Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies

T
TikiG posted on Fri, May 4, 2012 2:05 PM

"...you may end up with some crap from MadDogMike..." LOL! I don't know about anyone else, but that would be an HONOR for ME!

Now to go to work figuring out a nice image to paint for y'all. I like the volcano theme a lot and (like MDM says) my approach again will be "unorthodox" but also plenty of fun.

To all newcomers - please join in on the fun and don't hesitate for a second. I've met some really nice people and have cultivated life-long friendships here because of various art swaps in the past - of course the icing is that your art will be/is appreciated by the audience it was created for - us!!

Thanks again MDM for your organizing efforts. Cheers! G

T

"Size only matters when it comes to shipping"
That's not what the ladies say.

And if you get my "Art" you may sell it if you can, or paint it, do what you want it is yours.

Alright, I'm totally exposing myself here. When I first started participating in the art swaps I was totally intimidated, thinking that no one would want my "art." But everyone on TikiCentral has been so accepting of me & my "art." No one has ever dismissed me as being less of an artist. This is something that I am totally thrilled with. TikiCentral has let me accept my talent.

T

I think of light making as more of a craft than saying it's art.
So my "art" thing was a dig on myself only.
Never have thought of myself as an artist.
I'm sure all will be fine, never remember any fights over
what somone got.

So who's in?

It's traditional to post some pictures of the Swap subject matter for inspiration, I thought I would try something new. With Pablus' permission, I have made a video for The Crazed Mug's "But Kilauea". I find this song very inspirational
http://youtu.be/hCVLt28o5hQ

Nice Mike! That's one of my favorite tracks on that record!

WC

You'll never go hungry, Mike.
Truly inspiring.

Z

On 2012-05-04 19:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
Alright, I'm totally exposing myself here. When I first started participating in the art swaps I was totally intimidated, thinking that no one would want my "art." But everyone on TikiCentral has been so accepting of me & my "art." No one has ever dismissed me as being less of an artist. This is something that I am totally thrilled with. TikiCentral has let me accept my talent.

I heard that first swap you got paired with some long-haired weirdo of ill-repute!
:wink:

The best fires start in the darkness.
~Zero

On 2012-05-05 09:55, ZeroTiki wrote:

On 2012-05-04 19:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:

I heard that first swap you got paired with some long-haired weirdo of ill-repute!
:wink:

The best fires start in the darkness.
~Zero

I've met some of the nicest wierdos in the world here on TikiCentral! :wink: :lol:

WC

This depicts a carving of Pele
in his younger days, 1825,
when he hung out in the royal sacred enclosure
in Karakakua, Hawaii.
Today you'll find him at the British Museum,London.
Looks to me like he's taken a good beating.
Hair missing, feet broke off.
Mother of pearl eye missing.
Must be a tuff job keeping track of volcanoes.
I will predate this when he was a younger god
in a more fit shape.

Very cool Will. Maybe you can build a Bic lighter into it's open mouth and make it a cigar lighter :wink:

I have been enjoying making mosaic tables. I want to make this with the volcano & the jungle out of ceramic tile and the lava & sunset out of stained glass tiles. Then light it from underneath so the sky and volcano glow at night

The table folds up so that it can be shipped, hopefully the finished product will look much better than my quick sketch :D

C
cy posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 9:46 AM

I'm confused, isn't Pele the Goddess of lightning, volcanos, thunder, etc? ( i.e. he's a she)

Z

Some progress:

(disregatd the tki coffin..... completely different thing)
~Zero

ZeroTiki gets the prize for being the first one out of the starting gate. Is that a bowlful of lava fire or rum fire?

On 2012-05-06 09:46, cy wrote:
I'm confused, isn't Pele the Goddess of lightning, volcanos, thunder, etc? ( i.e. he's a she)

Yes, Pele is a Goddess. But this figure is still inspired by Pele ~ "In an article in Man, February 1932, Harry Beasley suggests that the figure is connected to Pele, goddess of volcanoes" Maybe Pele's lover? You have to respect a man who has the coconuts to do the horizontal hula with the Volcano Goddess! :o

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-06 14:38 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 3:57 PM

Thanks for the clarification 'cause if Pele were a dude my swap idea would not work out so well. Great start zero!

[ Edited by: cy 2012-05-06 16:00 ]

Z

On 2012-05-06 14:26, MadDogMike wrote:
Is that a bowlful of lava fire or rum fire?

Yes.

I wasn't too thrilled with the Pele theme, but, I have since changed my mind and can't wait to finish what I have started. This has sitting around in my box of rejects. It now has a new purpose - lets see if I can pull off what I have in mind??

WC

Sorry Man,
Chick looks like a dude.
My bad.

I'm in

M
mp posted on Mon, May 7, 2012 8:54 PM

I want In!!!!!!

Great start Tom! Glad you're in :D

Researching... Pele... volcano... fire... making my head hurt...
Broke a tooth on Saturday night, finally got it filled today, so now I can go back to concentrating on what is important, namely, the Tiki Art Swap!

Thinking of a couple things for mine.... possibly trying my hand at black velvet painting if I can find the proper velvet and its not too expensive. I wonder though if water mixable oils will work on it the same way as regular oils? I can't use plain oil paints because of my athsma/allergies. I don't suppose acrylic would work as well would it? Anyone know what would work, and where to get said velvet at a decent price?

BM

i want a piece of this SWEET ACTION..

will do a monkeypod dish similar in style to these

Kele, glad you're back on track.
Tiger, I'm afraid I'm of no help there. My only painting experience is with latex paint and a roller.
Moondoggie, welcome aboard!

M
mp posted on Wed, May 9, 2012 10:54 PM

On 2012-05-08 19:19, tigertail777 wrote:
Thinking of a couple things for mine.... possibly trying my hand at black velvet painting if I can find the proper velvet and its not too expensive. I wonder though if water mixable oils will work on it the same way as regular oils? I can't use plain oil paints because of my athsma/allergies. I don't suppose acrylic would work as well would it? Anyone know what would work, and where to get said velvet at a decent price?
[/quote

Tigertail, You can use any type of paint you want on velvet. One thing to remember when painting velvets is how do you want to
approach it. Velvet painters like Leeteg or Heather Watts apply several light coats to the velvet building up opacity. This style of painting is time consuming,
needs tons of patience, but is well worth it. The Tijuanna velvet style is quicker where paint is literally flooded or jammed into the velvet for fast opacity and impact.
Either way I would suggest acrylic paint as it dries fast and you can move forward quickly. Blending paint extensively on velvet fabric can turn muddy and mess with the nap of your fabric if it is on the taller side. I do some velvets but still havnt found a great velvet I like yet so I use velveteen. It has a nice short, thick nap that paint sits on top of nicely. Just go to your Joanns or local fabric store and get some black velveteen. i think its about 7 to 10 dollars a yard. I think a good way to start is cut up squares and practice. Dont worry about your painting at first just get a good feel for how the paint goes down and go from there.
I hope this helps and good luck, MP

Thanks MP that helps a lot! Velveteen sounds kind of like flocked ribbon (you know like those really wide red "velvet" ribbons you can get at Christmas) which if it is anything like that, would be a heck of lot easier to work with. Really appreciate the tips and am very relieved to hear acrylic will work knowing how very slow oils dry. I am excited to try this I have never even attempted doing velvet paintings before. :)

Z

The glow has started to rise..

I'm thinking about doing an MCM gravel art kind of thing. Hope that's cool with everybody.

lets get started...

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2012-05-10 21:02 ]

I like the look of progress! Zero, looking good! Kele, bring it on! H10, that looks like mesquite?

~~The red heat from the volcano begins to consume...

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2012-05-10 22:20 ]

On 2012-05-10 20:10, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
I'm thinking about doing an MCM gravel art kind of thing. Hope that's cool with everybody.

sqeee! yes please!

Z

...a moment of darkness obsures the features, as the offering is readied...

Z

The moon's light calms Pele...

Z

soothing those who deliver her warming fire.

Sweet Zero! I swear I'm working on a Pele appetizer, but I can't post any pictures until it's done :D Maybe Tuesday?

I bought a few yards of veleveteen, now I just gotta cut some swatches to play with and see what works. :)

ZeroTiki your mind is free of convention and works out art without reserve. It's so much fun to watch you create.

I've figured out what I will do for this swap and soon I'll start. Cheers, Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Mon, May 14, 2012 8:39 AM

Aloha!

Here's a little something I did over the weekend, pretty much a study for another piece I think - or I may submit this one for the swap, I'm not sure yet. If there is positive response to this piece then what the hell, I've finished my swap piece three months early!

"Pele Takes A Stroll"
Acrylics on 11" x 14" stretched canvas.
May 14, 2012

Hope you dig it! Cheers! G

Looks great Greg! Very good job with the lava cooling in the foreground with just bits of fire showing. Why did Kilauea cross the Chain of Craters road?

I'm thinking outside the box - can my Swap project be a rack of ribs smoked over lava rocks, seasoned with red Hawaiian sea salt and glazed with manjo salsa? OK, maybe not :D

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-14 10:14 ]

so I'm thinking what to use for the art swap. and need inspiration so.

and then i remember i had a helmet that would make a awesome canvass so.

now that that part is done its on to the tikafiying this thing out I'm so stoked!!

heres a better pic

Anthony Maye

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-05-14 13:03 ]

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-05-14 13:03 ]

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-05-14 13:04 ]

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-05-14 13:10 ]

Since the theme is Pele/Fire/Volcano, I'm thinkin' I'll just lite a piece of wood on fire and draw a face on it...
That'll work, right? :wink:

M

On 2012-05-14 09:54, MadDogMike wrote:
I'm thinking outside the box - can my Swap project be a rack of ribs smoked over lava rocks, seasoned with red Hawaiian sea salt and glazed with manjo salsa? OK, maybe not :D

Yes please! Or maybe I should have a chop so you can bring those, or some other strange concoction.

Thanks for starting this, I'm getting inspired, which hasn't happened much lately.

Wendy - I can't wait to see what you cook up
Anthony - those are some cool flames, I don't think we've ever had a Art Swap motorcycle helmet!
Tiki Lee - sound great, but it HAS to arrive to the recipient ON FIRE! :D
Meiko - happy to see you, glad we could stir some inspiration for you. I think it is about time for another Chop

I must confess that there is a reason why I chose the Pele theme for the Art Swap, the Volcano Goddess holds a special place in my heart. Years ago, while hiking near Na'alehu on the southern slopes Mauna Loa, I ran across an old run-down hut in a clearing. I could see smoke from the cook fire so I shouted "Aloha" and out came a very ancient looking man. We talked for a while, he told me he had been a kahuna at the ‘Iolani Palace before the invasion of the haoles. That he had moved to this remote area to find some peace. Then he lowered his voice and looked around - "There's something I want to show you" he said and motioned me into his hut.

Once inside the dark and smoky hut he handed me something round and hard. As my eyes adjusted, I could see that it was a human skull! He whispered "This is the actual skull of the goddess Pele". I examined the object in my hands, it was smooth black snowflake obsidian with traces of lava flowing down the sides. From the fissures and the hollow eye sockets emanated an orange glow and it was warm to the touch. “It won’t be long now until I go to live with the ancestors” the aged one told me “I can sell it to you for $100”

How could I pass up a chance to own the real skull of Pele!? He even had a certificate of authenticity from the Territory of Hawaii Bureau of Antiquities dated 1932. I paid him, packed the skull carefully in my backpack and brought it home where I displayed it proudly.

Last year, I was back in Hawai’i and found the dilapidated grass shack again. There was still smoke coming from the hut so I called out and the wizened old man came forth. He hadn’t changed a bit, still looking not a day younger than 150. I could tell he didn’t remember me as he told me his story and invited me into his hut again. He handed me another skull and said “This is the actual skull of the goddess Pele”. “Wait a minute” I said “When I was here several years ago you sold me the ‘actual skull of the goddess Pele’ for a hundred bucks and it was much larger than this one”. “Yes” he said “I know, this is the skull of Pele when she was just a little girl”. :lol:

OK, this isn’t really a Swap project ~ just a little something for inspiration and entertainment. In full disclosure, this isn’t my sculpt; this skull was a quickie formed over a Halloween foam skull and then modified.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-15 08:47 ]

Cool story Mike - what you missed was that on the other side of the hut was a big neon sign that read "Big Kahuna's Collectibles". :wink:

Here's where I am. Retrieved another reject out of the box and started to finish it up. This one was previously rejected because the wood grain going the wrong way for optimal carving. It was a struggle but I managed to get some nice features on her.

Wow wow wow, this is so much fun. I hope to start on mine tonight. You men are rocking the swap.

What happened? I can't see the posts without scanning back and forth and that's a bummer for trying to read long posts like MDM's. I have a 17 inch screen but I can only see 2/3rds.

Typing here is normal right now. Oh well, Wendy

Wendy, I messed it up! The row of asterisks I used for a border was too long so I fixed it and it displays right now.

Tom, she's lookin' GREAT!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-15 08:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies