Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Breezeway *New A-Frame pics up!* - Costa Mesa, CA

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Spent most of Saturday carving and assembling these four faced stools for the bar. Ben had brought some over just like these to 'stage' for the filming.
We dug 'em so much, I had to make some myself. Still need to paint them, but I think they came out alright.

Contact Ben if you want some of your own. His are really cool!

On 2012-08-06 15:46, Luckydesigns wrote:

Ben, Dinah and I spent a LOT of Saturday wrapping inflatable balls with yarn in order to make some string lamps. What a mess! Probably won't ever do that again. We'll post pics if these things ever dry.

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-08-06 15:48 ]

I stopped by for a quickie yesterday and your balls felt hard to me!;) Arrrrrrr!!! ( Stiffy! Too funny!

Man, Oh Man, This place looks Fantastic!! Amazing Job! Looks like a great wrap party too! Congratulations!!

Thanks Al!

This weekend may be one of our first in a while without a Hula Girls show to play! Hope to get more work done of the Breezeway! Finish those yarn lamps, start working on some hanging chunk resin lamps and more traditional tiki lamps... That's the plan anyway!

T

The "Breezeway" looks awesome & it came together so fast. You all did a great job.

Picked up some fish net floats yesterday. Gonna see how we can mix the vintage nautical with our modern aesthetic!
Stay tuned.

Here are a couple more pictures of the bar and a new vintage float that we just hung.

In keeping with our mid-century tiki modern theme, we also tried our hand at making a resin chunk lamp this weekend.

Also finally cut a hole in the string lamp that we had made. We lit it with an available bulb that we had laying around, though I think we will end up opting for an oversized low wattage frosted white bulb.

Will post pictures of them lit up at night when we finish getting everything together.

We finally lit and hung the resin chunk lamp that we made. Proabably still need to make one more so that we can hang them both over the table.
If only resin wasn't so damned expensive....

Looking good Spike!

Its just getting better and better :D. Looks awesome!!!!

Built a new lamp yesterday. Love how it looks lit up!

Again, if you'd like to see more photos like this (and of tikis, hot rods, surf stuff, and more), follow us on Instagram @thehulagirls

Here are some new pics!

I carved this guy several years ago. He sits next to the volcano waterfall now.

The bar with some amazing Bosko art and some stool that I made/ carved. Oh, and our dog, Astro.

About three years ago, I planted a lime tree specifically for the purpose of use in maitais. With that tree starting to produce fruit now, we decided to get a mint plant. Actually AtomicTikiPunk and his wife gave this plant to us... The mint is quickly taking over the whole damned yard! Grows like crazy!! If only the lime tree would do the same!

Some trim that I carved for the walls. Very much in the style of Witco/ Bosko.

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-10-15 16:07 ]

Looking great, Spike...is the waterfall flowing yet?
it looks like you need to have a party to use up that mint
before it tries to strangle you!

You guy's were rockin Saturday.

Looking good, Spike! Make sure you hit Don's on 10/29!

About three years ago, I planted a lime tree specifically for the purpose of use in maitais. With that tree starting to produce fruit now, we decided to get a mint plant. Actually AtomicTikiPunk and his wife gave this plant to us... The mint is quickly taking over the whole damned yard! Grows like crazy!! If only the lime tree would do the same!

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-10-15 16:07 ]

The mint plant will start to take over. At the community garden I garden at they won't let us plant any kind of mint. Their roots are actually rhizomes so you could start to see mint popping up 10 feet away. Keep it contained in a pot and watch out because the rhizomes will sneak through the drain hole in the bottom. It's still a great plant to have.

Thanks for the info on the mint, Lori. I'll have to stop the free roaming bush before it gets out of control!

Yeah, ATP, the waterfall works great now. After silicone-ing and re-cementing it like three times, it's now watertight and runs great. Very soothing sound and that table next to it has now become my primary songwriting inspiration spot. Stoked!

Maybe I can start selling mint at the DtB International Marketplace??
That strangling thing was super funny. It DOES look pretty wild!

What happens at Dons on 10/29, Kahuna?

Yes, mint will take over everything. I planted one little plant last year and this year I have had 2 mojito fests where I invite everyone over just to use some of the mint that I had to cut down cause they were blocking sunlight to my peppers. I like having a lot of mint, but I don't know what next year will hold.

Also, it lasts longer after you pick it if you do not wash it. You can also refridgerate it or freeze it for quite awhile.

As for your lime tree, My lime tree likes a lot of water and fertilizer. I fertilize it once a month and try to water it as close to everyday as I can. If you keep it up you will have more limes than you can use, but it will take a few years.

Hope that helps out a little.

Spike, Since Rick "Big Kahuna" is coming out from Boston to visit us all
Mon. Oct. 29th (TC Monday at Don's) it has been declared "Big Kahuna" Monday
in Ricks honor.....so if you can only make just one Monday at Don's
put Oct 29th on your calender.

C

Thanks for the inspiration Spike.

I am really getting an itch to convert a room in my house to a Tiki room and I just don't know where to start.

Oh, yeah. The first step is to convince Mrs. Chippy. Then I have to figure out where to start.

Oh... gotcha ATP. Maybe we'll be able to come by.

Glad I can help to inspire, Chippy. Just trying to make our space as cool as possible. I love this section of TC too. Tons of inspiration!!

Rum Barrels, last night, in The Breezeway!
First try at making them and with 13 ingredients, it took a LONG time... But they turned out super tasty!

....or maybe make a "Mint Hedge"...

Picked up a new, vintage 1960's faux bamboo patio set for The Breezeway. Got it in Palm Springs, where the orchards of amazing 1940s-1960s stuff are lush and bountiful and ripe for the picking.
The set really changes the look of the space. Much better and more appropriate than our previous oversized tulip table.

Now, I will take credit for that set! aren't you glad you took my advice :)
looks perfect in The Breezeway Matt!

Looks like a very inviting space.
Nicely done

Thanks, Derek!
Yeah, ATP pretty much talked me into it. It was a big, unexpected purchase, but when you see something rare and vintage, you gotta jump on it or you may never find one again. Thanks for the shove, Lance.

ATP is a wonderful nag!!! Nice set...looks great in your space.

Just for that, we will see you tonight at Don's!

Built another resin chunk lamp for The Breezeway, this weekend. They look really good in pairs!

Those are nice. They look great. :D

HT

Spike.
How do you make the chunks? What are you molding? Did you hand carve them? Or did you mold rubber/silicone then break it up by hand, and then mold that to pour the resin into?
I'm weighing my options right now as to how to go about it.

It is "Castin' Craft" resin that I then pour into tupperware containers to set. Once it hardens, I break the crunks up with a hammer.

The Castin Craft stuff makes it a pretty expensive art proj. Like $30 for one batch of the stuff, and you need about two batches of it. Not horrible if you are making it for yourself. Too expensive to make it worth it to sell though (unless I can find another source for hard curing tintable resin).

That's the quick version. Hope it points you in the right direction!!

I am waiting on pins & needles for the resin chunk lamp toilet seat
your making for the The Breezeway bathroom! :lol:

K

Atomic Punk, that's hilarious. Awesome lookin' ceiling!! That thing filled up quickly. Nice work,

HT

On 2012-12-19 13:24, Luckydesigns wrote:
It is "Castin' Craft" resin that I then pour into tupperware containers to set. Once it hardens, I break the crunks up with a hammer.

The Castin Craft stuff makes it a pretty expensive art proj. Like $30 for one batch of the stuff, and you need about two batches of it. Not horrible if you are making it for yourself. Too expensive to make it worth it to sell though (unless I can find another source for hard curing tintable resin).

That's the quick version. Hope it points you in the right direction!!

Mahalo!

I was definitely over-thinking it. The answer is yes, there's a lot more cost effective resins. Molding/casting is one of the things I do at work everyday. Hence why I was WAY over-thinking it. I'll give it a try with some resins and post the results at some point in the next month or two.

Aloha!

Please do! I tried some other resin that I found at Home Depot too... Wasn't too impressed with it.
There's a place around here that does boat repairs and I guess they sell a ton of resin there. Haven't looked into it yet...

HT

Absolutely man. I'm on vacation the next two weeks, but maybe I'll sneak into work and make a lamp.
I've got a moai mold that would look nice with the chunks.

Finished two of these new hanging speaker boxes for The Breezeway! Wired to my computer and activated from my phone...
Nice to finally have some music in there!!

HT

I ordered a few types of resin.
There's one that's only semi-transparent that I think will diffuse the light really well.
I'll keep you updated!

W

Your chunk lamps are awesome, as is the whole build!

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

A little Breezeway update... I've been carving a ton in the Breezeway, lately. Here are some progress pics of a couple of 4-faced guys that I carved. I'll post more of other signs and stuff as I get them done.

Here's a more recent picture of the waterfall too! We added some foliage and vintage fish net floats.

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 12:32 PM

Wow! It is really looking good... nice work

Q
Q-tiki posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 1:55 PM

Wow. Those two-toned dudes are very nice! Great job!!

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 2:11 PM

On 2013-02-08 12:23, Luckydesigns wrote:

Love these! Very cool

BK

I agree!

Showing your "Bosko" influence Spike looking good my man!
I can't help but notice those staggered mug shelves on the opposite wall :lol:

TM

On 2013-02-08 12:23, Luckydesigns wrote:
A little Breezeway update... I've been carving a ton in the Breezeway, lately. Here are some progress pics of a couple of 4-faced guys that I carved. I'll post more of other signs and stuff as I get them done.

These are incredible!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies