Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

P
porco posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2013 1:04 PM

On 2013-07-08 12:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
"Maybe I can find that thread about Robert from Thatch..."

good lord. i'm just making the connection that i knew rob from years ago, and he's already been in and out of the tiki business since!

what a small freaking world.

Hmmm... Certainly looks like the guy on the left. Though the one I have is cracked, and the interior wood shows the same age as the exterior. I have a hard time believing they're less than 30-40 years old. I wonder how many years "for years" encompases.

Paid 400 for the pair, with a couple of pricy Munktiki and Tiki Farm mugs thrown in, so I'm happy either way. Interesting.

[ Edited by: Boscorooty 2013-07-08 16:48 ]

HT

On 2013-07-08 16:48, Boscorooty wrote:
Hmmm... Certainly looks like the guy on the left. Though the one I have is cracked, and the interior wood shows the same age as the exterior. I have a hard time believing they're less than 30-40 years old. I wonder how many years "for years" encompases.

Paid 400 for the pair, with a couple of pricy Munktiki and Tiki Farm mugs thrown in, so I'm happy either way. Interesting.

[ Edited by: Boscorooty 2013-07-08 16:48 ]

Post pics of the mugs in Tiki Finds! :)

On 2011-02-04 12:33, TIKI DAVID wrote:

I just got one of these in my grubby little mitts yesterday as a Get Well gift... It's a clock about 24" long, probably 3"thick, man tha thing is super heavy, SOLID wood and made to hang on the wall obviously. Anyone have any information as to who made it, where it came from, and how common they are? I've only seen this picture which I snitched off another thread. I will try to get a better picture soon. Mahalo in advance. Oh... found in the Mainlander territory to boot.

T

Broke out the pledge and cleaned this treasure up. I also happened to have a clock kit in my shop that fit perfect... she's up and running like a top.. can't get over how heavy it is.

I bought this canoe last year in a second hand store, it was quite cheap. It's roughly 56 cm/22 inches long. The people and paddles were all in a plastic bag so I'm not sure if I've placed them correctly. It's rather heavy, some sort of hardwood.

The toothy animal figurehead (and fish tail) reminds me a bit of this one, but the figures and decorations are somewhat different: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43287&forum=5

Does anyone know where it comes from? Should the tallest figure be at the front or at the back?

On 2013-08-04 06:07, Cheese Pirate wrote:
I bought this canoe last year in a second hand store, it was quite cheap. It's roughly 56 cm/22 inches long. The people and paddles were all in a plastic bag so I'm not sure if I've placed them correctly. It's rather heavy, some sort of hardwood.

The toothy animal figurehead (and fish tail) reminds me a bit of this one, but the figures and decorations are somewhat different: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43287&forum=5

Does anyone know where it comes from? Should the tallest figure be at the front or at the back?

Hey CP, Datsa nice find! I wonder how it manage to sail through the North Sea?
Congratulations!

I can say for certain it is not Marquesan, Hawaiian or Maori

The Snake depiction on the canoe and the design of the warriors suggests it is of "Asian" origin
I will need to do more research to narrow it down to which country.

It is not a Tiki design but would still look very cool in a home lounge.

On 2013-08-04 11:45, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I can say for certain it is not Marquesan, Hawaiian or Maori

The Snake depiction on the canoe and the design of the warriors suggests it is of "Asian" origin
I will need to do more research to narrow it down to which country.

It is not a Tiki design but would still look very cool in a home lounge.

At least I know a little bit more about it now, thank you! I agree that it looks very cool even though it isn't Tiki. It's currently on display on a shelf in my living room.

On 2013-08-04 11:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Hey CP, Datsa nice find! I wonder how it manage to sail through the North Sea?
Congratulations!

Thanks! It's not easy finding anything Tiki/South Pacific related up here in the icy wastes. Once in a blue moon I might find a Kon-Tiki item...it seems a lot easier to find African and Asian items.

D

Hey all! I apologize in advance if there is a section that already answers my question but since my laptop was recently stolen navigating from my phone is the best I can do. I'm looking for a little help from the experts! My fiance and I bought this tiki from a hand carver in Honolulu. We were told it was the Tiki God of Luck. After researching a bit it looks to be the Tiki God of Money. Do you guys know the answer for sure just by a photo of the tiki? Any info would be appreciated! Thank you!

[ Edited by: D.Brown 2013-08-14 02:20 ]

It's really the Tiki God of Hawaii Tourists.

D.Brown,

That tiki most commonly carved by Tongan and Samoan families in the tourist parts of Hawaii, especially at the International Marketplace. Families have been carving that style for years and years. 50 year old ones and ones carved yesterday all have similar features, with tiny differences.

Many people on this forum feel these are not "Tiki", being Not mid century and mass produced.

Millions and millions of others, including myself, love these, and feel they are Tiki, being sold on polynesian islands, and made by polynesian people.

As far as meaning...luck, money, etc.... You can believe whatever you want. There's no definitive answer. Hopefully what it does represent is your time on the islands and good memories of your honeymoon.

D

Thank you very much for your reply! This was perfect. We will indeed always have it as a reminder of our time there and see it as a lasting memory rather than a token of some sort. May your tiki hunting be successful. Thank you again!

Hello all,

I'm new to getting more serious about finding out more details about what kind of tiki items I have collected. I use ooga mooga primarily to ID some of my finds but I am having difficulty with a few pieces. I do pretty much all of my shopping at antique store or thrift shops. My collection is not big right now only about 15 pieces, of course I've got some tiki leilani's all double sided and on double sided usa version. My best mug is a Mauna Loa of Detroit it's a great mug and i'll post pictures of my small collection eventually but I would like help identifying these one's.

he looks like a maoi but at the same time a little different. I haven't been able to find one that is mostly smooth with the lines on the eyes and mouth only. the bottom rim also has a japan stamp on it

the next is a couple to double faced (both sides different. I would call the bowl style I can't really tell if i would consider them home made or not. so I'm hoping someone can help me out with that. The pictures are of the two mugs all i did was spin them to show the opposite side.

I am very grateful for any help. I've been searching and looking but I haven't been able to find a match for anything maybe i'm using the wrong key words but I am also unfamiliar with a lot of the manufacturers.

The second grouping looks to me like homemade mugs using the Duncan molds. The first one is curious, I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.

On 2013-08-18 19:44, TikiTacky wrote:
The second grouping looks to me like homemade mugs using the Duncan molds. The first one is curious, I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.

I found some that were green and had a stamping of "MT.FUJI INN OMAHA NEBR" Stamped on the plate on the back but like I said they were all green and mine is unstamped. i figured the other ones were homemade but they look interesting enough.

AT

Haven't seen anything like this around, unglazed and no ID marks.
Most likely homemade but not bad quality.

Anyone know something more about this little guy that was sitting solo on a shelf in downtown Kona?

This is a mystery mug -- at least to us. Anybody know what it means or where it's from? Our guess is 80s, possibly sorority event giveaway or some such.

It says "Polynesian Paradise" at top and the bottom it looks like it says "Snowflake." Snowflake? Hope someone knows.

T

On 2013-08-22 17:46, mike and marie wrote:
This is a mystery mug -- at least to us. Anybody know what it means or where it's from? Our guess is 80s, possibly sorority event giveaway or some such.

It says "Polynesian Paradise" at top and the bottom it looks like it says "Snowflake." Snowflake? Hope someone knows.

Snowflake Drink Recipe

1 oz. Anisette
1 oz. Rum, white
1 oz. Vermouth, extra dry

Cheers!

TT

Found this guy today at a Habitat Restore for $3. I was shocked when I flipped it over. Further investigation at home found initials on the side that looked like Aro 70. After some research it appears to be very similar to the octopus mug. Anyone have any info on this mug? Thing is big too, can hold 26oz

[ Edited by: tiki toli 2013-08-23 19:58 ]

Aloha,

*On 2013-08-23 16:28, Tiki Toli wrote:*Anyone have any info on this mug?

It is indeed a Polynesian Pottery mug from the Trader Vic's in Waikiki Circa 1967-74... Many variants were used there. suggest you add it to the Crypto-mug thread in collecting. Quite jealous. See many more in the book..

Best,

Phillip

TT

On 2013-08-23 17:29, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

*On 2013-08-23 16:28, Tiki Toli wrote:*Anyone have any info on this mug?

It is indeed a Polynesian Pottery mug from the Trader Vic's in Waikiki Circa 1967-74... Many variants were used there. suggest you add it to the Crypto-mug thread in collecting. Quite jealous. See many more in the book..

Best,

Phillip

Thanks Phillip thats what I was hoping to hear! I'll put it on the Crypto thread now

G

Dear Folks of Tiki Central,

Gotta question for you. Can anyone identify this? (oh boy, I bet you've never heard this one before) I have "inherited" this, what I think is a Tiki head while helping friends pack up the belongings of their grandmother. They were going to just pitch it, but I asked to have it, and no one argued. It was brought back from Hawaii in 1970 while their grandparents were on vacation. That's all the relatives knew of it.

As you can see, from the pictures, its very crude. I do know the wood is Koa. And it appears to have a dark chocolate stain added to it. But for the life of me, the representation here is unlike any Hawaiian Tiki I've ever seen.

Is it just a crude piece made for tourist? Is it even Hawaiian? My late wife was 1/4 Hawaiian, and if it is something that is truly of the Islands, then I would want to pass it on to our kids, hopefully with some knowledge of what it story is. If not...?

I thank you all for your time,
GLLWolf
Greg

T

On 2013-08-30 12:09, GLLWolf wrote:

Is it just a crude piece made for tourist? Is it even Hawaiian?

GLLWolf
Greg

Hi GLLWolf,

Thanks for your question. According to the Book of Tiki, the definitive tome on all things Tiki, your find would be classified as a "nameless piece of hacked wood". But it would still make a nice garden ornament or doorstop, depending on its size.

Mahalo!

G

On 2013-08-31 05:05, tikigreg wrote:

Hi GLLWolf,

Thanks for your question. According to the Book of Tiki, the definitive tome on all things Tiki, your find would be classified as a "nameless piece of hacked wood". But it would still make a nice garden ornament or doorstop, depending on its size.

Mahalo!

So what you're saying...if I am following you correctly...and correct me if I am wrong...is if I wanted to remove the straw head off my scarecrow in my garden and stick this on it, in its place, I wouldn't be violating any Hawaiian cultural traditions?

"nameless piece of hacked wood"...that did make me chuckle. Thank you for response. I figured it was more closely related to a (~~) than :tiki:

put it on Ebay and call it 'WITCO'

G

Thanks Tiki David...I will do that.

On 2013-09-01 05:17, GLLWolf wrote:
Thanks Tiki David...I will do that.

And make sure you add...super rare, cuz I never saw a Witco like that before!

T

I picked up a staff last week, it's 5'10"...

The bird on top is missing the feathers on the back of it's head and wings (any ideas what they may have looked like?)

he's standing on a moai

who's on a Marquesian (?)

who's atop

standing on

and she's sitting on a PNG mask

all this is above this

So here are the questions, could this have been made by Oceanic Arts? What was WEW64?

A little about that estate sale it came from, Pete Lovely was a Volkswagen dealer who from the late '50's to the early '70's was a racer car driver, European GT, Sebring, LeMans and won the first Leguna Seca. So you may see why I find this interesting.
Was told the wings were off by '74 from a Xmas photo and an older relative(?) said the wife may have busted this over his head or vice versa and it didn't sound like he was kidding!
Any ideas?

aloha, tikicoma

Hi folks-

Picked up this set of HUGE hanging bamboo basket lamps over the weekend.

They came from a couple in Indianapolis who got them at an estate sale somewhere close by, in the Midwest (though they couldn't recall where it was), and said there was a ton of other similar lighting in large tubs (and that this was some time ago.)

These are BIG... each lamp hangs like a pendulum, at over 5ft long.

They were clearly hardwired, once upon a time, into some VERY high ceilings.

They're definitely old, based on the patina of the wood, and the condition of the wall mounts and the switches on them.

They almost look like fish trap lights (but are mounted the wrong way) and they kinda look like snow shoes, so I wonder if they were in a lodge or something?

But they're made of bamboo, which screams tiki to me...

Anybody ever seen anything like these?

You can get a sense of the scale in these photos- those are the bamboo circular club chairs we have in our living room in the background (and these puppies are laying right next to 'em...)

Experts... please expert-ify...

--Pete

On 2013-09-01 21:42, tikicoma wrote:
I picked up a staff last week, it's 5'10"...

It's amazing we don't see more staffs/walking sticks with tiki images...

Aloha, I picked this up from an older man that said he brought this back from a restaurant in flordia approx. 20- 25 years ago. It heavy and looks to be carved from Palm. It appears to look very similar to the masks hanging on the exterior of the Hala Kahiki. Any thoughts?

S

A friend of mine has this silk print. It's about 37"x59". His mom bought it for him about 2 decades ago when she was on a Hawaiian & Tahitian cruise. There doesn't seem to be an artist signature or any tag with a brand. Touristy kitsch or treasured artifact? Any ideas?

T

I found this black velvet and know absolutely nothing about it other than it has a tear, it's filthy, the frame is jacked up and I think it's gorgeous... does anyone have any info? or is it just a kids art project? I want to know it's ok to try to make it look good... the picture is awesome... it truly is a filthy dirty mess in person.

Ummmm, Somebody else take this one........

T

I take that as an "It's ok to cut this outta the frame and use it as gift wrap!?!"

On 2013-10-06 03:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

couple problems with your velvet painting.

one, certain people here don't consider that painting "tiki", so don't expect to much help. So help identifying it may not happen.

two, years ago I spoke and did a deal with the super nice people that ran/run the black velvet museum. After the deal, I asked about some hibiscus paintings I have. They explained one of the biggest problems with black velvet art is that most is done by street painters and often in foreign countries. These artists are about making money, tourism, quick street sales, often they don't sign them, and very little is known about them. Outside of the famous ones, nobody really keeps track of these artists.

All that matters is YOU like it. Hang it up and Enjoy it man.....

T

I still think it's cool, gonna try to clean it. Maybe re-frame it myself. :)

On 2013-10-06 20:34, Tikifan1 wrote:
I take that as an "It's ok to cut this outta the frame and use it as gift wrap!?!"

On 2013-10-06 03:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

ErichTroudt gave you the best answer I think you will get, many of these
simple works came from Vietnam & other Asian countries
and are exactly that, cheap tourist art.

That said, I would never advocate the disfiguring or destruction of any art
no matter how amateurish that work may be, you like it and you should enjoy it
there should also be no problem putting it in another frame that matches your taste.

T

I think it's pretty cool, I realize it's not exactly "tiki" but it is worthy of saving if I can. I'm not here to debate or inflame anyone's sense of authenticity. I just wanted to see if I could dig up some info. I appreciate the help.

On 2013-10-07 20:15, Tikifan1 wrote:
I think it's pretty cool, I realize it's not exactly "tiki" but it is worthy of saving if I can. I'm not here to debate or inflame anyone's sense of authenticity. I just wanted to see if I could dig up some info. I appreciate the help.

Tikifan1.
I’m not a moderator but if I were I would move this thread to" Beyond tiki”.
Nice velvet
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-07 20:36 ]

T

Yes I agree, and I should have posted this in Beyond Tiki to begin with... If a moderator could move this it would be muchly appreciated. Mahalo!

H

On 2013-10-08 08:45, Tikifan1 wrote:
Yes I agree, and I should have posted this in Beyond Tiki to begin with... If a moderator could move this it would be muchly appreciated. Mahalo!

Unfortunately Tiki Central is not designed to allow the splitting and merging of topics. You can bet though that if it was, I'd have a lot more work to do! :)

On 2013-10-08 09:43, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2013-10-08 08:45, Tikifan1 wrote:

Unfortunately Tiki Central is not designed to allow the splitting and merging of topics. You can bet though that if it was, I'd have a lot more work to do! :)

Haka, I certainly appreciate the effort you and the other moderators put forth-this is a very enjoyable and educational site.
Mahalo
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-08 10:33 ]

Okay, let me start by saying...I know this isn't "tiki", but I can't figure out what culture it is....

Doesn't seem to be quite right for Japan Noh, the old korean stuff usually have big teeth....

The bird on his head has me totally stumped.....

My buddy owns it, wants help identifying it....I know some of you study other cultures....

Any ideas?

Well it's eating a corn dog.....

TM

Malaysian?

H

By the looks of the Shaman raddles....Northwest Coast Indian Totem carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies