Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Breezeway *New A-Frame pics up!* - Costa Mesa, CA

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

TM

"when the 60's got all hippy and weird"

Best quote ever!!

great video, Spike. You come off as real humble and genial, and that's how you are in real life too!

Thanks, guys. Pretty funny video, right?

I should mention that Dinah DeRosa had a big hand in building that bar with Ben. Just slipped my mind at the time.
Also, The Hula Girls music is really comprised of late '50s rockabilly, early '60s surf, hillbilly, and hapa haole music.
It's easier to think about and write rather than to jabber on about 'on the spot.'

Did you notice the brand new Hula Girls' song that is featured throughout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44RxhQxInD4

On 2013-11-06 11:10, Luckydesigns wrote:

I should mention that Dinah DeRosa had a big hand in building that bar with Ben. Just slipped my mind at the time.

Hopefully that video can come out some time. :wink:

I just realized that I posted this on Facebook, but not on TC. I found this fountain at the vintage swap in Long Beach. Same as Sven's in the Book of Tiki… Anyway, I built a base for it and found a faux giant clam shell for it to spit into… Pretty happy with how it came out!

That is fantasticly awesome. We have planes to do something smaller. But that just looks amazing.

looks great Spike!

Great job with that fountain Spike. Not only is this a great find but you put it to very good use and incorperated that clamshell perfectly. Awesome!!!!! I dig it :D.

Thanks, guys!

FM

Thumbs up on the fountain. What size pump are you using? I see so many at the stores with prices ranging from $25 to God knows what.

Hey, Fez, I was using a pump which is good for up to 4', but it didn't have enough juice to get the water to shoot out. The next size up was way too much power, even on the lowest setting, and just about hosed my dog down. I ended up covering one side of the plastic grate where the impeller sucks from, with duct tape. Works pretty well now. Just have to figure out how to limit the water splatter that comes from hitting the shell.

After putting the fountain in that spot, I kinda realized (with PolyPop's help) that I needed to finish off that corner of the bar a little better. Right now, The Breezeway ends and just kinda runs into the reality of my backyard… Like a BBQ, hose reel, and Thunderbird parts… Ruins that escapist feeling.

See? (The bamboo standing up was there to mock something up.)

So the plan is to build kind of a midcentury screen thing that helps hide part of the house. Closest to the wall will be a hanging jade tile treatment. The other part will be like they did at VenTiki with the cut bamboo laid sideways... Thought that was a really cool idea.

So I got these tiles from an old Trader Vic's via OA. Here's the rough mockup.

Built this frame thing after a bunch of carving, burning, and sealing…

After tying up all of the trellis thing, I screwed it into the frame that I built. All of this was super tedious stuff. You can't really just throw this kind of thing together...

Here it is, installed:

When I get home from work tonight, hopefully I'll get to hanging the tiles! I still need to burn and cut the wood for the rest of the screen thing.

TM

whoa! awesome!

Very cool, Spike!

You know that looks about right, Spike
but I better come over & see if works after a few cocktails
just to make sure.....see ya in about an hour?

T

Awesome- love the latest additions. Thanks for fountain discussion- I'm thinking about a water feature....

More progress…

Here are the tiles, hung with bailing wire…

Tying up the tiles with manilla rope…

Here it is, almost all finished…

Tying these knots is super tedious. Actually the whole process has been pretty tedious. Happy with how it's coming out though!

Knot detail.

Very tasteful!

Classic look Spike, nice job.

You're a very creative guy! I'm jealous.

Thanks, guys!

Nice work, man!

T

Spike the fountain looks awesome & that Paupa New Guinea mask is great!

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Jan 31, 2014 10:32 AM

As mentioned on Facebook and Instagram.. LOVE IT!

Lets see some pics of that VenTiki wall :)

:drink:

Love the tiles Spike, they're a favorite element of mine.

Thank you as always for sharing great pictures.

Chris
WestADad

Thanks everybody!

Getting the Ventiki bamboo wall thing together…

Takes WAY more bamboo to fill this thing up than you would think you need...

Should be cool when it's all done though.

T

Killer. That's a lot of cuts.... It looks fantastic.

BK

Love it!

S

The bamboo wall looks rad so far!

that whole area really is coming together--great stuff!

More progress on the Ventiki bamboo wall thing...

I didn't have time to finish it in time for a photoshoot this weekend with Red Dodge and B Deville… They just kinda shot around it. It's gonna be great for shoots once it's all finished though!

Killer!
That would look pretty rad in some of those diamonds along the back instead of the colored glass.
You are a machine Spike!

Ooooo…. AMAZING idea, Ben. Would tie it all together!
See… That's why you are who you are. Good stuff!

PP

I found a great space that was prob built around the same time as your pad was, same size breezeway and garage, and immediately thought of your swinging pad!!! sadly it was in a pretty run down neighborhood with a lot of renters and no pride in ownership, so we had to cross it off! but I so love your use of space, especially your new project with the bamboo and such!!! what a great idea; right click, save!!!!

Thanks, Paul!

Finally finished the Ventiki bamboo screen thing! Super happy with how it came out.
Now I've got to figure out what to do behind the spitting tiki guy… Maybe needs some hanging lights as well…

PP

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's such a great idea!!!! now that Ive got a new pad and a lot of room, im gonna go broke tryong to build my new tiki bar and yard with all these ideas, you should see my story boards!!!!

Spike, it came out epic!

T

Looks great, love the completed screen. Curious, did you epoxy the cut bamboo in place- or is it pressure fit?

On 2014-02-27 22:43, TikiAno wrote:
Looks great, love the completed screen. Curious, did you epoxy the cut bamboo in place- or is it pressure fit?

That's what she said!

Thanks, guys… It's just pressure fit right now. I had intended to epoxy it, but putting all of that in there was a giant hassle… Maybe eventually.

Just added a little trim detail this weekend.

Tada...!

PP

wow, you can totally see the difference!!! I forgot to ask you, your two tiki guys in the orange diamonds with spears, where did you find them?? Thy R awesome!!!! cant wait to tart on my new space!!!!

Paul, those are Bosko tikis. He's a San Diego carver… The first guy to bring back the art of tiki mug making, way back, before Tiki Central and the Book of Tiki…
http://www.tikibosko.com

PP

cool! thanks so much! Now to find some.........and make my own Breezeway!!!! lol
The GF is getting mad, Iv already mapped out the whole yard, out buildings, water features, a hammock, BBQ area oh and I called dibbs on the garage too!!!!! Tiki-Ho

Very cool Spike! Love the way it's coming together. :D

Dialing in the new fountain for next week's pin-up photoshoots… I've been through three pumps now, in order to get the thing to spray just right. All kinds of issues with those pumps… Finally put a fish float 'pearl' in the clam to ease the water's landing and keep it from hitting the shell and spraying out. By the end of the night, the fountain basin would be damned near dry before I did this! Happy to get that worked out!

PP

"Your killing me, Smalls ! " God, it just keeps getting better and better!!!!!!

Wow...those are certainly great upgrades and that bamboo divider is wicked!!!

Thanks!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies