Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

It is a Marquesasian Tiki from the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia.

More examples:

Thanks for your reply! I had already sorted that much out... but I just thought this tiki might have been an unusual find. I guess maybe not.

On 2015-08-15 00:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
It has the aesthetic of an Congolese (African) Fetish effigy
consistent with the pose and face looking up....

You need to stop trying to answer these on this thread; youre ALWAYS wrong!

Its a common souvenir cast piece.

Ive seen them in a few colors. There are a couple more around the same size and composition that Ive seen as well.

Buzzy Out!

H

On 2015-08-21 18:39, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2015-08-15 00:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
It has the aesthetic of an Congolese (African) Fetish effigy
consistent with the pose and face looking up....

You need to stop trying to answer these on this thread; youre ALWAYS wrong!

Its a common souvenir cast piece.

Ive seen them in a few colors. There are a couple more around the same size and composition that Ive seen as well.

Buzzy Out!

Wait, before this get's more confusing, ATP's above quote was in reference to this:

Yes (Thanks Karl!) I wasn't sure about the Micronesian Monkeyman (ErichTroudt nailed that one), but the Marquesasian, as well as the African Dogon Stool
is right on the mark, come on Buzzy, if your going to break my balls, get it right, I know, that you know your stuff :D

Here's mine

Info from HotTiki:

I found a photo that shows them being sold prior to 1953 in a shop in Wakiki...
they made a lot of them..
if you have the book on Lee tag the velvet painter on page 61 you will see the little marq on the table

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-08-23 14:40 ]

I also have a couple of dem Marq’s (small kine) in my collection.
I like em cuz they sit quietly watching while I fix up some drinks and they never complain.
Cheers

:)

On 2015-08-22 04:55, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
come on Buzzy, if your going to break my balls, get it right, I know, that you know your stuff :D

So you qualify this as you being "right":

Thread Question summarized: I found a tiki, and after some research, I found it was MARQUESAN. Is there anything special about THIS Marquesan tiki?

ATP's answer: Yes! That is a Marquesan tiki!

At least you do know one thing about African Art!
Buzzy Out!

I am actually pretty good at identifying things that are not Tiki :)
just as you misidentified my facetiousness, now go get your shine box!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-08-23 14:37 ]

Info from HotTiki:

I found a photo that shows them being sold prior to 1953 in a shop in Wakiki...
they made a lot of them..
if you have the book on Lee tag the velvet painter on page 61 you will see the little marq on the table

Good eye HotTiki

Thank you very much for the info. The pic of the tikis on the table is so helpful! Turns out it's not a sacred priceless artifact from an ancient lost tribe after all. Oh well... maybe next time.

But it's old enough to be my mother so I guess that's pretty cool.

Oh and also, Buzzy... I like the way you summarized my post. I honestly have no idea why I can't do that for myself. I do not possess even one ounce of conciseness. And you should have seen it BEFORE I pared it down! :)

And Hang10tiki - I didn't know who Lee Tag the velvet painter was, and neither did Google. I finally figured out that you probably typed Leeteg and it got vetoed by your spell check. Now by virtue of my search, I've resolved to get some black velvet in my life straightaway.

E

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping someone out there can give me more information on this mug, which I recently bought online:

The mug is a customized version of Tiki Farm's Tangaroa mug. The event date was July 18, 2014.
Many thanks!
e.

I could use some help on identifying my latest Thrift Store treasures.
Images are included on this post.

I have two small tiki mugs with "DL" stamped on the bottom. Does that mean Disneyland?
I have a hand carved mask with diamond-shaped designs on it. Does that look familiar to anyone?
Finally, I have what looks like a wall-hanging plaque with a gecko design.
Has anyone ever seen something like that?

Thanks for any information you can provide...

Thanks for any help you can give me.
I get a big kick out of identifying the places where this tiki stuff comes from...

Aloha,

DL are most probably the initials of the hobbyist who made the mugs...

The top mask is not Tiki, I will let Buzzy confirm if the bottom mask is also not Tiki.

Surf,
imho, the image on the second mask is a chameleon. I googled”chameleon images png tribes” and saw a couple of similar images on masks.
I browse PNG sites quite often and am merely guessing that your mask is/was someones souvenir from that region.
Nice mask-keep researching.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-09-17 13:22 ]

First post! Hi everyone! I've been lurking here and collecting for about a year now, and I've recently been gifted this amazing mask. I was hoping one of you learned tiki scholars might be able to educate me on it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Supposedly, it's quite old (50-60 years) and from Borneo. Vaguely reminiscent of Tiki Bob, I thought.

Cool name Vel.
I Dunno anything about it other than what you have shared here but I do know that I would display that dude in my tiki bar/
lounge proudly if it were mine.
mahalo

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-09-23 12:29 ]

But just for the record, not Tiki.

Hi I have a Tiki may parents brought to the main land in 1973. Looking for suggestions on what the value is and what I could do with it.
Thanks

H

On 2015-09-23 17:02, Toymaker62 wrote:
Hi I have a Tiki may parents brought to the main land in 1973. Looking for suggestions on what the value is and what I could do with it.
Thanks

It's a fern wood Tiki.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=1&topic=35730

What could you do with it? Give a gentle cleaning with a vacuum cleaner and then put it on display.

W

I picked this up at least 10 years ago in a Seattle junk shop. It was unmounted, I stuck it in the frame. It's about a foot tall, seems to be cast resin with an applied finish. The top of the head and the feet look like they had some hand shaping.

It had the two bolts in the back when I found it so I assume it was mounted to something at one point. A bit of wear of the finish on the chin and a cheek suggests that it had some regular contact, as would happen if it were a decorative element of a door pull.

I've poured over all the CoCo Joe's (and similar) designs I could find and it doesn't match any of those, nor is the finish like those pieces.

Nice Ku Woof. Great job mounting it.
Cheers

PolyArt made those big resin tikis.

Buzzy Out!

Not sure this is even really Tiki. Found on a ranch in a little Mexican town south of Tucson. Both sides of the same stacker, anyone recognize it? No manufacturers mark. (If it's something very common don't laugh at me, I'm not a collector :wink: )

Look sorta indian to me Mike but we’ll see what the experts have to say. Won’t be the first time I was wrong.
In any case, I would display em in my Happy Talk Lounge if dey were mine.
Cheers,
David

T

Any ideas about what this is? Polynesian, African os Indonesian? It looks like it's carved from palm and is about 3 feet. May be incomplete.

U

The carving looks Polynesian to me but I'm not the expert. I don't know where the foot is from.

Need help
Looks like treasure craft
But then again resembles this

Here it is

Can't make out imprint on the back

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-02-15 07:09 ]

Found it
Took the color choice off
And only searched handle mugs on ooga

H

On 2015-11-14 17:28, RingOfFire wrote:
Hello everyone!

Great community you have here!

I feel an affinity for pacific cultures, be it japanese gardens, polynesian art, haida gwai art and even west coast hippie art!

I bought this wooden shield several years ago because I recognized there was some real nice workmanship in it. I never was able to determine whether it was african art or polynesian art (no signature). I'd like to have your opinion on it:

[ Edited by: RingOfFire 2015-11-14 17:35 ]

I see typical African tribal patterns, so I am going with African.

well, the fan style circle pattern and the triangle pattern throughout, especially in the center, reminds me of the Yugoslavian folk art pieces. Flutes, wedding cups, etc.

I could be off, but thats where I'd start my research based on how nicely its carved and the patterns.

Hi All,

Does anyone know anything about the small ceramic cups?

It's a cup.....from Hawaii

Looks like homemade tourist swag & the term "Suck em Up"
was made popular by Don Ho from his 1969 song of the same name
so you can date it from, say 1970 to today as how old it is
but it does look newish.

Cool, Thanks!

F
Fugu posted on Tue, Apr 12, 2016 5:08 PM

Does this tiki look familiar to anyone? I feel like I've seen one just like this before, but couldn't quite find a match in any of the books. He's about 5.5 feet tall, looks to be older and made of palm.

Here's an interesting lamp I've not run across before, pulled from photos for an upcoming sale in Wisconsin:

https://www.estatesales.net/WI/Genoa-City/53128/1158516?highlight=Tiki+tiki

Anybody recognize it?

Picked this up today in Fredrick Md. We get a LOT of African stuff in this part of the east coast, but this doesnt look African to me- in particular the nose has sort of a Moa quality to it. So is it Polynesian of some sort?

H
Heath posted on Sun, Apr 17, 2016 3:40 PM

I would saw its a hobbyist attempt at chainsaw art by the way the cuts are done. Kinda trying to look like Witco I think. I would hang it on the wall in my bar.

Thanks Trav! It is definitely going on the wall!
It does look like chainsaw art most of the cuts are a suspiciously familiar width. The wood looks like it might be western fir. It is a pine of some sort but not the sappy southern variety.

It is Witco. But somebody else painted it blue

On 2016-04-17 17:10, happy buddha wrote:
It is Witco. But somebody else painted it blue

The blue cast comes from my phone somehow, it is stained dark brown.
Now if somebody could tell me how to delete the second copy of the first post I idiotically managed to put up there? (please- dont bother, I need to learn by doing- just wanted you all to know I already realized I screed that up somehow!)

E

Help!!!! I just picked up a GIANT fiberglass Tiki that resembles an old Coco Joe. The eyes light up red. It stands about six feet tall. Looking for any one who may know the history of this big boy?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies