Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grapefruit Woes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 146 replies

On 2020-03-10 15:55, HopeChest wrote:

Personally, I quite like the Melogolds and Oro Blancos. Like, a LOT.

That's great. To each their own. I was quite averse to the flavor of grapefruit having grown up on ruby reds. It wasn't until I discovered the Indian River whites that it finally made sense to me. Over time I've come to tolerate other varietals but I typically won't use them in vintage drinks calling for grapefruit unless I adjust proportions.

Indian River Florida white grapefruits typically come to central Texas around Dec-Jan (which I aptly call Navy Grog season). A friend hipped me to the fact that somehow someway bags of Florida whites showed up at Aldi for like $3 for a 5lb bag. The bag I got had 8 fruits in it that are about half the size of the ones we get in peak season and they produced close to 4 oz of juice each. A friend brought me a bag with 6 fruits that are about 2/3 regular size. They seem like maybe the dregs from the end of the season but the taste is very close to what I’ve come to expect of Florida whites if not a tad on the bitter side. Regardless, it’s exciting to have off season access. I wonder if this is just a one shipment deal or if they’ll be available a while.

9B569723-DCB4-4361-A979-AD128B94E9E2

[ Edited by mikehooker on 2022-04-13 21:55:05 ]

The only time I've run into White Grapefruit (up here in the Great White North) was this past January. I'm hoping that it's the start of a trend, even if I only get a chance to buy them one short season per year. White Grapefruit

Pages: 1 2 3 4 146 replies