And Bamboo Ben. :)

Looking awesome. GROG like.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-08 21:05 ]

Time for a party!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 10:13 PM

2nd that.

4 Faced Posts are awesome! Really enjoy watching you create.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mahalo,

Chris

Yup, Bosko, WITCO, Ken Pleasant, thee BambooBen... I kinda borrow what I like from each guy in an attempt to come up with my own look. They all did the same as well. It's all derivative.
I'm still searching for my own 'look', but I'm getting somewhere with it. The search is fun.

One thing is for sure, I'm gonna be doing a lot of carving in the next couple of months.
Thanks for all of the words of encouragement!

This is looking great. I really like the extra work you're putting into it...the lights, the poles, the design, etc. However, did I miss somewhere what you were talking about with filming? Is this going to be on some show or something? In a couple of pictures, you can see a camera and then there's talk about your party, etc. What am I missing? I apologize now if you've already posted it on here and I just overlooked it because my eyes were mesmerized by all the craftmanship...and the stuff Ben did, too. Ha.

Yeah, I don't know if I really told the story about the filming...

Ben and I had always talked about doing The Breezeway of my house as a tiki bar but never just DID it. Then, he was approached by someone to film a pilot for a tikifying kinda home improvement show... Since he lives so close to me and we had always talked about it, he suggested finally doing The Breezeway.

With me doing all of the preliminary carving and trim work, he (with Dinah's assistance) hammered out the walls, ceiling treatment, bar, and waterfall all in one week. Ben is like a building tornado when you get him going! He worked super hard and made the place look amazing with his suggestions!

I've seen the finished show and it looks great! We aren't allowed to show it to the public yet though. Let's hope it gets picked up! It would really make a great TV program!

That sounds really cool. Who do we contact to make it a reality? Obviously you guys have a huge constituency on here to flood any unsuspecting channel the show may be getting pitched to. And smart move having Dinah doing the assisting on camera...if that doesn't get it picked up - ha. Is there a name for the show or is that under wraps as well? In looking back through the posted pictures, the only thing missing is Ernie helping Ben as the safety inspector (ala his comic strips). Throw that in and you'll have all bases covered. Good luck on getting it accepted.

Yeah, I'm not sure... You'll have to ask Ben those questions. He knows more about this stuff than I do.
I wish we could show everyone right now!

Since the sale at The Bahooka was cancelled this weekend, and I was still in the neighborhood... I decided to swing by Oceanic Arts...
Picked up this string of floats for our window looking in to the kitchen.

Got a couple of masks and other stuff, but haven't had a chance to put them up yet.
Stay tuned...

Nice Spike. Bummer about the Bahooka cancelling that sale. But The Breezeway is looking good. :D

Its quite a dialogue when you intellectual giants get together.
Stay Tiki and Aloha!!!

[ Edited by: forgotten tikiman 2013-03-20 13:56 ]

Just put a new lamp up in The Breezeway.
Got this one at Tiki Caliente from our friends at Nelson's Tiki Hut.
Stoked to finally get one of their amazing lamps!

So let me get this straight: you've got a great talent, a killer bar, and a stunning girlfriend...May I learn from you, Master? Congratulations on a super build and tons of vibe.

[ Edited by: johnnyvelvet 2013-06-18 06:23 ]

Thanks, Johnny.

So I ran a cross this lamp the other day at an Antique mall in Long Beach. They were asking $75 for it...

I had just bought this guy at another store for (probably) too much, so I wasn't in the mood to go spending that kind of money right away...

Later, I happened upon a nautical looking lense in one of the shops for relatively cheap. I already had this bouy thing hanging by the waterfall... I got to thinkin'... I can make my version of that lamp that I saw earlier.

Here's a very sleepy looking picture of me building the lamp:

Blue bulb and some holes drilled in the top to vent the heat and there you go.

It now hangs next to the second tiki that I ever carved...

The End

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 25, 2013 2:59 PM

Nice job on the lamp!

Looking sharp matey!

Good work, Spike!

Last night, I put some low wattage LED lighting in a long piece of plastic tubing, sealed the end with silicone and attached it to the inside of the water basin of the waterfall. Now I have this nice red lava glow radiating from it!

Thanks for the comments, friends!

That's making me thirsty.......for a cold cocktail......at "The Breezeway"!

Awesome space!! Your light is really nicely done and the red glow from the lava is excellent. Best breezeway I've ever seen!!!

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Jul 4, 2013 1:01 PM

So cool!!! Nice light too!

Spike- with all those lights you're hanging from the lid, you might want to reinforce it a bit more. It held me at 195 lbs.
Looks like you might be getting close to that in hanging lamp weight! lol :wink: Lookin good! More is better!!

Got in the mood to start creating more decor for The Breezeway! Here's a three footer that I just carved.
I have more on the way too!

I'm digging it!

Big week in The Breezeway!
Just finished this Paupa New Guinea mask last night. First shot at carving/ painting a mask.
There's a lot that I'd do differently the next time around... This one came out okay though.

Here it is all finished and distressed.

Gonna have to find something for right below this shield...

Also finally went and changed the bulbs in our pufferfish lamps back from those colored fluorescent energy saver bulbs to the standard colored party bulbs. For a true vintage look, you must use with the party bulb. Those coiled fluorescent ones have way too neon of a glow to them. It's been driving me nuts for months now... So....yeah.

I have a png shield that I'm going to get done this week too. Stay tuned!!

I am going to hug the shit out of you, you glorious bastard
when I see you this weekend (In a manly way of course!)
now gets back to ma-kin cool shit!

Haha.... I HAS been a long time. Can't wait, ATP. Xoxo!

Nice job Spike on that Tiki and mask. :D

M

Dude you truly are talented at all things. Nicely done.

Thanks, guys!

One more!
I carved this PNG shield this last weekend and finished the paint last night. Again, there's a lot I'd rething on the next go around.
Certainly a good learning experience though!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 2, 2013 9:50 AM

Good job, Spikers.

BK

Dude! Do you sleep? I don't know who's worse, you or Eric October! You do keep cranking out cool stuff, though!

PP

wow!!! now I really hate you !!!! lol, that is some awesome work Sir!!! what do you use to carve your masks with? any formal training or are you just really talented? really love your last two posts inspiring !!!!!

Got to pay a little visit to the "Breezeway" last night & the place looks great!
Just a wonderful job Spike & Dinah, I would of taken some pics but the bar was open....soooo.

C
cy posted on Sat, Aug 3, 2013 4:24 PM

Multi-talented, inspired work Luckydesigns!

So much good stuff here. Great execution and so inspiring. It's been a treat to follow the progress. Thanks for sharing!

Looking better and better...love your chunk lamps and the masks are great!!!

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Paul, I use redwood planks from the lumberyard for the wood. The tools are usually first a router, then the hammer and chisles for the more detailed things and the stuff that needs to be shaped. After that, it's given the Witco treatment and voila!

I'm still not actually happy with the colors of the mask, I think they are a little too vibrant for the palette associated with png masks. Also, there are carving things that I'd do differently on it as well... Probably gonna make another one to see if I can get it 'right.' Eventually....

Oh, and I have a BFA in graphic design at a college in northern CA. I took lots of sculpting classes and general art classes in reaching that degree... I'm sure that helped at least a little bit.

Again, thanks for the words everyone. I'm just tryin to make cool stuff.

Not to mention Spike has worked for some years as a (The) Graphic Artist
for big-time surf-ware companies, so yes he is a real Artist.

PP

thanks Spike!!
good to know!!gotta get me some skills!! girls like guys with skills !!!! lol

On 2013-08-05 13:30, Luckydesigns wrote:

I'm still not actually happy with the colors of the mask, I think they are a little too vibrant for the palette associated with png masks. Also, there are carving things that I'd do differently on it as well... Probably gonna make another one to see if I can get it 'right.' Eventually....

Spike-Try a light white wash if you want to tone down the vibrancy. (is that a word? :wink:
p.s. I thought they looked great the other eve. Can't wait to see that Gobi panel and or story board.
Aloha! BB

L

All this, and he's rebuilding a T-Bird, too! :)

Thanks, Ben! Couldn't have done it without you building all of the main stuff!

On 2013-08-06 15:33, Luckydesigns wrote:
Thanks, Ben! Couldn't have done it without you building all of the main stuff!

Thanks Spike but I made Dinah do most of it! :wink:

New vintage mask score from Tiki Oasis!
It's from the Lower Sepik region of Papua New Guinea. Found a perfect spot for it next to our string of shrunken heads!
Good Stuff! I wish I would have bought more of these masks when I saw them!

Fish eye lens! Mai Tais at the Breezeway! FAB!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies