Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies

MDM- freekin awesome bruddah

alright, I finally started on my piece, how is this blue green- ness going tobe volaniv you ask, well I have an idea and I think I can do it, hope it turns out as cool as I imagine.
12" x 16" acrylic on paint panel.

YAH Dawn! I like it so far :)

My favorite Dawn colors!

Finished and waiting to trade.

No flash.

With a flash.

Now I can work on some paintings and just enjoy watching the rest of you making swap art. Cheers, Wendy

T

To all participants that have posted pics of their art - everything looks fantastic!

I just wanted to briefly comment on the latest posts:

MDM your table is gorgeous and the lighting, as shown, creates a charming something extra that pushes the piece over the top for creativity. Bravo!

Wendy your Bob/Pele/Volcano is now in my top three favorite pieces from your expansive collection of artware. I consider this piece a beautiful flowing expression of you, your skills and the combination of elements is pure polypop eye candy. Salute!

Dawn you know I love the blue green- ness off your palette just like that - even with no details I instantly recognize it as "Sophista-Tiki" art. Can't wait to see more in-process pics from you here.

hang10tiki your carving is damn nice! I love the two-sided imagery that you have chosen to represent.

In order to appease Pele's unquenchable thirst at longing for a compatible male companion, I'm starting another TikiG volcano painting today and praying this new project keeps her content and happy until the next swap post :)

Aloha! G

It's beautiful Wendy! I love that speckled glaze. Bob doesn't seem to mind that he has lava running down his face and Pele is smokin' hot!

Greg, can't wait to see what you are up to next ~ I sense something mischievous coming on :D

SHIPPING VS OASIS DELIVERY:

WHO WILL BE AT OASIS TO HAND DELIVER THEIR TRADES???

1. MadDogMike will be at Oasis
  2. Hang10tiki will be there
  3. danlovestikis will be at Oasis 12
  4. Zerotiki at Oasis

[ Edited by: Hang10tiki 2012-06-15 10:45 ]

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 5:04 PM

Great work Wendy, love the way the lava flows, the color of the volcano and of course that little vixen Pele. Looking forward to seeing what you are up to also Sophista-tiki. I best get a movin' and will do a screen print on glass.

Hang10, I'll be there

Cy, very cool idea!

Dawn, love your colors!
Wendy, gorgeous (& the boobies, too!) lol

Whilst Fire/Volcanoes/Pele would not have been my first choice for subject matter, I've enjoyed the challenge of producing something within the remit.

Rather than make a Mug I thought a purely decorative item would fit the remit better.

What to do though?

I was stumped to be honest - my skills at female figures let me down a little, so that was out.

Whilst shopping for palms for my recently landscaped yard at the local Garden centre I saw exactly what I needed for the flash of inspiration...

A 'Green Man' mask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man) - probably the nearest thing to a 'Tiki' in the UK

I use the facilities at the local college for my Ceramics work, so as soon as I was able to attend I 'got stuck in'.

Utilising and significantly altering a blank face mold, here is my interpretation of Pele.

I hope you like her, and she gets wall space in a cool Tiki Room...

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2012-06-13 04:12 ]

Very cool Pikey (or should I say very HOT!)
Either way, I like it a lot
(I'm a poet
And don't even know it) :D

Pikey
That's awesome

Thanks fellers - it looks better in the flesh as the camera flash has matted it - it's much shinier.

Pikey, I like!

Nice work! She'll be a beautiful addition to any tiki space!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jun 14, 2012 8:53 AM

Soulful Pikey, soulful - really nice!

Z

wow,wow,wowee,WOW! Such great stuff!

Me and the Mrs. will be at TO12.

ok, it's a little blurry, but this is my test piece for the art swap. Hope it meets with the other swappers approval. Now on to the main event!
~kele

Very cool Kele, that's an ominous sky there!

Hay Moe
Way kool

BT

Dog and Kele, both very cool.

No picks but I gotta spend a couple more hours and the wheel today. Haven't learned bowls yet but I'm making decent progress.
Just hoping I can get something thrown, glazed and fired in time.

I'm off to Mexico for a couple of weeks and I don't think I'll have much internet access. You guys keep this thread alive for me please :D

Havd fun Mike
Keep an eye out for another Pele skull

I'm looking for Pancho Villa's skull on this trip

PikeysDog that Pele is very "cool".
Kele I love gravel art and your practice piece looks great even though it is blurry.

This is a fun Swap, Wendy

I made a small 8 x 10" piece for the swap, but I'm thinking of going larger with this idea...

Whatcha think?

R-A-D Mel!
RAD!
:)

Very cool, Melekalikimaka!
~kele

Right on...

That's the sexiest Pele I've ever seen. Beautiful, Wendy

This is where I am on my Art Swap piece. I just finished gluing the cord down for the palm tree. I found that if I pin the cord down it is much easier to get it to stay where I want it to be. Next, the volcanic explosion!

I think I just posted my update progress shot in the wrong thread, now I better go looking for it, anyway heres my so far, really Im almost done and the picture doesnt really show how vibrant and deep the color layers are. Im pretty happy with my volcano, BTW Im into the volcano part not the pele part.

oh whew, I posted it on my own thread and not just randomly on someone elses.

Maka, Kele, Sophista
awesome...

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2012-06-26 17:44 ]

T

Almost done.
Oh, I am going with fire on this swap as this light has a flicker flame bulb in it.

Tikiskip, I think you'll draw additional swappers in with that awesome lamp!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2012 2:56 PM

Greetings to my Tiki Central art brothers and sisters -

I just finished my Pele/Fire/Volcano painting this afternoon - this is the piece I will be submitting.

Please allow me to present to you:

"Pele-At-The-Beach #1"
Acrylics on 16" x 20" stretched canvas.
June 6, 2012.

I believe it turned out pretty cool - there's hidden stuff buried in the painting to discover - and the best thing? Its color-wheel activated! The painting reacts differently under different colored light-bulbs (blinking red, green and blue is best - they make the painting "pop"!)

So...I'm finished!! I always look at this thread first when I log into T.C. 'cause its great fun to anticipate all the beautiful creations. All the entries are damn nice and I salute all the artists and craftspeople who have posted so far.

Aloha! G

Mele, Kele, and Dawn = Beautiful work! I stopped by at El Burro Cybercafe to chech Swap progress and I wasnt disappointed!

Skip n TikiG
Great stuff...

Skip, I am LOVING those lamps! I am so in need of floatsam and jetsam for the ceiling of my tiki bar.

All of the works are magificient!

Wow I haven't posted in a while but amazing everything is amazing

T

Yes some great stuff here.
Thanks for the props all.
Will post photos when done.
Hope I don't F!@# it up.

I have mine painted - just need to post some pics. soon.

Starting a bit of vacation... (not much of a change, 'cause I don't work very hard)... but should get me moving on my Pele idea...

DawnAmazing, can't wait to see it finished!
TikiShip
That lamp is fantastic!
TikiG~I had no idea that a human could create such things in a painting... way cool!
& here is my latest progress shot...

Time to start picking out beads.
~kele

ok ..procrastinated long enuff on this..so imagine THIS

in LURID color painted on THIS

and there u have it..will post progress as it is begun

Greg, TikiSkip, & Moondog - very cool! This Swap is shaping up very nicely thans to all of you talented artists!

Started on mine a few days ago, and nearly done. This has been a heck of a lot of fun, so much so that I am pretty certain I will be doing more velvet paintings in the future. I really dig the incredible subtleties you can get with shadows doing velvet, however fun as it is velvet is a VERY unforgiving medium when it comes to mistakes. I am not altogether happy with the anatomy on Pele, but its passable. I usually keep re-working over my mistakes on regular canvas, but you cannot do that with velvet, and I was not aware of the many layers you have to keep building up of the paint. All in all not too shabby for my first velvet painting.

This is the sketch on the velvet using white pencil.

The first stage of painting, I am farther along now and will take pictures shortly.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies