You would get a Macho Burrito that was huge and very rarely could finish the whole thing, I liked the "Macho Burrito con Queso"
the bun tacos & the taco cups.

We would stop there after shows at the Cuckoo's Nest or when we came back from a gig in L.A.

R.I.P. Naugles

Naugles. There was one right across from my house. We hung out there ALL the time. The stupid thing was to cut the picture of Dick Naugle from the ticket, then paste it over your driver's licence. There were EPIC fights in the Naugles parking lot! EPIC!

But you are wrong about one thing: it was del taco who bought them out, resulting in the "macho" food items they still have.

Ahhh...Naugles. Their moto "Prepare Food Fresh, Serve Customers Fast, Keep Place Clean" was printed on each ticket (which came with your food) right next to a picture of founder Dick Naugle in his bow tie, walk up or drive thru. All of their fast food was very good. You had to have a Naugleburger or the 3 Giant Tacos on Tuesday for 99 cents. Top it off with a Root Beer Shake or Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae in a cup, awesome!

Other than that, I didn't like it that much... :lol:

There was an Oscars Drive-In on Midway in San Diego. My parents never took us there, even though we just lived up the hill on Rosecrans street. I was mesmerized by the awesome signage, fabulous building and skating girls that brought food to place on those aluminum trays perched on your car window.

Oscar's Drive-In isn't just about the food, it's about the nostalgia. If you were a teen in San Diego in the 50's or 60's you might remember Oscar's Drive-In.

In 1941 Foodmaker Co. opened a drive-in restaurant called Topsy's in San Diego. The drive-in restaurant concept with car hop service really caught on over the next several years. The San Diego climate with its many days of sunshine was the perfect place for restaurants of this sort. Topsy's was eventually expanded into four locations and renamed Oscar's. Oscar's Drive-In was very popular as a cruising place and a meeting place for the teens of San Diego County. They went there to cruise the parking lot, to socialize and of course, to eat.

Oscar's became a Southern California icon. Many people who were teens in San Diego in the 50's and 60's have fond memories of Oscar's Drive-In. Oscar's later evolved into Jack in the Box which featured drive though service instead of drive in.

I forgot about "Dixie Cream’s Donut's" until it came up in a conversation today.

I hear you can still get "Kool Pop's" but I have not seen them in some years.

Much like Tiki Bars, Farrells Ice Cream Parlors disappeared from the landscape but appear to be reemerging. There will be one opening soon in Buena Park near Knott's Berry Farm...

PE Bloggers: Farrells
Farrells Locations: Buena Park, CA

Maybe someday, we may see the reemergence of...
Wil Wrights Ice Cream Parlor
Helms Bakery Delivery Trucks?

Pages: 1 2 86 replies