Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Hut....The inside done .... outside begins...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 211 replies

Quick update.

I spruced up the corner a little and added some more nautical finds by the ship door

I've got dad carving 6 moai 4x4 posts that will be part of the bridge leading to the fake front doors

I've been routing the top board that will complete the Rapa Nui door trim around the side door

It'll go in the blank spot above the door

Lastly I'm working on the extension for the front beam that is above the soon to be bridge.

H

Love what you have done with your place.

Loving your hut so far!
But what's really getting me is, that your dad is helping you with all this. My dad built me a tiki bar for my high school graduation (just a simple outdoor thing), and seeing your posts is bringing back memories of my parents agreeing to me basically taking over the backyard with tiki torches and pink flamingos one summer.
I think they're pretty happy I got married and dragged all my tiki stuff out of their house and into my tiny apartment....

I'm really loving all the details. This is looking fantastic!

Thanks all. Its slow going, but to me the details and getting it exactly how I want it is worth the wait.

okoolihau, its very special to me that dad is part of it. He's my right hand man for everything from lifting heavy stuff, giving me advice on how to build stuff, to all the 3 dimensional carving. Flat I can do, but the bridge poles, shelving supports, etc, I have him do.
I was complaining I couldn't do 3 dimensional, and to show me that I could learn he taught himself and started doing it. His plan backfired though, I still can't carve and now he's super busy doing all my carving lol. He's a great guy and helps me with anything I need.

and now because dad reads tiki central anonymously I'd like to say.... "hey hobo, you got 4 more bridge poles to do... get to work pal"

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 23, 2015 8:58 PM

Hadn't checked out this thread until now. Hut looking great. GROG like.

Really wonderful space! Looks like a great place to escape. Nice job!!

Love the carving of the Moai being lifted (I started to put "erected" and changed my mind :lol: )
So great that you and your dad are working together on this project. Did lots of projects with my dad but now he has a hard time making it to the bathroom and back :(

Top piece of the door trim done

Looking awesome!

Quick question... this photo, are those real port holes or?

The inside are real ship portholes.
Under construction pic from a few years back

The outside rings for large portholes rarely exist. Many were just attached to the ship and a hole was cut. So I had to have metal rings created for the outside. They are the exact same size with the exact same bolt pattern.

I then had to create a tunnel between the 2 pieces to cover the open wall and connect the inside and outside rings. That has been the hardest part. What materials and glue to use has been several years of trial and error. It seems like I finally figured it out though.

I also had removable metal covers made to go on the outside, to keep out light, bad weather, etc.

Erich

Awesome! Great detail!

BK

WOW! Details, details, details. Fine work!

Awesome

Just finished routing a new sign for the disney area

I made a new frame for a Maori linen cloth I've had for like 20+ years.

Nice job on the frame, it matches the images on the cloth really well.

Somehow I missed seeing this earlier. I love the door trim. That top piece is killer!

Lookin great Bruddah
Outstanding work as usual
Still waitin for a pic of your velvet paintings

Cheers

Thanks

Most of my velvets are just crappy generic ones, you know, boats with huts in background stuff, no cool nudes or hula girls or anything cool, except the pair of hibiscus ones, they are pretty cool. No room in the hut. They will have to hang out in a box in the garage for awhile.

H

Very nicely done.

My newest additions

A

Either of those tikis get a 'wow' - you know you've got a big room if it can accommodate a tiki bigger than you!

I like the cannibal one :)

Maori is around 7 ft. Luckily my beams are at 8 ft and the roof peaks up from there.

I'm not sure where I'm gonna put either one of them, but I had to have them.

H

Love both of those tikis no matter what size.

Cha Ching
Score

WOW! Both are cool but that Maori one is to die for. For me it's like either a tiki like that or my wife, haha. Can you tell us a little more of the background of both tiki. Erich you lucky dog.

Thanks

What I've gathered so far...

The maori tiki is exactly like the one in the old Jungle & Sea Imports catalog that was in there showroom. Hang10 found another one in a hotel lobby in hawaii somewhere that was stained darker. The Tonga Lei restaurant had one too, except it had 4 fingers instead of 3. Who carved them originally, I don't know. The bottom is carved "hencho in mexico". So it seems Jungle & Sea Imports claims of importing items from all over the South Pacific might have been stretched slightly lol.

The cannibal is really close to the one at the Kon Tiki Cleveland. Not the same one, but no doubt carved by the same person. Happy Buddah made mention of a hispanic carver who did cannibals. I searched around and came up with the name Demetrio Chavez. Maybe he carved it, maybe not. I think this is going to require a trip to oceanic Arts to ask Bob and Leroy.

Supposedly both tikis were in a liquor store in LA area in the 60's. From there 2 dr's had them in their house. I bought them the guy who bought them from the dr's.
The only LA liquor store I can come up with so far is in this link
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47899&forum=1&hilite=liquor%20store%20park

So thats what I know so far.

Thanks Erich for the interesting info. Appreciate it.

PP

LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been working on the outside areas around the hut. Built a fence to block the view of the propane tank. Still decorating right now, but heres a few pics...

wow! awesome !!! love it!!!!

Fence and lean-to finished

H

Love this, great job. Love nautical themed environment.

D
Danno posted on Thu, Jun 23, 2016 7:28 AM

Everything looks great! I especially like the cannon! Awesome!

Just Wow! First time looking at your build. I thought your first hut looked great but the new one is just way above. Portholes, cool idea; ships door, outrageous. This is a destination bar for sure. Nice carving on the tiki and woodwork pieces.

BTW see that you are in SoCal, are you in an earthquake zone and if so how are you securing all the items. Thanks for showing off your new digs.

Just Wow! First time looking at your build. I thought your first hut looked great but the new one is just way above. Portholes, cool idea; ships door, outrageous. This is a destination bar for sure. Nice carving on the tiki and woodwork pieces.

BTW see that you are in SoCal, are you in an earthquake zone and if so how are you securing all the items. Thanks for showing off your new digs.

thanks all

Most things are placed down with museum putty and top heavy pieces have 2 lb test line around them anchoring them to the wall. The drummers are strapped down at the base.
The hut is built on pylons way down past bedrock, so it doesn't move much during quakes.

knock on wood

Erich

after 4 years I finally put in stairs (which made a lot of people who visit the Hut happy). Added some dock poles too. Refit the door trim and finally removed a rock pile that had been there for 5 years.

Still long ways to go.

Sweet.........

W

Your commitment is inspiring, sir.

Thanks...it has been a never ending journey..lol

My new addition to the hut...

F

Daaaaymm! That's an outstanding addition to your collection. Is there a story behind how you acquired it? Your Hut is looking better and better, man. I hadn't seen the update with the stairs before. Nice work.

Cheers to your new PNG!
:drink:
Ryan

[ Edited by: Finky099 2017-04-03 20:59 ]

H

Looks great, love it.

Thanks guys.

No great story really. I go searching for stuff 2-3 days a week..sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. Lately I've I had a few good hits. lol

Dad found a porthole recently that is real historical. I need to post about it on here, I just keep forgetting.

I also put my hut on critiki finally.

https://www.critiki.com/location/the-tiki-hut-yucaipa-991/

I am in love with that Maori....what a thing of beauty. If you ever have to sell him, put my name on the list. I don't have any PNG, yours are great. FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS

I decided to build a deck between the Hut and the Lean-to. I cut slightly into the mountain, built it almost entirely out of wood recycled from my parents rebuilding their carport. Filled it full of cool stuff. I'm happy with it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 211 replies