Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Somethings Off?

Pages: 1 28 replies

Something has been off for me when I get onto TC. I say it's Sven's absence from socal. When ya coming back?

Danny,

I, as well as a few others, have noticed the same thing. Something is lacking in the substance of the posts (ie 'Help me name my wanker' etc). (?).

On 2003-06-17 09:00, Tiki_Bong wrote:
'Help me name my wanker'

How about "Li'l Bong" or "One Hitter"?

:wink:

-Mug

How about "Evil Bastard."

On 2003-06-17 09:08, TheMuggler wrote:

On 2003-06-17 09:00, Tiki_Bong wrote:
'Help me name my wanker'

How about "Li'l Bong" or "One Hitter"?

-Mug

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bong,

Exactly what kind of content are you looking for? Do you want political dissertations, child rearing tips, and weather reports?????

I think you were trying to be complimentary to Sven and in the process have to insult people who solicit Tiki Central for ideas that you do not consider worthy (i.e.- ME)

Why is that?

Monkeyman

*On 2003-06-17 09:48, PolynesianPop wrote:*How about "Evil Bastard."

I think it might be a Suffering Bastard.

ooops did i say that out loud :wink:

On 2003-06-17 11:24, Monkeyman wrote:
Bong,

Exactly what kind of content are you looking for? Do you want political dissertations, child rearing tips, and weather reports?????

I think you were trying to be complimentary to Sven and in the process have to insult people who solicit Tiki Central for ideas that you do not consider worthy (i.e.- ME)

Why is that?

Monkeyman

Lighten up my simian friend, I could name names, but I wasnt' the one that originally used the "help me name this or that" post(s) as an example of what's happened to posts lately (but you do know that certain TC member!).

Look at my inane posts. I just pulled that out for the f$*& of it. I don't care what the intellectual content of posts is - I'm into humor! Now laugh!

I agree, who cares about all these 'cool/ uncool' posts? I log on to learn more about tiki and the past as it deals with tiki. Sabu still delivers quality posts pretty much every time. I miss not having Sven's knowledge to answer questions for us. What happened to the urban archeology or the discussion about old bars/ restaurants? Even this post inadvertenly turned into a 'name my whatever' post.

Have we discussed everything to the point that there's nothing new to talk about? I'm probably guilty of it too, but what I've been reading lately is just a lot of fluff.

Ok, ok, I'm lighter and I'm laughing

bah hah hah

I think that some of what we may be seeing diminish is the availability of new information. When you spend as many hours a week as I do learning about this kind of mask, or that kind of mug and the defunct restaurant it came from eventually you run out of new info. If a newbie is intuitive, they will search the archives for old info and therefore may not ask the tried and true questions which are the essence of this group.

When I have a book in hand like "Tiki Roadtrip" I don't need to ask what bars existed in CA or TX or wherever because I have an all inclusive book that tells me.

When the info is old, what do you have left? Just the people. We need to enjoy interacting with eachother or we will stop visiting TC. I think that the events that we are able to mutually attend are a really cool way of making an internet freindship a REAL freind.

A great example of the community here is my upcoming business trip to Washington DC. I am going to a city that I have never been and do not know anyone. Via this internet community I am meeting up with some TC people in DC because of a common interest. They have offered to meet me for dinner and or drinks and perhaps show us around a little.

When I tell my co workers about stuff like that it blows their mind. It instills complete jealousy.

ramble, ramble, ramble

Monkeyman

I'm with you, Monkeyman. It just seems like we've been feasting on Tiki and new finds seem to come up with less and less regularity. Amazing stuff is certainly still out there - Sabu comes up with the goods every time.

Yet, Tiki Central is as 'healthy' as it's ever been. Just look at the number of posts per day compared to a year ago. But saying that, perhaps it's because of the deluge of posts that we are no longer able to savour each post, or even each thread. I check Tiki Central most days, but if I've been away a couple of days, it feels like I've lost 2 dozen topics to the ether.

What's the solution? Hmmm, not too sure really. Perhaps we could all try to nip some of our more pointless posts in the bud and and ask ourselves "Is this really of any interest to anybody?" I certainly could do a bit of self editing! I was shouted down a while back by Bong & Pop when I pointed out that having the number of posts next to your name only encouraged pointless posting. It must be said, nobody else seemed to be against it. (Now that you've broken your 1000 guys, I'm sure you don't mind me saying that)

There's life in the old dog yet, though, so ideas such as the International Day of Tiki, having Shecky go round the world, and creating new Tiki Central merch go a way to keeping it fresh. We can't all find a new Tiki bar every day, but you can all think up new ideas to keep the Moai spinning.

Trader Woody

B

On 2003-06-17 12:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Lighten up my simian friend, I could name names, but I wasnt' the one that originally used the "help me name this or that" post(s) as an example of what's happened to posts lately (but you do know that certain TC member!).

Look at my inane posts. I just pulled that out for the f$*& of it. I don't care what the intellectual content of posts is - I'm into humor! Now laugh!

So wait, was it aimed at me?

Very good points Monkey and Woody. I sure get sick of wading through pointless posts but at the same time, you're right, we can't find a new bar or tiki everyday. I just hope we keep finding and learning about new stuff. Without that happening, this just becomes a social board.

T

I personally think TC has been great lately. A few examples:

Sabu's and Puamana's weekly showcases from their collection of postcards and menus.

News of the reopening of Chin Tiki and a new tiki bar in the Bay Area.

Upcoming Exotica event in Chicago and the loads of other recent events, big and small, to choose from.

Better performance of TC lately thanks to Hanford.

Sure, one has to wade through the chatting sometimes, and I miss bigbrotiki too, but what's there to really complain about?

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the social side of TC otherwise this would be like a mathematics chat group. I don't want to read an encyclopedia everyday about the facts and history of tiki this and tiki that.

I was barely alive when the first Tiki revolution expired but as far as I can tell, it was completely about socialization.

Any theme/movement/cult/group that is based on phony tribal artifacts arranged in a contrived islander environment for the sole purpose of drinking and having fun is all about socialization.

Why shouldn't this message board emulate what Tiki is all about.

The ongoing benefit that we all enjoy is other people who have similar interests. I used to frequent another yahoo group for my VW Jetta. My goal was to get tips and advice for upgrades, troubleshooting etc from other VW owners. It was a very sterile and factual environment. I would have never been interested in hanging out with these people.

On the other hand, I am always interested in meeting TC folk. Almost everyone seems real nice, down to earth, intelligent, and makes choices based on what they like not what they think is cool. The Tropics event was a great example of the wonderful feeling of community we enjoy.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.....

Monkeyman

I've been noticing something missing, too, but it's not substance, it's civility. Seems like a lot of folks are really cranky these days, and there have been numerous cases of people misinterpreting posts and reacting strongly. I can't help but wonder if we ALL need to lighten up a little, myself included...

T

On 2003-06-17 18:22, TikiMaxton wrote:
I've been noticing something missing, too, but it's not substance, it's civility. Seems like a lot of folks are really cranky these days, and there have been numerous cases of people misinterpreting posts and reacting strongly. I can't help but wonder if we ALL need to lighten up a little, myself included...

I'M NOT CRANKY!!!!! G@*DA#& IT!!

Screw you, Maxton!

On 2003-06-17 15:26, Trader Woody wrote:
I'm with you, Monkeyman. It just seems like we've been feasting on Tiki and new finds seem to come up with less and less regularity. Amazing stuff is certainly still out there - Sabu comes up with the goods every time.
.....Now, there's no crankiness here as long as I have good food and booze (a pint of best bitter and some good old Stilton :) ), but on the tiki stuff-Come on, man...There is SOOOOO much stuff out there. We haven't even scratched the surface yet. It's everywhere, you just have to beat the bushes hard for it.

More pictures! More pictures! Everyone likes to look at pictures! Naw, that would be great, but every site has its slow day and weeks... you guys should try to talk about surfing the Great Lakes when you're going through the typical late spring three month flat spell... Our Lake Surf chat is full of inane crap lately... I'm going nuts not getting any surf... Bong... send some waves our way!

"We can't all find a new Tiki bar every day, but you can all think up new ideas to keep the Moai spinning."

People, People, relax and mix up a mai tai! I think you have all found the past and now you must deal/find the future. You are all the future of tiki! I build an average of 3 (portable) tiki bars a week. An average of 6 bar/restaurants a year. And, countless home interiors. Tiki is everywhere!! The future is good! Think about it. You all know a certain percentage more, than the Target shopper buying the tiki soap on a rope! Enjoy tiki and enjoy how it is world wide! Mix another mai tai......

p.s. Who is Sven? I thought he was just some dude who's face was on a zerox that misses out on all the cool parties!! Does this Sven actually ever post on TC?

I too think Tiki Central is better than ever. Tiki was the reason I came here, but it's the endless observations and wit of the general membership that keep me coming back (also I have weird and disturbing crushes on ____, _____, and _____). It is odd though that such clever and seemingly laid back peoples can get their noses bent out of shape so easily. I mean, come on...What a bunch of woosies.
As for supposed "pointless posts", I say let the market decide. A lot of posts get few reads and no responses, obviously those are the ones of no interest to others, or everyone knows the person posting is just a loser. Still, I'd hate for anyone, even a loser, to not post a question or observation for fear others will think it's pointless.

PS: I was joking about the "loser", and "woosies" comments. And the crushes on ____, and _____. But not the crush on ______.

On 2003-06-17 17:13, Luckydesigns wrote:
I just hope we keep finding and learning about new stuff. Without that happening, this just becomes a social board.

Hey what's wrong with the social side of this board? Comon' Spike! I know you don't come here just to get educated in tiki - I know you come here for social reasons too. It's the same reason I come back everyday. TC is the only place where people understand my obsession with this thing called TIKI and as such, I've made great friends here because of it.

I think Monkeyman has the right idea when he says that some of what we may be seeing diminish is the availability of new information. We've become hungry for it because we got so accustomed to receiving it.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-06-18 08:44 ]

On 2003-06-17 22:44, Lake Surfer wrote:
Bong... send some waves our way!

Lakesurfer,

The South swell is finally starting to happen here. We also had a dry spell a few months back. Water temp is in the mid 60's and I'm thinking about pulling out the Spring suit this weekend (I now I sound like a wimp not trunking it in 65 degree water).

I am still impressed with you lake surfers though. I love to tell your story to the locals here that didn't know people surf the Great Lakes.

If you can make it out here, let me know and we'll hit a few of my favorite, although not secret, spots.

Your right Pop, I think I took a very one sided point when I posted that. I've met alot of great friends through TC, so for me to say that the social aspect doesn't matter is pretty retarded. Thanks for bringing me home. I just need to filter out the topics that are of less interest to me.

PS: I was joking about the "loser", and "woosies" comments. And the crushes on ____, and _____. But not the crush on ______.

Come on, make things more interesting. Name names! I wanna know who you think is crush-worthy. :)

Bong... share this one with your salt water buds...

Bob Tema. L-Train. Photo: Brian Stabinger

Some freshwater stoke from Lake Superior!

Would love a few sessions with a local heavy... might keep the stink eye to a minimum...!

Aloha!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-06-18 13:17 ]

MB

Nevermind.
Mrs. Bamboo

[ Edited by: Mrs. B on 2003-06-25 00:11 ]

Pages: 1 28 replies