Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

I'm not by my copy of Arts of Micronesia book right now, but I'd say Chuuk.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-04-18 17:36 ]

Hey guys! I picked up a couple Sang Kung peanut tiki mug with jewel eyes. The Bottom is marked "Sang Kung A". I'm having trouble finding any info on it, and it's not on Ooga Mooga. Anyone have any ideas?

Hello,

My name is Jefferson. I have a tiki mask that my Great Uncle got in WWII. I don't know much about the origin of the mask or it's value. I have searched, but do not find any like it.

It was given to me as a gift several years ago and I am very proud to have it on my wall. Can anyone give me an idea of what I have? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome Jefferson, unfortunately what you have is not a "Tiki" mask
and is not based on any South Pacific/Polynesian influence
just in case your fucking with us, good one! but still not Tiki.
better luck next time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, first off...I'm serious about trying to find out the origin of this mask. Second, I just shared the story told by my family...true or not. Third, I have found several masks of very similar style for sale that state they are Philippine Tiki masks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Tiki-Mask-Tribal-Wall-Art-Decor-11-5-X-8-5-Made-in-Philippines-/151057332938
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Happy-Sad-Comedy-Tragedy-Alii-Woods-Tiki-Masks-Honolulu-Made-in-Philippines-/201071528810

I apologize to anyone thinking that I am wasting your time. I simply wanted to know what I have.

Thank you for any information you can give me, positive or negative.

Your mask could be a Tourist souvenir made in the Philippines. I could not provide any type of age or vintage info, however, you will find that those are not typically considered "Tiki" around here. If the mask was given to you as a gift from your family, just cherish it for what it is and accept that it isn't really Tiki.

• Dale

On 2014-04-21 17:27, MidMod Vintage wrote:
Hey guys! I picked up a couple Sang Kung peanut tiki mug with jewel eyes. The Bottom is marked "Sang Kung A". I'm having trouble finding any info on it, and it's not on Ooga Mooga. Anyone have any ideas?

Sang Kung is a Chinese manufacturer and importer. They were producing the mugs using a mold of the original. It's not a vintage piece, and doesn't have much value I'm afraid.

On 2014-04-24 07:07, Jeffro Bodine wrote:
Well, first off...I'm serious about trying to find out the origin of this mask. Second, I just shared the story told by my family...true or not. Third, I have found several masks of very similar style for sale that state they are Philippine Tiki masks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Tiki-Mask-Tribal-Wall-Art-Decor-11-5-X-8-5-Made-in-Philippines-/151057332938
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Happy-Sad-Comedy-Tragedy-Alii-Woods-Tiki-Masks-Honolulu-Made-in-Philippines-/201071528810

I apologize to anyone thinking that I am wasting your time. I simply wanted to know what I have.

Thank you for any information you can give me, positive or negative.

Please don't take my comments as an insult, we sometimes get folks posting as a joke
your mask does look like a Philippines carving, but is not Tiki in anyway
eBay is not the place to get accurate information on these kinds of items as 99 percent of the sellers
think any wood mask is a Tiki mask.

Just from your pictures the mask doesn't look as old as your being told it is, but that is just my informed opinion
these really starting showing up in the 1960s as tourist pieces carved in the Philippines and then imported
for sale to many countries, I would say you have one of the Comedy/Tragedy masks that normally came as a set.
Hey you like, enjoy it.

The patina is not right because the mask was in my Great Uncle's house when another room caught fire. When I inherited this piece, I cleaned off the smoke damage and put floor wax on the mask to protect the wood.

The mask was taken as a "war trophy" in WWII by my Great Uncle in the South Pacific...that's the family story. I have found similar masks from the Philippines, but none exactly like this one.

It just so happened that EBay (via a Google Image search)is the only place that I found similar looking masks, that's why I included the link to them...for you to see what I had to go by. I am not offended, but genuinely wanting to get a better understanding of what I have. I chose this source to reach out to for information because I felt that if enough educated eyes saw it, maybe I could get some good information.

I appreciate your candor and hope that I can get more information about this beautiful piece of my family history.

[ Edited by: Jeffro Bodine 2014-04-25 07:29 ]

On 2014-04-24 11:26, littlegiles wrote:
Your mask could be a Tourist souvenir made in the Philippines. I could not provide any type of age or vintage info, however, you will find that those are not typically considered "Tiki" around here. If the mask was given to you as a gift from your family, just cherish it for what it is and accept that it isn't really Tiki.

• Dale

Thank you, Dale.

T

Need some help here. Recently acquired this, uhm, bowl or planter or hibachi or...

It's 4 1/2inches high and 4 inches in diameter. It's got a real cool lava rock type treatment to it. No markings.

Could be a planter but it doesn't have the hole in the bottom for the water.

Could be a hibachi but it doesn't have the opening on the bottom.

Could be a drinking bowl but the material is a bit odd for it and it's a bit deep for a bowl.

Any ideas????????

Could you post a photo of the direct view of the faces on it?

House of Ku mentions it in this thread...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43129&forum=5&hilite=hula

Nice find...

U

Guacamole?

T

WOW.. some amazing memory skills. Thanks Erich Troudt for the link. Cool to see that someone else has one 2. It sorta answers the question of what it is. Consensus to be a planter (although it doesn't hold water?). Here's a couple more shots of the front of it

Tatoo, dats a cachepot. Flowerpots , planters, etc have drainage holes. Cachepots are used to hide a drab flowerpot and protect whatever the pot is sitting on. Lava being porous makes me wonder how effective this one is. Very cool nonetheless.
Cheers

D

Hi,

I've got a metal Tiki mug that I've been carting around for years that I'd love to learn more about. It's 7.5 inches tall by three inches wide. I dug it out of a pile in a consignment shop in Haverstraw, New York around ten years ago.

It's made of a bronze-ish metal that's gotten a green patina from over the years, although I can't rule out that it's not a metal coating over something less durable. It sure doesn't feel as heavy as you'd think solid metal would. No distinguishing marks on it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I am willing to bet it is not metal
but just the glaze on a ceramic mug.

D

On 2014-09-20 02:01, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I am willing to bet it is not metal
but just the glaze on a ceramic mug.

I'm bet you're right. There's probably just a good amount of metal in the glaze. (It smells like a bag of wet nickels.)

D

Never mind - I was letting my belief that it was metal make the search much harder.

Looks like it's a close knock-off of the Otagiri Mercantile Company Ku Tiki mold:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=2322

Think it might be a Jard knock-off?

Sorry to be such a newbie that I couldn't figure out how to research it.

What do you think this figure is? I am guessing an Aumakua Hawaiian figure (on steroids). Regardless I'm liking his creepy Karen Black tiki vibe.

It does resemble an Aumakua design, but I have never seen one with teeth
at least those listed in museums collections from the 1800s & early 1900s.

T

The book Hawaiian Sculpture shows a couple of Aumakua with teeth but the used human teeth. Not pointy ones.

aloha, tikicoma

Hi,

What is this or where is the origin? It's painted on thin barkcloth.

I have seen similar work from Sri Lanka...

Buddhist Devil Masks from Sri Lanka

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-10-28 18:06 ]

Bump. A lot of individual "I found this what is it?" threads lately. Try Tiki Finds or this thread rather than creating a new one for each find.

Wait, I just got this, any info?

DC

Trader Dick's bucket, now fill it full of rum & slide it down the bar Dusty....

ATP,

Shoot, you turned the page. Oh well. Here is your Harvey's bucket mug full of rum!

Trader Dick's never had a bucket mug BTW.

DC

It's official, I have gone senile....now what are we talking about?

E

I was trying to figure out what god this statue depicts and found this forum. From what I've seen, it kind of looks like Kane or Lono.

My great uncle asked me to research it online. He had it carved here in Hawaii by a Samoan artist 40 years ago. It's monkey pod wood. It's approximately 37 inches high, 22 inches wide, and 19 inches deep. He wanted me to find out its approximate value, and what I've seen online is around $300 or so. I don't know if the age increases the value or not.

Apologies for my ignorance... any suggestions would be appreciated to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Any clue what area this carving is from? It appears to be a canoe carving with either an infant offering/sacrifice or possibly a soul canoe for a departed soul. It's a very interesting carving and I've searched several books and online and can't find anything like it. To me it resembles a Maori carving the most.

It looks to be based on Maori art, but the artist has taken some artistic license
with the traditional/classic approach.

Found these two Tiki carvings today. Looks like someone tried to copy Witco style? These came from an estate in San Jose, CA. They appear to be carved columns. Anyone familiar with the carver or possibly the location they came from?

Thanks

PTD

Papua New Guinea war club??? Ambryn Island tamtam whacker????

On 2015-03-19 18:35, lancelink wrote:

Mortar for a mortar and pestle set.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2015-03-19 19:44 ]

T

On 2015-03-19 18:35, lancelink wrote:

Bar Muddler?

S

Can anyone tell me what this is and it's country of origin? I saw it at a Savers yesterday and the carving detail looks familiar to me but that's about it. Not sure if it's worth going back and grabbing.

(With and without flash to show detail).

S

Sweet. Thanks surfalaia.

Looks like a spaceman!

I think it's New Guinea but no idea really.

31" x 8"

Any ideas?

Does anyone recognize this mug? Can't find it online anywhere. There are no markings.

I was thinking OMC "bug eyed" Moai but the ears are definitely un-Moai-like.

My friend is selling the pair for $15.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2015-06-07 12:57 ]

I call them the bug-eyed buddha mugs, because they look like an earringed buddha and I first encountered them in a monestry here in Thailand.

They are a variation of the bug- moai mug, both mugs are still being churned out by a factory here.

UT

On 2015-06-07 12:55, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Does anyone recognize this mug? Can't find it online anywhere. There are no markings.

I was thinking OMC "bug eyed" Moai but the ears are definitely un-Moai-like.

My friend is selling the pair for $15.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2015-06-07 12:57 ]

I have won of those same mugs. Mine is shown on page twelve of this thread. Mine is green and marked for the Sziller restaurant. The mug is well made and heavy,

Does anyone know this tiki mug?

Looks like one Aloha Station did.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=12451&forum=7&start=375

[ Edited by: will carve 2015-06-13 07:35 ]

Anyone know where this lowball came from?

^
Don The Beachcombers.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies