Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Restaurants & Bars with Souvenir Mugs in San Diego

Pages: 1 29 replies

Z

I'll be in San Diego for Tiki Oasis and I'd like to bring home some souvenir mugs. So far I can only find two places with mugs - Bali Hai & Wang's. Are there any others?

You might be out of town now, but the only other place I know that offers mugs is Bar Pink. But they don't have an official mug, it is Munktikis Pink Elephant mug you can order here...
http://www.munktiki.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_22

Looks like they are out now, but they have more regularly.

did you find any other places in sd with mugs??

I am pretty sure that is all. Not too many tiki bars right now.

Trader Morts has a large selection of Tikifarm mugs right now and Freaky Boutiki sells mugs, but they are not location specific.

T

Ballast Point Brewery released their 2nd (Tiki Farm produced) mug- if it's still available, you can get it at either their "Home Brew Mart" location (on Linda Vista Road) or at the Brewery in Scripps Ranch/ Poway- I'd call first. Also, "The High Dive" Bar was carrying the 2nd Ballast Point Tiki Mug there (on Morena Blvd). Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, I should have remembered. I think the High Dive is sold out but a couple weeks back they did still have them at the brewery. I have one of the first run Ballast Point mugs, which I like the look of a lot more. But the new one is cool too and the brewery is a cool visit.

These are the two Bali Hai mugs. Mr. Bali Hai on the right and Goof Punch on the left. Both are under $20 with a drink included. I think the later edition of the Goof Punch mugs are smaller than this one, but still cool. A must for any mug collection! :) Hopefully my wife will want to go to Bali Hai tonight!!!

These are the two Ballast Point mugs. They are a brewery/distillery and not a tiki bar, but they do make their own rum, so they have been selling these for a couple years. The one on the left is the original, which I love. Very intricate details on this mug. They are not selling them anymore, so ebay is your best bet. The one on the right is the current one that they are selling. As of a couple weeks ago they still had plenty. I am not sure the price?

This is the mug from Wang's. Derek Yaniger designed it and I am a big fan of his work. I don't recall what I paid but it was not much. They seemed to still have plenty.

And this is the Pink Elephant that they sell at Bar Pink on their Tiki Tuesday. It costs $30 with a drink and it is made by Munktiki. It does not have their name on it though, but Bar Pink used to be called the Pink Elephant, so it is very fitting. They host a good tiki night with surf bands usually and like 5 or 6 tiki drinks. The drinks are ok (depending on your bartender) and it is very cool of them to do a tiki night. Bar Pink is a very cool bar and a good venue to see bands. I saw Surfer Blood there a few years back.

HT

Either the photo is washed out, or it's a lighter pink than the ones ordered from Munktiki.

Yeah it is just the photo. It is pretty pink!

The High Dive on Morena Blvd started carrying tiki mugs...

They have Tiki Farm's Aquati and it says The High Dive San Diego, CA on the back. They also have the Armada Geddon bowl and the Balast Point Fish Eating Tiki mug, neither of which are marked High DIve.

While at the Bali Hai recently my wife CeCe mentioned that the “The Goof” mug was different then the 2-3 goof mus that we have at home. Sure enough,She was right again. THe larger one is the latest.

Bar Pink has a new Tiki Tony mug. Only 50 produced. It has "Bar Pink" embossed on the back.

[i]On 2013-02-23 22:04, TikiAno wrote:

Also, "The High Dive" Bar was carrying the 2nd Ballast Point Tiki Mug there (on Morena Blvd). Hope this helps.

A good local bar reference.

Sadly, when I was in town this last weekend, the Goof was out of stock at Bali hai. I did get Tiki Tony's pink elephant mug (there are only a few left) at Bar Pink, and an art deco fu manchu at Wang's around the corner. I also picked up a variety of other wonderful pieces at the Freaky Botiki, Trader Morts and Ratt Pack Records. I didn't make it up to Ballast Point Brewery, but I wish I had. This brings my collection up to 75! Many thanks to MissClaireTiki for her help in my Tiki endeavors!

Here is the Swag...

The pinapple head was ordered from Frank's in Las Vegas and waiting for me when I got home.

I also got the new Frankenstien mug and the slot machine mug from Frank's

I know that this an old thread, but can anyone tell me where that mug from Oceanside California came from? I'm visiting my in-laws in Oceanside in February.

It is just a generic tiki mug with a label. You will see them all over Catalina Island as well, but they are not for any specific place. You will have to head down to SD to get these cool mugs :)

T

Here's a (new?) mug from the High Dive. My buddy Kahekili just picked one up there last month.

[ Edited by: Tele295 2015-02-28 11:41 ]

T

That High Dive is a NICE mug, and it's huge. Got one when I was there a year or so ago. Wang's is out of the Fu Manchus. I talked them into selling me one of their restaurant serving mugs. They gave me the one with the fewest chips. Felt bad as I was in from Portland and had come looking for one especial. Nice folks, great food! They said at the time they were thinking about commissioning a new one... I believe ballast point also has a new one?

Wangs is now out of business... Too bad.

Ballast Point got bought out and may not be making liquor anymore... Likely no new BP mugs in the future.

Martin Cate is helping Craft & Commerce open a tiki bar, I'll keep you posted if they come out with a mug.

Times are changing.

T

Was just at High Dive....they no longer have any mugs at all....didn't sound like anything was in the works either.

Ballast point home brew center still had a few of the barrel mug....I got the last one with the red devil which I guess was the limited variant.

On 2016-01-04 14:03, lunavideogames wrote:

Ballast Point got bought out and may not be making liquor anymore... Likely no new BP mugs in the future.

Martin Cate is helping Craft & Commerce open a tiki bar, I'll keep you posted if they come out with a mug.

Times are changing.

This is exactly why you have to take advantage and enjoy these places when you can. First to support them so they hopefully stay in business, but also in case they don't make it...

Kindred in South Park is now having a tiki night every Thursday called Permanent Vacation. They came out with a new Tikifarm mug for the event and they still have some on hand.

Not so much tiki, but it is a 4 eyed wolf and a skull! It also has the bar name and SD, CA on the back. I will get more pics up when I have time.

Kindred is a new metal themed bar with a vegan food menu. They always play metal except for Thursdays.

On 2016-01-25 16:24, lunavideogames wrote:
Kindred in South Park is now having a tiki night every Thursday called Permanent Vacation. They came out with a new Tikifarm mug for the event and they still have some on hand.

Not so much tiki, but it is a 4 eyed wolf and a skull! It also has the bar name and SD, CA on the back. I will get more pics up when I have time.

Kindred is a new metal themed bar with a vegan food menu. They always play metal except for Thursdays.

Luna, I'm curious what kind of cocktail comes in a four-eyed wolf and skull mug at a vegan Metal joint? Looks like there's some kind of fire involved, too (always a plus!)
Cheers!
:drink:

"metal themed bar with a vegan food menu"

That seems like an oxymoron :lol:

Finky, they do not have a particular drink that it is for. You can buy the mug for $20 or get it with a drink for $25. They had a dozen or so drinks that you could choose from, the one I was drinking was the Ancient Astronaut. They kind of randomly put fire in drinks for the first couple hours and then stopped. This was their first tiki night so all of these things might change in the future.

Its a great mug! I believe it was designed by the artist " The Piz" who has recently passed away. The restaurant is pretty fun for something different. Believe me , any drink that is not a nasty craft beer is a welcome addition to South Park.

On 2016-01-04 14:03, lunavideogames wrote:

Times are changing.

Sorry to hear bout Wangs and B P.
Tom at the Bal Hai created dat delish “Paralyzing Pufferfish around Ballast Point Rum.
Later Treg.
Btw, I go to the Palm Spring Wangs whenever I’m in town. Made a dinner resv. via OpenTable-Seems that at least they’re still alive.
I’ll report on the mug status there.

T

Gift shop for The Grass Skirt is not online yet, but it is on my agenda next month.

T

False Idol, too

Bali Hai

False Idol mugs are now sold out.

Pages: 1 29 replies