Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Breezeway *New A-Frame pics up!* - Costa Mesa, CA

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Thanks! Yeah, the weather here has been pretty nice lately!

Mrs Lord is going to throw me out if she learns of this.

Many thanks to Spike who graciously allowed us in to photograph his bar. I have watched this build from the beginning and thought it would be fun project to shoot.

This was so much fun that I'd like to photograph a few more home tiki bar builds, so if you know of one in So Cal that would be a good candidate, I'd like to hear about it.

[ Edited by: Islandnative 2019-11-29 10:00 ]

Ah! So you're the architectural photographer who worked his magic on the Breezeway! Excellent work. I know enough about photography to understand skill in one discipline doesn't necessarily translate to another. Tiki bars are especially tricky--they need to be illuminated enough to bring out the detail, but not so brightly to destroy the mystery and mood. I'd say you hit the sweet spot!

Southern California probably has more impressive home tiki bars per capita than anyplace else on Earth. I expect you'll have no shortage of suggestions!

On 2018-05-30 21:05, Prikli Pear wrote:
Ah! So you're the architectural photographer who worked his magic on the Breezeway! Excellent work. I know enough about photography to understand skill in one discipline doesn't necessarily translate to another. Tiki bars are especially tricky--they need to be illuminated enough to bring out the detail, but not so brightly to destroy the mystery and mood. I'd say you hit the sweet spot!

Southern California probably has more impressive home tiki bars per capita than anyplace else on Earth. I expect you'll have no shortage of suggestions!

Thanks for the kind words. I've seen some amazing builds on T.C. I'd like to apply my skill set and try to do them justice.

More from The Breezeway. To see it big, go here : https://www.martinkingphotography.com/the-breezeway

[ Edited by: Islandnative 2018-06-07 18:04 ]

[ Edited by: Islandnative 2019-11-29 09:47 ]

[ Edited by Islandnative on 2022-07-24 16:43:25 ]

WOW! Amazing job, Martin!!

M

The lighting is perfect in every way!

Awesome!!!

Wow, great bar and great photography. Yes, Martin you need to photograph all the great home and commercial tiki establishments found in the website. It would be a fantastic book. I'd buy it and a few thousand others will also buy it and eat it up. Keep it up both of you.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2018-07-10 23:10 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2018-07-10 23:11 ]

I recently acquired this tall guy...

and with dwindling space in The Breezeway, it was time to do some re-construction...

This architectual detail to the left of Tara has always been a pain... Its always dirty and I never glued the bamboo in, so the pieces are always trying to migrate out of position somehow...

...also, it was derivative from a wall at Ventiki...
So I got to building...

I got the little half wall thing from the closing sale at Don the Beachcomber...

I think it came out nicely. I've removed one of the last elements that was left over from the 'tiki modern' aesthetic that The Breezeway originally had... the goal (for the last few years) has been to create a tiki bar that is solely comprised of vintage and authentic art and artifacts found in a '40s/'50s/ early '60s tiki bar. There are VERY FEW items in The Breezeway that are not vintage or authentic.

Awesome find! I liked the look of the cut bamboo but this is a fine improvement.

T

I'm with Mike. That new addition looks stellar! But I also thought the cut bamboo curtain looked really neat. So much that I think I'll shelve that idea in the back of my head for a future project. :wink:

Cheers,

Jeff

I like the vintage look as well. It relates more to the escapism that a tiki bar is supposed to create.

How much for the removed bamboo pieces? :)

Thanks everyone, I totally agree.
And all of the bamboo is already gone away to a friend.

I'm about due for a Sidewinder's Fang!

A few new pinup photos from Viva Van Story...

and Angela Morales...

awesome as always...hey is your sap one of those "soft Spa's" ??? I just got one and need to tiki it up

Soft spa? I'm not sure what that is.

Some rain recently...

and new models in The Breezeway:

Miss CC

Liz Carrillo

Bryona Ashly

Miss Bliss

Your bar is definitely a chick magnet.

[ Edited by: maukahale 2019-01-20 08:36 ]

Amazing to think The Breezeway started in 2012… 6 years… a solid effort and long slog.

Yeah, that's crazy! ...and I can honestly say that it's still not 'finished.'

I don't think a tiki bar is ever finished :)

All photos by @spikeandthecamera

Miss Marie Devilreux

Bryona Ashly

Miss Hannah

All photos by @spikeandthecamera
See more on Instagram!

Miss Dani Divine

Miss Kassandra Love

T

Your bar is always a feast for the eyes!

Do you have an anti gravity machine in that bar?...Some of the poses the models strike seem to be gravity defying!

Interested in info on your volcano construction. I re-skimmed your thread and didn't see a section when you constructed it.

PS - Another question...when is the next album release? I listen to you on Spotify and need some new material.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2019-07-26 11:20 ]

There's a whole big blog post about the volcano, on our band's web page.

http://thehulagirls.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-breezeway-lagoon.html

...but knowing what I know now, I'd totally build the volcano differently. I'd construct the infrastructure differently... I'd also add an access panel to the back of the volcano.

And as for the band, we thought that we would have a new 4 song EP out by now, but we're kinda dragging our feet on finishing it up. Ugh... It all just takes time... and when it's not your career, sometimes it's tough to get everyone together.

That's an amazing transformation.

Thanks for the volcano construction pics and link.

I need at least another 8 Hula Girl songs in my rotation... 4 more isn't enough. :) (But will be happy for any new material.)

Did you just paint the concrete black around the pond edge and volcano itself?

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2019-08-27 10:43 ]

H
Hearn posted on Wed, Aug 28, 2019 9:58 AM

Volcano looks awesome!

What did you use for the black "volcano" rock itself? Any tips on using that stuff?

Yeah, I did just paint the volcano and 'lava rock' with black paint.
The 'lava rock' is just cement with a bunch of sand mixed into it.

...and there are two records full of Hula Girls' material on Spotify! Many more than just four songs. :)

Live video from The Breezeway!

I just started an interview component to my youtube channel. The inaugural video is a conversation with world famous bartender, Kelly Merrill, of Disneyland's Trader Sam's. If you enjoy the show, please be sure to SUBSCRIBE. There will be more conversations and content on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dymy-LKsob4&t=447s

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2019-10-07 13:50 ]

Subscribed.
Demi and I watched the Scorpion Bowl vid last night....it's like groovy little music video for traditional cocktails!
Bring on the Sidewinder's Fang!

Not used to seeing Kelly without a hat on...

Rad, thanks Ryan!
That drink is certainly on the list. ?

T

Great show! I could almost taste the MaiTai.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Dec 2, 2019 9:20 PM

Hey, Spike, I finally got the chance to watch your interview with Kelly. Great stuff!

Ah, cool! I have more on the way... just need to find the time to edit them.

Ah, cool! I have more on the way... just need to find the time to edit them.

I'm happy to announce a welcome diversion from the world's current situation. This Friday evening at 6:30 Pacific time, The Hula Girls will be releasing our brand new music video for a song made famous by the supreme godfather of tiki music, Martin Denny. It may be our finest musical performance.... and certainly our most cinematic presentation ever.

Join us! Set a reminder! We can't wait to share it with you all! The premiere will be on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/-N8uxx8KLuY

Our four-song 45 on Hi-Tide Recordings will go on presale at that time as well.

'The Enchanted Sea' music video features acting by Veronica Velvet, Audrie Loraine, Kiki Flambé, Marlena Khramova, Rebecca Rose, Julie Mullins, Kelly Merrell, Donnie Chartier, Kevin Stewart, Dave Estala, Zack and Rochelle Arant, Dano Forte, and Gus Economu as 'the sailor.'

• Filmed on location at #thebreezewaycm by Timothy Potter and Spike
  • Direction and story by Spike
  • Edited by Spike with assistance by Michael Lander
  • set building with assistance by Josh Winderman
  • video production @spikeandthecamera_media

[ Edited by leevigraham on 2022-03-16 19:36:48 ]

J

Just a quick but super sincere MAHALO to Spike, for keeping the Tiki flag flying on YouTube throughout the pandemic, when TC had gone dark.

-J.

Hear! Hear! Spike's Breezeway Cocktail Hour really helped me through some rough times when I just needed some comedy and comfort.

Agreed !!! We have watched almost every one of them. Well done Spike !!

This is gold to see The Breezeway from its inception!

HUZZAH to SPIKE'S BREEZEWAY! It really did help get through the dark days

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies