Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2012 1:10 PM

And on Monkey Man's point... Even with a 4 gang in the ceiling on a switch, to "turn on" the bar, I must:

1. Hit dimmer switch for lights on mug shelf.
  2. Flip power strip behind chair A
  3. Flip power strip behind chair B
  4. Flip power strip beside couch
  5. Flip inline switch beside couch
  6. Flip power strip under bar
  7. Flip light switch behind bar
  8. Turn on home theater
  9. Hit remote for under bar lights
  10. Hit switch for LED lights in the thatch

And I have consolidated A LOT of stuff to those power strips! Everything I could I put on power strips and attached them into the overheard switch. My last step may be to install a bunch of clappers!

How many things do you turn on to get your bar going?

M
  1. Wireless Remote that controls Two Plugs on the same frequency. It controls the lights over my bar, the rope lights on the mug shelves, the colored lights on the floor by the tiki.

2. Switched Outlet for two table lamps

3. Multi Speed Fan Switch for the Fan

4. Single Light switch for all 12 outlets in the ceiling

5. Single Programmed Multi Remote that turns on the TV, the Apple TV, the Receiver/Stereo

6. Light switch on the back of the bar that turns on the lights under the front rail of the bar.

Only 2 switches in the Desert Oasis Room. 1 for the electrical grid I installed on the ceiling in the main room (32 outlets) and 1 for the electrical grid I installed on the ceiling over the bar area (12 outlets). No power strips or extension cords anywhere.

Here's a link to how I did it (about halfway down the page):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=43365&forum=20&start=30

**Poly-Pop ***

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop 2012-08-11 16:06 ]

M
Murph posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2012 9:01 PM

I switched all my outlets to wireless remote control so now instead of flipping on 10 individual powerstrips I can just flip all the lights, fountains, fans, stereo and computer on with a handheld wireless remote control... might be the best thing I've put in the Womb... maybe even better than the extra large Hula Lamp :D

T

WOW!!! Polynesian Pop great job on that space.
Good job running the conduit, thanks for postin that.
And Murph I did not know of those switches before now.
I could put those to use in my home.
At this time I think I have like two switches to flip, and 5 other plug ins.

Here's a tip hate cleaning those brushes after painting or shellacing?
Don't do it then, Just wrap them air tight with plastic wrap.
Then store them in the fridge.
You can keep these brushes in the fridge for a month or so, but if you use them
then wrap and put them back in the fridge I have had brushes in there still good for over a year.

Was just surfing around and found this site. Might help someone with an idea for re-purposing a cabinet.
http://barmoires.com/

I liked these two the best.

Great tips!

Got any for tackling a ceiling, yours is way cool.

T

Nice Vamp, I like the second one best.
And on the tacking you need to get with Monkeyman for that.

S

On 2012-08-09 21:01, Murph wrote:
I switched all my outlets to wireless remote control so now instead of flipping on 10 individual powerstrips I can just flip all the lights, fountains, fans, stereo and computer on with a handheld wireless remote control... might be the best thing I've put in the Womb... maybe even better than the extra large Hula Lamp :D

THis is what you used? I assume you are happy with it. Does it require a line of site? I have outlets behind the couch and chairs I want to use them with. It also appears to cover the outlet and so you can then only use one plug, correct? That's a great price for the convenience.

If I use those, it gets me to 1 dimmer on, one switch flipped, one remote for bar lights and this remote for the rest.

During the Christmas season you can get a similar device from Home Depot. I have outlets behind furniture that go on with no problem. I have one outlet behind the bar refrigerator and sometimes I have to angle the remote. I was going to fish the wires so everything was hard wired but these remote control outlets work great. I have a couple on Lutron dimmer switches and there is a delay before they come on.

I plug a power strip to this device, at the wall outlet. That way I can have multiple lights going off one switch.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2012-11-27 15:20 ]

M

On 2012-11-27 08:58, Swanky wrote:

On 2012-08-09 21:01, Murph wrote:

THis is what you used? I assume you are happy with it. Does it require a line of site? I have outlets behind the couch and chairs I want to use them with. It also appears to cover the outlet and so you can then only use one plug, correct? That's a great price for the convenience.

If I use those, it gets me to 1 dimmer on, one switch flipped, one remote for bar lights and this remote for the rest.

Yes that is the same set I ordered. I love them.
Does not need line of site.
It does cover one outlet but I used a powerstrip on each outlet for multiple plugs.

It does cover one outlet but I used a powerstrip on each outlet for multiple plugs.

I use these guys on each of my remote controlled power switches:

Comes in handy for when you need access to that other plug on the outlet.

-mark

[ Edited by: markmywords 2013-02-07 09:48 ]

The door saver II pin hinge stopper is my new buddy. Stops the door without anything being on the floor to trip over or those regular ugly stoppers that go on the hinge.

Makes the door stop before it hits the clam shell in my door trim and is pretty invisible. $8 bucks on Ebay.

Defiantly plumbing and electrical work.

Take the time to have it figured out before you start. Right now I'm replumbing my bar and adding electrical, that would have been way easier had it been done in the first place.

-Longboard

Thanks Erich that is a good tip!
I look through ebay every now and then just to see what new stuff is
out there.
Also I've said it time and time again You Tube is a great place to get answers to
projects you may have as well.

And Longboard that's what this thread is about trying to save people time and money and get it right
the first time.

Have seen many more great ideas here on TC on many topics not posted here but I wanted to try and
make a one stop place to find it all as some of these ideas you may not even know what to
put in a search for.

Will try to post links when I see these great ideas from other TCers on this thread.

Thanx for adding guys.
TC is only as good as the info people like you add to it.

File this link under best thing....
Here is a link to the whole thing but will also add the recipe for this mix.
Great job on this tiki! take a look.
This idea comes from Wavy_Davy.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48404&forum=18&13

To make the hypertufa used here,
I used equal parts of portland cement, peat moss, and perlite. The first big batch had equal amount of sand as well for strength. The additional batches had less sand and I kind of eyeballed it. Probably a little more than half the amount of the other ingredients. I used a big bucket that my pool chlorine came in as my measuring cup. It made it easy to keep the mixes consistent.
Here is a website that I found with some good hypertufa recipes - http://www.artistic-garden.com/hypertufa-recipes/
I used the third one and modified it slightly. I poured all the dry ingredients into a big plastic tub and mixed it up well to incorporate everything. Wear a mask- the dust is nasty. Then I dumped the dry mix in an old wheel barrel and added water to get it to a good consistency. Kind of like making mud pies. You want it wet enough to hold together but not to soupy that it will run. I put on rubber gloves and applied it to the form. The next day - 24 hrs later, you can begin to shape it with rasps, chisels, wire brushes, etc.... It is a joy to carve.

A couple of tips.

• I made a screen out of a piece of wire mesh cloth to sift out the peat moss. It is pretty chunky out of the bag. Using your hands to break up the pieces.
  • Since the build required multiple applications of hypertufa, I brushed on concrete adhesive between layers.
  • I kept the sculpture wet during the entire process by spraying it with water and keeping it covered in plastic.

To apply the chicken wire to the foam armature I bought a spool of standard heavy gauge craft wire at Home Depot, cut off long pieces and folded them over to make long staples. I just shoved them into the foam around the chicken wire. You can twist the chicken wire to give it shape. I used the wire to crimp and hold the shapes.

I have never worked with hypertufa so I had no idea what the final color would be. It was perfect for the first month or so then it got very light in color. I ended up sponging on some diluted Quikrete concrete stain to get the look I wanted. I called Quikrete and they did not think it would work. So far...so good. We'll see how it makes it through a New England winter.

• Wear gloves when you are doing any shaping after it dries in the first few days. The set up hypertufa carves beautifully and sometimes I would grab a chisel and make a small adjustment here or there. I was too lazy to put on gloves and...the stuff burned off my fingertips.
    I plan on scraping off some lichens from some nearby rocks, mixing it with buttermilk and brushing it on "Moe" I read that this will promote lichen growth to make it look more like a natural stone.

I now have a small MIG welder and I would weld up a wire frame instead of using the foam.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Dave

Here is another great idea from muskrat.
These are faux bamboo rain gutters but you could do this and make faux bamboo as well.
would like to know how well these take the elements and look after years of use.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47292&forum=18&29

Ok one more on the good side.

jungle cruise ride sign.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48309&forum=18&14

This idea is from gabemaita.
For this i used exterior latex primer wit a very little bit of powdered plaster mixed in. Im going to try to build the animatronic tiki poles frome the tiki room, but this time i want to try to use a liquid resin hard coat. Im just still researching it. there is also a concept drawing of Trader Sams Grog Grotto at WDW, showing a tentacle come throug a port hole holding a bottle of rum, that my boys really want me to try. just trying to figure out how to do the suction cups. really dont want to try to carve each of them individualy. the latex and plaster gave a really good surface with out to much build up. I got hte idea from several haloween websites, they call it monster mud, made out of premixed drywall mud and latex paint. i used powdered plaster, to keep the bulk down. i wanted a semi hard coat without the build up. my mix ratio was like 8 to 1 or 10 to 1, paint to plaster.

T

This guy needed to restore end wrap on his bar.
Here is a good one.....

Wrapping Bartop with Cane....HELP!!....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49163&forum=1&start=last&9

two pieces of advice for all outdoor tiki bars...

1. weatherproof everything
  2. weatherproof it again!

As I built my bar, I used Olympic Water guard on all the wood, from the frame up

and then, for the bar top, about 15 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane, which is designed for outdoors and is UV resistant.

And I reapply about 2 coats to the top of the bar every year. I'm fortunate in that I have a roof over my back patio, so there is limited exposure to the elements, but the side bar gets rained on all year, as well as exposure to Maryland's snow and ice all winter, and has help up pretty well for the past 2 years.
(from the side)

(from the front...sorta)

Now, for the part that I would have done differently...

I trimmed my bar top in bamboo slats and raised them slightly above the top of the bar (1/16" at most), and filled in with lots of coats of the urethane, so that I have a "spill resistant" edge. Pretty smart I thought, until the rain, melted snow, etc started building up at the end of my bar and sitting there, which has now clouded the end of the side bar. It's still got the urethane finish on it, but there's an obvious difference in the look of the side bar, which is exposed to the elements, and the front bar, which is not. I'm going to try to sand down the urethane on that end and recoat over the course of this summer, but I fear that this is one of those things that I'll just have to write off to a learning curve.

Good tip Kahiki Guy.
In Ohio the rain and I think the ice and snow is the killer, but these things
really mess with wood and bamboo.

There is a solvent than may help with that bar top area I think, that stuff is going to muck up
any sanding belt quick.

When building your bar space I say why fight it, plan your bar to look old and distressed.
Who wants to stain, paint, sand all or the time.

That's what these bars should be taking us away from.

Good luck!!

K

Best thing I did to Kevin's Tiki Bar was get this sign hung up today!

T

Nice.
Now I would spray that with some clear coat of some kind.

My biggest mistake was thinking a tiki hut was a good idea. Once the novelty wore off after a month, no one wanted to sit around and watch tv and drink those god-awful "tiki" drinks in my outdoor mosquito infested tiki hut. Sure you can douse yourself with repellent and pretend the atmosphere is in some exotic tropical locale, but the harsh reality is that you're sitting in a backyard, and if you drink those rum drinks you know they are going to make you sick as a dog. Pupu platters and tropical punch are best enjoyed in air conditioned comfort. If I had the indoor space that's where my tiki hut would be, complete with fake palm trees and erupting volcano.

And so it begins, again.....

T

Quote:
Jungle John
My biggest mistake was thinking a tiki hut was a good idea. Once the novelty wore off after a month, no one wanted to sit around and watch tv and drink those god-awful "tiki" drinks in my outdoor mosquito infested tiki hut. Sure you can douse yourself with repellent and pretend the atmosphere is in some exotic tropical locale, but the harsh reality is that you're sitting in a backyard, and if you drink those rum drinks you know they are going to make you sick as a dog. Pupu platters and tropical punch are best enjoyed in air conditioned comfort. If I had the indoor space that's where my tiki hut would be, complete with fake palm trees and erupting volcano.

Thank you Donny Downer.

BUT if you do better in life they spray for mosquitos in your
neighborhood.
Plus the lack of old tires keeps the mosquitos down as there are not
so many places for mosquitos to lay eggs.

So for the people who do want an outdoor tiki spot Jungle John thinks Pupu platters and tropical punch are best enjoyed in air conditioned comfort so keep that in mind.

I will be out by the pool.

Debbie Downer Theme Song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctM3U1SOVQg

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-02-25 02:48 ]

T

Hey how is Clear Coat on Mosquitoes ): ???

I think a best practice is to develop a good bar name & a logo. Then having cocktail glasses made with your logo along with swizzle sticks, napkins, coasters, a sign, etc. not only fun but can be gifts to fellow Tikiphiles.

Planning can sometimes be an afterthought for many of us. I am filling my walls up but have that empty (off-white) ceiling that is going to need some serious help one day. While it is best to work from the top down, those of us that don't have building skills sometimes get stuck working from the bottom up.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2015-05-23 19:36 ]

PP

On 2015-05-23 19:33, VampiressRN wrote:
I think a best practice is to develop a good bar name & a logo. Then having cocktail glasses made with your logo along with swizzle sticks, napkins, coasters, a sign, etc. not only fun but can be gifts to fellow Tikiphiles.

Planning can sometimes be an afterthought for many of us. I am filling my walls up but have that empty (off-white) ceiling that is going to need some serious help one day. While it is best to work from the top down, those of us that don't have building skills sometimes get stuck working from the bottom up.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2015-05-23 19:36 ]

Don't let Bamboo Ben hear you have white walls or ceilings!!! lol

I love my outdoor spot but am sad I only get to really enjoy it for 3-4 months a year. Maybe someday I'll have an indoor space as well. As of now the tiki has started creeping into the house.....

Here in NJ the rain and snow are the biggest problem especially on the natural materials. Although expensive we've been most pleased when we put up the extra $ for synthetic materials. Every year I have to sand/stain/poly the wood and bamboo. Even the wood tikis and masks that I have polyed the crap out of grow little spots of mold from being outside all season. But the artificial thatch and weave look as good as the day we installed them, 4+ years later.

T

Thanks Lori this thread is only as good as what people post to it.

My hope was to save people time money and work at the same
time getting the most out of the efforts and money they put into their space.

I can't tell you how many times somebody says they are going to use thatch or
bamboo outdoors in this frozen tundra we live in.
After I try to tell them it won't last or how fast it will rot they say
"It's ok I will fix it when it does"
Well that lasts about a year or two then they start all over with the kind of things that
will stand up to the ice, snow, rain we get here.

Make bamboo elements that you can remove and take inside of the winter.
But remember that bugs love to nest in Bamboo, rattan and thatch.

So do it once, do it right, and put more time into other projects or enjoying the space you
built.

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

How to wrap your Bamboo corners here...
Wrapping Bartop with Cane....HELP!!....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49163&forum=1&22

I feel the creep coming on. My lounge is getting full, already a year ago Tiki moved into my dining room. It is starting to move into the hallways between the lounge, dining room, and living room. My living room is rather nondescript, there is no theme...so the big Tiki I just got has moved to my lounge, but he has his eye on the living room!!!

T

Yeah Vamp most old timers have boxes of tiki packed away as hey hunted over the years.

Here is some great tips on making trim for your tiki bar spot....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49315&forum=20&start=last&13

Another rope tip! Everyone loves the look of triple braided hemp Manila rope. Thing is it rots from the inside out, never dries out, and will shrink to 90% of its length when wet. For outdoor use, use a product called Pro Manila, it looks like manila but is made from polypropylene film and they then use that to make the individual rope strands. The result is a rope that replicates the look and feel of manila that doesn't rot or shrink. best place I know to get it is knot and rope https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2

Thanks for getting this started tikiskip. I've always found sometimes it's the little stuff that gets you into trouble.

T

Thanks ka'lenatiki.

I wish I had thought out my backyard more really.
It would not have cost that much more to have huge rocks built into the pool
deck when the yard was all tore up.
This is what made me think of this thread.

Hope that this thread can help people do more with less.

Don't forget lauhala matting is a hand made product, and subject to variances in size and appearance. I forgot, and started stapling a piece to my wall, and it was about three inches short of the 8 foot length. The next piece was about three inches longer. I had to get creative with my bamboo trim on the bottom of the wall.

On 2015-07-03 08:02, tikiskip wrote:
Thanks ka'lenatiki.

I wish I had thought out my backyard more really.
It would not have cost that much more to have huge rocks built into the pool
deck when the yard was all tore up.
This is what made me think of this thread.

Hope that this thread can help people do more with less.

I know the feeling. I would have moved the fence back another 10 ft. The thing I really hate is coming up with the space for a new whatever, like a spa,lol. The cobble pathway we just put in leading to the newly redone pond sat on the pallet for 2yrs while I figured out how I wanted it done.

While I think of it, is there a way to clean the black off bamboo? I have a couple of pc's I picked up, but after getting wet they blackn'd. Thought about a bleach wash but.... Also, will a coat of shellac help?

I would try TSP.
Or any mold type cleaner.

Man you have had no rain how did you get mold?

And at least here in Ohio shellac does not help much.
It maybe better in Cali.

Look go to Disneyland and see what they do, then do that.
Bamboo outside is going to F&*% up, Unless you work on it all the time.
Better for you in Cali as you don't have as much rain and no snow, plus no freezing
temps like Ohio.

Why do I live in Ohio?

Look at these painted metal foe bamboo fence at Half Moon inn.
Would cost more but dam this would be forever.
Even round painted wood would be better than bamboo.
And I love bamboo, but it's not worth the hassle.

Good luck!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

On 2015-07-18 10:55, tikiskip wrote:
I would try TSP.
Or any mold type cleaner.

Man you have had no rain how did you get mold?

And at least here in Ohio shellac does not help much.
It maybe better in Cali.

Look go to Disneyland and see what they do, then do that.
Bamboo outside is going to F&*% up, Unless you work on it all the time.
Better for you in Cali as you don't have as much rain and no snow, plus no freezing
temps like Ohio.

Why do I live in Ohio?

Look at these painted metal foe bamboo fence at Half Moon inn.
Would cost more but dam this would be forever.
Even round painted wood would be better than bamboo.
And I love bamboo, but it's not worth the hassle.

Good luck!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Hey we get water from the sky sometimes lol. Where I'm at in northern cal, it rains quite a bit, snows and sadly gets to be 115 during the summer. I didn't think of tsp, duh, I use to sell it. Tsp plus alittle bleach worked wonders. Most of it was where it blackened from getting wet. Disney uses mixed items for there look. Some real, some fake. Working on the pvc bamboo for that same reason, plus it gets hot enough here to split the bamboo in no time.
That fence looks awsome

T

Glad that worked for you.

Do what the big parks in your area do as they have figured the best way
over time.

T

Ok here are some great bar towels.
Found these on eBay and they are the same as the ones that I used at my
restaurant years ago.

"Dude it's a towel" true but some towels these days are almost water proof.
Like the red strip ones a lot as they look like bar towels and get better with age.
Plus dam they only cost like $13.90 for 13 towels, says 12 but I got 13.

You will love them.
I got both of these towels, both are great but if I had to get only one style it would be the red stripe ones.

PS not my sales, I make nothing on this and do not know sellers.

6 100% COTTON TOWELS RED STRIPES DISH GLASS TOWELS LINT FREE FLOUR SACK TOWEL $8.39 free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-100-COTTON-TOWELS-RED-STRIPES-DISH-GLASS-TOWELS-LINT-FREE-FLOUR-SACK-TOWEL/162029215693?hash=item25b9b19fcd:g:kuoAAOSwGYVXA8tT

1 DOZEN 100% COTTON BLUE STRIPE HERRINGBONE KITCHEN DISH TOWELS LINT FREE $10.74
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161076155208?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-04-09 10:22 ]

B

Thanks for the great thread, tikiskip, et al.! Lots to figure out as I'm putting my space together — thanks for letting me learn from you! That post on wrapping corners may be just what I need to tighten up my mitred corners here.

Tikiskip, thanks for reminding me about this thread. So many awesome ideas all in one place.

T

No prob Keaka-tiki.

Here is a good AND bad thing all in one.

I give you the Hillbilly pool heater.
Had a propane pool heater but dam that cost like $1.400 per year to fill.
So I took the dam thing and built a fire under it.

Good thing... it did heat the pool to like 79 degrees it was 68!
I don't get in till it's 82 degrees or better.
With the solar cover it is now 4 days later 83 degrees.

Bad thing It took 10 hours of stoking the fire and smoking up the neighborhood, it put flakes of metal in the pool from the heater.
At one point the dam thing was rocking and making such a noise we thought it would shoot to the moon!
At the hottest the water went in at 74 and came out 90 degrees!

Next will be solar heater put on roof.

I’m in Ohio, too (during the summer, we pronounce it Oh-HEE-Oh – the lost Hawaiian Island) but the winters are tough. I’ve used often used 2’-6” hollow core lauan doors for my bar top; everything gets covered in the winter but after the first one warped to hell, I just remove it and keep it in the garage during the winter, the bar itself gets pushed up against the house and covered with thin plywood or whatever else I can find, then a plastic tarp. Like most of my stuff, it sits on my deck overlooking the pool.

I had a little 3-shelf bookcase to store mugs and other stuff on – I paid $10 at a thrift store and even though it was made of cheap plywood, plenty of paint kept it useful for about 6 years; it finally fell apart this spring, but I found a little solid wood stand with turned legs to replace it.

Plenty of paint and stain help me get through – I usually have to give some things a brief touch-up each spring, but it doesn’t take long. If it can get stored in the garage or shed, it is. The biggest problem I seem to have is watching some items fade so badly – and sometimes so quickly – tin signs, door mats, etc. There may be a spray on UV protectant, but who knows if that would work…

[ Edited by: AkronTiki 2016-06-15 13:32 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies