Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 10:16 AM

This guy has been in a local 2nd hand store for months now... But Im not sure of its origins... Neither is the store keeper.

he wants 90 bucks for it! stands about 3.5' tall (and about 8" low :wink:)

Any ideas? PNG?
thanks for any help :)

Darren

Easter Island Kava Kava man.

At that size and price, I'd go back and get it right away.

Buzzy Out!

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 10:33 AM

sweet! thanks for the prompt reply! Ill go grab it on my lunch break!

:D :D :D :D

On 2012-11-01 10:33, Dagg wrote:
Ill go grab it on my lunch break!

If you get it home and find it doesn't fit on your mug shelf, I'll trade you a whole pile of tiki stuff for it. :wink:

Buzzy Out!

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 11:25 AM

On 2012-11-01 10:44, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2012-11-01 10:33, Dagg wrote:
Ill go grab it on my lunch break!

If you get it home and find it doesn't fit on your mug shelf, I'll trade you a whole pile of tiki stuff for it. :wink:

Buzzy Out!

Thanks for the offer Buzzy, but I think Ill keep him!

couldn't wait until lunch.. so I just went out and got him, they wouldn't budge on the 90 bucks... so 100 with tax.
Hes actually 43" tall and pretty heavy (ill weigh him l8ter)

Although he looks good on my desk, I think ill take him home to the lounge :)

S

might frighten any female co-workers..lol..you never know now-a-days

HT

You lucky bastard.

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 12:43 PM

On 2012-11-01 12:41, Hale Tiki wrote:
You lucky bastard.

you can have four monitors too.... :wink:

HT

On 2012-11-01 12:43, Dagg wrote:

On 2012-11-01 12:41, Hale Tiki wrote:
You lucky bastard.

you can have four monitors too.... :wink:

I see TC on one of them!
And actually, I can't work without at least 2. I even have a portable one for my laptop so that I can work with two monitors on the go.

I'll trade you the portable one for the tiki! Hahahaha

That's a great score!

DC

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2012 1:05 PM

On 2012-11-02 12:40, Dustycajun wrote:
That's a great score!

DC

Mine? Thanks!
still trying to figure out how great.... lol
been goggling for 24 hrs now. The only thing Ive found so far, is that my guy wins in the schlong department...

Is this carving inspired from somewhere in the South Pacific, Africa, or somewhere else? I picked him up off eBay. Thought he looked cool but not sure he's South Pacific.

Looks African Pop Tiki, the markings on the top of the head look similar to "Zulu" tribal markings.

PT, That guy is from Indonesia. I got one in a San Clemente last summer. Mine is resin and I too thought that he was African til I saw the label. I mix and match my tiki stuff with other "primitive art" whenever it seems (imho) to fit. Hey Lance , good to see you at Arts celebration-wish I could have chatted with you. C-ya in December

I thought that was you, David, but you were moving to fast.

Anyone know about this white and bamboo plaque?

Thanks Atomic and Nui 'umi 'umi. I thought he was probably not South Pacific per se but still liked his style. What about this monkey tiki looking lamp? There's a very similar carving on eBay (Guam Tiki) right now saying this style is from Guam.

C

Here I go,

These look to be cast carnival glass? Cast from an OMC slender marquesan moai. They have marks from where the mold pieces came together.

Does anybody know anything about them?

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

C

Next is a Ku mug from Jimmie's in Cache Creek, BC Canada. I found this whole I was in Vancouver last June. The seller didn't know anything about it and I can't find any info online (TC or otherwise). It kinda looks like it may have been a stacker or something.

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

On 2012-12-29 16:38, Cavemoai wrote:
Here I go,

These look to be cast carnival glass? Cast from an OMC slender marquesan moai. They have marks from where the mold pieces came together.

Does anybody know anything about them?

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

These are from Magic Sands Glass Studio .

On 2012-12-29 16:49, Cavemoai wrote:

Mahalo,

Thee Nocount

This could be a piece from Tildon Ware out of Canada. Just a guess though.

Here are two pieces I wasn't able to buy at this past Summer, and which puzzle me to this day. The first is a very worn carving that looks like it may not have been finished; I think it was about 4' tall. This thing looks vaguely familiar as if I've seen something like it in a book:

And here is a deeply carved wood wall hanging. I liked this one, though I can't pin down the influence. My first thought was African but the headgear in the right hand figure looks a bit like that of a Kachina. I could never find the actual owner to get the price, and then it sold to someone. It looks like it might be a section of something larger:

Input on what either of these are?

Wish I could be more help, but definitely not Tiki.

C

Thanks Mr. NoName!!

And here is a deeply carved wood wall hanging. I liked this one, though I can't pin down the influence. My first thought was African but the headgear in the right hand figure looks a bit like that of a Kachina. I could never find the actual owner to get the price, and then it sold to someone. It looks like it might be a section of something larger:

That's a storyboard, although I don't know the origin.

D
Dagg posted on Sun, Dec 30, 2012 7:55 PM

help a newbie out :) (again)

Tiki?

On 2012-12-30 19:55, Dagg wrote:

Tiki?

The piece on the left is possibly from the Asmat tribe of Papua (Dutch New Guinea or Irian Jaya) on the western half of New Guinea. Is it a vessel/bowl?
The piece on the right appears to be from Papua. More likely made further west into Indonesia for the tourist trade. The motifs on the front are very Asmat.
Typically, the western side of the island of New Guinea (Papua) makes more humanoid looking carvings. Whereas the eastern side (Papua New Guinea) makes more stylized and zoomorphic carvings.
The more humanoid the carving is the less tiki it would be considered. I would absolutely get the carving on the left because of how old it is even if it isn't considered tiki by some. It would fit in very well in a tiki bar. Or my collection. :)
Edit: This is an uneducated answer :lol: as I sit in front of one of my Tangaroa.
Edit2: And now I am changing my mind about the guy on the left. It could be from the Sepik Region on the Papua New Guinea side.

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-12-31 08:21 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-12-31 15:59 ]

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2012 8:16 AM

On 2012-12-31 07:36, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2012-12-30 19:55, Dagg wrote:

Tiki?

The piece on the left is possibly from the Asmat tribe of Papua (Dutch New Guinea or Irian Jaya) on the western half of New Guinea. Is it a vessel/bowl?
The piece on the right appears to be from Papua. More likely made further west into Indonesia for the tourist trade. The motifs on the front are very Asmat.
Typically, the western side of the island of New Guinea (Papua) makes more humanoid looking carvings. Whereas the eastern side (Papua New Guinea) makes more stylized and zoomorphic carvings.
The more humanoid the carving is the less tiki it would be considered. I would absolutely get the carving on the left because of how old it is even if it isn't considered tiki by some. It would fit in very well in a tiki bar. Or my collection. :)
Edit: This is an uneducated answer :lol: as I sit in front of one of my Tangaroa.

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-12-31 08:21 ]

sweet thanks for the info, my gut said png when I spotted it. Yes the thing on his head is a bowl/vessel
It stands appx 2.5-3' and is kind of light... He wants 50 bucks for it. Ill go back and get it today :)

Thanks again!
Darren

edit to add quote

[ Edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 10:01 ]

sweet thanks for the info, my gut said png when I spotted it. Yes the thing on his head is a bowl/vessel
It stands appx 2.5-3' and is kind of light... He wants 50 bucks for it. Ill go back and get it today :)

Thanks again!
Darren

edit to add quote

[ Edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 10:01 ]

And now I am changing my mind about the guy on the left. It could be from the Sepik Region on the Papua New Guinea side. :D

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2012 10:35 AM

Im googling the crap out of both of these right now.. lol

The store has two more (human like) pieces that i think are definitely asmat. But I cant afford all of them right now.
But for 50 bucks ill grab the vessel one and figure out exactly what it is later :)

ok I bought it, he took 45 bucks no tax. Score!

[ Edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 10:36 ]

[ Edited by: Dagg 2012-12-31 11:35 ]

Hey Dagg, I snagged this "chart" at a thrift store some years back. It's one of my most prized "tiki"finds. It hangs in a spare bedroom (very low light) that has evolved into a sitting room/tikiroom/study. I've never posted it cuz I don't want to damage it-I'm mister clumsy and I touch my favorite stuff as little as possible. With your recent inquiries on PNG items I thought that you might enjoy looking at this piece.Maybe Mr. N will be able to add to his considerable store of knowledge in regard to PNG and particularly Sepik River artifacts.I hope you fellas enjoy this post and if anyone has any questions about the descriptions that accompany each drawing I'd be glad to post em verbatim.
The chart is apprx. 30"x 20" and professionally framed. Sorry about the reflection/glare on the pix but I am reluctant to mess with this thing so I can't tell if it's a print or a drawing under the glass. Imho, I feel like it's probably from an anthropology class-but that's just a guess.

As it hangs in my tikiroom

top left corner

top center

top right

bottom right

botton center

Sorry, didn't get a bottom left or bottom center shot
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-12-31 22:10 ]

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2012 10:32 PM

Wow dude. Thanks for posting this. I'll try reading the details tomorrow when I'm sober.

Happy new year

[ Edited by: Dagg 2013-01-01 11:07 ]

D
Dagg posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2013 8:08 PM

Holy crap that took forever! I've spent the better part of the last day and a half researching this thing! (except for last night when I was drunk and posting stupid shit on the inter web)

Drum roll please.

I'm pretty sure it's a
Aibom meri from the Japandai village in the middle Sepik.

Here is one
http://www.addoway.com/viewad/Aibom-Meri-Statue-Handcarved-Coal-Carrier-Japandai-Oceanic-Art-Papua-Guinea-32A1-1560905

And one on TC
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14409&forum=5

And some info here (same verbiage as the TC linky...)
http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/sepikriv/sepikmid/japandai.htm

Phew it's not African! :wink:

Any ideas on the origin of this? I like it, but I'm not sure if it's Polynesian, Micronesian, African or what.
It isn't my picture.

It looks Indian (Hindi)?

C

Hi there,

I'm new to this whole tiki thing, and know very little about it. I am not even sure if the carving that has sat at my door for the past 10 years is a tiki, but that is what I've been told it is. I'm keen to learn more, and have heard that different Gods can be represented in these carvings, and was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the one that I have? I think it's the most awesome piece of art everrrr. (see picture).

Canvas, Welcome to tiki central. That's a tiki indeed. Unfortunately, it's the "tiki of bad luck" Get rid of it quick. P M me for my address and send it asap!
Nice find Canvas. Many of us here would like for you to share more about this guy-demensions, where he might have come from,how you got him,etc. If there are marking's on the back or bottom please post pix.
mahalo

He came from Hawaii, most likely. Carved by members of a Samoan family, for the tourist trade. They are very prolific, these carvings have shown up at Pacific Islander fairs in L.A. too. They come in all shapes and sizes, I like their walking sticks and knife handles.

Yours has some different features, and a darker stain, it might be from an older generation.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-01-15 18:34 ]

C

He(?*) came from a garage sale here in Australia. It is an incredibly heavy carving, very heavy wood, hence the fact that he's lashed to the table. If it fell on anyone, there would be some serious injuries. It's about 1.5 meters tall. I plan to do some paintings based around it.

*I am not sure what words to use re: Tikis. In Australia, Aboriginal Art can be very spiritual/sacred and we are careful with terminology so as not to cause offence.

[ Edited by: Canvas 2013-01-15 18:49 ]

This site is all about the American version of Polynesian art and culture in the mid-20th Century - and its revival in the 90s and 2000s. It was a mainland fantasy detached from the actual Pacific islands, where one would have had to be more conscientious about the original cultures. It is not intentionally dis-respectful of them, but creatively free from worries about political correctness. One could say that its re-appreciation today celebrates the involuntary humor inherent in cultural fakery:

http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php

C

Ah, cool. I guess if my tiki is made for the tourist trade, it's all good.

S

Anyone recognize this style of carving? or patterning? Was purchased in Rotorua, New Zealand. I think it's Maori but is not in the traditional Maori style.
Maybe it's from another Polynesian island. The eyes look like quartz shaped into 6 sided gems with a flat top. Carved from a dense light yellow wood that has a straight grain. Cheers

Mahalo for chiming in Bigbro. I recall seeing very similar "hacked" pieces being carved by a group of young men at the Aloha Bowl (Oahu) a couple of years ago. I have several that I've snagged here in the L A area at thrift's, garage sales, etc.
Canvas, I like yours a lot , seems to me it has more detail than most.
Cheers

On 2013-01-15 20:05, Shrivle wrote:
Anyone recognize this style of carving? or patterning? Was purchased in Rotorua, New Zealand. I think it's Maori but is not in the traditional Maori style.

Definitely Maori. It's a cribbage board. Here's another one in a different style:

Only question about yours is: Made for home use or tourist trade?

So anyone know about this lamp I just got:

Guanko style or tribute? Production or one off? and finally,Where was it from?

Buzzy Out!

Maybe Cook Island Maori? I googled "Cook Island" and then clicked on "images". Warning: You will get sidetracked with the abundance of wonderful pix of Island carvings
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-15 20:27 ]

On 2013-01-15 20:06, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Mahalo for chiming in Bigbro. I recall seeing very similar "hacked" pieces being carved by a group of young men at the Aloha Bowl (Oahu) a couple of years ago. I have several that I've snagged here in the L A area at thrift's, garage sales, etc.
Canvas, I like yours a lot , seems to me it has more detail than most.
Cheers

Indeed, the yes and nose are more balanced and better sculpted, the whole body too. That's why I am thinking that an elder in that family business might have carved it, and the stuff we see nowadays is his kids, literally and figuratively.

On 2013-01-15 20:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Maybe Cook Island Maori? I googled "Cook Island" and then clicked on "images". Warning: You will get sidetracked with the abundance of wonderful pix of Island carvings

Well would that be from the Cook Islands, or from the Maori in New Zealand? - two distinctly different styles. It is neither, it is Hawaiian Ku, but Buzzy already knows that. His question was if it could possibly be based on Milan Guanko's style, a Filipino carver in the US.

Buzz-man, I don't think this is Guanko, or Bumatay. But I have seen that style before somewhere, just can't pin it down...O.A. might have an idea.

On 2013-01-15 20:46, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2013-01-15 20:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Well would that be from the Cook Islands, or from the Maori in New Zealand? - two distinctly different styles. It is neither, it is Hawaiian Ku, but Buzzy already knows that. His question was if it could possibly be based on Milan Guanko's style, a Filipino carver in the US.

Buzz-man, I don't think this is Guanko, or Bumatay. But I have seen that style before somewhere, just can't pin it down...O.A. might have an idea.

I should learn how to use the "quotes" function at the bottom of each post. I was responding to the Canvas' cribbage board and should have said Cook Island Maori as opposed to N. Z. Maori.
Mahalo Bigbro

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 546 replies