Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies

Wendy,
Thank you. The pic at the bottom of page 25 is the whole view, I just did the close ups cuz I figured it was nearly impossible to see the detail on the little corners.
~kele

Bongo, I'm kinda new to this Swap thing :D The few Swaps I have been involved with paired people and they swapped to each other. That's what I had stated at the front and I'll hold to that. I do like the surprise idea though, maybe next time? It would involve everyone sending addresses to the Swap coordinator so that you wouldn't know who has your address, that would be easy enough to do.

Wendy, I think I can pull of the side-by-side pics for you.

List of swap partners to be posted here about 4:30 or 5:00 Thursday! :D

Been kinda busy, but just wanted to say everyone's turned out wonderfully. I especially like how everyone played with different interpretations not only of the subject, but the "lighting" that goes with the idea of magma/lava. I saw the theme go in some really unexpected and surprising directions, and it was really neat to get an idea of how other artist's brains tackled the same subject.

I agree that everyone's pieces are turning out beautifully!

I have good news and bad news about my own submission. The good news is that the two bowls and mugs I made survived their bisque firing with flying colors. The bad news is that due to the kiln schedule I won't be able to get them back from the glaze firing for another week or so.

I was worried about missing the deadline, especially since I'd never used this place before and wasn't sure how scheduling worked. Sorry, guys!

I'll still post pics when I get my stuff back from the kiln, though.

I vote for an extension of time for Trader Tom since his piece is "in the works" & will be done very soon. But, of course, that is just my opinion.
~kele

:tiki: :drink: AMAZING artworkz by ALL! I'm really proud of our tiki community and to participate in Art Swap 2012!! Hana Hou!!! :drink: :tiki:

My entry - Na Iwi O Pele (The Bones of Pele):

...referenced within the sacred texts of an ancient Hawaiian legend, to the broken shards of lava upon the slopes of Maui's Haleakala. Remnants of a terrifying battle between Pele, goddess of fire, and her sister Namakaokahai, goddess of the sea. Defeated and left for dead, Pele escaped to the Big Island, where she lives today. Her "bones", the shards of lava, are a metaphor for Pele's dual nature: mortal and divine, destroyer and creator, desolation and beauty, strength and fragility.

This lamp sculpture was formed with multiple layers of Super Sculpey FIRM, Premo Sculpey cadmium colors and baked in the warm glow of a hot oven. No paint was used on this object. The light is a 15W Kyp-Glo "Balafire" bulb (gold), a retro 70's novelty that flickers and dances like a hot flame captured within a bubble of glass.

Mahalo'z for the kind and encouraging words. This was a lot of fun and I look forward to exchanging with my swap mate, CHEERS! :D

Traveling Jones,
Wow.... absolutely WOW!!!! Amazing!!!! Words can not express!
~kele

how much longer? This will be the highlight of my day and hopefully make up for eating the dogs food for dinner.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL TJ!!! You never did answer my question about your other art endeavors. The only time I can remember seeing your art pieces posted is during the Swaps and they are always amazingly cool. What else do you do in the way of art?

Dawn, the drawing will be held tomorrow afternoon about 4:30 :D

BT

Well, the kiln has been unloaded and my piece is ready.

Not quite as beautiful as I had hoped but I'm still fairly pleased with it. I did a test fill and it holds approximately 24 oz. So you might need to make em strong or fill it more than once :)

Very cool BT. I really like the glaze on the cone, very rustic looking

So many cool contributions!

but Jonesy's just blows me the Feck away!
Daaaaaaaaaaang!

Last minute entry!!
Hopefully just in time.

8"X10" pencil drawing on bristol paper.

Jones/badd/arto- freekin awesome, u guys make my glad I love tiki.......

Swap time!!!!!

2nd post
When I hit submit I yelled "swap time"
Da wife gave me a funny look

I must must re-type

"art swap time"

:)

Anthony, great last minute entry!!!! Happy to have you join us.

Yesterday was my birthday but today I get the present!!!

Wonderful beautiful creative fun art. Wendy

AlohaStation - Pele carving
AnthonyMaye - "Sons of Pele" motorcycle helmet
Artosaurus - "Pele Honua Mea" in pencil
Badd Tiki - Volcano Bowl
BB Moondog - Monkeypod Bowl painting
Bongo Bungalow - Pele Shadowbox
Cy - Queen Pele Glass Print
DanLovesTikis - Volcano Bob Mug
Hang10Tiki - Pele carving
LittleLostTiki - "Bath in the Land of the Volcanoes" painting
LoriLovesTiki - "Volcano Goddess" sculpture
MadDogMike - Volcano mosaic table
Melekalikimaka - "Lava Falls" painting
Pikeys Dog - Pele mask
SophistaTiki - "Dusk Volcano" painting
Tigertail777 - Pele Velvet
TikiG - "Pele at the Beach #1" painting
TikiSkip - Lamp
Traveling Jones - "Na Iwi O Pele (The Bones of Pele)" Lamp
WaikikianMoeKele - "Diamond Head Erupting" bead mosaic
ZeroTiki - "The Fire Bearer" painting

There is one possible late entry, if he makes it before I do the drawing he'll be included.

21 people, I hope we get 1 more entry
:)

Getting down to the wire Jon and I haven't heard from our potential 22nd participant. Just so everyone knows, in the event of an odd number I will pull names in pairs from Pele's Skull. The last 3 names will be swapping in a circle - #19 will send to #20, #20 to #21, and #21 to #19

Gee, it would be fun to be part of a three way... art swap!
~kele

First of all, let me say a big THANK YOU for participating and for allowing me to lead this fine crew of artists :)

Now here is the moment you have been waiting for ~ may I have the envelope please?

Here are the Swap Partners;
Melekalikimaka's "Lava Falls" painting & AlohaStation's Pele carving

Traveling Jones' "Na Iwi O Pele (The Bones of Pele)" lamp & Badd Tiki's Volcano Bowl

Zero Tiki's "The Fire Bearer" painting & Artosaurus' "Pele Honua Mea" in pencil

MadDog Mike's Volcano mosaic table & Hang10Tiki's Pele/Volcano carving

Bongo Bungalow's Pele shadowbox & Tiki Skip's Fire lamp

TigerTail777's Velvet Pele & Pikey's Dog's Pele mask

Sophista-Tiki "Dusk Volcano" painting & LoriLovesTiki's "Volcano Goddess" sculpture

LittleLostTiki's "Bath in the Land of the Volcanoes" painting & WaikikianMoeKele's "Diamond Head Erupting" bead mosaic

DanLovesTikis' Pele mug & Cy's Queen Pele on glass

BB Moondog's Monkeypod bowl painting & AnthonyMaye's "Sons of Pele" helmet

Final count came to 20. Send a PM to your Swap Partner and get mailing addresses, pack fragile pieces well and ship as soon as possible ~ your partner is anxiously awaiting your masterpiece. It would be nice if you would post a picture of your newly adopted art in it's new environment

I'm getting better at barely getting by

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-09 18:30 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-28 18:23 ]

Mike that was super fun to view. Thank you for your hard work begining to end. See you soon. You Rock, Wendy

Wow this was awesome...Fun watching everyone's ideas come to life...
I got a MadDogMike original, sweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!
Mike, it will be an honor to place your piece in "The Honu Hideaway"

Jon

1. MAHALO'z Mike for hosting TCAS Summer 2012! Lotsa fun for all!! 8)

Badd Tiki and I are locked & loaded for da killah exchange!!! Shaka shoootz...

BT

Awesome swap everyone, glad I participated again.

Great seeing all the art on one page too, Hot stuff all around!

T

Thanks Mike and all art type people in this.
Very cool idea.
Bongo Bungalow so glad this light is going your way.
Can't wait to put your artwork up in the Ohana Be Gonna lounge.

Z

ROCKIN'!
Mister saurus, will you be attending this year's Oasis for a postage-free exchange, or must we involve the agents of P.O.S.T.A.L.?

~Zero

It's gonna have to be the post, Zero.

ARRSOME!
yet another great swap!

Fantastic!

Cant wait to see it in person. This was amazing, my first swap and with such wonderful people and art. Thanks Everybody!

Mike, mahalo nui loa for running this art swap. You did a wonderful job!
& I can't wait (jumping up & down, ok, it's not pretty, but I'm excited) til I actually have LittleLostTiki's "Bath in the Land of the Volcanoes" painting in my hot little hands!
~kele

Yeah Thanks Mike it was a fun swap! Sorry Pikey I am not hanging that in my bedroom those black eyes would stare at me all night and creep me out.:lol:
Never fear though I will find a place to hang it with pride. :)

I don't have any kind of hanger on velvet Pele, let me know if you want one put on there and what kind. :wink:

I just got home from vacation and am super stoked to have SophistaTiki as my swap partner. PMing her now for address info!

Thanks again Mike for organizing! And for everyone for participating. Tons of great art here!!!!

a note to TikiG...sent you a PM about addressing & mailing..its ready to go...if u are @ Oasis then thats a good reason not to have got back to me..got an idea for next one..how bout martin Denny commemorative art?

Moondog, there's a list on page one of possible Swap themes we were kicking around. The Martin Denny idea is a good one, I added it to the list for next time.

I'm back from vacation and stoked about my new painting. Melekalikimaka - have fun on your trip and get in touch with me when you get back. I'll get some new photos posted soon.

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2012 9:03 PM

Thanks a lot Mike for putting together this fun event, can't wait to see Wendy's Pele mug in person!

Alohastation,

Actually, there is a bonus painting to go with the one you see here. It's an 8 x 10 done in the same styiling, was kind of a 'study' and has the face of Pele' in the steam of the volcano.

I totally dig the carving and have the perfect shelf location for it!

I'll be returning home on 8/28 (yes, it's a nice, long trip). I'll then send you my address info.

Thanks to Mike for being the M.C. of this swap.

Mahalo

(off to D.C. and Baltimore tomorrow, then it's on to Florida for a pre-cruise day at Disney World, then off to The Bahamas!!)

T

Hey just got BBs wall hangin diorama art!
Looks great!
Here's where it sits.
Kinda looks like my friends sister Buffy.
Thanks BB!!!!

That's QUICK! Looks great you your wall too

PS, can you introduce me to your friend's sister? :D

Wow
That was fast
Looks great
Glad the post office went easy on it

Oasis swap...

Mike, it was great to see you again...

Your mosaic table piece is even more awesome in person...and freekin heavy!

Jon, thanks for posting those pics :)

It was indeed good to see you again and great to swap with you at OASIS!!!. As is usually the case, photos just didn't do justice to your carving. The colors are great, both the paint and the natural beauty of the wood. And I thought mesquite was only good for cooking big fat steaks! :lol:

artosaurus - could you PM me your address? I have sent you my address, as it has changed since the last swap.

Zero

Tikiskip, please excuse this lousy photo of the fantastic lamp you crafted for me. But I just had to get a picture out to the tiki faithful. Love this lamp as much as any normally adjusted male can love a hanging electrical device... (Did I just say that?) Thanks again Skip for the lamp and for the "extras".

sent my piece last week. It should have arrived on the east coast. If not yet, today or tomorow.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies