Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Breezeway *New A-Frame pics up!* - Costa Mesa, CA

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Updates to the waterfall. Dinah has done most of the concrete work herself (with Ben's instruction and direction).

The first of the bamboo matting goes up!!

Starting to look like something...

TM

When this is finished, you are going to have one of the most killer houses around! The inside was already perfect mid-century modern....most excellent, Mr. Spike!

Day 4.

Got to bust a move today!!!!

No more fun and games.

Got to get to "Building Paradise!"

of course "with...Bamboo Ben" :wink:

Q

Great pics! You all have obviously been working very hard to make this build happen.
I love the trim and redwood carvings you've been preparing. Nice job!

Go Ben, GO!!!

@MDM... You, Sir, are cracking me up!!

Cheers and much Aloha.

[ Edited by: Q-tiki 2012-07-26 09:28 ]

Thanks, Q-Tiki!

The wood sealing tent.... All wood if being coated with a clear varnish. Lots and lots of painting going on.

The bar has been framed up too

Staging some of the carved panels.

Dinah, painting the inside of the bar

Late night, last effort...

Thanks again for the encouraging comments, folks!

And let me tell you, Ben has been AMAZING. He is an absoluely non-stop tiki-ing machine. They had to beg him to take a lunch break yesterday. He worked till way past dark yesterday too...

I worked well into midnight finishing up trim and carving, last night. It's a total marathon that HAS to be completed by tomorrow afternoon (of course we'll be adding and changing things as time goes on though).

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-07-26 11:13 ]

Q

VERY Cool!

I just figured out why you cant play music... :)

The camera and wireless mic gave it away. It's not those folks from Common Machine Productions harassing you, is it?

Cheers!

We're enjoying the progress Spike, keep it up. Almost like instant gratification.

I see some classic orange paint in the lounge, I can dig it!
Kickin ass over on your side of town guys & gal!!!

Yeah, just wanted to give you a hint about what's going on with the camera there... They're filming a pilot for a TV show... And the build NEEDS to be done BY TOMORROW!! Ahhh!!!

Yeah, Lance, you know us very well... We're bringing our late '50s/ early '60s aesthetic out to The Breezeway and mixing it with tiki. Sven's Tiki Modern was a big influence as well.

This will be the end of the photos until probably after it's all done. I'll post progess pics after this weekend though. We are SUPER excited though! Ben is doing an AMAZING job!!

Okay.... one last one. I carved this guy about 7-ish years ago out of a pier piling. He's been kinda neglected and ignored in our garden since then. A little torching and he's going to be one of the main tikis featured in The Breezeway! Stoked!!

Fire Good!

T

Where do you get the wire-mesh? And what is being used to make the lava formation - concrete?

Fan-Friggin'-Tastic!!!!

Love all the dark aged wood effects.

You guys are kickin' Ass!!

HT

Talked to Spike and Dinah at Don the Beachcomber Saturday night and they said that they were working on the The Breezeway this week, so I made them a record album frame for there new Tiki Room.

On 2012-07-26 15:34, Tiki-ESP wrote:
Where do you get the wire-mesh? And what is being used to make the lava formation - concrete?

You have to wait for the show!!

Among other things that we got done last night, I was up till about 1:00am, making my first ever hanging lamp. Kind of a rush job and if I were to go back and do it again, I'd do a lot of it differently. Anyway, it came out pretty good for a quick one. I was basing it on a mid-century Danish Modern modern design with atomic and tiki details.

Sorry for the bad photos

Two 'wings' are burnt and two have been scrubbed at this point.

Tada!

More better pictures of everything, eventually.

On 2012-07-26 22:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2012-07-26 15:34, Tiki-ESP wrote:

You have to wait for the show!!

Awaiting an invite, and we can chat then.

That's one fast build out
Sweet

Hell of a party! place looks great!

Thanks, Spike,Dinah & Ben
Hell of a space you folks built in just a few days!
I am honored you used a couple of my mug shelves for the decor.

Great bunch of TC locals,The Hula Girls played a set for us & (Trader Sam's) Kelly
slung some tasty cocktails at us!!!

Great way to break "The Breezeway" in, We had ourselves some fun.

The wrap party was awesome and super thanks to EVERYONE who was involved with this project!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Fun for you!
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2012-07-29 09:47 ]

Wrap Party!

Thanks to all of our buddies for coming to help out with drinking some cocktails and being background cast to our production. I'm sorry that we couldn't make this an open invitation to everyone but we had to keep it a manageable crowd for the cameras.

I'll be posting more progress pics, this week, as well as some shots of the final look of the bar! Stay tuned!!

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-07-29 14:07 ]

J

Breezeway ?? Ok, now I get it. :)

That smoking lava fountain was cool, man !!

And what a music critic that little dog is. He bit DJ Bigtikidude. :D

I can't get No Respect!

Jeff(btd)

Did BTD bite the dog back?

Looking forward to seeing the build. Looks like you had fun filming and a great party.

On 2012-07-29 20:30, Brudda Bear wrote:

Did BTD bite the dog back?

I wanted to eat the little thing,
but I ended up having a handful of little eggrolls.

Its funny, I'm not a dog person,
but dogs usually like me.

Jeff(btd)

Back to the build!

Here's Ben, trimming out the 'pass through' window to the kitchen. The freshly torched tiki now sits on the waterfall/ volcano feature.

Mounting my carved panels on the entrance to the garage...

Pass through window from the kitchen - good idea!

Beginning of the ceiling treatment

The bamboo was lashed together using coconut rope, shortly after this photo was taken.

We also placed bamboo poles across the criss cross thing in the window out to the street for a little added security. Unfortunately, it turns out that our dog, Astro, can climb the waterfall thing like a mountain goat and jump right out the window now. Gonna have to address that somehow...

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-07-30 12:49 ]

Dinah, torching and scrubbing the bar top...

The frame of the bar constructed...

Ben nailing the bamboo on...

Bamboo martian... or something...

Great Pics Spike!!!

I don't remember them being taken.

It was all a blur....

The Martian Pic is crackin' me up.

I have a couple to post soon.

Getting ready for some shopin'!!!

Great place to shop.

Painting the decorative 'mid-century' diamonds

Hanging the diamonds... Astro looks like he's either searching for something to eat or to run off with.

And now some Bosko! We had one of his spear guys already. Once we realized our plan with the diamonds, we had Bosko rush another opposite facing spear guy out to us, THAT week.

I think the end result is AMAZING. Dinah and I were really happy with the overall look. Ben did a GREAT job in trimming out the diamonds as well. The spacing between them... Everything..... just worked out perfectly.

Next will be installing the bar!

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-07-31 09:34 ]

Cant wait to see the final photos after you get it all decorated congrats guys Ben does it again.

The bar ties in great with the big diamonds without matching too closely. Totally Ben's design and it came out killer!

Here's Ben, attaching an OA mask to the front of the bar. It's a new mask from OA that was modeled off of one that was fairly recently dug up on the Island of Kauaii.

Late night painting party

We wanted to litterally create a divide between The Breezeway and the rest of the backyard. Thus, the reason for painting The Breezeway floor. We just followed the 1961 patio cement lines to determine our border.

The completed bar and skylight.

This is to the left of the bar. There has been all kinds of controvery within the building team about having a WHITE midcentury modern tulip table in the middle of the room. We dig it though. It does exactly what we want it to do; lend a bit of atomic age aesthetic to a very organic space. Once we really fill the space with more lamps and an ashtray or something, I think it'll blend nicely.

We're working on more lamps for The Breezeway, this weekend. There are also some finishing touches to get the waterfall thing to work perfectly before I post any more pics of it as well. Looking forward to adding more and more and more....

TM

Looking good, matt!

That table fits perfectly!

Thanks, Mick!

Sweet looking space. Quick build too. Congrats on the new bar! I poached some good ideas from your build. Back to work on my bar...

How was the lamp building party?

Thanks, Trailerpark! I'd love to hear what you liked about our build.

Ben, Dinah and I spent a LOT of Saturday wrapping inflatable balls with yarn in order to make some string lamps. What a mess! Probably won't ever do that again. We'll post pics if these things ever dry.

We DID end up finishing a new lamp though!
Enjoy the process:

Cut the wood...

After burning the wood...

Stapled the walls on. We had some of this material leftover from when I remodeled the kitchen in the house. Kind of a fibrous matting paper.

All boxed in...

Building the roof line (you can see the string lamps drying in the background)...

Our thatched roof...

It was getting dark by the time we got to working on the bottom of the lamp, so please excuse the dark photo. We added some tapa and framed it out with leftover split bamboo.

Hanging with a blue light

The image that we posted on Instagram. You can follow us @thehulagirls

Hope you dig it! We are pretty happy with the finished outcome, although the tapa on the bottom is less translucent on one side than it is on the other. We may tear that section apart and redo it so that it's 'perfect' to our expectations.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-08-06 15:48 ]

I liked how you made a lot of the decor yourself. The trim panels, the orange diamonds, the lamps. The ceiling is both cool and functional. You know you've got a cool tiki bar when you have a lava waterfall and a mountain goat...

Thanks! Yeah, I can't help but want to make as much of this stuff as possible. It's more cost effective, not that hard to do, and pretty rewarding if you have the time!

That damned mountain goat has learned that he can get out of the yard by jumping out of that window.
We're gonna have to figure something out with that.

Barbed Wire & Machine Gun Towers, Herr Spike!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies