Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies

Jon, drawing out the the Pele skull is a GREAT idea!
Taking a shot after each name is a SUCKY idea! :lol:
I'd be passed out after the second name! :D

Mike, I'm done!

My goddess looks much better with tan skin as opposed to pasty white. Just have to bake her in the oven, then I'll post a pic. She and her volcano will be securely packed in a flat rate box from the post office before I go away and when I return a week from Saturday she will be shipped to my swap partner.

On 2012-07-23 20:33, MadDogMike wrote:
Jonesey, your pictures remind me of the way fight scenes are filmed in movies these days; too close to the action to really tell what's going on :lol:

MDM - The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.

On 2012-07-23 15:08, danlovestikis wrote:
Traveling Jones you know how to grab someones body and twist it until it breaks but in a good way.

Wendy - Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.

MDM- u can do it.....

Lori- sounds great

TJ- awesome

Lori, looking forward to new pics

Jonesy, you are a bit of an enigma to me ~ I only see you post stuff once or twice a year during the Swaps. But you are obviously a talented and creative artist. Do you make non-tiki art that we don't see? Are you making more tiki art and holding out on us? What gives? :D

Alright... I've gettin' to this...

first, I've started with a frame with a nice look:

Next, I've glued together a box to attach to the back of the frame:

Now... here Pele steps in and drops in my lap that which I needed. I'm scrounging around the receiving area of my office and discover some packing for recently purchased computers:

Black foam! Nice lava texture, nice lava color- black all the way through and sculptable!

Now it's taking shape:

And the paint work begins:

But still Pele has not appeared...

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2012-07-31 05:36 ]

Go Bongo!!! Very cool concept.

S

On 2012-07-30 18:28, MadDogMike wrote:

Jonesy, you are a bit of an enigma to me ~ I only see you post stuff once or twice a year during the Swaps. But you are obviously a talented and creative artist. Do you make non-tiki art that we don't see? Are you making more tiki art and holding out on us? What gives? :D

Good question MDM. I agree.

Go bongo go

Bongo, love what you have done so far. I'm a huge fan of 3D art and this looks like fun! MORE! The crowd is screaming for MORE!

-Dale

Pele has arrived... a damaged Coco Joe's is just the thing... cut, glue and a bit more painting... and it is finished:

The top of the back box is removeable to allow light from the top if desired and it can be hung on a wall or placed on a shelf.

I like creating within constraints and this has been a fun and satisfying project. We'll get her wrapped up and ready for shipping to... someone!

Great job Bongo, very dramatic lighting in that first pic.

Awesome job on that Bongo! I agree with Mike and that lighting in the first picture is great! That would be really cool set into a wall so it looks like a flat piece of art at first glance. Where did you get that frame? Did you make that also? Great accent to the whole piece.

So much amazing work to be shared on here. Wish I had the time to create something. Maybe next year after the new house is done I'll get to play too.

-Dale

[ Edited by: littlegiles 2012-08-01 06:21 ]

Awesome

S

Love it Bongo!

Sorry for the crappy photo - working on better pics.

Wendy, your mug is terrific (& nice boobies, too. hee-hee)
MDM, yes, some of the beads are very sparkly, it's nice of you to notice!
Lori, can't wait to see pics of your finished piece.
TravelingJones, that is so cool... a bit difficult to explain, but very cool
Bongo, love what you've created with reused materials
AlohaStation, I'm getting a real vintage vibe from your piece.

Just one week left. Can't wait to see all the finished pieces & especially to see which one will be coming to live with me!
~kele

Tom, it's awesome! She looks pissed, has someone been messing with her volcano?

Deadline is one week from today. Here are the people who I know are participating - please let me know if I am missing anyone

AlohaStation
AnthonyMaye
Badd Tiki
BB Moondog
Bongo Bungalow
Cy
DanLovesTikis
Hang10Tiki
LittleLostTiki
LoriLovesTiki
MadDogMike
Melekalikimaka
Pikeys Dog
SophistaTiki
Tigertail777
TikiG
TikiSkip
Trader Tom
Traveling Jones
WaikikianMoeKele
ZeroTiki

It's not too late for anyone else to join, the project just needs to be finished by the 8th. We could use another person to make an even number :D

BM

gettin there...one more good PUSH and donezo

Looks great Moondog, can’t wait to see her finished. She’s got a bit of a crazy look in her eyes and it’s getting me excited! :lol:

Aloha station-very Kool
Moon dog-lookin great

BT

Nice Bongo, wasn't expecting that at all, looks great.

Aloha, awesome piece, it's very stylized, I dig it.

Moondog, turning out really nice.

My piece(s) is in the Kiln :D

Got to spend a bit of time glazing all my stuff for the end of class today. Got to sit in the advanced classes slip cast demo (I saw the pouring of slip, they made molds last week).
Then I got to paint kiln slip on a ton of shelves and help load the kiln with the instructor, was fun but a lot of work. Really makes me appreciate the last time when I just had pieces fired for me. It probably took us 3 hours to load and we just about got every piece in. (many shelves of plates burned space and shelf pieces)

Anyway...
The kiln will be fired Sat or Sun and we'll most likely be unloading Wed (8/8) night. So I'll probably get finished shots up late that night.
And as a back up I have two more lava bowls in the kiln also, so if something happens I still have two more that someone could have a choice of (though hopefully the intended one makes it, it has 'pele swap' carved in the bottom :) )

The tanned wahine "Volcano Godess!"

and in her volcano:

She's DDDDDOOOOOONNNNEEEEE! Gonna pack her in my flat rate box from the Post Office tomorrow and when I return from my cruise she'll go out in the mail.

A suntan suits her well Lori. But you keep plenty of sunscreen on for the cruise, you're fair-skinned and "healthy tan" is an oxymoron :)

I am so impressed by everyone that I have no favorite, I want them all for Dan's collection. I for one appreciate all the hard work that has been put into these pieces. Thank you MadDogMike for running a great show. Five more days!!! Wendy

I'm going offline next week. I look forward to swapping and will stop by once I'm back.

I'm lovin' it Lori!

Thanks Bongo & Mike!

I've got tons of sunscreen packed and looking forward to a good trip. I'll catch you on the flip side.
:)

******************* :tiki: Waaay coool aaartsy faaartsy ALL! :tiki:*****************

Enigmatic? Nothing to hide hear. Just a bradah tryin' to make his hands dance with his minds eye...

I gotta get crack'n and kick Pele out this weekend! Photo-finish, shoootz?

I got it! :lol: The dimple at the top gave it away

FIRE! FIRE!! FIRE!!!

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 6, 2012 8:01 AM

THAT is art TravelingJones!

BT

That's Hot TJ :D

Smokinnnnnnnn

Too cool, no hot hot hot!!! Wendy

WOW. That is awesome!

On 2012-08-06 10:29, hang10tiki wrote:
Smokinnnnnnnn

Yeah, what Jon said!

Shakin' & bakin'!

Ok, here it is, my finished piece...

Entitled, "Diamond Head Erupting"
Bead Mosaic

When I visited Oahu in 1994 with my now ex-husband & 3 younger daughters for a Community Cable TV Conference we we definitely traveling "on the cheap." Because of this he chose the cheapest housing available which was the University of Hawaii at Manoa. We stayed in an apartment on the 13th floor of a student housing building near what we called the "Jetson Towers", round tower housing. Anyway, for 3 days I was looking out the living room window & seeing what seemed a very familiar view, but I couldn't quite place it. I asked the students at the desk downstairs if there was a famous view up on the 13th floor, but they told me, 'I don't know I've never been up there.' Finally, about day 4, I realized that I had been staring at DIAMOND HEAD for 3 days & did not recognize it! Well, I really enjoyed it for the remainder of our 7 day stay, but to this day whenever ANYONE in my family sees a picture of Diamond Head, they say to me, "what is the name of that mountain?" So this is my tribute to Diamond Head.

Also, during WWII, my father was stationed near Pearl Harbor & he worked in the tunnels that were blasted in the extinct volcanoes (I have a couple pics) & when I visited there, I was thrilled to see the doorways into the hillsides that he had told me about as we traveled. My Dad did not get there until a while after "a day that will live in infamy." Although they were often on high alert, they never were actually in any real danger as somehow the Japanese decided to never again attack the Hawaiian bases. As my father was really into photography, I also have some interestint 'candid' shots of the 'native women' which my mother would never let us view as children! But mostly just candid shots of the soldiers daily life.

Ok, I digress. Here is my finished offering for the Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap.

~kele

Looks very cool! Reminds me of those string/sand art kits from the 70's you would invariably see hanging on every family wall. Really dug the story behind the piece too...I wanna see those "special" photos your dad took of native women. :wink: Sand art (and or bead art) looks easy, but I know from experience it AIN'T. You did a great job! :)

[ Edited by: tigertail777 2012-08-07 02:32 ]

Truly great art comes from the heart, not the hands ~ and this is from your heart :) I had forgotten that Diamond Head was a volcano.

Kele
Great piece and a great story

Official deadline for the Swap is tomorrow at midnight Tiki Central Time (Pacific)

But I won't have time to do the actual draw until I get home from work Thursday afternoon, about 5pm. That will give any stragglers a few extra hours to finish up.

Again, here are the people who I know are participating in the Swap. If you intend to be included and your name is not on this list, be sure to contact me.

AlohaStation
AnthonyMaye
Badd Tiki
BB Moondog
Bongo Bungalow
Cy
DanLovesTikis
Hang10Tiki
LittleLostTiki
LoriLovesTiki
MadDogMike
Melekalikimaka
Pikeys Dog
SophistaTiki
Tigertail777
Tiki Daye?
TikiG
TikiSkip
Trader Tom
Traveling Jones
WaikikianMoeKele
ZeroTiki

Thanks,
Mike

Kele, Dan's dad was stationed there immediately after the strike. They must have been there together. We don't have any photos taken during that time and he has since passed on. We thank your dad for his service to his country.

Your gravel art is beautiful, Wendy

MadDogMike, we are looking forward to the moment you post the result. We'll try to mail that same evening. We love the grocery store post offices that stay open until 9 PM.

So in this swap, are we each getting individual messages on who to send to so that we get to be surprised when a box comes in the mail? (Which is most fun.) Or are all the swapping names going to be posted so that we will already see what's coming? (Which is less fun.) Alright, so I've made my point and Mike is running this show and doing the work, so I'll just be quiet. It's all fun.

Tigertail, those kits (I did have some growing up) are what inspired me. I'll see what I can do about the 'special' photos.
Mike, Hang10tiki & Wendy, thank you for your kind words.
Wendy, my Dad was drafted after the attack, then went thru basic & then was aboard a slow banana boat for the trip from California to Hawaii. After he got there, he was stationed there til after the war was over. So although Dan's father was probably there earlier than mine was, they likely were there at least partly at the same time.

In 'tikifying' the frame on my project, I used bamboo skewers & created 4 small (about 1/2" x 1/2") tiki faces molded using Sculpey 3 & accented with rhinestone eyes. I've never worked with it before, but I think they came out fairly well for a rookie.
~kele

BM

donezo..ready for SWAPPAGE...details tomorrow?

Hi Kele, the frame tikis are very nice, I would love to see a whole view photo. Dan's dad joined the navy but got out at wars end too.

MadDogMike, here's my wish. That each swap would have the photos of the art side by side so I could see who got what in each trade and from whom. That's a big part of the fun.

In the end do what is easiest. See ya soon, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies