Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies

Like the idea of gravel art since I collect those pieces from the 60s/70s.

I have an idea for this swap deal...wonder if i can get off my arse and make it happen in 2.5 months.

We shall see ....

Tiger, MDM, Kele, S. Dee
Can't wait to see more

You know that really pathetic way that Daffy Duck says "Not again" before Elmer blasts him with the gun?

That was kinda how I felt.

I had the velveteen all stapled onto the frame and nicely snugged up.

Trimming the excess velveteen fabric off the back so it didn't look so bad...

When I felt something horribly wrong. One side of the frame broke and was wiggling ruining the stretched effect of the velveteen and creating all kinds of terrible wrinkles. So I had to meticulously remove all of the staples on the one side to see what the problem was.

I had forgot on one side I ran out of small nails and just used one a little bigger and some wood glue, figuring that would hold it fine.

So I looked all over the garage and finally found some much smaller nails and this time nailed it down properly. Then I had to re-tighten the velveteen, and have my dad help hold it in place as I stapled. It was much harder the second time around because of all the extra I had already trimmed off. Finally we got it all back together again ready for painting after I brushed it down with a fine hairbrush.

Next step should be finally painting the thing. Yeesh.

YOU CAN DO IT SANDRA DEEEEEEE!!!!!

Tiger, looks smooth now - keep on keepin' on!

Tiger-
Good fix
Looks cool

Much of my bead stash. These will be my palette to paint my volcanic art.

Due to the encouragement of Mad Dog Mike & the oh-so-talented Wendy, I'm going to participate in the swap. I had this idea for a painting of an exploding volcano with little tikis on fire running away from it but I'm not much of a painter. So I googled Pele and found the volcano goddess.

Since I've been dabbling in clay I decided to create a volcano with the godess coming out of it. It's drying now and I'm praying it will survive the firing. I hollowed her out but I'm still nervous she will explode.

I started with a volcano shape"

Then added lava and formed my Goddess. People are hard - be kind!

:)
Lori
Tiki Newbie
*edited for spelling

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2012-06-01 08:42 ]

I'M IN, I'M IN!

I would like to contribute to the art swap. I haven't painted much in the way of tiki, but I am fully prepared to rock it!

Let me know if I'm too late.

P.S. Tiki G and I are roomies, so swapping with him would be pretty anti-climactic for both of us... is there a way to be sure that this doesn't happen?

Aloha,

Melekalikimaka

Wow its getting pretty crazy every thing is looking so cool
Im starting to feel like i should do more shouldn't have finished so soon
Mahalo

Wow, a flurry of volcanic activity!

Kele, those beads will make an interesting and colorful twist on gravel art. Sparkly too.
Lori, way to jump in with both feet, you go girl! Be sure to let those dry SLOWLY so they don't crack. Write me if you have any questions about slow drying.
Mele, not too late at all. It doesn't matter when you start as long as you finish by the deadline. It is important to keep the swap as fair and random as possible, but that is a reasonable request that we should be able to fulfil.
Anthony, no problem with finishing early - looks like you have inspired several people to get moving. You are also welcome to create something else and give your Swap partner a choice.

I pulled 103 ceramic pieces out of the bisque firing this morning. I have accented the red clay pieces with a deeper red glaze and some black accents and they are back in the kiln again until tomorrow morning.

sweet
everyone is rockin right along

paints done...
after doing the teeth, I realized I need freekin glasses....:)

next will be staining the outside areas...

I'm just smiling from ear to ear. Tiki inspires art. It is wonderful to see the very different projects. I think I'll have to work hard on volcano Bob to catch up with all of you. Lori you should have been doing this years ago. I'm so glad you are doing it now. Mike, good thing you numbered those tiles! I love beads and gravel art, Kele what a treasure of supplies you have. Wood carving is super hard, hang10 you've certainly got the hang of it and the painting looks super. AnthoneyMaye your helmet looks professional. If I missed anyone I find you later on. Ms Tiki G welcome (can you tell I can't remember your long name).

I almost forgot. I especially thank you all for the photos, its so much fun to see them. Tigertail777 so sorry about your frame, good save and great photos, I'm anxious to see what you paint. ZeroTiki did you finish?__________

Can we wait until 8/8 ???____

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-06-01 15:35 ]

Go mad dog go...

C
cy posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2012 5:37 PM

Looking great Mad Dog and a fantastic start by everyone involved!

stain done,
next is gloss...

MadDog, you've created quite the puzzle to put together!
Hang10tiki, don't fret about the reading glasses, happens to most of us eventually. But your piece is looking great!

Thanks guys, I'm starting to get a finishing frenzy but I have other projects I really need to be working on instead :D

The big leaves in front didn't get enough glaze coverage so they are going back into the fire. At least I can use them as "placeholders" for now to glue down the volcano pieces. On the background leaves on the left, I tried to create some perspective by making the sizes go from large to small. I'll still need to cut some leaves to fill in the gaps before grouting.

I wanted to lay some glass tiles down for the picture to get a sense of how it will look but I can't find my glass tiles right now. Maybe I need to clean up the studio? :lol:

Fortunately, some of the bigger pieces are part of a project that finishes this week :)

Z

beautiful stuff all around! Woo HOO!!!
Wendy, I am still fine tuning, but I am also putting together some special treats for Oasis---stay tuned!

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2012-06-03 18:26 ]

Was going to work on mine more last night.... but not after imbibing in a few Mai Tai birthday libations at Trader Vic's. For the first time in my life I have a hangover ugh. Well its an interesting way to start out being 40.

hang10tiki you finished! He looks great.

MadDogMike, if that table was mine I'd leave those leaves alone. They are perfect with one side lighter than the other. If makes them look like 1/2 the leaf is catching the light. Just a thought.

Wendy

Wendy, they are intentionally glazed 2 colors - but they are streaky. I also discovered another challenge with my design; normally the tiles are smooth in mosaic so that when you grout the cracks the excess wipes off easily. But I made the volcano tiles textured and only partially glazed - it's going to be a pain in the butt to ungrout them :lol:

So much GREAT work so far!
I apologize for not giving y'alls a step-by-step
BUT i just Winged it one night and came up with this!

"Bath in the Land of the Volcanoes"
ink,water=soluble pencil and tissue paper stain on Aquarelle watercolor paper

Enjoy!
Can't wait to see what the rest of you come up with!

AWESOME!!! Thanks Ken!

I think I count 3 finished, at least 9 in progress, and hopefully many more to come :)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-06-04 21:21 ]

I couldn't sleep at 3am so I started cutting and glueing glass tiles. Everything is glued down now except the reddish brown leaves on the left that are now back in the kiln. Next will be the lava and the grout.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-06-05 20:51 ]

MadDogMike and little lost tiki. Two great works of art for the swap. Wow this is sure fun. Wendy

M
mp posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2012 6:47 PM

Looking so good everybody! I gotta go to the shed and look for some Velveteen.

Lil lost- way cool
MDM- lookin great

I'll be glossing mine tomorrow...

On 2012-06-05 18:47, mp wrote:
...I gotta go to the shed and look for some Velveta.

Ya gonna make some nachos??? :lol:

Good to see you here MP, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Better!

Gee MDM, and here I thought you were just going to build a fire under it so the glow of it would shine up through the lava parts.... of course shipping a blazing piece of art might be a problem, but if anyone could find the solution it would be you. :wink:

Looking really awesome Mike! I am confused though... I thought you did a Pele skull thing for the swap... or am I mixed up?

MDM - fast pace brother, lookin kool

Tiger- see page 7,
Recap-
OK, this isn’t really a Swap project ~ just a little something for inspiration and entertainment. In full disclosure, this isn’t my sculpt; this skull was a quickie formed over a Halloween foam skull and then modified. MDM

It was just a MDM inspiration story to get us all thinking/started
(however I did read somewhere on google that it was a true story, MDM just doesn't want everyone to know he has the 2 real Pele skulls)

Like this Tiger?

The gaps between the tiles will be grouted black which will make the lit stained glass more dramatic. I had to give up on actual fire, apparently it's a federal crime to send burning materials in the mail - go figure! I'll need to find the right lighting effect. Unfortunately the shadow from the support bar under the table if going to mess with the effect but that couldn't be helped. If I use multiple light sources under the table it will help negate that problem, maybe a circular florescent with some sort of diffuser?

Tiger (any anyone else), you are always welcome to make more than one project and give your Swap partner a choice. I'll probably offer Pele's skull (complete with the certificate of authenticity :D ) as a Swap option. I may even have a smaller skull by then so they could choose the pair of skulls or the table.

Thanks for the kind words and the assist Jon.

Lookin GREAT,Mike!
and the Black grout is gonna make it PA-POW!
Have you thought about making a little ceramic votive candle holder
that you can place ATOP the table and light ?
that might be a good option instead of wracking your brain
tryin to figure out how to light it from under the table....
Just a thought...

MDM- lookin kool brother...

I'm done with mine...

Looks great H10T! Nice vivid colors and beautiful wood grain. What is that wood?

MDM- You quessed it a few pages back, mesquite...
lots of them in Vegas, and lots of landscapers too...:)

MadDogMike and hang10tiki your work is terrific. I've glazed mine and it will fire soon. I will cold paint Pele when it is out of the kiln. She really isn't smiling.
Wendy

Beautiful Wendy, can't wait to see her finished!

Im speechless

MDM that is looking insane!
Wendy i love the lava flow can't wait to see it done
Hang ten the pele is way cool love the carve
Little lost tiki i don't think you can do any thing i don't like really cool piece.

I thought about putting a few of my other thoughts on here but the helmet was the best
i will take a few pics and post them soon

Hang10tiki, that's gorgeous!

LLT,I am in awe!
Wendy, love how your piece is progressing. That lava is amazing!
MDM, the table is marvelous!
Everyone is progressing so wonderfully. I better get back to work.
~kele

[ Edited by: WaikikianMoeKele 2012-06-07 16:37 ]

T

Oh Man,

I am so going to try to start up something and finish it in time for this swap. Seeing some really great work on here everyone!

A little grout

And it's almost done

Need to fill in a few gaps in the grout, apply a grout sealer, and work out my under table lighting.

MadDogMike every thing you do comes out looking unique and special. Next up lighting? Wow, Wendy

Thanks Wendy :blush:

I ended up with 6 feet of rope light under the table. On the plus side - it's self contained (not a seperate piece), it will ship well, it's cool light (doesn't add much heat), there's a nice soft glow from the table, it was affordable. On the downside - it doesn't give the even diffuse light I had envisioned. I think I was looking for natural sunlight streaming through a stained glass window and that's not happening :lol:

Need to wait 72 hours for the grout to cure and then I can seal it and be done. Who knows, maybe I'll have time for another Pele/Volcano/Fire project? :D

T

Going to start one of these days.
But then there are two months left.
I'm that guy who always did his reports for school on the last hour of the last day.
Going with a fire theme.

The other stuff on here is great!
Good job.

Fantastic work, everyone!

Love the table, MDM! You may have inspired me to create a tiki table for my hut. Maybe. I have to finish my swap project first though while I still have access to the kiln.

MDM,
The table looks fantastic!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies