Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

An embarrassment of riches: Yet ANOTHER New Tiki Bar in the Bay Area

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

...tiki scoop...tiki scoop...tiki scoop...

Well that makes THREE in just the last two months. First we had the lovingly revitalized Conga Room in Oakland which is off to a great start. Then the spanking new Bamboo Bar in Fairfax which is looking great. Now I'm excited to tell you about the "rebirth" of a classic:

The TEMPLE BAR is once again a bar proper!

Yes, the Berkeley landmark is now featuring a GRAND OPENING sign in the window and a new sign on the glass reading: The Temple Bar Tiki Bar and Grill" Open for dinner five nights a week! (closed mon/tues) There are new tablecloths on the front tables and a full dinner menu posted in the window featuring lomi lomi, kalua, and all the classics.

Obviously, we will have to get together there soon to explore in full detail. Watch tiki events for more information and No Cal types should check their email. Summer tiki madness...starts...NOW!

Plus, with Vic's in discussion to open again in SF, we could have four new ones by the end of the year. (note to humuhumu: reconsider so cal! :))

On 2003-06-18 23:14, martiki6 wrote:

Plus, with Vic's in discussion to open again in SF, we could have four new ones by the end of the year. (note to humuhumu: reconsider so cal! :))

Humuhumu, keep this little fact in mind - 80% of all new small businesses are bellyup within 2 years. However, the So Cali tiki establishments have the combined number of operational years of 221!

H

On 2003-06-18 23:14, martiki6 wrote:
(note to humuhumu: reconsider so cal! :))

Ain't happenin, so cal is where it's at for me! But remember this: right now, SF is a 12-14 hour drive, it'll be more like a 5 hour drive when I'm in LA. Right, now I drive down to central Oregon all the time (it's supposed to be a 7 hour drive, but I do it in 5... maybe the drive to SF will only take me 4?). When I say I'll be up there so much you'll be sick of me, I'm not kidding. Really. You might want to get caller id if you don't have it already.

Humuhumu, don't foget, Portland will always have the Alibi, Castaway Cove and Mr. Tikibar's place. Neither Nocal nor Socal can offer you those!

Anybody else wanna fight over Humuhumu?

On 2003-06-19 13:23, Humuhumu wrote:
right now, SF is a 12-14 hour drive, it'll be more like a 5 hour drive when I'm in LA. Right, now I drive down to central Oregon all the time (it's supposed to be a 7 hour drive, but I do it in 5... maybe the drive to SF will only take me 4?).

Humu,
Everytime I drive to SF I can make it in about 4 1/2 hours - and that's from the 909! If you're coming from Pasadena, 4 hours to SF should be no problem.

The opening of the the Temple Bar is indeed an abundance of riches.

I graduated from Cal and am a little
disappointed there was no Temple Bar in Berkeley when I was there.

However, I am very happy about the recent resurgence in tiki bar openings in Northern California. (Hopefully, it will catch on in So Cal.)

Enjoy.

Pages: 1 5 replies