Name:The Islander
Type:restaurant
Street:4151 East Colfax
City:Denver
State:
Zip:
Phone:399-7045

Description:
(from the inside of the matchbook cover) "The finest Polynesian food served in a South Sea setting. Cocktail Hour 5:00 to 7:00 P.M. Sunday entertainment. Continuous entertainment from 9:00 P.M."

Here is the matchbook cover (the "tiki" face is pretty godawful)

interior:

This is the Tiki Kai (with a sister location in Albq., New Mexico). The Islander must have taken over after the Tiki Kai closed.

B

Is this still open?

No more, according to remote urban archeology:

I found an old thread that's partially about this place
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4289&forum=1&21

Here's an excerpt:

On 2003-06-18 12:42, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Here's some of the info on the Denver location that I have collected over the last few years. It opened in 1963 and operated as the Tiki Kai until 1972. From 1972 thru 1975 it operated as the Islander. In 1975, they dumped the Polynesian name and operated as the China Town Restaurant until 1992 when the building was sold and razed. Blockbuster Video now stands in its place.
The rest of the thread is an interesting read as well. Too bad most of the photos don't show up -- not sure why.

I don't suppose it matters but it looks like even the Blockbuster is not there anymore.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2009/09/14/daily100.html?page=all

The Google Maps street view photos showing the Blockbuster are almost 4 years old (7/08). The satellite view shows the Blockbuster gone.

Well, I think the Islander took the usual turn for the worst in the 1970s, judging by this advertisement I spotted.

The Islander, home of The Glass Menagerie indeed. The 1970s were brutal on Tiki (but how about the hair!)

DC

On 2014-04-23 22:46, Dustycajun wrote:
Well, I think the Islander took the usual turn for the worst in the 1970s, judging by this advertisement I spotted.

The Islander, home of The Glass Menagerie indeed. The 1970s were brutal on Tiki (but how about the hair!)

DC

It's like watching something turn into the Regal Beagle.

Kevin

Pages: 1 7 replies