Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Gator Hut & Lori's Tiki Bar - concrete Moia page4

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

M
Murph posted on Sun, Jul 14, 2013 1:28 PM

On 2013-07-04 20:36, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I also wanted to mention that I finally made two fake fishing float lights. I really wanted a Tiki Skip one but I had these two plastic globes I bought for our outdoor light poles that I couldn't use b/c they had seams in them that were taking up space in the garage and taunting me with my mistake. (They were non-returnable.) So I was going to attempt weaving a net for them when Murph posted that he used a cotton basketball net. It took me a little while to find a couple online but I got them, dyed them with a bunch of teabags to make them less white and bought a pendant light kit from the home improvement store. And also, cause I'm lazy and kind of in a rush I used colored light bulbs instead of trying to tint poly and paint the inside of the globes.

I put one in the bar and one in the hut. They won't pass the authentic test but I'm happy with them and all of my house guests won't know the difference! I'd prefer to have one of Skip's lights but these I made myself, didn't cost a lot of $ and most importantly reused something that was garbage to me and taking up space.

Thanks Murph!!!
Edited to add that the light isn't so bright in person. It's a nice green glow....
:)Lori

You're welcome! It looks great....They're a fun and simple thing to make for your tiki bar.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 14, 2013 3:14 PM

PARTY AT LORI'S PLACE!!!

Stunning aerial view of your yard, it is delightful. Cheery and inviting. You are doing a great job...keep up the Tikifying!!!

Thanks Vampiress! And GROG, any time you want to party, I'll host! I keep thinking about that line from Field of Dreams - "If you build it, they will come." Maybe one day there will be a West Coast invasion of my yard. How cool would that be?!?!?

Mahalo!

Great pic Lori and I love the look of the whole backyard. Now you have me wanting to climb up on the roof of my house and take a picture. now where is that ladder? Hmmmm....

• Dale

That's one great looking oasis...

Jon

Thanks guys!

Dale - don't go up on the roof! Unless it's flat!

No worries Lori, not a flat roof, but its a ranch with a low pitch. :)

• Dale

I love the boardwalk that you added. It's been really cool watching it all come together.

Thanks Lori! After our trip to Hawaii next month I'll add pictures with all our new "stuff" in place. I've been dreaming of all the shopping I will do!!!!

Long time, no updates. Sorry about that!

Although we had a blast in Hawaii we didn't bring home much in terms of decorations. Several sweet mugs but not a lot that added to our tiki backyard decor.

A few weeks ago my husband surprised me with his plans to create a concrete tiki for me. :) It's almost done. He built the frame in one day, added Tyvek and wire mesh during the week and then did concrete this weekend, Friday, Saturday and this morning. He's planning on moving it into it's final location (the sucker is HEAVY now, probably about 180 lbs) and then give it a final coat, some color and concrete sealer. As long as it holds up we might make another style tiki since this project cost about $50, way less than a wood tiki!

I'll add some step-by-steps in Creating tiki for anyone who is interested.

Very nice Lori. Looking forward to the step by step.
David

Lori- awesome
That looks huge
Hope you don't have to move him to far
Looks good
:)

Jon,

We used a hand truck today to move him him from one side of the pool to the other so he'd be up against the bar and under it's roof because they are predicting high winds and we are overly cautious. You wouldn't want to lift him though.

Lookin forward to a pic of him in his new spot

I would love to hang out in your backyard. Wendy

Jon - it was too cold & windy today to put a final coat on him. He suffered a little crack when being moved. He also needs a mouth. Next weekend we should finish him up and I'll take a picture of him. Although it will be another 6 weeks or so before he will be joined by some patio palms....

Wendy, if you're ever in New Jersey I'd love to have you and Dan as guests!

This all looks awesome!

Thanks Cap'n Crafty!

I'm so excited all my pictures are here! When we want to show someone our backyard I always use this thread. Time for a refresh this spring and some new pictures. Yeah TC!

Pages: 1 2 67 replies