Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Hut....The inside done .... outside begins...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 211 replies

Well, the mug portion of the decoration has started. 30 ft of shelf was not nearly enough for the collection. Busted out some of the coco joes too...and I'm realizing about 16 ft of shelf won't hold all of them...

Time to re-think the wall layout and the shelf situation...

Here's a peek

Looking good! That plain brown door is just begging for a tiki mask or something....

Loving the progress pics. Keep them coming!

yeah, the door is gonna take some thinking. Whatever goes on it should be maori related and it can't be too busy (like tapa) to take away from all the super detail of the trim.
I'm thinking a mask will take away from the Tikis on the trim...Or at least that's my thinking anyway....

Maybe a huge maori war club?

I'm just gonna leave it plain for now... Hopefully I'll figure it out later.

G

Amazing stuff! I already see a couple of things I'm going to borrow from you. Very inspirational.

PP

I see lots of pricey mugs, are you using anything to secure them since we both live in earthquake country?

I used super glue to hold them all down......

Just kidding. They all have museum putty on them... some even have a light strand of fishing wire around them in addition to the putty.

PP

On 2014-09-19 00:33, ErichTroudt wrote:
I used super glue to hold them all down......

Just kidding. They all have museum putty on them... some even have a light strand of fishing wire around them in addition to the putty.

very cool! Ive got some of that too!!! nice job on the fishing line, cant even see it!!! maybe cuz Im drooling over all the mugs and awesome carpentry !!

Just a few progress pics....

Barrels, crate and nautical stuff all stacked up that hide the dvd and cable box

Few updates.... The inside is basically 2 shelves and 2 chair cushions away from being done.

Added some more maori pieces next to the door trim

New shelf for the treasure craft collection

Some new lighting that changes color by remote

Disney tiki area

Decanters

Trash Can

New shelf with Moai supports (Thanks Dad for carving them)

PP

awesome as always!!!!!! loving the decorating phase of the bar!!!!

Unbelieveable!!! Wonderful craftsmanship, can't wait to see what you do next, keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to us all.

Love your expansions...funny how our collections keep creeping.

Thanks for the nice words...

Here's that new shelf again, It filled up quick with coco joes ashtrays...

Dad carved the legs for the last shelf in the hut.... The inside is basically done now. I plan on having some really nice pics taken. Good pics in low light is definitely a problem.

Come spring the plan is to start work on the outside... reeding, bamboo, bridge, lava rock, tons of nautical stuff....

H

Nice.

Beautiful work! Did you get a pic with a bit of snow on it from Wednesday morning? It was still on the shoulders of the 10 when I was off to Palm Springs that morning.

Tikis always look funny in snow. I actually still have snow in the shady spots in the yard and on parts of the house facing north.

To finish off the disney enchanted tiki room area, I carved Ngendei the earth balancer.

F

Wow, Erich, your tiki hut is fantastic! Great work. Love the Tiki Room corner.
Cheers!
:drink:

Thanks....

Working on taking low light, realistic pics.... in other words, without a bunch of filters....

Awesome Bro
Killer.................l..

FM

It's looking fantastic! Are you using the earthquake hold type of putty just in case?

Thanks guys

Yeah, most of the expensive pieces and/or heavy pieces are earthquake puttied down. Eventually a lot more stuff will get it too, once I finish moving stuff around. A few pieces even have hidden straps and fishing line around them.

solid work.

nicely done

I LIKEY!

When I went to Kauai In November I had a chance to meet Bill Collins. I had long admired his work. I ordered a tiki, came home and waited... yesterday it arrived!!!
Made from a palm from the Coco Palms Hotel...

I'm very happy

H

Tiki looks content at home, great carve, Bill is the best.

Nice! I'm envious.

Looks great! Right at home.

AWESOME!!! Everyone should have a Tiki from Bill...he does a nice job. Looks great in your space.

After 3 years, the inside of The Hut is finally finished.

That's it for now. Hopefully soon I'll get started on the outside, and hopefully It won't take me 3 years to finish.

Erich

H

What a fabulous place, it is so inviting and warm. Love the panels on both sides of the door. You have some very nice pieces at your place, nice job.

That is truly a masterpiece!

Love it, so much awesome!

But wash your mouth out...a tiki bar is NEVER finished :)

PP

pictures cant describe how awesome this place is!!! its even better in person!!! Thanks again for allowing me a chance to visit !!
paul

Looks great!

Freekin awesome bruddah

Beautiful! Thanks for letting us enjoy all the photos.

Yes, turn off any white lights, puts on "Quiet Village" in the background, relax in your soft cushion rattan chair, drink in your hand, there is no more to life. Great job! All I can do is stare at your photos and imagine I'm there too. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

T

Congratulations. Beautiful work through and through.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the nice responses. While I built it for me and what I wanted, its always nice to know that others appreciate your work.

Its about 95% exactly what I envisioned when I started 3 years ago. There wasn't one part of it that I didn't have a hand in doing. I even pitched in with the carpet installers so I could make that claim lol.

Now on to the outside. I need money, time, and some more knowledge to pull it off. Hopefully it won't take another 3 years.

Before I show the very little progress on the outside of the hut, here are 2 new things for the inside.

Dad carved this for me. One of my favorite pieces in the Hut.

Then about 1 1/2 years ago I bought a Borneo headhunter. I've always wanted one. He was in rough shape. Missing an arm. chunks out of noses and heads, crack in the leg.
I gave him to my buddy who is amazing building stuff out of clay and epoxy putty. Extremely talented artist who can make something new look 200 years old.
he let the headhunter sit around untouched for 1 1/2 years and then finished him in 3 days. Came out amazing.

Before

After

Now on to the outside...

Long long long way to go....

T

On 2015-05-03 16:02, ErichTroudt wrote:

Wow!! :o :o

Would love to see progress pics of that. Amazing work! Who is this guy?!

Nice piece from your Dad, that's cool.
Your friend with the repair skills, WOW, mad skillZ
The outside of your Hut is killer.....

Really gorgeous work! The completed interior is spectacular -- especially with the lighting you've done. Major kudos!

Your work is an inspiration to me. I am in the infancy (more like embryo) stages of making my own backyard tiki lounge. I hope to have about 1/10th the level of detail you have done and about 1/100 of the quality. Awesome job, you should be proud!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 211 replies